Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

D3 Account Hacked

XReignsXReigns NA, CAPosts: 23Member

Just wanted to post and gripe about my D3 account getting hacked this past night, logged in this morning to no characters, items or gold.  Found some odd user name on resent players list asdas#1287 I believe was used to take my items.  Just givin everyone a heads up your account is not safe, reguardless of what blizzard says.  Already sent a ticket for account rollback, changed passwords and all that jazz.  Anyways, just had to rant!

Comments

• OSF8759OSF8759 Riverside, CAPosts: 284Member

Have you played in any public games?

• Z3R01Z3R01 NYC, NYPosts: 2,426Member

Which authenticator did you have?

Playing:

Waiting on:

• XReignsXReigns NA, CAPosts: 23Member

I havent played in any public games

• NovendarNovendar Montreal, QCPosts: 41Member

If that happened, I am guessing he did not have an authenticator. =/

Novendar, Officer of Risen
    Apply today to raid on Corecraft with us!

• zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,211Member Uncommon

Public games is a red herring. Get an authenticator. Either the mobile phone one or the physical one. Not dial in or SMS.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

havent been in any public games, and authenticator or not blizzards baseline security is trash.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member

Well, could your PC have a keylogger? Just asking.

So far I have had no problems with public games but I am not that high in lvl either.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

Originally posted by XReigns

havent been in any public games, and authenticator or not blizzards baseline security is trash.

It's the same as everyone elses. So all baseline security is trash, gotcha. I predict your account will be compromised again.

• styles74styles74 Bloomfield Hills, MIPosts: 222Member

That's the long version of  "no, I don't have the authenticator"

- John Wooden

Its not the same as everyone elses, thats like saying all ice cream is the same.  Or all homes have the same front door key.  I took every step blizzard said to prevent account loss and it still happened.  It could happen to you too buddy blizzard security is insufficent.

• KanesterKanester WalesPosts: 374Member Uncommon

My account was also hacked. Why are puplic games a big 'No No'?

Its not the same as everyone elses, thats like saying all ice cream is the same.  Or all homes have the same front door key.  I took every step blizzard said to prevent account loss and it still happened.  It could happen to you too buddy blizzard security is insufficent.

It could. My athenticator is on order but hasn't arrived. As for being the same, yup username, password. Single factor authentication. Same as everyone elses.

Originally posted by Kanester

My account was also hacked. Why are puplic games a big 'No No'?

They aren't. It's a stupid theory started by people who don't know any better. You also should get an authenticator.

• styles74styles74 Bloomfield Hills, MIPosts: 222Member

if you enjoy Dialo 3, you need to get the authenticator..

Go to any gamestop and spend the $ 3.00 or if you have a mobile phone just dload it for free.

It takes about 2 minutes, and you won't have to worry about this any longer.

- John Wooden

• MagnusAlanMagnusAlan Daytona Beach, FLPosts: 9Member

They're security has gone down hill since they made everyone use their Email address as their login.  You either have to make a new Gmail or Yahoo account just for Blizzard (and a different one for each stupid company that copied them, and which you're liable to forget the password to), or make the mistake of using one of your main Email addresses.  So pretty much all you need is a list of gamers' emails, which could be stolen from any number of community sites, and you're likely to have a  significant number of Blizzard User Names (since nearly all gamers have at least tried their games).  It still boggles my mind to consider who at Activision/Blizzard thought that using a common piece of personal information as a login was more secure than a completely unique User name.

• Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,949Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by styles74

Go to any gamestop and spend the $ 3.00 or if you have a mobile phone just dload it for free.

What? Does it just cost 3 bucks?

Why in Mephistos name did they not slap 2 or 3 bucks extra on the box price and added it for everyone instead? That would have made things a lot more difficult for the hackers and they must have known that a game with RMTAH would be the top priority of every hacker in the world...

But not even with that you are 100% safe, but it is better to jump with a parachute than try to rolll around as you hit the ground even if neither has 100% survival chanse.

Originally posted by MagnusAlan

They're security has gone down hill since they made everyone use their Email address as their login.  You either have to make a new Gmail or Yahoo account just for Blizzard (and a different one for each stupid company that copied them, and which you're liable to forget the password to), or make the mistake of using one of your main Email addresses.  So pretty much all you need is a list of gamers' emails, which could be stolen from any number of community sites, and you're likely to have a  significant number of Blizzard Logins (since nearly all gamers have at least tried their games).

And if you have an authenticator none of that, which is mostly wrong, matters.

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,968Member Uncommon

I've just ordered my Auth.. never been hacked in my life nor do I think any of the hacking is Blizzards fault (It's more than likely keyloggers or people using the same or similar passwords on dodgy forums.. yes, i'm talking to you ownedcore lot).

