Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[mod edit] Diablo 3 is a great game

ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

[mod edit] 

Facts:

• I was never unable to play when I wanted to for more than 1 hour.  I know that the game was down at times and I guess I was just incredibly lucky.  It seemed like a flawless launch server wise from my end of things.  I started the minute it launched at 3am est and played a lot the first few days and really I saw no problems.  I do believe I may have been logged in when they had a long login issue though so again I was lucky to not D/C during this.
  • I have always used an authenticator, I was not hacked, none of my friends were hacked, and I was told that there may have been a keylogger in a popular 3rd party tool, but also there may be session hijacking.  No clue, never affected me or anyone I knew.  I do know Blizz is great about restoring your account though so I am really not worried at all.
  • I have played around 175 hours of Diablo 3.  I have a 60 Demon Hunter that can clear or farm anywhere in Inferno, but currently like to do Whimsyshire runs.  I also have a 52 Monk that will be 60 before too long.  I have had 9 legendaries drop for me, and have had some pretty lucky rolls. 
  • I never abused a single exploit, trick, etc. 
So getting those out of the way I can continue.  It seems like people have been freaking out about server stability/worst launch ever/hacking.  None of these applied to me.

Positives:
  • Inferno is an incredibly challenging experience even with good gear.  I have had to be on my toes and playing with peak concentration to handle many parts of it.  It is hard, and in my opinion a really fun experience.
  • Gear lottery.  I can't express what it felt like when I had my first set legendary item drop, and then when I identified it and realized it was a near perfect roll.  It sold for 8 million gold on the AH, and normally I would not sell something like this, but it was for a class I will never play. 
  • The AH is a blast and is like a mini game.  I have earned around 15-20 million gold from farming and buying low/selling high and it has really been a fun add in to a gear lottery game.
  • Randomness of areas, mobs, rares/elites really makes for a varied experience especially once farming Inferno.
  • The variance in classes and builds really is impressive.  I constantly tweak builds for different areas, groups vs solo, just for the fun of it.  The classes are really well designed and playing my Monk vs DH makes it like a different game.
  • The story.  I love it, love the way it progresses, and love the little twists.  I am a big fan of Diablo lore though.

Areas for Improvement:
  • Inferno and different classes and different affixes need to be tweaked.  Some combinations are simply impossible for some classes.  This isn't too bad as I think Inferno should have combinations that certain classes just can't beat, but it seems like some classes have the short end of the stick.  It will take time to see how Barbs and Monks do once properly geared.  It may be pretty balanced, but currently a ranged player just needs a badass weapon while Monks and Barbs need a full set of badass gear.  I think that this may be blown out of proportion though.  It took around 15 mill in gear for my DH to really feel comfortable in Inferno and I think I can make my Monk even be able to tank with the right build for close to that.
  • There needs to be more open world, more randomness, and more exploration type areas.  I really hope we get this in the first expansion.  The randomness is there but it is too tightly bound.
  • Itemization needs monitoring/tweaking.  Legendaries currently don't even come close to near perfect rolled blues even.  I would like for there to be an expansion where the best items can be dropped over a wide variety of places.  I don't like being bound to farm the most advanced area you can.  I think they should have higher percentage to drop at more advanced areas, but they should still drop all over.  The end game is farming a variety of locations so this shouldn't be bound.
  • The AH needs more options, the ability to cancel an item if it has no bids in the first 6 hours possibly.  Another filter option would also be nice.  The most valuable tool would be one where when you drop your item it calculates average prices for similar items. 
  • Diablo 3 needs mini games.  PvP will be huge, but there could also be a form of gambling/lottery, or really anything to sink some time into between farming.
  • A mobile AH app would be huge because this really is like a game within itself. 
  • They have got to open the RMAH already.  The game is already being flooded in general chat with gold seller spam.  It won't stop until the RMAH gets going and even then it may be too late if these companies take a hold of the game, and I see prices of items staying too high for what they are because of this.  I understand why they are taking their time.  They have been having AH issues and they need to iron it out.
  • The chat/social interfaces could definitely be expanded on.
  • The story could have been more fleshed out, and there are areas that could be a bit more expanded on. 

Overall I would give the game a 8.5/10 in its current state.  I haven't had this much fun or been this addicted to a game in way too long.  Who would have though it would happen with a non MMORPG?  I really am losing faith/love for MMO's and I am glad I have Diablo 3 to play for the next couple years waiting for something to change.  I think Diablo 3 has insane potential and could grow to something great like it's predecessor. 

