Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

D3 Account Hacked

XReignsXReigns Member Posts: 23

Just wanted to post and gripe about my D3 account getting hacked this past night, logged in this morning to no characters, items or gold.  Found some odd user name on resent players list asdas#1287 I believe was used to take my items.  Just givin everyone a heads up your account is not safe, reguardless of what blizzard says.  Already sent a ticket for account rollback, changed passwords and all that jazz.  Anyways, just had to rant!

Comments

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Have you played in any public games?

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Which authenticator did you have?

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• XReignsXReigns Member Posts: 23

I havent played in any public games

• NovendarNovendar Member UncommonPosts: 41

If that happened, I am guessing he did not have an authenticator. =/

Novendar, Officer of Risen
    Apply today to raid on Corecraft with us!

havent been in any public games, and authenticator or not blizzards baseline security is trash.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Well, could your PC have a keylogger? Just asking.

So far I have had no problems with public games but I am not that high in lvl either.

• styles74styles74 Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by XReigns

havent been in any public games, and authenticator or not blizzards baseline security is trash.

That's the long version of  "no, I don't have the authenticator"

- John Wooden

Its not the same as everyone elses, thats like saying all ice cream is the same.  Or all homes have the same front door key.  I took every step blizzard said to prevent account loss and it still happened.  It could happen to you too buddy blizzard security is insufficent.

• KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375

My account was also hacked. Why are puplic games a big 'No No'?

• styles74styles74 Member Posts: 222

Its not the same as everyone elses, thats like saying all ice cream is the same.  Or all homes have the same front door key.  I took every step blizzard said to prevent account loss and it still happened.  It could happen to you too buddy blizzard security is insufficent.

if you enjoy Dialo 3, you need to get the authenticator..

Go to any gamestop and spend the $ 3.00 or if you have a mobile phone just dload it for free.

It takes about 2 minutes, and you won't have to worry about this any longer.

- John Wooden

• MagnusAlanMagnusAlan Member UncommonPosts: 13

They're security has gone down hill since they made everyone use their Email address as their login.  You either have to make a new Gmail or Yahoo account just for Blizzard (and a different one for each stupid company that copied them, and which you're liable to forget the password to), or make the mistake of using one of your main Email addresses.  So pretty much all you need is a list of gamers' emails, which could be stolen from any number of community sites, and you're likely to have a  significant number of Blizzard User Names (since nearly all gamers have at least tried their games).  It still boggles my mind to consider who at Activision/Blizzard thought that using a common piece of personal information as a login was more secure than a completely unique User name.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by styles74

Go to any gamestop and spend the $ 3.00 or if you have a mobile phone just dload it for free.

What? Does it just cost 3 bucks?

Why in Mephistos name did they not slap 2 or 3 bucks extra on the box price and added it for everyone instead? That would have made things a lot more difficult for the hackers and they must have known that a game with RMTAH would be the top priority of every hacker in the world...

But not even with that you are 100% safe, but it is better to jump with a parachute than try to rolll around as you hit the ground even if neither has 100% survival chanse.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I've just ordered my Auth.. never been hacked in my life nor do I think any of the hacking is Blizzards fault (It's more than likely keyloggers or people using the same or similar passwords on dodgy forums.. yes, i'm talking to you ownedcore lot).

Nevertheless, got my Auth on the way just in case. I might have slipped up somewhere myself.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Loke666

What? Does it just cost 3 bucks?

Why in Mephistos name did they not slap 2 or 3 bucks extra on the box price and added it for everyone instead? That would have made things a lot more difficult for the hackers and they must have known that a game with RMTAH would be the top priority of every hacker in the world...

But not even with that you are 100% safe, but it is better to jump with a parachute than try to rolll around as you hit the ground even if neither has 100% survival chanse.

Ya, my TOR CE came with one and I was kinda hoping my D3 CE would as well. I had a Blizzcon one years ago that I sold on ebay for like 10$. Should have kept it, I guess. Not been hacked, but ya never know.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

you probably used the same id and password in a fansite/forum. Those are first source for database hacks. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

People who are too cheap ($7) or too lazy (Free App) to get an authenticator should forfeit their right to complain about Blizzards poor security.  Instead, look in the mirror to see the real security leak...

I do, however, think Blizzards decision to change user defined user names to a public email was a poor choice. Not everyone had the forsight to realize the ramifications of the switch and take precautions that their battle.net email was an super-double-secret email that nobody but the player knew about. Instead, they switched, so that now....the log-in username was publicly displayed on Facebook....

No the problem is blizzards security is such garbage they FORCE you to buy another trinket to authenticate, otherwise not having it puts you at a risk,  So why are they even making it an option? it should have shipped with the game!

I dont want to see anymore comments about "you should have bought an auth" or "user names / passwords, this and that", this isent the problem folks, the problem is blizzard, not the end user like my self and many many others that have lost their accounts from hacks. (stop backing up blizzard)

no key loggers, no virus on my computer, and im sure as heck not going to fork over more money for something that should be built into an online game with a real money market... Security!

