Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you play ES for the gameplay, or the lore?

I think that is what this games success depends on. It is selling itself on the name and the lore, not the gameplay.

I personally played all of them, but for the gameplay. The lore was just something necessary to make sense of my characters story, nothing else.

The biggest complaint I've read on these fourms and bethesdas forums is that they scrapped the gameplay, regardless of the presence of some questionable ..accommodations they made in lore  to make sense of PvP.

So am I just part of the vocal anti-ESO minority, or do you value the lore more than you did the gameplay in ES games?

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I chose gameplay, got Skyrim and had some fun for almost 100 hours then it just got stale and boring. So I got it for gameplay and was disappointed from it.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

Gameplay.

Wish MMORPG.com would make a poll like this.  It would be intersting to see what the community as a whole thinks.  Unfortunately, I don't see this poll going very far in the ESO forums.

Edit: Actually, if you reworded your OP and stuck the poll in the pub it would be a valid topic there.  Just keep it to skyrim and the previous ES games, and not about ESO.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Always the game play never the lore

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Gameplay. I like the lore though, but I like lore scattered and explored THROUGH gameplay. The lore on its own is not enough to make a game interesting, if it was it wouldn't need to be a game, a book would be sufficient. In an interactive medium, the player interaction has to be fun.

Half the time when I'm playing a game, I skip the cinematics and dialogue and only stick around for the important, story-changing things (usually the intro, middle plot twist, and the ending). The rest I read about at my liesure on the wiki after I'm done.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Gameplay. Lore helps with some immersion, but the gameplay sells it the most. :D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Gameplay. I don't mind the lore but I came late to the party (only started seriously playing in Oblivion).

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I think that both are inseperable.

Its like asking me if i want to keep my teeth or my gums...