Comments

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Prepare for the wave of mad about to hit this thread.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I'm glad you are enjoying the game. 

I don't believe for a second you've never experienced server issues if you've played since launch. 

You WILL get hacked without an authenticator. It's not a matter of if, but when. You think you're smart, but hackers who feed their families selling your items are smarter.

Your gold auction house "mini-game" will soon be a real money mini-game. With blizzard taking a double cut of every transaction.

That being said, Diablo 3 was fun for a playthrough of normal. If Blizzard didn't charge $60 for it I'm sure "haters" would be much less upset. As it stands, with the way drops/inferno is tuned, the game is more a scam to make Blizzard money than an actual game.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by ProfRed
    Originally posted by Khaeros

Haha I could care less.  Gamers are dramatic school girls these days.  I don't even know how to talk to someone who hates a game so much, but then spends tons of time and effort slamming it on forums.  I can't imagine ever being like that, and not just finding a game I like and playing it. 

Yes, throwing obvious flamebait makes you a way way better person.

You beat the game on the cheat class, ok, we know it, you've posted it on at least 3 different threads. Now do the same on your monk.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

I don't believe for a second you've never experienced server issues if you've played since launch. 

I know my friends said the same thing, but honestly I played a ton and never had an issue.  I think there was a day when people couldn't login for 6 hours or so.  I was at a tennis/pool party and got smashed, woke up hungover and played all day.  Then I know early people couldn't login but I was logged in playing through the whole thing.  The only time I couldn't play was during scheduled maintenance.  Take it for what its worth, but I wouldn't lie about something as petty as this.

You WILL get hacked without an authenticator. It's not a matter of if, but when. You think you're smart, but hackers who feed their families selling your items are smarter.

I tried not to comment on this.  Out of my 8 other friends who play I am the only with an authenticator and none have been hacked.  I don't know enough about what is going on.  I heard there may be a keylogger in Darkd3 which would not be Blizzard's fault in any way.  I also heard there was session hijacking if you play public games with random people and they open up a trade window with you or something of this nature.  This may be because we have a group of 8-9 friends and when we play online we play together.  I have rarely played in random public games so again I may be lucky.  I do know that Blizz is good about restoring accounts.  If there is session hijacking hopefully it gets fixed soon.  Again though, hard for me to comment on this.  If my friends or I were hacked maybe it would be an issue.  I have a free mobile authenticator.  I never thought twice about not having one.

Your gold auction house "mini-game" will soon be a real money mini-game. With blizzard taking a double cut of every transaction.

I saw this argument left and right pre launch.  The fact is that every service that lets you sell something through it to make money charges fees.  This can be debated endlessly with people on both sides.  I have programmed an App for iPhones with a friend.  I only put in like 30 hours of work, but my friend over 200 hours.  Just to sell it on the marketplace Apple took a ridiculous cut.  This is Blizz giving us virtual items just for playing a game, no work involved at all, and allowing us to sell them within the system.  I think their fees are perfectly fine.  I think the RMAH is a must to combat gold sellers/bots/out of game RMT.  I don't see any reason to argue this further.  I am not here to debate or anything as I am about to start playing again, and avoid forums for a couple more weeks until the trolls move on.

That being said, Diablo 3 was fun for a playthrough of normal. If Blizzard didn't charge $60 for it I'm sure "haters" would be much less upset. As it stands, with the way drops/inferno is tuned, the game is more a scam to make Blizzard money than an actual game.

The game isn't made to be one and done.  I am still severely addicted after playing through normal, nightmare, hell, inferno, normal, nightmare, hell, and farming all throughout.  Drops in Inferno are fine.  I have had plenty of solid drops and the AH lets me exchange ones basically that aren't for my class for an equal class item.  When I say I have 15 million gold worth of gear on my DH it is because I sold 15 million gold worth of gear from drops of other classes, or straight up found the items myself farming.  My only complaint is that gear is restricted based on progression.  It should be all of Inferno drops the same gear, with % chances rising at the end. 

This is a complex game that you have to work hard at to get the most out of at end game.  It isn't something you can sink just 50 hours into and expect to faceroll everything.  I think for a vast majority of haters the game is simply too hard for them.  Take the time when you hit inferno to gear yourself and figure out what works.  It is hard as hell...

