Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vampires are for staking

sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

I like what CCP does, but i'm not really into vampires in any way other than as creatures that must be destroyed.

I had thought WoD had something to do with white wolf when announced, but now people are talking about masquerades and I frankly don't know anything about either of those. If they're different things, do either of them offer any chance of just playing as humans in any of their previous products?

Comments

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

A masquerade is a type of party where people wear fancy masks.  A game was called Vampire: The Masquerade, which was based on the World of Darkness lore.  Based on known information, politics of vampires will be a heavy part of the gameplay and/or story.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

From launch all players will be vampires (if I got things right). Vampire hunters, werewolfs and mages are supposed to be added later.

So hopefully we can stalk those pesky leeches later. :)

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Thanks for the response, I think I could definately get behind playing a hunter.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by sketocafe

Thanks for the response, I think I could definately get behind playing a hunter.

You and me both brother!

It seems silly not to have at least human vampire hunters at start, than later adding werewolves and stuff.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Originally posted by Loke666
    From launch all players will be vampires (if I got things right). Vampire hunters, werewolfs and mages are supposed to be added later.So hopefully we can stalk those pesky leeches later. :)

Was it not said that most people would start as humans and somehow may become Vampires?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Originally posted by Loke666
    From launch all players will be vampires (if I got things right). Vampire hunters, werewolfs and mages are supposed to be added later.

So hopefully we can stalk those pesky leeches later. :)

Was it not said that most people would start as humans and somehow may become Vampires?

Yes, I believe everyone starts as a mortal human, and can try to remain that way, but they obviously won't be as powerful as a vampire.

From what I remember, it's been said several times, including here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/29/world-of-darkness-players-can-try-to-stay-human-but-guns-are-only-good-as-a-fashion-accessory/

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• rcubanorcubano Member Posts: 68

Many people view each different "creature" in World of Darkness (i.e. vampires, werewolves, etc) the same way they do different classes for other RPGs (such as fighters, clerics, and wizards in D&D), and should therefore have a World of Darkness game-world that includes them all.  This is not the case, and this is why:

White Wolf is the publishing company that created "The World of Darkness" role-playing world.  This world includes all kinds of mythology which tends to fall under darker, horror-based mythology.  This includes vampires, werewolves, warlocks/witches ("Mages"), ghosts, etc.

Each different "creature" had it's own separate game and core rulebook.  So there's a separate, independent, sovereign rulebook for vampires (called Vampire: the Masquerade), one for werewolves (called Werewolf: the Apocolypse), one for mages (called Mage: the Ascension), one for ghosts (called Wraith: the Oblivion), and so on.  White Wolf started by making Vampire: the Masquerade, then over time added new core rulebooks of different creatures.  Ergo, the World of Darkness as a whole includes all of these different "creatures" co-existing at the same time.  You could, if you wanted, buy each separate rulebook for each creature, and have players play each of them. 

However, it's important to point out that they really aren't meant to be played like that.  Ideally, you'd use one rulebook, have all players make characters for that singular creature, then include tiny bits and pieces of the other creatures in your story as the Storyteller sees fit, but not fully incorporate all of them in their entirety (such as one player playing a vampire, the other a werewolf, another a mage, etc.).  The games aren't all balanced for that sort of fully-incorporated game-play.  The overall lore of each game is also very different, so it'd be difficult for a vampire, werewolf, mage and ghost to all share common goals.

I personally think the game would be better served to focus on vampires only for the entire run of the game.  Given the complexity of MMOs, I think even if they do add other playable creatures (such as a werewolf), it's not going to happen for a long time, since it's going to be a *major* endeavour  to make an MMO for vampires alone that is polished and complete.

This is just my humble opinion.  But I have played the table-top games extensively for well over a decade, so I know the lore well.  Incorporating them all will either be disaster, or it will includes major changes to them in order to maintain balance.