Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: F2P to Level 15 Next Month

Comments

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Distopia

Interesting that Cathar was chosen

Charr with a lightsaber?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I didn't even think of that! BAHAHAHAHAHAH! HI - FREAKING - LARIOUS!

This is not a game.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Adamai
    And so it begins !! And I won't be saying I told you so ! The game is brand new and their answer to a mass exodus is free to play transition. You poor poor foolish swtor lovers your crap game is about to get a lot crapper. Its just a matter of time untill they close half the servers ! Swg lasted a good 6 years before they had to close servers down and 8 years before their license ran out ! Swtors license isn't running out! The game is just a pile of steaming shit and will die on its own. And I hope sooner rather than later! We need to free up that license again for a developer that gives a toss.

sorry, you got the right idea but the wrong words.

EA will NEVER let their games go completely f2p.  They only give them unlimited free trials up to the first tier of pvp, which in itself kills the game faster.  People can cancel their subs, pick their favorite class to pve or pvp with, do the stories every possible way you can imagine, since the starter planets have the best flow and stories *well not all of them lol* and they can twink the living shit out of their lvl 15 pvp toon and tier 1 pvp will be thriving and fun and the lvl 16+'s will quit.  Except for the poor few who didn't get the memo and will buy the game and quit after their first month when they realize the world is completely dead of both npc and players.

Also, LA will most likely never give the star wars license to any gaming company that isn't backed by a huge greedy pos coporate whore like EA or Activision because LA doesn't give a fuck about quality of star wars games they care about profit.  Case in point, SWTOR

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Never been happier with any game to date. Swtor is perfect for me,  impressive in any sense, enjoying since start and every day. But it is sad to se population declining. I hope they fix pvp and endgame as I guess that is main problem for many. Not for me however and not for many, I could not care less for pvp in any game. And as altholic I'm playing 12 alts. Only when all will be lv. 50 I will look toward endgame. Or even not as I love also Rift and Wow. With this top 3 games of all times (imo of course) I'm always busy without end game only with pve and questing.

I just hope they never turn to full f2p model. There is no free launch in life. Never been. There is always price to pay sooner or later. All games that are marked as "f2p" are or more expensive via cash shops or are completely unplayable in free model and one need to sub to "optional" sub model.

Originally posted by cronius77

I do not play this game , I cancelled my sub after two weeks playing it and never even made it past I think level 25 on a couple of toons. But the amount of hate from this community for this game is insane. Some of you angry nerds need to seriously get a life or a better job or something where you actually work and do not have time to post so much here. Get laid or something..... Any content added is good for the people that do enjoy playing the game right? I want devs to learn to stop making games that are not innovative just like the rest of you , but man....this game is absolutely no different then Rift is and yet I never ever see hating on that. Some of you guys need to go play minecraft or something.....

I think main problem in this forums is incredible hate community. Never seen something like this, not even with wow. Like somebody have spend a lot of money for creating all this hathred.

As for me, games that I do not play actually, very rarely follow on forums, yet immagine to spend months for basing or spreading hate.

Any hater should think about himself or herself and seek help. I guess aura of negativity is present around them in anything they do in real life, too. Sad.

• kiwiitiskiwiitis Member Posts: 20

Just makes me glad I spent the pre order money on Wurm instead.

Regards

EoC Supporter

Regards Gramps www.theoldergamers.com

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I stopped playing this when I got to 50 and realised the game was incomplete and didn't provide a full MMO experience. I think its good they are continuing to improve the game but would I ever come back? not likly.

I guess after playing RiFT who have a great development team and provide lightning fast fixes the snail pace at which contend and fixes are pushed out by Bioware just puts me right off committing. 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Distopia

Interesting that Cathar was chosen

Charr with a lightsaber?

doubt they'll look like that though. just look at nasty juhani from KOTOR1 (same race as the above pic), it'll probably be another texture color swap like that 

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

F2P to level 15 is a lot of game for people to get through and it does let you find a favourite clas to prgress with to level cap.

Also good to see Bioware showing lots of new content is on the way.SWTOR looks a safe bet as a sub mmo for the 2012.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

I fail to see how raising the level cap should negatively influence Legacy traits, as Legacy traits are only an incentive to level more alts. However, a level cap raise would make all top-tier gear useless, so people would have to grind higher tier gear to match the higher level. (Unless the gear would be moddable). Not that it can be helped; that's just something that comes with the design. (Almost all themepark MMOs have this in one way or the other).

Originally posted by Coolit

I stopped playing this when I got to 50 and realised the game was incomplete and didn't provide a full MMO experience. I think its good they are continuing to improve the game but would I ever come back? not likly.

I guess after playing RiFT who have a great development team and provide lightning fast fixes the snail pace at which contend and fixes are pushed out by Bioware just puts me right off committing. 

"I stopped playing this when I got to 50 and realised the game was incomplete and didn't provide a full MMO experience.". Can you be more explicit? What exactly you discovered at lv. 50 that suddenly felt game was incomplete? I have currently 4 lv. 50 and 8 close and do not feel anything remotely close to this. Besides, what you attribute to Trion bellow is just what Bio does, lighting fast fixes and rest.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

F2P? Yeaaaah, who didn't see that coming from a mile away?

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Question. If you decide to play past 15 do you need to buy the game and pay a sub? Will the free accounts be counted as subs to the shareholders? "Look we have 5 mil people".