I know my friends said the same thing, but honestly I played a ton and never had an issue.  I think there was a day when people couldn't login for 6 hours or so.  I was at a tennis/pool party and got smashed, woke up hungover and played all day.  Then I know early people couldn't login but I was logged in playing through the whole thing.  The only time I couldn't play was during scheduled maintenance.  Take it for what its worth, but I wouldn't lie about something as petty as this.

I tried not to comment on this.  Out of my 8 other friends who play I am the only with an authenticator and none have been hacked.  I don't know enough about what is going on.  I heard there may be a keylogger in Darkd3 which would not be Blizzard's fault in any way.  I also heard there was session hijacking if you play public games with random people and they open up a trade window with you or something of this nature.  This may be because we have a group of 8-9 friends and when we play online we play together.  I have rarely played in random public games so again I may be lucky.  I do know that Blizz is good about restoring accounts.  If there is session hijacking hopefully it gets fixed soon.  Again though, hard for me to comment on this.  If my friends or I were hacked maybe it would be an issue.  I have a free mobile authenticator.  I never thought twice about not having one.

I saw this argument left and right pre launch.  The fact is that every service that lets you sell something through it to make money charges fees.  This can be debated endlessly with people on both sides.  I have programmed an App for iPhones with a friend.  I only put in like 30 hours of work, but my friend over 200 hours.  Just to sell it on the marketplace Apple took a ridiculous cut.  This is Blizz giving us virtual items just for playing a game, no work involved at all, and allowing us to sell them within the system.  I think their fees are perfectly fine.  I think the RMAH is a must to combat gold sellers/bots/out of game RMT.  I don't see any reason to argue this further.  I am not here to debate or anything as I am about to start playing again, and avoid forums for a couple more weeks until the trolls move on.

The game isn't made to be one and done.  I am still severely addicted after playing through normal, nightmare, hell, inferno, normal, nightmare, hell, and farming all throughout.  Drops in Inferno are fine.  I have had plenty of solid drops and the AH lets me exchange ones basically that aren't for my class for an equal class item.  When I say I have 15 million gold worth of gear on my DH it is because I sold 15 million gold worth of gear from drops of other classes, or straight up found the items myself farming.  My only complaint is that gear is restricted based on progression.  It should be all of Inferno drops the same gear, with % chances rising at the end. 

This is a complex game that you have to work hard at to get the most out of at end game.  It isn't something you can sink just 50 hours into and expect to faceroll everything.  I think for a vast majority of haters the game is simply too hard for them.  Take the time when you hit inferno to gear yourself and figure out what works.  It is hard as hell...

It's not worth the time and effort you have to put into playing the AH though. The "fun' that was found in diablo 2 was finding items to better yourself. Diablo 3 is all about finding / selling 1000 pairs of Int pants so that you can "maybe" buy an upgrade from the Auction House.   And once the RMAH hits, all of the good items people find will go there instead. So instead of gambling with your game gold, you'll be gambling with your paycheck.  Not something most of us are willing to do, but if you are rich I could see it's appeal. Who needs to grind to get good at pvp or Inferno when you can drop a Benjamin and be good to go?

I know I'm not going to change your mind about liking the game, I wouldn't hope to in fact. I'm just showing you why some people "me included" might not like the game.

Originally posted by simmihi
    Originally posted by Khaeros

Haha I could care less.  Gamers are dramatic school girls these days.  I don't even know how to talk to someone who hates a game so much, but then spends tons of time and effort slamming it on forums.  I can't imagine ever being like that, and not just finding a game I like and playing it. 

Yes, throwing obvious flamebait makes you a way way better person.

You beat the game on the cheat class, ok, we know it, you've posted it on at least 3 different threads. Now do the same on your monk.

I posted something on one thread, and then made this new thread total in the last 3 weeks or so probably.  I play with 2 monks that both beat Inferno before me with equal gear.  I am not a glass cannon DH and I play the class right.  It is not a cheat class.  It can simply be cheaper if you want to rush. 

Like I said I don't even know how to talk to someone like you.

How about I just say that you win, you beat me, and you owned my thread.  Game over. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    @jimmydean, I got an autheticator two weeks ago. Before that Ive played EVERY SINGLE Blizzard game and I was never hacked. This is getting blown out of proportions. It is 99% of the time the users fault.

I am ready to flame back any haters!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by RealPvPisFPS

[mod edit]

Yes.  I started posting here back in 2003 and played almost every mainstream MMO at launch since then to plant the bait.  I was pretty critical in all of the areas of improvement as well just to make myself look like I am legit.  The 8.5/10 was clearly too high of a score for a game I am this addicted to and have put over 175 hours in already. 

