Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: F2P to Level 15 Next Month

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During EA's press conference at the pre-opening festivities for E3, BioWare announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be ripping a page out of many other MMOs' playbooks: Starting in July, SWTOR will be F2P through level 15.

The team also noted that new warzones, high level content, new companions, a new planet to explore and much more will be coming throughout the balance of 2012.

Check out the press conference 'sizzle' trailer on the official Star Wars: The Old Republic page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

During EA's press conference at the pre-opening festivities for E3, BioWare announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be ripping a page out of many other failing MMOs' playbooks: Starting in July, SWTOR will be F2P through level 15.

The team also noted that new warzones, high level content, new companions, and more will be coming throughout the balance of 2012.

/fixed

Too little too late I'm afraid.  

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

Sadly, this will not be enough to bring myself or my guild members back to the game. I wish Bioware the best with SWTOR.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    *rolls eyes* that is not F2P! man when will trion,blizztard,EA get that it is a trial not F2P.
  • Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175

During EA's press conference at the pre-opening festivities for E3, BioWare announced that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be ripping a page out of many other MMOs' playbooks: Starting in July, SWTOR will be F2P through level 15.

The team also noted that new warzones, high level content, new companions, and more will be coming throughout the balance of 2012.

Which is still a far stretch from going completely F2P!

Just saying that before all the SWTOR haters come and say "told ya so, SWTOR is dying and will be going F2P soon!"

Level 15 can be easily reached on a free weekend, so it's really just to tempt the more casual gamers... though I wonder how much more casual you need to be to take more than 2 days for lvl15?

Or maybe they want to breed a low lvl PvP crowd? hm...

Or it's all a numbers game to them... *shrug*

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

It doesnt state that SWTOR will be F2P. It states that SWTOR will be F2P through level 15.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I find it odd they left out things like a whole new planet, new playable race and the new dungeon difficulty mode, instead only mentioning the more of the same in this announcment.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Useless - I did all the content up to level 15 in a previous weekend already.

Oh well I'll use this to play a bit of Huttball.

Still EA should finally realize that they need a real f2p version, not a f2p weekend > followed by a f2p weekend  > followed by a f2p weekend (........) >>>  followed by a f2p trial.

Harbinger of Fools
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

This article didn't even mention ANYTHING they talked about other than the trial thing. There's new wz's, fp's, operations, playble species, new space content, new planet, new legacy content, and the next phase of story ...and other things they haven't talked about yet.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by Valentina

This article didn't even mention ANYTHING they talked about other than the trial thing. There's new wz's, fp's, operations, playble species, new space content, new legacy content and other things they haven't talked about yet.

You missed this?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

[mod edit]

Oh look a potatoe is an apple of the earth!

It is not F2P it is an unlimited trial to level 15. F2P my ass, I hate swtor spin.

F2P involes a change of method and structure to give players content at paid for piece meal components, sometimes with an option of an all in sub fee that provides currency bonuses.  Until they have that in place they have no right to use the F2P title, queue unlimited trial to 15 thats what it is.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It can't hurt them at this point.

Originally posted by Valentina

This article didn't even mention ANYTHING they talked about other than the trial thing. There's new wz's, fp's, operations, playble species, new space content, new legacy content and other things they haven't talked about yet.

You missed this?

Missed it? no... Wondered why F2P to 15 was bigger news than things like New species, New planet (Makeb, with new story content), new character advancment and new level cap? yes..

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Wicoa
    [mod edit]

It is not F2P it is an unlimited trial to level 15. F2P my ass, I hate swtor spin.

You know that a potato is indeed an apple of the earth in some languages?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Wicoa

[mod edit]

HAHAHAHA.......HAHAAHAHAHAHA!   Do....what!?   image

I have no idea what you just said, but somehow I think its the most epic thing Ive ever read on these forums.....

In any case I guess they said, " Lets just stop giving out free weekends and make it permanent.  Might as well. "   They were doing it all the time anyways.   Oh and the other junk they're adding should be super swell.  I guess. 

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149

And a new level cap. That seems rather ill advised.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I can't say I'm surprised by this at this point, and it's probably a good move on their part. But, man, what a sad era of the genre these times have become.

I wonder how bad things are going to have to get until SWTOR goes full blown F2P. If and when it does, I won't be surprised then either.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by dead2soon

And a new level cap. That seems rather ill advised.

Yeah.  That one has me stumped.  I just don't "get" that at all, not with the little information we have.  New planets, operations and such I get.  New level cap though?  O.K....How does that affect class stories? Legacy system?  The already overloaded action bars with even more abilities, it's becoming quite a mess to figure out where to put half my skills on certain classes if not all of them.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I guess they want to lure players in whitt he fairly smoot and  fun first 15 levels, (it only gets boring after act 1 for most players)  so they can basicly get a few more subcribers.

it probaly will work, its a proven concept however they are forgetting a very very importand fact, those new players will nearly the same experience as all those players that left. thus giving the game and the brand EA and Bioware a even lesser reputation, And Reputation amoung players is what can make or break a gaming company , SOE learned that the hard way, EA probaly is starting to see its effects slowly now.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Cecropia

I can't say I'm surprised by this at this point, and it's probably a good move on their part. But, man, what a sad era of the genre these times have become.

I wonder how bad things are going to have to get until SWTOR goes full blown F2P. If and when it does, I won't be surprised then either.

I dont know if full F2P will happen anytime soon.  Id probably mess around with the game a little if it did.  Maybe. 

At the same time if it did Id feel really sorry for its fans.  I dont want to think what EA would push regarding microtransactions or an unholy item shop.  They would have to make money some way.  I think for a lot of fans that still like the game, that might really ruin it for them. 

Interesting that Cathar was chosen

Charr with a lightsaber?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

The signs of a dying MMO are all there.....

Huge decline in population

Free Trials in the first year

Free Game Time in the first year

Creative reporting of subsciber numbers

Staff Layoffs

F2P up to x level

Next we just need massive server mergers and we will have the full playbook for dying MMOs

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• NeikenNeiken Member Posts: 254

Happened quicker than I thought it would, I think Rift held out a little longer till resorting to this tactic. I may actually try it now though.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Well by jove i did call this i wonder if this F2P is a stepping stone to full F2P,I will predict late 2012 for full F2P if that's the case.

p>
  • NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I would rather call it endless trial, but I know some dont like that term either.

It seems that all the weekend-pass have been a preparation for that.