Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan to Launch September 5th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During E3 this week, Turbine announced that the Lord of the Rings Online expansion, Riders of Rohan, will officially launch on September 5th. The expansion will contain many brand new features to LOTRO including mounted combat as well as a level cap increase to 85.

Introducing Mounted Combat -- Ride into Combat atop your loyal War-steed as you defend the people of Rohan from the forces of Isengard and Mordor. Customize your War-steed’s armor and level its skills over time to aid you in mounted defense of King Théoden’s lands. Mount your steed and gather your fellows to fight against Warbands, contingents of roving wargs and orcs that have been scouted all over the Plains of Rohan! It falls to you to head off and defeat this new threat before they over take the land.

The team has also produced two new videos, one a cinematic look at Riders of Rohand, the other a look at the new features RoR will include.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Are they for real with this trailer?  o.0   At least being owned by WB would have thought them having access to better actors. Don't know what to think of that trailer. /shrug

Also, except for the mounted combat, there isn't much in this expac that stands out! Especially being heavily burned by the previous Rise of Isengard expac.

So lets break Down the expac's advertised features:

- levelcap increase of 10 Levels
    - 1 New zone With bunch of quests
    - Mounted combat + warsteeds
    - Epic book (most likely available to Free players at no cost, just like RoI)

So no New instances? No New Raids? No New skirmishes? AGAIN!

And let me quess? They gonna charge the full monthy again for this aka 50 bucks ofcourse. And for what exactly? Yup! Mounted combat and bunch of standard quests!

Seems Turbine has yet again ignored all the negative feedback regarding the Rise of Isengard expansion and just does the exact same all over again with this expac. /shrug

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Nice.  Mounted combat looks pretty cool.

I agree that the live-action trailer was pretty bad, though.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

so your  complaining shits available to free players? they would still have to pay for the expansion anyways. also the games free to play ;p your still playing even if your paying they need money to keep the game up, if you disliked it that much then just quit ;p 

Originally posted by corvenik so your  complaining shits available to free players? they would still have to pay for the expansion anyways. also the games free to play ;p your still playing even if your paying they need money to keep the game up, if you disliked it that much then just quit ;p 

Already did! This annoucement has instantly cured me from LOTRO! 

Seriously! Just look at Trion's Expansion announcement and all the features it contains.Then compare that to the Riders of Rohan expac!

Turbine should be ashamed of themselves for pushing out, what used to be a Free Book Update in size and Scope, as a fullblown Expansion!

It's insane that we basically have to pay 40 dollars for a questpack + mounted combat!
    They go even a step further now, by excluding exclusive content that gives you an legendary skill for your warsteed, only by paying up 70 bucks for the Legendary Edition! LMAO!

And I am not the only one feeling this way, as the official forums are on fire right now! And rightfully so!

• KhorraxKhorrax Member UncommonPosts: 53

Correction: mounted combat is available for free as well. So yes, you do have to pay 40$ for a quest pack. At least RoI had some nice stuff that in the end made it worthwhile to preorder it (even though I was very disappointed at first). I don't see myselft buying this.

Originally posted by Khorrax Correction: mounted combat is available for free as well. So yes, you do have to pay 40$ for a quest pack. At least RoI had some nice stuff that in the end made it worthwhile to preorder it (even though I was very disappointed at first). I don't see myselft buying this.

Worse. $70 if you want access to the exclusive content + legendary skill for your warsteed!  What a joke Turbine has become. /shrug

I am glad to see the official forums exploding over this! It's time People won't accept this kind of money grabbing practices anymore.

It puts even EA to shame. lol.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

In addition the sixth bag (20 more inventory slots) that was being hyped by Turbine during the last months is only included in the 70$ edition and there is no other way of obtaining this. 

REALITY CHECK

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

ok if this is just one of those fucking mirkwood updates i,m done..not going to be ripped off again like that.if your right Jero i,m out for good this time..i said to all my kin mates a month ago if they screw this one up i,m gone.wtf was that second trailer? huh!

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

cool video but they should have gotten someone with a deeper voice to say the lines his voice was well to girly :x cool video tho

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by corvenik so your  complaining shits available to free players? they would still have to pay for the expansion anyways. also the games free to play ;p your still playing even if your paying they need money to keep the game up, if you disliked it that much then just quit ;p 

Seriously! Just look at Trion's Expansion announcement and all the features it contains.Then compare that to the Riders of Rohan expac!

Turbine should be ashamed of themselves for pushing out, what used to be a Free Book Update in size and Scope, as a fullblown Expansion!

