Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay away from this game.

Not only is this game pay2win to the max. its not free2play, you have to buy everything from the store.

PVP is horrible, promised a new map 3times but did not recieve anything, unbalanced, 5 years and no changes made.

Servers are dead - after playing for 4 years i have seen what servers used to be like, and atm it is no where close to what it was in the SoA days. I checked everyone of them, all but the 3 big servers have life

You cant bring up any other games on chat, or you will get banned. If you bring gw2 is better than lotro and comparing the bad on lotro up on the forums they will find the smallest, most pathetic thing to block your post and prob ban you.

Slow combat, very old system. Enough said.

Extremely boring (IMO). Not only is the combat very slow, everything (mobs,quests) are repetitve.

GRIND- this game is 75lvls of pure grinding(questing x amount of mobs etc.. is a grind aswell). 

Virtue/traits-  This one focuses on new people, you have to store buy for slots to equip. You have to grind days to achieve it and the list goes on....Please dont even think of playing it you will just be spending endless amount of cash for a terrible mmo.

Expansions - Yes this game was consistant to make an expansion every year, but imagine all the $$ you have to spend for the expansions for terrible/grinding endgame. BTW, the new Riders of rohan expansion is $70 LOL and no mention of new raids/instances... at least yet. PvP is a big endgame, but yet its unbalanced and has not been touched for 5 years.

PRO

Quest/Story - This game (IMO) does probably have the best story to it, but lets face it this is LOTR. LOTR has an amazing story to it so its not hard to use it in a MMO. The story,scenary is amazing in this game and not to mention its graphics. 

p.s - this is an example of how you cant use other games on forums, this guy got banned for stating his opinon.

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?461700-Attention-devs

Comments

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Break the rules, get banned, come onto mmorpg to moan.

I see a pattern...

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Its certainly not my type of game at its seems to just be 75 levels of solo quest grinding, but I guess some people really like that.

So, you're one of those guys who always have to talk about another game instead of enjoying the one you're playing or logging off. I can't stand those types. I'm glad they ban people that do it. Seems like a good policy.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Slow combat, definitely yes.

Awful PVP, yes.

Grind, maybe, but stories are great.

Dead, no, far from it (haven't played in a while, but my wife keeps logging in from time to time).

Lvl85, please Alt-Tab from your WoW account  image

This game is not for everyone, but which game is? Overall I dont think LotRO is P2W... but thats just me.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Still trying to see where and why that guy got "banned"... The server I play on seems to have a really healthy playerbase...

Got me...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135

This has been the only MMO I have ever really liked to play. Got to 50 in SWTOR and quit. I was really disappointed in that one but back to the point. You do have to sub to this game if you want to be able to unlock all of your trait slots etc without having to have the turbine points. I felt the sub price was justified as I used to pay for the game before anyway. The bad part is I lost a level 55 champion with the server merger and had to start all over again. That was the only thing I wasnt pleased with.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

You don't have to actually buy anything from the store, the option exists to earn TP through the deed system if you don't mind putting the work into it. It's a lot more than most other F2P games offer. Also the game is far from dead, I still pop in from time to time and the server I am on is always bustling with people. 

If you ever plan on playing LOTRO for the long haul, the best option you can do is sub for a month, make your characters while you are subbed, then unsub. This makes all your characters count as premium chars and you never have to unlock anything on them again. 

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

LOL 

1. that person that got banned was a friend of mine. He made suggestion about the game and was comparing the pvp with gw2 and lotro, thats all, nowhere did he say this game will die because of gw2.  Dont cry plz

2. the servers are dead. Others than brandy, Elend, landy. I tested every single server. Lots of complaints.

3. Those who deny that this is not a pay2win game, just LOL. scrolls/LI/LI items/classes/expansion x10/quests/traits/virtue/etc... ( i can make a list of 10 pages). This is by far the biggeste pay2win game to date.

4. I dont play WoW, never had been. Played lotro for 4 years.

@the guy who said you cant seem to find why he got banned, +1 to you. He made an appeal and got it back, so to all of you guys who said haha he deserved it -----> FAIL. The evidence was to clear that he did nothing wrong, all his infractions/ban was lifted. This shows you how the mods/sapience just shut people up when they speak of gw2.

• RhavensRhavens Member Posts: 59

P2Win??? It's been said before but I'll say it again: There's nothing you can't buy with your turbine points which can be aquired by doing some actions in game. So unles you're a compulsive buyer, you can get pretty much everything you NEED for free. If you feel like an obligation to buy everything the game has to offer than yes you'll have to spend money.

PvP maybe suck but PvP wasn't supposed to be a major feature in the game, it's been add after launch and more like a minigame.  It's been said before but I'll say it again, LOTRO is and always been PvE oriented, if you prefer PvP then that game isn't and never been for you.

Servers dead?? maybe some of them like in every other games out there but there was plenty of peoples to talk with on Landroval last time I played and that wasn't so long ago.

Slow combat?? You don't like it, good (or bad) for you but maybe some peoples like it just the way it is. 

Extremely boring?? You don't like it, good (or bad) for you but maybe some peoples find it fun and interesting. 

It's possible you don't like the game anymore and that's fine, but you should rethink the way you present your opinions, opinions are not facts you know.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

Honestly that guy that posted on the lotr forums deserved to be banned if nothing else for making everyone's effective IQ to drop by a few points just by reading at his atrocious post.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

1) the game is not pay 2 win at all.

2) I guess there could be a few people here who are not aware of how this game works. . but not many.  The problem is that your very one sided opinion , while your alone and valid in that sense, does not fit the feeling of most people that have played the game.  I found it fun for a bit.  then it got dull.  I never had to pay any money.

Suggesting that you have to buy "everything" from the store is not accurate at all.  Also buying a few quests packs is worth it.  IIt is one of the better F2P models out there in my opinion, which I realize is not worth more than yours (but I am going to disagree just the same)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Actually this is one of the better looking and most gorgious mmorpgs today.  They nearly went pay to win but pulled back at the last minute.  Free to play does not mean you get access to everything all the time if you want to progress after a certain point yep you have to pay something.

It only means it is Free To Play at the point of access it is not "Free" you can log in and play any time but if you want access to the top stuff pony up my little donkey. Running servers does cost money you know... to think you can play completely for free :/.

I haven't played in a while but I do own all the expansion. Yes chat can be a bit strict in this game so just learn to behave a little though I sympathise a bit (I tend to find it is the guilds themselves that are their own religion and woebetide yee who breaks any kind of code like a poo word on comms! [shudders])

The link you posted  just goes on about GW2 you do realise GW2 will have a cash shop too and there will be a good reason to use it afaik.

I digress either behave or stop playing :P.

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

If the OP has been playing four years, then he should very well know that everything in the store is available in game.  Seeing that the game didn't go F2P until 2010, he was obviously a subscribing player.  Therefore, he should also know that Virtues/Traits slots are tied to the subsciption type (VIP, Premium, Freeb) and if you are not a VIP then you're going to have either earn or buy certain features.  But, given the way the OP made his opening salvo, I'm going to guess that he's never been a subscriber.  I could be wrong, but the OP wreaks of someone jealous of what the VIP's get with their subscription...

The statment "this is a pve game" is not true at all.

Much of its revenue came from pvp. Monster play classes, monster play skills/virtues/traits/maps. It costs on average 595tp for each skill ( from what i recall that alone is $5 lol). TRANSFERS- much of transfers is because of pvp, freeps+creeps, each transfer is $25. Also, many peoplee just subscribe for pvp.

If PVP is in the game, then its turbine obligation to work on it.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    Originally posted by xalvi

The statment "this is a pve game" is false.

Much of its revenue came from pvp. Monster play classes, monster play skills/virtues/traits/maps. It costs on average 595tp for each skill ( from what i recall that alone is $5 lol). TRANSFERS- much of transfers is because of pvp, freeps+creeps, each transfer is $25. Also, many peoplee just subscribe for pvp.

Now you're just full of it, and checking by your history of posts it's very evident that you prefer a PvP focused game which LOTR has never been. Your post above that I quoted is pure fantasy. You have a vivid (and persecutory) imagination.

Originally posted by pierth

Now you're just full of it, and checking by your history of posts it's very evident that you prefer a PvP focused game which LOTR has never been. Your post above that I quoted is pure fantasy. You have a vivid (and persecutory) imagination.

Nice arguement, trying to use past post on this present issue. Yes i do prefer pvp games, and what i said that you quoted was about pvp, please get educated before posting again. Please explain to me how im full of it?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    I played lotro for a while before it went f2p and also went back to it for a while after it went f2p. I didn't find the restrictions of the f2p system too bad. Most things you can unlock by grinding turbine points, and you can pay to unlock zones as you level.

The story and immersion are top notch but I found the combat to be just tooo slooow and really boring, and it was just too much of a grind, that's why I quit the first time round and nothing had changed when I went back

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Played lotro for 4 years.

No reason to say anything else, this alone says it all.

• traceriantracerian Member UncommonPosts: 20

[mod edit]Who the heck plays Lotro just for the pvp? I played the game slowly over the course of a year and absolutely loved it. It is for sure not Pay 2 Win, I never bought anything off the Turbine store. Keeping a game like Lotro running is incredibly expensive and if it wasn't for the item shop the game would be in much worse condition. The chat is strict, but it keeps whiners quiet. The graphics are great for an MMO, and while the combat is slow, it is not BAD. If you want great PVP and unrestricted chat, play Darkly. If Lotro is such a bad game, would you mind explaining to me how it is #4 rated game on MMORPG.COM? And the game is for sure not dead, I always see tons of people where my character hangs around. I always enjoyed the story of Lotro and loved the grinding crafting. It always gave me something to do.[mod edit]

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

lol good thread, keep posting guys.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

p.s - this is an example of how you cant use other games on forums, this guy got banned for stating his opinon.

I was reading that thread and I thought it was funny how people were coming up with logical responses to his arguments, instead just name calling they responded thoughtfully or with a bit of humor.

Those LoTRo players are weird. Forums are for flaming not for logical arguments, sheesh.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    Originally posted by pierth

Nice arguement, trying to use past post on this present issue. Yes i do prefer pvp games, and what i said that you quoted was about pvp, please get educated before posting again. Please explain to me how im full of it?

I'm the one who should get educated? I didn't choose an obviously PvE-centric game to focus on PvP that can't even be described as a second thought. Perhaps you and the imaginary "many peoplee" should do research and pick a PvP game for PvP. No MMORPG will be suitable for all gamers, if you want a solid PvE experience with traditional combat (trinity, tab targetting, etc) then LoTRO is a good freemium choice, but a PvP'er's game it most certainly isn't and that should be evident to anyone with a modicum of intelligence.

If you have to have a F2P PvP-centric game try one of the several MOBAs out there.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by tracerian

Are you an idiot? Who the heck plays Lotro just for the pvp? I played the game slowly over the course of a year and absolutely loved it. It is for sure not Pay 2 Win, I never bought anything off the Turbine store. Keeping a game like Lotro running is incredibly expensive and if it wasn't for the item shop the game would be in much worse condition. The chat is strict, but it keeps whiners quiet. The graphics are great for an MMO, and while the combat is slow, it is not BAD. If you want great PVP and unrestricted chat, play Darkly. If Lotro is such a bad game, would you mind explaining to me how it is #4 rated game on MMORPG.COM? And the game is for sure not dead, I always see tons of people where my character hangs around. I always enjoyed the story of Lotro and loved the grinding crafting. It always gave me something to do. And you must be an idiot, for you can't even type out a well written, capitalized topic. Lotro IS a pvp game, monster play isn't very engaging IMO. But for goodness sakes, please stop bitching here! Nobody gives a hoot whether your game experience was good or not. Good Day.

Hey calm down for goodness sakes.  People get so worked up.....over a game.  Sheesh. 

I cared about his thread and read it.  If he's right its educational for those of us that have never played it.  If he's wrong its educational via people responding to correct him with information.  So either way it serves a purpose.  Really it does.   Almost all threads have something constructive come out of it somewhere there in. 

But try not to get so mad at someone you've never met and know nothing about.....over a video game.  Not dogging you.  Just sayin. 

Originally posted by stragen001
    I played lotro for a while before it went f2p and also went back to it for a while after it went f2p. I didn't find the restrictions of the f2p system too bad. Most things you can unlock by grinding turbine points, and you can pay to unlock zones as you level. The story and immersion are top notch but I found the combat to be just tooo slooow and really boring, and it was just too much of a grind, that's why I quit the first time round and nothing had changed when I went back

Yes. IMO Lotro has the best story to it (mainly because its lotr trilogy obv lol) and im a big fan of tolkien first then game of thrones which is why i played for 4 years, but that does not excuse its slow paced combat, terrible pvp, endless grinding, and its pay2win shop. 

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Not only is this game pay2win to the max. its not free2play, you have to buy everything from the store.

PVP is horrible, no new map for 5 years, unbalancede

Servers are dead

You cant bring up any other games on chat, or you will gete banned

slow combat, very old.

Extremely boring, everything (mobs,quests) are repetitve

GRIND- this game is 75lvls of pure grinding.

Virtue/traits- you have to store buy for more slots. You have to grind days to achieve it

and the list goes on....Please dont even think of playing it you will just be spending endless amount of cash for a terrible mmo.

edit* i was looking at RoR expansion beforee this post, thus making my mistake of level 85

Alot of your post is subjective so I would't presume to tell you that you are wrong in having that opinion but what I have a problem with on your post is the fact that you call a game where everything can in fact be gained without spending a dime pay to win.

Unless something has changed in the few months since I haven't payed the game you get turbine points for lots of in game activities which is what you spend in the turbine store.  In the case of a player like you who found the game boring I would guess it's not in your interest to partake inthese activities but that becomes a personal problem wouldn't you say?

And you seem to say you've played for quite some time so you should be well aware of the benefits gained by continuing to sub and if not don't bitch and moan to us that the things you are interested in aren't free (just a suggestion).

Maybe the fact that you mention the person banned was a friend is why you have a skewed opinion towards turbine for banning your friend but honestly most of us don't know him from adam so don't expect us to have the same sympathy you have. 

My suggestion in regards to this post especially it's topic is the game is free if you've never played it don't take his or my word for it try it for yourself and see how YOU feel about the game.

Originally posted by tracerian

Are you an idiot? Who the heck plays Lotro just for the pvp? I played the game slowly over the course of a year and absolutely loved it. It is for sure not Pay 2 Win, I never bought anything off the Turbine store. Keeping a game like Lotro running is incredibly expensive and if it wasn't for the item shop the game would be in much worse condition. The chat is strict, but it keeps whiners quiet. The graphics are great for an MMO, and while the combat is slow, it is not BAD. If you want great PVP and unrestricted chat, play Darkly. If Lotro is such a bad game, would you mind explaining to me how it is #4 rated game on MMORPG.COM? And the game is for sure not dead, I always see tons of people where my character hangs around. I always enjoyed the story of Lotro and loved the grinding crafting. It always gave me something to do. And you must be an idiot, for you can't even type out a well written, capitalized topic. Lotro IS a pvp game, monster play isn't very engaging IMO. But for goodness sakes, please stop bitching here! Nobody gives a hoot whether your game experience was good or not. Good Day.

LMFAO!!!

UMAD BRO?

The rage is strong with this one.

FYI: I played all those years because of the story/raids, not for its pvp (Although it was good until RoI)

This discussion has been closed.