BWAhaha.  I am Jay Wilson.  Busted.

I play in public games all the time.

But I agree the OP finished the class with the most ridiculously OP class.

Sorry for the double post. No edit option on the mobile site.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth
    @jimmydean, I got an autheticator two weeks ago. Before that Ive played EVERY SINGLE Blizzard game and I was never hacked. This is getting blown out of proportions. It is 99% of the time the users fault.

I am ready to flame back any haters!

The difference between other Blizzard games and Diablo 3 is that they were completely different games. Whether Diablo 3 has actual data leaks or session spoofing, only Blizzard and the Hackers that used those know. The fact remains that Hackers will continue to do everything they can to get your "stuff" now that blizzard has made their way of making income legal. They profited and flourished when half of their accounts / profits got banned. Imagine what it will be like when they have no fear of any of that. (hint.. thats now with D3)

It's not worth the time and effort you have to put into playing the AH though. The "fun' that was found in diablo 2 was finding items to better yourself. Diablo 3 is all about finding / selling 1000 pairs of Int pants so that you can "maybe" buy an upgrade from the Auction House.   And once the RMAH hits, all of the good items people find will go there instead. So instead of gambling with your game gold, you'll be gambling with your paycheck.  Not something most of us are willing to do, but if you are rich I could see it's appeal. Who needs to grind to get good at pvp or Inferno when you can drop a Benjamin and be good to go?

I know I'm not going to change your mind about liking the game, I wouldn't hope to in fact. I'm just showing you why some people "me included" might not like the game.

Yeah I can see where you are coming from.  I always had fun playing auction houses/markets in MMO's.  I made bank the first 3-4 months of EVE launching.  For many I could see the AH negatively impacting their D2 style of play.  For me I now just get excited about any epicly rolled drop because I know I can flip it and it has value.  I do also like person to person trading, but I like it in large servers not when there are 4 people in a game with no indication it is a game made for trading.  If they could support 'trade' games better I would love it.

Like if they had a game mode for trading that allowed 50 people in a market like area, and it was for in person trading I would be doing it all the time.

I will never put money from outside the game into it, and I will likely never cash out anything in the RMAH.  Whether RMAH or gold you can still farm for good drops, sell them wherever you can make the most out of them and flip the earnings for something for your class.  There may be people who will just throw in 100's of dollars and get to where I am after 300 hours of play in 50 hours, but I honestly don't care at all.  They didn't beat me at anything and I didn't beat them.  I will likely never even run into a person like this and it really doesn't affect me.  I just want a market dictated by the players and not gold farmers/sellers and the RMAH I think could give us this.

You bring up good points.  You never know eventually I will move on and I don't know when that is.  With MMO's I usually wake up one day and realize it isn't fun anymore or the addiction is gone and just move on.  I will always say this is a great game though, or was when I stop playing. 

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Lol...no it isn't. The game is not complex at all. Mindless fun to be sure as all H&S are but complex?  Hahahaha

Only skills this game takes is patience and tenacity. Well...those that aren't supporting the gold spammers anyways.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• styles74styles74 Member Posts: 222

Prof really enjoyed the read... I have to concur completely.  I have had a little less luck with logging in, but really not much worse. 

Thanks for the post Prof!! (ahem Jay)

(also an AH mobile app would totally rock... Great frickin idea)

- John Wooden

@Wickedjelly, yep the game is very simple but compared to most MMOs it's like rocket science. How sad is that?

@Wickedjelly, yep the game is very simple but compared to most MMOs it's like rocket science. How sad is that?

Can't argue that one. Unfortunately...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• styles74styles74 Member Posts: 222

I must say that Diablo's simplicity is sort of deceptive and reminds me of an onion.  If you look carefully there are many layers.  The concept is obviously to satisfy casuals and hardcore players simultaneously.  And while the success might be debatable, I personally feel that it's the closest anyone has ever come. 

Mark my words... we'll see many MMO's come out in the future sans skill trees.

- John Wooden

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

No sorry, it is not. It's not even a shadow of what it could/should have been. T2, PoE and Grim Dawn are all better games than this trash.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

I have to agree with Prof on this one... I never have had any issues either, i mean sometimes the game was down when i wanted to play, but it was for maintenence or patching. Otherwise never a problem or queue to log in etc.. I have 2 40+ characters. Rerolled to WD from barb when i hear they suck in  inferno. I don't play 24/7 but i did the first week. No issues for me. I on the other hand did read forums, i never got all the hate. It was always good for me

Originally posted by Zekiah

No sorry, it is not. It's not even a shadow of what it could/should have been. T2, PoE and Grim Dawn are all better games than this trash.