It's insane that we basically have to pay 40 dollars for a questpack + mounted combat!
    They go even a step further now, by excluding exclusive content that gives you an legendary skill for your warsteed, only by paying up 70 bucks for the Legendary Edition! LMAO!

And I am not the only one feeling this way, as the official forums are on fire right now! And rightfully so!

They are?

I just went there to see the backlash and see nothing except the usual stuff. These are the top discsssion in general. Where are you finding this?

Why is this game so sluggish?

pando media booster

Things you DO want to see in LOTRO...

how much would you have done

When can we expect update news ?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

ok just had a look at the cost of this stuff and ita damned expensive..£52 for the top pack..omg guild wars 2 was cheaper than that,wtf are they thinking having such a gap between the content and price..not impressed at all..there will be enough content for sure but that is,nt the point...just hope my turbine points cover it cos i aint paying that amount.

Even £30 for standard expansion is extortion.really gonna have to think about this one.

Originally posted by Sovrath

They are?

I just went there to see the backlash and see nothing except the usual stuff. These are the top discsssion in general. Where are you finding this?

Why is this game so sluggish?

pando media booster

Things you DO want to see in LOTRO...

how much would you have done

When can we expect update news ?

All topics are moved to the Pre-order sub forum under Rise of Isengard forum.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

I haven't logged on to LOTRO for ages. Scenery is nice but the characters just look so old and bland compared with more modern games. Not keen on the way they keep raising the level cap either, seems to be turning into even more of a grind then it ever was. I got a couple of good years out of it but I can't justify spending any more money there.

Personally, I think they've dragged the whole thing out far too long. They should have been in Isengard years ago and we should have been crowning the king by now. 

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Seriously unimpressed with that trailer. Game trailers should not be like this.. it gives no information at all about the new features and shows no gameplay. I dunno which game restarted this trend (probably Skyrim?)... but I wish it would go away.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I will give them one thing, with this expansion they will be the largest game world out there, they were already huge, but this expansion going to be adding a crazy amount of new territory.

Granted most of it should be empty grasslands lol.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Are they for real with this trailer?  o.0   At least being owned by WB would have thought them having access to better actors. Don't know what to think of that trailer. /shrug

Also, except for the mounted combat, there isn't much in this expac that stands out! Especially being heavily burned by the previous Rise of Isengard expac.

And let me quess? They gonna charge the full monthy again for this aka 50 bucks ofcourse. And for what exactly? Yup! Mounted combat and bunch of standard quests!

Seems Turbine has yet again ignored all the negative feedback regarding the Rise of Isengard expansion and just does the exact same all over again with this expac. /shrug

Complain much, especially when you have little information to go on?   I am sure we will find out more in the coming months, maybe you should give them a bit of time to fill the details out.

Personally I think it is great they have another expansion coming out so soon, even Blizzard takes years to put one out.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Awesome stuff.  And yes, I will be getting this expansion.  LOTRO is still one of the largest, and best-looking game worlds on the market.  And it's got a ton of content.  A lot of people panned this game as being a WoW clone, but after playing SWTOR and RIFT, I can honestly say that this is one game that does the WoW-clone thing the right way.  It's a game I always come back to, and I'll be coming back again to check out the new content.  

My only issue with the game, as it has always been, is the combat.  Among the most boring in all of MMOs.  Yet the rest of the game is so deep and solid that I always return, even if the combat doesn't allow me to play for more than a few months before needing a break. 

Turbine did a great job recreating Middle Earth in an MMO setting, and making it a game for role players to truly thrive. 

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Awesome stuff.  And yes, I will be getting this expansion.  LOTRO is still one of the largest, and best-looking game worlds on the market.  And it's got a ton of content.  A lot of people panned this game as being a WoW clone, but after playing SWTOR and RIFT, I can honestly say that this is one game that does the WoW-clone thing the right way.  It's a game I always come back to, and I'll be coming back again to check out the new content.  

My only issue with the game, as it has always been, is the combat.  Among the most boring in all of MMOs.  Yet the rest of the game is so deep and solid that I always return, even if the combat doesn't allow me to play for more than a few months before needing a break. 

Turbine did a great job recreating Middle Earth in an MMO setting, and making it a game for role players to truly thrive. 

i totally agree with just about everything there,but here is my problem.the cost..i dont know where they pluck these prices from but they are way off.especially the difference between standard and collectors,if its called that,not to mention the content difference.i will wait and see if this is gonna be worth it but £30 for an ex pk and £52 for collectors imo is a bit steep.especially when you think that this year they should think about being more competative given that TSW and GW2 are on the horizon.saying that i've bitched and moaned before and ended up buying because its lotro..so they may have me over a barrel lol.when your addcited your addicted.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

They said one region, not one zone.  They never said no instances, raids or skirmishes.  