So how is it my fault when blizzard did not provide a solid level security in the first place?

Like it was my own fault my account was hacked, thats total BS

When that money market hits live on the 12th they are gonna have some serious issues with users and their bank accounts if accounts can be accessed so easily by hackers.

GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER BLIZZARD

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Just wanted to post and gripe about my D3 account getting hacked this past night, logged in this morning to no characters, items or gold.  Found some odd user name on resent players list asdas#1287 I believe was used to take my items.  Just givin everyone a heads up your account is not safe, reguardless of what blizzard says.  Already sent a ticket for account rollback, changed passwords and all that jazz.  Anyways, just had to rant!

We're supposed to take your word for it that accounts aren't safe? I'm sorry what world do you live in? I don't have access to the last 3 months of your online shenanigans, the password that was set when it was broken into, the other people with access to your PC.. I could go on and on. 

Have some respect for the small group of us that have the ability and desire to weight the evidence before making a rash judgement or even worse just jumping on the band wagon of someone else who did. 

I'm not saying it wasn't with 100% certainty, I'm just taking the position that until some evidence comes along that says otherwise I'm not going to bite.
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

It's actually €12.

And I never heard of Gamestop.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Love these people that think you need a authenticator and complain it is the users fault when I have yet to need this extra tool for banking, email, or any other game. Seems to be blizzard is just unsecure if all these people are being hacked, which is evident with their out of date PW policy.

Goto the blizzard support site, they got all sorts of things for "My Account Was Hacked" So yeah they are not secure, with a help page set up as extensively just for hacked accounts, in otherwords, you account is not secure and they made a happy little page to help you get it back.  Only issue is your 3 days in a que of other users with the same problem and cant get help right away.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

No the problem is blizzards security is such garbage they FORCE you to buy another trinket to authenticate, otherwise not having it puts you at a risk,  So why are they even making it an option? it should have shipped with the game!

I dont want to see anymore comments about "you should have bought an auth" or "user names / passwords, this and that", this isent the problem folks, the problem is blizzard, not the end user like my self and many many others that have lost their accounts from hacks. (stop backing up blizzard)

no key loggers, no virus on my computer, and im sure as heck not going to fork over more money for something that should be built into an online game with a real money market... Security!

So how is it my fault when blizzard did not provide a solid level security in the first place?

Like it was my own fault my account was hacked, thats total BS

When that money market hits live on the 12th they are gonna have some serious issues with users and their bank accounts if accounts can be accessed so easily by hackers.

GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER BLIZZARD

They provide you the same "baseline security" they offer everyone else. Username and Password.

So why is everyone else not getting hacked?

I had a Blizzard account for years without having a security token. I've had the same "baseline security" you have; username and password. I've never been hacked. Not once. Why do you think that is?

Because there are people, including myself, who employ basic security measures and use common sense when dealing with their account info.

Blizzard can not monitor, nor are they responsible, for how secure your system is, what your browsing habits are, what you download, what sites you visit and how careful you are with your login info.

If you download and/or run questionable software, that's not their problem.

If you get a keylogger on  your system due to one of the above-mentioned activities, that's not their problem.

If you are otherwise lazy or careless with your account info, that's not their problem.

They provide you a means to protect your account. If you can't keep that information under control, that's not their problem.

The security token is really just a way for them to provide people who can't manage their own security an extra layer of security. They're basically selling you a means to protect your account when you are incapable of doing so yourself.

• RealPvPisFPSRealPvPisFPS Member Posts: 42

To original OP,

Get in line, thousands of players are experiencing the same thing yet Blizzard will not take responsibilty when it is a security breach and/or major bug on their systems not your computer.

The best they can do is do a restore on your account then state there is nothing wrong on their side.

I say it's time for Blizzard to hire professionals to fix their broken security/systems instead of throwing empty cans at their system hoping the problem will go away.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I don't have an authenticator. Then again, I don't play any Blizzard games. What (technically) makes this fancy gizmo so special?

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I really dont buy into the idea that people just happen to hack Blizzard, get your account info ( and many others ), stole all their stuff...etc.  You had to have done something to give that info out (even unkowingly) If you dont have a keylogger, virus, malware....you most likely did at some point (it could have been cleaned already....days, weeks, months ago) and they already have that info.  And unless you habitually change that info...your at risk. 

If this isnt the case...I refuse to believe that you have never entered the same info somewhere else, OR have purchased gold or items online outside the game.  Either way...whether you know it or not, your information was stolen and it had to have been your mistake.  If it was Blizzards mistake....they would alert the playerbase to change their personal info and they would let you know you are at risk (which is a good email scam that also gets sent out)

Authenticators are an extra step to take and were never needed in the past....but with all the websites and viruses etc we pass over every day...this is a good way to greatly REDUCE the risk...not 100% prevent it....shit happens.