See I play all these games.  Love this style.  I played a ton of PoE.  It is ok.  I have HUGE hopes for Grim Dawn.  T2 looks ok, but for some reason T1 and the prospect of T2 just are ok to me.  Diablo 3 and Grim Dawn will be my two big boys.  I think Diablo 3 has insane potential though.  I really hope they go in the right direction with the Xpacs.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Glad you enjoy the game.  Can't say I agree.  Diablo 3 has been the only PC game I believe of my entire adult life where I have gone out of my way to obtain a refund for it.  It wasn't because I needed the money back either.  Played the game for two weeks, had so many difficulties with it, returned it.  They didn't even ask why when I called them.  Just said "Ok, it will removed from your account soon and the money will be deposited into your bank account in 7-10 days.  Thanks".  I don't know what that says, considering I have purchased hundereds of games throughout the years.  I do know that I will not be purchasing Actiblizz products anymore however ;)  Have fun OP!

I really enjoy what I have played of POE, but I don't get how you can say that game is good and this one is trash. I do like that attributes such as resists, attack speed, etc. are up to player selection rather than having to rely on a goddamn random loot table. That is one thing I'll give PoE over D3.

Still, they're both good games far as I'm concerned and fairly similar really outside skill selections.

Originally posted by will75

I have to agree with Prof on this one... I never have had any issues either, i mean sometimes the game was down when i wanted to play, but it was for maintenence or patching. Otherwise never a problem or queue to log in etc.. I have 2 40+ characters. Rerolled to WD from barb when i hear they suck in  inferno. I don't play 24/7 but i did the first week. No issues for me. I on the other hand did read forums, i never got all the hate. It was always good for me

Barbs are freaking animals in Inferno... once you can gear them.  I was lucky to be attracted to DH from the start and lucky that I can now farm for the best stuff in the game to gear my chars.  A Monk or Barb as a first char is a tough road, but my friend who is a really well geared Barb is a beast.  I think I will make a Barb as my 3rd char once my Monk is geared enough to beat Inferno. I also have a 30 WD.  Honestly I think I will get all classes to 60 eventually. 

Originally posted by Worstluck

Glad you enjoy the game.  Can't say I agree.  Diablo 3 has been the only PC game I believe of my entire adult life where I have gone out of my way to obtain a refund for it.  It wasn't because I needed the money back either.  Played the game for two weeks, had so many difficulties with it, returned it.  They didn't even ask why when I called them.  Just said "Ok, it will removed from your account soon and the money will be deposited into your bank account in 7-10 days.  Thanks".  I don't know what that says, considering I have purchased hundereds of games throughout the years.  I do know that I will not be purchasing Actiblizz products anymore however ;)  Have fun OP!

I think it just says the game isn't for you.  I expect with so many sales there would be a ton of players not happy with it.  Hell I wasn't expecting to like it this much.  I thought it would be a casual between MMO type game for me and BOOM I am like a crack addict.  Thanks for being cool.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I really enjoy what I have played of POE, but I don't get how you can say that game is good and this one is trash. I do like that attributes such as resists, attack speed, etc. are up to player selection rather than having to rely on a goddamn random loot table. That is one thing I'll give PoE over D3.

Still, they're both good games far as I'm concerned.

Well, how long have you played D3? What is your highest level character?

I played the sucker role and bought the silly game anyway regardless of the warning signs I saw in beta. The replay value in D3 is garbage and the more you play the more you figure this out. This has half the replay value of D2, it's horrible.

Grind gold for the AH and the overpriced gear? Corpse-hop through Inferno because of ridiculous champs that could kick Diablo's a**?

It's just not a good game, they dumbed it down so far that it's just a shell of what it should/could have been. The more I try to like this game, the more I dislike it. And it pisses me off. I put thousands of hours on D2, it was that addictive.

D3? Garbage.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Average at best. We waited 11 years for average. This game needs vast improvements for it to be considered great. Doubt we will ever see great from Diablo again. Blizzard North had the winning forumul aand Blizzard Irvine changed it because they wanted to dumb it down for the masses. Thatnk god for Starcraft 2, atleast they can't screw up that.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/