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Complain much, especially when you have little information to go on?   I am sure we will find out more in the coming months, maybe you should give them a bit of time to fill the details out.

Personally I think it is great they have another expansion coming out so soon, even Blizzard takes years to put one out.

The moment they start with Pre-orders and charging people this kind of money BEFOREHAND, then the current Features presented on the rohan.lotro.com is what we need to make our decision on!

And so far, in history with previous expacs, no new features have ever been added after the pre-order page was up!

Not with MoM, not with Mirkwood, not with Rise of Isengard! It was actually more the other way around!

Only thing they added later on with RoI last year, was to include the 5-Instances pack for Pre-orders as form of damage control due to the outcry on the forums! The instance cluster was initially not meant to be part of the RoI expac and released  months after the expac for a reason. So yes last year there too they tried to charge people 40 bucks for a questpack! As everything else was opened up for free!

And now they try to do the same thing again! Charge 40 bucks for a questpack. As the region, mounted combat, epic book will become available for free, regardless of buying the expac!

People really need to take off their blinders!  If they were to include more, especially something like an instance cluster and Raid. They would have added it to the FAQ page as it's a MAJOR selling point!  

So what you see now on the features page is what you will get! That's it!

But who knows.... if people generate enough rage and anger on the official forums like last year, maybe they will include another instance cluster for free to be launched in december! Just like last year!  /shrug

And even then.... it would still be a rip off! At least last year they had the decency to at least add a bunch of Turbine Points to the pre-order packages!

So this year the deals are even worse than last year! No matter how you slice it!

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by corvenik

so your  complaining shits available to free players? they would still have to pay for the expansion anyways. also the games free to play ;p your still playing even if your paying they need money to keep the game up, if you disliked it that much then just quit ;p 

LOTRO being "free 2 play" is a myth, nothing more. For example, if you want quests past lvl 20, you'll have to buy quest packs. And don't bother saying you can grind to earn the needed TP - you'll have to grind just about every single deed over multiple toons to afford them, if doing it that way.

ALL publishers/devs needs money to keep their games up. But have you tried other f2p games? A lot of them gives you just about all the content free of charge, and mostly charges for fluff. And still they're making money. LOTRO is different, EVERYTHING is about squeezing money out of "free" players. Probably the worst "f2p" model out there.

If I should recommend this game to someone, I'd say go gold. It's not that bad if you buy 3 months at a time, and buy a few TP for additional stuff. But I would never ever recommend LOTRO to someone who wants to play for free.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Netspook

LOTRO being "free 2 play" is a myth, nothing more. For example, if you want quests past lvl 20, you'll have to buy quest packs. And don't bother saying you can grind to earn the needed TP - you'll have to grind just about every single deed over multiple toons to afford them, if doing it that way.

ALL publishers/devs needs money to keep their games up. But have you tried other f2p games? A lot of them gives you just about all the content free of charge, and mostly charges for fluff. And still they're making money. LOTRO is different, EVERYTHING is about squeezing money out of "free" players. Probably the worst "f2p" model out there.

If I should recommend this game to someone, I'd say go gold. It's not that bad if you buy 3 months at a time, and buy a few TP for additional stuff. But I would never ever recommend LOTRO to someone who wants to play for free.

Excuse me, but please elucidate us on what free to play games only offer fluff.  Most f2p games I am aware of, offer things only available via the item shop that are game balancing issues.  I don't know of any that just offer strictly fluff.   I still like Turbine's model better than any other f2p out there.

On that note the pricing for this expansion pack is a bit steep.  

• TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39

there isnt only 1 area!read more!Its bigger than Moria and its 2 raids and instances + skirmishes!

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Netspook

Excuse me, but please elucidate us on what free to play games only offer fluff.  Most f2p games I am aware of, offer things only available via the item shop that are game balancing issues.  I don't know of any that just offer strictly fluff.   I still like Turbine's model better than any other f2p out there.

On that note the pricing for this expansion pack is a bit steep.  

Aion .. for exemple? Not the EU! NcSoft Aion in the US! Then maybe .. Lineage2 ? WoW till lvl 20? :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

To all those who are complaining about this announcement, it's not an NGE, be thankful for that.