Nevertheless, got my Auth on the way just in case. I might have slipped up somewhere myself.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member
    Originally posted by Loke666

Why in Mephistos name did they not slap 2 or 3 bucks extra on the box price and added it for everyone instead? That would have made things a lot more difficult for the hackers and they must have known that a game with RMTAH would be the top priority of every hacker in the world...

But not even with that you are 100% safe, but it is better to jump with a parachute than try to rolll around as you hit the ground even if neither has 100% survival chanse.

Ya, my TOR CE came with one and I was kinda hoping my D3 CE would as well. I had a Blizzcon one years ago that I sold on ebay for like 10$. Should have kept it, I guess. Not been hacked, but ya never know.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by Loke666

The smart phone one is free. The physical one costs $6.50. They arent in the boxes because :

1. It isn't legal to ship them to some countries.

2. Many people already have them and wouldn't like being charged extra for one they don't need.

3. Vasco can't produce that many at one time.

4. Digital downloads don't come with boxes but would have to cost the same, without the authenticator, or retail outlets would scream bloody murder.

5. No idea why they didn't put them in collectors editions. That's a really good idea. Bet they wished they had.

Wrong button dagnabbit!

• makiimakii noPosts: 280Member

you probably used the same id and password in a fansite/forum. Those are first source for database hacks. 

• PsychowPsychow SF Giants Territory, CAPosts: 1,784Member

People who are too cheap ($7) or too lazy (Free App) to get an authenticator should forfeit their right to complain about Blizzards poor security.  Instead, look in the mirror to see the real security leak...

I do, however, think Blizzards decision to change user defined user names to a public email was a poor choice. Not everyone had the forsight to realize the ramifications of the switch and take precautions that their battle.net email was an super-double-secret email that nobody but the player knew about. Instead, they switched, so that now....the log-in username was publicly displayed on Facebook....

No the problem is blizzards security is such garbage they FORCE you to buy another trinket to authenticate, otherwise not having it puts you at a risk,  So why are they even making it an option? it should have shipped with the game!

I dont want to see anymore comments about "you should have bought an auth" or "user names / passwords, this and that", this isent the problem folks, the problem is blizzard, not the end user like my self and many many others that have lost their accounts from hacks. (stop backing up blizzard)

no key loggers, no virus on my computer, and im sure as heck not going to fork over more money for something that should be built into an online game with a real money market... Security!

So how is it my fault when blizzard did not provide a solid level security in the first place?

Like it was my own fault my account was hacked, thats total BS

When that money market hits live on the 12th they are gonna have some serious issues with users and their bank accounts if accounts can be accessed so easily by hackers.

GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER BLIZZARD

No the problem is blizzards security is such garbage they FORCE you to buy another trinket to authenticate, otherwise not having it puts you at a risk,  So why are they even making it an option? it should have shipped with the game!

I dont want to see anymore comments about "you should have bought an auth" or "user names / passwords, this and that", this isent the problem folks, the problem is blizzard, not the end user like my self and many many others that have lost their accounts from hacks. (stop backing up blizzard)

no key loggers, no virus on my computer, and im sure as heck not going to fork over more money for something that should be built into an online game with a real money market... Security!

So how is it my fault when blizzard did not provide a solid level security in the first place?

Like it was my own fault my account was hacked, thats total BS

When that money market hits live on the 12th they are gonna have some serious issues with users and their bank accounts if accounts can be accessed so easily by hackers.

GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER BLIZZARD

Already covered all this. It's the same security everyone else uses. Blizzard isn't forcing anything. They're giving you an option, free if you have a smart phone for a nominal fee if not, for an extra layer of security. Your account was comprimised not their servers. As for fault it's the fault of goldsellers and the idiots who buy from them. You can't participate in the RMAH without an authenticator. Bet you bottom dollar the thieves all have them.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Norcross, GAPosts: 275Member

Just wanted to post and gripe about my D3 account getting hacked this past night, logged in this morning to no characters, items or gold.  Found some odd user name on resent players list asdas#1287 I believe was used to take my items.  Just givin everyone a heads up your account is not safe, reguardless of what blizzard says.  Already sent a ticket for account rollback, changed passwords and all that jazz.  Anyways, just had to rant!

We're supposed to take your word for it that accounts aren't safe? I'm sorry what world do you live in? I don't have access to the last 3 months of your online shenanigans, the password that was set when it was broken into, the other people with access to your PC.. I could go on and on. 

Have some respect for the small group of us that have the ability and desire to weight the evidence before making a rash judgement or even worse just jumping on the band wagon of someone else who did. 

I'm not saying it wasn't with 100% certainty, I'm just taking the position that until some evidence comes along that says otherwise I'm not going to bite.