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Question. If you decide to play past 15 do you need to buy the game and pay a sub? Will the free accounts be counted as subs to the shareholders? "Look we have 5 mil people".

Yes.

And shareholders only care about the incoming $.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yeah, I tried to bet a sandbox smasher that this would happen, and they wouldn't do it, said TOR would give free time or levels, way before SWG in its timeline did...Since they were running their mouth before the decline about how great TOR was.

Bad mix of styles and makeup for a mmo imo....I think total f2p is on the way.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by punkrock
    *rolls eyes* that is not F2P! man when will trion,blizztard,EA get that it is a trial not F2P.

Bingo.

It's complete word-play. Shameless semantic marketing nonsense. They're cashing in on the newfound popularity of the whole "free!" thing everyone else has been doing.

2 years ago, maybe less, they'd have simply called it a "Free Trial up to Level 15", just like everyone else.

It's exactly the same thing. This is not some new paradigm they've discovered. MMOs have had free trials up to a certain level for a long time now. Only they called them Trials.

There have been MMOs that allow you to play a huge chunk of the game with only certain parts of it being locked behind a subscription fee or some other kind of purchase. They haven't called them "Free To Play". They've called them "restricted access", or some other similar description. Runescape has had this model for a long time now.

I guess "Free To Play" yields better results than "Free Trial" in their "market research", and that's why they insist on using that terminology now.

The failure, or perhaps just plain old disinterest, of people to think critically and recognize the difference in meaning between different terms - or more specifically - the deliberate misuse of them (e.g. calling a free trial "free to pay") for marketing purposes, is quite amazing to me. And sad.

You have people calling GW2 "free to play" because there's no subscription, while completely ignoring the fact that you have to actually buy the game first. If you have to buy something before you can use it, it isn't free. That's like.. basic logic 101 there. Hell that's pre-101. Yet, how many people do you see making that claim over and over again, ad nauseum.

It's the same thing with calling Diablo III a MMORPG. It's not a MMORPG. It's an action RPG, just like its predecessors were, and still are. Blizzard refers to it as an Action RPG on their site, while they refer to WoW as a MMORPG. MMORPG and Action RPG are not the same thing, neither by definition, nor design.

And so now we have developers/publishers pushing out this new nonsense, cashing in on the phrase "Free To Play!" in order to attract more people into what is just a good old-fashioned Limited Free Trial.

• Sourd420Sourd420 Member Posts: 63

EA louse .....its not in your game

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

When I was your age we called these new high-fangled F2P-to-X-level "trials".

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

Im boycotting all EA games now. Im effectively boycotting them for the rest of my Life. I will not even suggest to my friends that they play with free trial.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I wonder if they are doing this to increase the "active accounts" before the next share holder meeting.

Sounds about right, they will then claim the population has risen even though 90% of them will be f2p on the trial.

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Dranny
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I wonder if they are doing this to increase the "active accounts" before the next share holder meeting.

Sounds about right, they will then claim the population has risen even though 90% of them will be f2p on the trial.

This is the main reason they are doing this. To save face in front of share holders.

• moreblahblahmoreblahblah Member Posts: 58

This will give all those people Bioware layed off something to do while looking for a job.

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

Yea great idea, take an already linear very small and guided leveling experience divide it by 4 and let ppl go crazy. It takes what, 3 hours to get to lvl 15, so after a new customer gets to lvl 15 with the first toon theyll go back try another toon and...we all know the conclusion. Better idea was just make the gaem f2p at least ppl would lvl to 50 to see what all the fuss is about instead of finding out so fast.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by Reizla

I knew it... Now it's F2P up to level 15, and soon after (2 more months?) SWToR will be fully F2P...

I do kinda feel sad for those who bought the boxes though....

2 years ago now, Ray Mazuka said something along the lines of "We have an interesting payment model in mind" I imagine EA beat them down to standard $15pm subscription over the following 2 years, but still back then F2P was earmarked as the way of the future and even though it didnt happen at launch it doesnt mean its entirely off the table.

Feel sad for me, I bought a standard pre-order from the US (cos at the time I was redzoned, another fucking disaster btw) got my early access codes & played the game wanting to really like it, found it a complete snoozefest & decided to cancell my pre-order. Ummd and Ahhd and never got around to doing it, game is still here sealed in its plastic. I have it listed on ebay at the moment but I am going to have to take a loss on the price...

Oh well.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Wow, this thread is full of whole new levels of hate fueled stupid, impressive even for this site. "FtP" to level 15 is "proof" the game is doing poorly? You mean like WoW and Rift *snort*. Oh, and it means the game's going full-on FtP any minute now, right? Just like WAR, which has had unlimited trial in T1 for how long now?

New content, a new race, new planet, new instances, new PvP, but, hey, let's focus on the one thing that, if you wear your tinfoil hat and squint just right, you can mold with white hot hatred into some semblance of a hint that the game may not be doing well.

Because the whole "FtP" for the first few levels is new and shocking, unheard of in the industry and not predictable at all.

MMORPG.com, where the only good game is one that hasn't been released yet.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Myria

MMORPG.com, where the only good game is one that hasn't been released yet.

Actually, I think it was discussed yesterday that the only good game is the one that hasn't been announced yet.

[mod edit]

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil