Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened?

stuxstux Member Posts: 462

I am used to games shutting down.

This game is is like a boat sailing away without a captain and no one is even home to shut it down.

I have read the official forums (hasn't let me post there since I stopped paying months ago).  I still see AV talking about what used to be a big expansion (years ago) stringing people along but I don't think anyone believes them any more.  It looks like hardly anyone is playing any more.

Even if they ever get DF2.0 out the door I am not sure if I will ever come back due to lack of trust in the developers.  Any mmo needs consistent updating for content, fixing, and balance.  But a game like this needs to keep on top of the cheating and AV has proven to not be capable of either.

They only thing the seem to be able to due is keep the server actually running lol.

My best guess is they intended this large patch that got out of hand and decided on making a re-release.  Then Greece went crazy and they got distracted, people stopped playing in scores, they further got distracted, less and less money and now they are struggling to survive not only with hardly money coming in but with all the problems going on in Greece.

Any of you previous / current players holding on to any hope on this one?

The MO forums look to be more optimistic but I have no idea if the pvp is any good there or if I want to start playing another potential sinking shit.  They seem to be holding on the hope of some patching coming out soon and I see no reason to try that until I know if that pans outs as well.

It is too bad another decent company doesn't trying a gameplay style like DF.  It is the best game out there to play from a pvp stand point.

Comments

• ChaosChestChaosChest Member UncommonPosts: 97

In beta, beta testers told the dev team that the game needed MONTHS of work before a retail release should occur.

Of course we were just beta testers.. what do they care what we think.

The devs released the game anyways. Also in beta some reall stupid changes were made.  Minor stuff. But really stupid. Like adding a few extra guard towers to areas which didnt have any before... just.. because... no reason. and removing some skills from the game.

Day 1. AV show they couldnt handle a MMO. No one could buy the game, Actually only a few hundred managed to buy it the first day .

Week 1. The mobs were all bugged to shit. People were duping left and right, and exploiting skills like crazy.

Month 1 tons of bugs everywhere. continues for 6+months

Although the 1 server only probably ever had about 15-20% max population, The devs decided to open the NA server and cut the population in half.. And never recovered.  A MMO server with low population isnt fun for anyone. The players keep the game alive making its own content i.e sieges, etc. While the dev team dragged their feet not doing much. promising lots and delivering little.

At some point the devs did manage to push out some patches and updates. It was no where near enough from what the game demanded.

Then you have about 2000 brokem promises of content/changes that were being worked on and coming soon...

They never came...

Then we hear about DF 2010........ Never released..... Renamed Darkfall Arena in 2011 and then renamed Darkfall 2.0 at the end of 2011. Still not released. Suppose to start a closed beta 3 months ago.. never happened.. no talk about it from AV.

We are halfway through 2012 and still no word about anything that is darkfall 1.0 or 2.0

Basically AV ruined the game that they created . The most likely cause is probably not having enough money to sustain a dev team and a staff for a MMO.

They are less then 5 people And probably only 3 people paid with some volunteers who work for free with promises of a paycheck when 2.0 is released.

AV has said countless times that the Greece troubles do not effect them..

Short Answer is. AV stopped working on the game. .

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

for me darkfall deviated to far from its original concept. Its nothing like the game they announced and it became a compeltely different game. Seems like the developers lack trust in their own player base and they keep silent about everything and generally ignore the suggestions of the community. For me thats enough to indicate that i should steer clear of the game. Althoguh if 2.0 ever does release i will be tempted to give it a try.

As for MO, well its most likely more buggy and abit mroe unfinished, but the developers have stuck to thier original concept and openly discuss and interact with the community daily and for that i aplaud them. They might not be great at putting together a polished product but for the msot part they have been honest and always willing to answer questions. Like darkfall mo also released way to early due to funds but, MO is awaiting its much anticipated expansion that will brind together alot of the content that the communtiy has been crying out for so they have been listening. is see this exapnsion as more of a re-release with a hell of alot of people waiting with baited breathe to return to the game once it launches. Will MO survive or darkfall ever return? i honestly couldnt tell you. But i think MO is worth a try once the expansion launches.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

let me tell you some facts:

The dedicted players of darkfall ( which are around 2500/3000 people) are still coming to forums now and then..( im talking about long time followers)

Over the last 2 years this clubhouse slinkt into 1000 people and maybe 300/400 people sometimes playing it..

EU server is dead.

NA server is slowly dying aswell..

Currently:

We don't know if they got any new content.. ( i do think they work on something tho)

@ the forum people are getting constantly banned or warned  for giving opinions about the situation..

