Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kickstarter campaign is now live.

joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/therepopulation/the-repopulation

Thanks to everyone that contributes and if there are any questions feel free to ask them.  We'll try to roll back here and answer questions and will be checking around a bit more often in the first few days.  Thanks everyone.

Joshua Halls
Co Owner-Lead Programmer The Repopulation

Comments

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115

Great! Donated as much money as I could miss. Really hope you guys get the kickstarter project funded, because I think this MMO will be a breath of fresh air.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Definitly going to drop some money on this, looks like a quality game.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

Yep, just pledged so far nearly 1700 dollars in a day,not freaking bad !!

Also are u guys running a feature with this website?

p>
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

Im definately IN. I really like what these guys are doing and Id like to help them succeed.

I definately think they should be able to hit their target. If 1250 people pledged just $20 theyd have it.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

They had me until they said 'no skill cap'. That will just turn the game into a rediculous grind like Darkfall.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

Originally posted by parrotpholk

You cannot be serious can you?  Dark and Light memories are comintg to mind right now.  

Maybe another D&L. Maybe not.

How many have bought SWTOR for $50+ ? AoC/WAR/STO/DCUO/etc ?

Whats the difference between paying $50 for a game before release (with a chance that it might be a POS), and paying $50 after its finished and released (with a chance it might be a POS) ???

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Been following this project for about three years now. The commitment, talent and vision for it seems solid. Definitely IN.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by PyrateLV

You cannot be serious can you?  Dark and Light memories are comintg to mind right now.  

Whats the difference between paying $50 for a game before release (with a chance that it might be a POS), and paying $50 after its finished and released (with a chance it might be a POS) ???

Pre orders you can get your money back one way or another normally ( not always).  This is a donation so if it goes belly up then poof goes your money.  And who is to say these folks are not taking the money and using it for something other than game development.  Just a bit fishy to me.

Didnt say anything about Pre-Ordering. I said after release. I pay $50+ for a Digital DL from their store. Game sucks. My money just went poof. yeah I have the "digital version" of the game I can play any time, but it sucks so I basically lost my $$ on it.

I lost money on Tabula Rasa when it went poof. Same for E&B, MxO, AA. I dont want to say how much I had in SWG (2 accounts and 5+ years of subs)

Yeah A&B could be using the money for hookers and blow. What did Bioware use their $200+ MILLION on?? Not SWTOR thats for sure.

Im willing to risk $50+ on The Repop. They want to use it to get laid? Fine, just make sure you still make a great game!

Dude i was there i'm not as stupid as i was then,i've been following this game for a while now believe me these guys are not NP3,they are trying there best to make the game that every sandbox player desires i don't usually do this sort of thing but there is a real game here it's not vapour ware,and besides that if you visit the forums the devs show real integrity and constant communication with the community which is sadly missing from many Mo's today.

p>

Originally posted by darker70   Originally posted by parrotpholk You cannot be serious can you?  Dark and Light memories are comintg to mind right now.  
      Dude i was there i'm not as stupid as i was then,i've been following this game for a while now believe me these guys are not NP3,they are trying there best to make the game that every sandbox player desires i don't usually do this sort of thing but there is a real game here it's not vapour ware,and besides that if you visit the forums the devs show real integrity and constant communication with the community which is sadly missing from many Mo's today.
    If they did not have the funds to start the project then they should have not started it.  Look at 38 studios and they had major money backing them.  But to each their own.

Good god if u want all the facts get onto the forums,they have self funded the development but as Kick starter worked for so many other projects why the hell not try it for this,and don't compare Curt who was mega rich and basically wanted to splash is money around in the big boys pond of development to a small team of talented devs,if we took that attitude many of the classic games would not have seen the light of day as many where programmed by devs in there bedrooms.

Their main reason is to increase productivity they have all the tools and work closely with the Hero devs,unlike Bioware are now faceing the consequences after gutting the Hero engine and not useing the latest developments give by the Hero devs,JC state's that what is mainly needed are art assets to expand the world so with a few paid artists instead of people useing their free time the game will develop quicker,and if u are still not satisfied then i give up.

p>
  • joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

No sense fighting over it, some people just don't agree with the kickstarter mentality and I can understand that.  To each their own.

Joshua Halls

Originally posted by xerves
    No sense fighting over it, some people just don't agree with the kickstarter mentality and I can understand that.  To each their own.

Lol,i'm not fighting just pointing out some facts besides i did persuade another poster with the same opinions to join the official forums,but like you say each to their own

p>
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Pre orders you can get your money back one way or another normally ( not always).  This is a donation so if it goes belly up then poof goes your money.  And who is to say these folks are not taking the money and using it for something other than game development.  Just a bit fishy to me.

Didnt say anything about Pre-Ordering. I said after release. I pay $50+ for a Digital DL from their store. Game sucks. My money just went poof. yeah I have the "digital version" of the game I can play any time, but it sucks so I basically lost my $$ on it.

I lost money on Tabula Rasa when it went poof. Same for E&B, MxO, AA. I dont want to say how much I had in SWG (2 accounts and 5+ years of subs)

Yeah A&B could be using the money for hookers and blow. What did Bioware use their $200+ MILLION on?? Not SWTOR thats for sure.

Im willing to risk $50+ on The Repop. They want to use it to get laid? Fine, just make sure you still make a great game!

They say a happy developer is a productive developer.  And a company with benifits like that sure would have happy developers.  I worked during the .com boom years and the best we got was free soda, pinball machines, foosball and sofas in a chill room.

Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by PyrateLV Originally posted by parrotpholk Originally posted by PyrateLV Originally posted by parrotpholk You cannot be serious can you?  Dark and Light memories are comintg to mind right now.  
    Maybe another D&L. Maybe not. How many have bought SWTOR for $50+ ? AoC/WAR/STO/DCUO/etc ? Whats the difference between paying $50 for a game before release (with a chance that it might be a POS), and paying $50 after its finished and released (with a chance it might be a POS) ???
    Didnt say anything about Pre-Ordering. I said after release. I pay $50+ for a Digital DL from their store. Game sucks. My money just went poof. yeah I have the "digital version" of the game I can play any time, but it sucks so I basically lost my $$ on it. I lost money on Tabula Rasa when it went poof. Same for E&B, MxO, AA. I dont want to say how much I had in SWG (2 accounts and 5+ years of subs) Yeah A&B could be using the money for hookers and blow. What did Bioware use their $200+ MILLION on?? Not SWTOR thats for sure. Im willing to risk $50+ on The Repop. They want to use it to get laid? Fine, just make sure you still make a great game!
    They say a happy developer is a productive developer.  And a company with benifits like that sure would have happy developers.  I worked during the .com boom years and the best we got was free soda, pinball machines, foosball and sofas in a chill room.

Yeah really ironic that 38 studios and Big Huge Games was voted one of the best places to work in 2011 and in less than a year it went tits up,maybe Kickstarter is the future as a sure fire hit like SWTOR less than a year later is dead in the water despite the budget and hundreds of devs behind it.

p>
  • BlackUhuruBlackUhuru Member Posts: 770
    Repopulation and Pathfinder online are the two sandboxes that will start a revolution!

Fight for freedom and support your indie devs, the only ones with enough balls to make a change!!!

"It would be awesome if you could duel your companion. Then you could solo pvp".--Thanes

Originally posted by BlackUhuru
    Repopulation and Pathfinder online are the two sandboxes that will start a revolution!Fight for freedom and support your indie devs, the only ones with enough balls to make a change!!!

Amen brother !!

p>
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Following this for a while now.  Grats and good-luck on the project.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by EndDream

They had me until they said 'no skill cap'. That will just turn the game into a rediculous grind like Darkfall.

This has been a hot topic on our forum, and when we did a poll we found users to be pretty much split even between those who desire no skill caps and those who don't. We'll certainly monitor how things go in testing and make adjustments as necessary. But since it hasn't been covered here and most people who visit here don't frequent our forums a quick recap of what was stated there.

- Being able to master many skills prevents the need for alts. While some players enjoy alts, others only do it because they want to try something different, or because the game has run out of content for them. With our generation system we will always have content, and we don't want to force players to lose their name and reputation just to switch. That's the primary logic behind the lack of skills caps.We've balanced the game around them not existing though, you can't really compare a past experience in another game, since their mechanics are very different than ours.

- There is a diminishing returns system. After you have mastered a line additional skill points only provide very small passive bonuses and no new abilities.

- Combat skills are weapon based. There is a penalty for switching weapons (it takes time). So while you can master many combat lines, that only gives you more options, it does not allow you to effectively play all of them at once. If you keep switching roles the penalty for weapon switching will render you less effective than someone who specializes in one.

- We have anti-grind measures to help detect when players are artificially grinding on themselves or on NPCs and slowing down the rate at which they gain skills if they do so. We'll be attempting to detect AFK grinders, but the system itself will automatically impose a severe penalty on how fast they gain skills when doing things like cycling a few abilities on their friends or having a mob that is just barely high enough to skill up on smack them repeatedly while they eat dinner.

- You can earn imprints from missions which can then be used to train a certain skill. This is intended to offset the time traveling when doing a mission and allow you to improve an area of your choosing, rather than making grinding the fastest way to go.

- Combat was designed to have a far more narrow gap between new and veteran players than most games. It's similar to UO in that aspect.

- Each crafting recipe has its own mastery level that only goes up from using that recipe, and has an affect on what things you can create. This is intended to reward specialty crafters.

- The crafting bottleneck is resources. You still need the resources to gain skill. If you master many trees, you need many more resources.

- Crafters generally just create alts in games that restrict their classes. They then mail themselves materials or use the shared bank. This bypasses that.

- Being that we are skills based its trivial for us to just add a new tier if people start mastering many lines. While that one extra tier wouldn't be too difficult for a specialized person to master, it grows significantly if you are trying to master many.

- Abilities are not automatically earned. When you have the skill level you quality for them and they are listed as an earnable ability. The primary form of obtaining new abiliites is through the generated mission system. It's not easy to AFK grind through that.

- It takes a good while to max a single line. To master all of the skill lines, as well as gaining all their abilities and their mastery levels for crafting, it would be a huge grind, and you'd be gaining very little actual power over another player. Your main advantage would be that you can do more things.

I think a lot of people see uncapped skills and they think of having to grind for years to be competitive. That's simply not the case with Repop. Mastering a single tree would make you just as effective as that guy who has been playing for years and has mastered many. Their advantage over you would be that they can perform different roles, but they can only do one at a time, and they pay a penalty for switching between them.

Ideally, we don't really want players thinking of the grind at all. We just want them playing and having fun. This has been part of our skill design from the early going, and been given a ton of thought over the years.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Currently my only issue with your kickstarter project is the 10day headstart for people who spent upwards of 100s++. I don't like the idea of anything more than a 3-5day headstart. Anything more simply feels like "Pay-To-Win" to have THAT much of a headstart, and not to insult you guys AT all (in fact I can't wait for this game) but it sounds like you don't understand how bad more than 3 to 5 day headstarts can get.

Even a "3day" headstart is considered long, but 10 days?! Are you kidding O_o!? If there isn't another way to get up to 10days headstart without donating hundreds upon hundreds I won't be able to justify donating :(. My clan also feels the same way, but doesn't like posting on this forum so take that however you wish :).

Overall though, the "HeadStarts" should be further down the payment plan, and then shouldn't add more the further you go. In other words, the $50 donate mark should be the MAX for any headstarts available (3, or 5 max). Past that you're on a level playing field. Sort of like buying a box for the game for MANY people btw.

Hope you get what you need,

-Fadedbomb

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421

Headstarts are beocoming commonplace these days. The primary function of them though is to distribute player load over a period of time, rather than having everyone in the same location on day one. It helps distribute player load and improves everyones all around experience.

The way this works is that we'll start filtering in X amount of people every day, 10 days prior to the launch date. Having 10 guaranteed days ensures that you'll be in on the first day. But it doesn't mean you'll be the only people in there. If we have additional slots on that day we'll be bumping up people from the next level. It's quite possible that you'll be in earlier than your guaranteed head start. It will all depend on how many slots are available. The more days you have guaranteed, the higher your priority will be for bumping up to the next slot. We can't promise anyone that they'll get any more days than their guarantee, but it is pretty likely that they will.

Being that the game is free, the only way to get into the headstart would be to be a member. There will be ways to do that prior to launch, aside from kickstarter.

• joshuahallsjoshuahalls Member UncommonPosts: 78

Joshua Halls

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Currently my only issue with your kickstarter project is the 10day headstart for people who spent upwards of 100s++. I don't like the idea of anything more than a 3-5day headstart. Anything more simply feels like "Pay-To-Win" to have THAT much of a headstart, and not to insult you guys AT all (in fact I can't wait for this game) but it sounds like you don't understand how bad more than 3 to 5 day headstarts can get.

Even a "3day" headstart is considered long, but 10 days?! Are you kidding O_o!? If there isn't another way to get up to 10days headstart without donating hundreds upon hundreds I won't be able to justify donating :(. My clan also feels the same way, but doesn't like posting on this forum so take that however you wish :).

Overall though, the "HeadStarts" should be further down the payment plan, and then shouldn't add more the further you go. In other words, the $50 donate mark should be the MAX for any headstarts available (3, or 5 max). Past that you're on a level playing field. Sort of like buying a box for the game for MANY people btw.

Hope you get what you need,

-Fadedbomb

Sorry but I'm a little confused. Not trying to flame so if it sounds that way, it's not my intention.

Your concerned over someone getting more of a head start than you are? Is that because you think they will have an advantage over you or are you someone that just has to try and get to the end 1st?

This game doesn't have levels and a few people starting before you will only mean....not much really.

Everything in this game requires some co-dependency with everyone else. No one will be able to go it alone and get any advantage on anything.

It's like this, there is no gear grind because crafters control everything. If you start the game training in rifles then you can train all you want but you wont get high end gear until the crafters get trained and materials gathered, and there are many crafting specialties, and they will all co-depend on each other for one thing or the other.

If anything you hope and pray that as many crafters as possible get as much a head start as possible. Combat head starts are mute. This game is no preset hand held Disney land. We are going to have to build this game from the ground up when it launches because nothing is going to be done for us and simply waiting for us to ding a level number.

Hope this helps but at midnight here I can’t be held responsible for my own actions

• ArzhAngelArzhAngel Member Posts: 427

BAD IDE!!!

If they cant make it on there own, the game will never make it.

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by ArzhAngel

BAD IDE!!!

If they cant make it on there own, the game will never make it.

Have you been reading the thread at all? if you did, you would have known that they can make it on their own, but they decided to get some extra cash, so they are able to get the product out quicker and with more features at launch. The game is already in alpha and will be released next year.

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by RagnorMalak

Originally posted by ArzhAngel
    BAD IDE!!! If they cant make it on there own, the game will never make it.

Have you been reading the thread at all? if you did, you would have known that they can make it on their own, but they decided to get some extra cash, so they are able to get the product out quicker and with more features at launch. The game is already in alpha and will be released next year.

Didnt you hear, they dont read anymore just cut and paste remarks from their HUGE folder of sorrows XD