Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Reasons to Keep Playing

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Many people are totally ready to write off BioWare's first MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic. But we think there are compelling reasons to keep playing SWTOR. See what we think and whether or not you agree. Weigh in with your comments on the forum!

You had to have seen this one coming, but since it’s a given, I’ve made it my number five. I’m not going to discount it just because it’s expected, as the IP is one of the game’s most attractive features. Face it, being able to live out your Star Wars fantasy is a legitimate hook and Star Wars: The Old Republic does this pretty well on most counts. Sure, it’s not as expansive as Star Wars Galaxies, but the focus on storyline brings the various Star Wars archetypes to life and helps cultivate a sense of personal attachment. This goes a long way in making the game feel like a believable Star Wars experience.

Read more of Mike Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic - Five Reasons to Keep Playing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I don't even need to read the article to know how this thread will end up.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

PvP is Fun*

* For the first game of hutt-ball, after which your experience is not indicative of the advertising hype.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Sorry but the majority has already spoken and still are. Playing and supporting bad games is only hurting the mmo genre.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Your second and fourth reasons basically consist of "the game is bad now, but might be less bad in the future".  If that's not damning with faint praise, then I don't know what is.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Don't forget the most important reason to keep playing:  EA/Bioware needs the money.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It’s Star Wars!

That was enough to try the game, not to keep playing.

Free Transfers & Permanent Free Trials are Coming!

They're a reason to resub once they appear, not to keep playing.

PvP is Fun*

PvP is fun, but it so limited in TOR that it's more repetitive than anything else.

Playing With Others

I can do that in any other game. In TOR it cant be done unless re-rolling to one of the most populated servers, which are also now rapidly losing numbers of people online. *see Free Transfers

Expanding Your Legacy

Legacy is one of those tacked on features that mean nothing other than some stuff we don't need. My Legacy level is already 50 and i gain nothing more than someone who has a Legacy of 25 and even it gave nothing of worth other than the multiple group buffs.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I had so much fun leveling to 50 but once there the fun got sucked out of the game.  I'm so tired of gear grind/raid endgame.  Sadly though I dont know what you would replace it with.  Maybe time for me to find another hobby ;(.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Mephster

Sorry but the majority has already spoken and still are. Playing and supporting bad games is only hurting the mmo genre.

This is a ridicous statement and in my opinion is what is ruining the mmo genre. What you're bascially saying is, " I don't like it and you supporting it is hurting ME". It is absolutely insane to tell someone not to play something they like playing for ANY reason. If they're enjoying it, they should play it. The "bad games" as you have deemed them are still enjoyed by others, even though you may not like them. There are still people playing Eq1 for shits sake... is that hurting you?

I have moved on from Star Wars, but may return in the future. Saying that people supporting the game is hurting the MMO community is nonsense. There's room for everyone to play what they like. 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

I left Swtor because of

- open world pvp failure

- crafting useless

- very low replayability

- engine not suited for an mmo

None of your 5 points changes that. Don't get me wrong. I wish Swtor all the best. I just see no reason to return. Even with the changes, it's still the same as before. It's worth a 1-2 month but still has no longevity which justifies a monthly subscription imo.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Non of these for me are compeling reasons, you could have inserted any of those titled reason into any other game except one.  That one is because its Star Wars.

I only need two reasons to play a game

:1: all or most of my friends are playing

:2: the gameplay is compeling long term and gives me plenty of things to do.

Swtor has neither of those infact even for a casual who works most days it has about 30 days of content worth going for it.

I dislike being a quote "hater" but in this case I find an exception, they managed to take one of the bigges IPs in history and poo'd on it and they continue to poo on it, their patches are slow their excuses are lame and they failed to deliver.  They have one thing going for it with those doctors they seem to be good spin doctors without any music discs to spin.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

I'm looking forward to the restricted trial. Havent been able to get a buddy invite to get a good look at it and its the only Star Wars game I havent been able to play/cry over.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

"It's Star Wars"

IE, the game sucks but you should p(l)ay anyway.

Wake me up when all the gamer suckers out there decide they won't put up with paying for garbage games anymore so we can get something decent for a change.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636

Five reasons, and only two of them are semi-compelling.  Yeah...

