Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Ready for the Beta Weekend

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by skeaser
    Originally posted by rawfox

huh ? isnt it one server ?!

multiservers are so swtor ...

Problem is we've jacked the jargon.

Server = physical machine that houses the data that you access

Shard/Realm = What most people call a "server"

Even EVE has multiple servers, I'm sure.

Yes, but GW2 still have multiple servers, what would be the point of setting 3 servers based on rank against eachother every 2 weeks in the mist if only one existed?

The difference is that here you can jump server for free (PvE that is) and that GW2 is less instanced and don´t use phasing.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Can't wait for this weekend!  Hope they've optimised a bit so I can see if it will work on my wife's laptop...I'm losing hope on that one.  :(  But the most important thing is that it works on my desktop at max levels!!!!  Yea for me!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• KalimniKalimni Member UncommonPosts: 74
    gotta fix the jargon issues and mis-conceptions
    For gw2:
    server= the physical machines that the game runs on.
    World= denotes the server cluster(s) you play on, and the "team" you play for in WvW.

The addition of more servers should mean that there is more space for players on a particular map. It could also mean that they (anet) may be adding additional worlds.
    As far a phasing, gw2 does have it. Sort of. If the map you are trying to acess has too many people, you get moved to an overflow server until space opens up.
  • Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106

Reminds me of the scene in the matrix where Neo loads up on weapons before rescuing Morpheus.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Zen_Blade

Reminds me of the scene in the matrix where Neo loads up on weapons before rescuing Morpheus.

I think you just got the joke ;P

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by BadSpock

As an IT professional, I would LOVE to get a peak in that server farm one day...

same...

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AthenRahlAthenRahl Member UncommonPosts: 8

I can see it now...

"Uh-oh, I think the servers are overloading..."

"What?! But we doubled the number of servers!"

"I guess we should have trippled them?"

I don't think a game company can recieve a better compliment.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by tillamook

As an IT professional, I would LOVE to get a peak in that server farm one day...

same...

freaks......+1 hehe :)

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by oubers

same...

As a hobbiest programmer, I would love to look at some of thier programming.

The server farm would be cool too!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Zen_Blade

I think you just got the joke ;P

Haha. Amazing.  From now on, we'll call the GW2 employee Neo.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

lol Anet is trolling us !!! :P

updating going pretty well:

2.2 MB/sec :)

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Wau! Amazing and super super awesome. Only Anet can double servers.. Oh man i am so excited to play on new servers. Now my Char would run even faster and graphic will be smooth as heaven. I have no more words for this super awesome amazing uber human game. My life is over, i will give up everything  because of gw2. I will live there and sleep there. Go to buy now some super uber top configuration only for gw2

Originally posted by palulalula

Wau! Amazing and super super awesome. Only Anet can double servers.. Oh man i am so excited to play on new servers. Now my Char would run even faster and graphic will be smooth as heaven. I have no more words for this super awesome amazing uber human game. My life is over, i will give up everything  because of gw2. I will live there and sleep there. Go to buy now some super uber top configuration only for gw2

guess your a bit excited about this beta huh? just breathe in and out man.....relax......its just a game.

If you keep this up your hart may fail and you wont be able to play :)

Or maybe it was sarcasm but to me that was hard to tell :) hehe

• ZoyitaZoyita Member Posts: 119

Cant wait for this weekend im buying a lot of snacks haha ima make a party at home :D my bf and i wahoo :)

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by oubers

same...

lol
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Working for Anet must be so much fun ;-; they're always in such good spirits. Although the one dev tattooing the GW2 Logo on his ribcage might've been a bit much. But hey, dedication. Anyway love the humor and am soooo psyched for the next weekend with double the server strength. I lagged the first weekend but even that lag wasn't so bad that I couldn't function, hopefully this will eliminate it all together.

Yes, that's the sense I get from them.  I remember watching the manifesto video some time ago (maybe a year ago?) and being most impressed by their attitude which is a mixture of dedication and fun.  They really do seem like gamers making games for other gamers :)

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

Aug 2010!  So almost two years ago.  Why does time fly so when you get older (and not necessarily having fun)?

Anyway, back on topic.  Really glad to hear about the extra servers.  Fingers crossed I actually get into game at 7pm tonight (UK time) rather than having to wait until Sat like last time.

Here's a link to the blog about the beta, including changes they've made:

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-big-beta-weekend-preview

Have fun, everyone.  Excited of Lancaster o/

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

It's 8pm UK time. We're not at GMT at this time of the year :)

Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to this as well. Pre-purchased last week so I haven't actually seen any of the game yet, apart from videos and such things.