• S1LentKillerS1LentKiller Member CommonPosts: 71

After i finished all the class story line what else is there to do? raid? raiding is boreing in this game and PvP just flat out sucks.instead of polishing the game I think they spent way too much money on the voice acting and  cinematics. The world dosn't feel like its alive. Too much of a 1 2 3 point click thing going. I will def give this game a try again in about a year from now just to see if anything improves. English is not my native language Sorry if my grammer is bad.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

The "It's Star Wars!" got me to try the game.  Those jerks at Lucasarts could slap that name on anything.  They know that chumps like me will try it :)

Unfortunately none of those reasons make the game any fun!

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by Mephster

This is a ridicous statement and in my opinion is what is ruining the mmo genre. What you're bascially saying is, " I don't like it and you supporting it is hurting ME". It is absolutely insane to tell someone not to play something they like playing for ANY reason. If they're enjoying it, they should play it. The "bad games" as you have deemed them are still enjoyed by others, even though you may not like them. There are still people playing Eq1 for shits sake... is that hurting you?

I have moved on from Star Wars, but may return in the future. Saying that people supporting the game is hurting the MMO community is nonsense. There's room for everyone to play what they like. 

Yeah so lets keep on supporting failed mmos because someone else likes it. That really does the mmo genre justice...  There have been things that I have liked that peopledone away with but I got over it and moved on to better things. The existing fanbase would get over it and move on to something much better that they deserve. They'll get over it. By the end of the year I bet TOR will have less than 400k playing. So we're going to keep on supporting failed mmo because the minority likes it ? They'll get over it too.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

So the reason to keep playing (now) is because it might get better in the future? Sorry Bioware. But selling your soul to EA was your downfall. Like so many others. Maybe if the entire game went Free2Play I would try it again. But knowing EA, they would probably price gouge the crap out of any Free2Play model they come up with. Sorry, but I have no hope for this one. All the wrong mistakes with all the wrong people.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Really there are only two reasons to play or keep playing SWTOR, firstly if your a Star Wars fan and secondly if your a BioWare fan. 

If you are looking for a genuine MMO experience there are plenty of better options available and coming. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Playing With Others

The problem here is that while you can play with others TOR is doing a lot better job with singleplayer than playing with others. In fact it is my top reason not to subscribe to TOR.

Sorry, Mike but this is not a valid reason to keep playing TOR, it is the number one thing they must fix. They can leave the soloplaying as it is, it is already good but that is not what keep us paying that monthly fee. Playing together with others is the main reason and TOR needs to improve that experience a lot.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Reasons to not play for me:

1)  Game is not fun.

2)  Other games do raiding way better.

3)  Other games do PvP way better.

4)  SWTOR not a priority with EA.

5)  MWO in Beta.

6)  GW2 in Beta.

7)  TSW in Beta.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Coolit

Really there are only two reasons to play or keep playing SWTOR, firstly if your a Star Wars fan and secondly if your a BioWare fan. 

If you are looking for a genuine MMO experience there are plenty of better options available and coming. 

I was a Bioware fan and I am still a Star Wars fan.  But no way in hell I will return to this game. It's done. Too much and too little has happened to save this title.

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

I wonder how painful it was to be tasked with writing this article. 

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

Hmm, don't think I'm sold on it.

I could see still playing if you are a diehard star wars fan or a big roleplayer.  More power to you if you are one of those types.

I can't think of anything more unfun then the PvP in ToR - it's the absolute most repetitive, gear based PvP I've ever seen, anywhere.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

Funny, gating content like class/race combinations, which you don't touch after character creation, behind Legacy – that one goes on my 5 reasons not to play.

Not the mechanic itself, but some of the perks just gives you a glimpse into the Devs' mindset, that I'd rather be without if I was bend on getting back into TOR.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Reasons to not play for me:

1)  Game is not fun.

2)  Other games do raiding way better.

3)  Other games do PvP way better.

4)  SWTOR not a priority with EA.

5)  MWO in Beta.

6)  GW2 in Beta.

7)  TSW in Beta.

Pretty much this ^.

#1 is pretty much the end all for me, but everything else is kind of icing on the cake.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.