Mods deleting whole threads

And i am not even talking about the content of this threads.. most of the content of this threads are legit debats..

what i do hope @ some point that this darkfall goes either open source.. or a small company with brains takes over..

tbh: internetQ owns 50% of aventuring.. basicly what i am thinking is that internetQ orders AV to focus on other stuff. like mobile apps and so forth

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75

One thing I figured out early on is that Darkfall is not Aventurine's only priority. Hell, it's not even a top priority to them. They take a lot of outside contract work that has nothing to do with game programming. Much of it is government contract as well as commercial programming. I suppose that helps pay the bills but it's not good for DF customers at all. They viewed Darkfall 1.0 as a "proof of concept" more than as a commercial product, although they do not openly admit it. Now they are hard at work selling that proof of concept to Asian investors to sell Darkfall 2.0. They never seemed to grasp the idea that they really had a good niche audience for Darkfall. The sort of fans, when given proper respect, involvement, and attention can be very loyal and help to grow the game... similar to EVE's following. Those loyal fans are too bitter at this point to drink their kool aid again. All that is left in the game is a few hold outs. This does not bode well for the future of Darkfall 2.0. If it ever sees a release.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462
    Originally posted by deathshroud

for me darkfall deviated to far from its original concept. Its nothing like the game they announced and it became a compeltely different game. Seems like the developers lack trust in their own player base and they keep silent about everything and generally ignore the suggestions of the community. For me thats enough to indicate that i should steer clear of the game. Althoguh if 2.0 ever does release i will be tempted to give it a try.

As for MO, well its most likely more buggy and abit mroe unfinished, but the developers have stuck to thier original concept and openly discuss and interact with the community daily and for that i aplaud them. They might not be great at putting together a polished product but for the msot part they have been honest and always willing to answer questions. Like darkfall mo also released way to early due to funds but, MO is awaiting its much anticipated expansion that will brind together alot of the content that the communtiy has been crying out for so they have been listening. is see this exapnsion as more of a re-release with a hell of alot of people waiting with baited breathe to return to the game once it launches. Will MO survive or darkfall ever return? i honestly couldnt tell you. But i think MO is worth a try once the expansion launches.

MO topic:

When is the expansion rolling out?

How is the combat compared to DF?  The DF combat  was the best of any MMO I have played to date.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

Thanks for the update guys.

It is shame the game was damn fun for pvp (other then the cheating) and I miss my DHoV and OTG friends.

I haven't seen a game worth trying in a while and was hoping this game my pull through at some point even though logic says it is a lost cause.

Originally posted by stux

MO topic:

When is the expansion rolling out?

How is the combat compared to DF?  The DF combat  was the best of any MMO I have played to date.

expansion is when its done but most likely end of june early july.

mo's melee combat is superior to DFO, you have directional attacks and blocks as well as stamina to manage and counter attacks so its quite different but still twitch based, for me darkfall melee consisted of bunnyhopping in a circle and swinging wildly.

as for magic MO has a very basic magic system inplace at the moment that is likely to change in the expansion after, esentially you charge a spell then you have so long before the spell fissles to target and release, but the spell homes in if the target was under the reticule when you cast. So its not as good as darkfall magery but it still has some skill involved and magery doesnt dominate the game like it does in darkfall. Archery is like playing with the railgun from quake, if you fire the arrow when they are udner your cursor then the arrow will hit, like instant travel time. The arrows do dip with distance but they do not take into account having to fire infront of a moving target. But both magery and archery are still very useable and most likely will be reworked later.

I think the reason why i prefer mo combat system is that everyone cant do everything, so you fight people with different combat styles, some hybrids, some mages, some archers, some mounted archers, some warriors etc etc. Everyone isnt an everything guy.

some early vids of mo pvp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWSL-dzP0TM&list=UUkxnmI0MyniCCBU8spMBxAw&index=16&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1Oc6ovWrE&list=UUkxnmI0MyniCCBU8spMBxAw&index=14&feature=plpp_video

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H73NKqIX3E&feature=related

DF pvp! owns MO any day fo the week by a loooooong way.

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

the simple fact that everyone is a jack of all trades and magery is severly op ruins it imo. Also my fav aspect of pvp is melee combat and darkfalls is poorly done. Also i hate all the over the top particle effects magery looks like a fireworks display.

if they balanced all 3 combat styles, implemented some form of max skill restriction like UO, improved melee combat to make it more engaging and indepth and dumbed down the over the top particle effects then i would call darkfalls better. But as it is now its just different. With the impending wipe on top along with the way the developers treat their playerbase i honestly cant consider playing darkfall, 2.0 will hopefully be fun but i doubt if it ever gets released that AV will change thier ways.

• ChaosChestChaosChest Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

the simple fact that everyone is a jack of all trades and magery is severly op ruins it imo. Also my fav aspect of pvp is melee combat and darkfalls is poorly done. Also i hate all the over the top particle effects magery looks like a fireworks display.

if they balanced all 3 combat styles, implemented some form of max skill restriction like UO, improved melee combat to make it more engaging and indepth and dumbed down the over the top particle effects then i would call darkfalls better. But as it is now its just different. With the impending wipe on top along with the way the developers treat their playerbase i honestly cant consider playing darkfall, 2.0 will hopefully be fun but i doubt if it ever gets released that AV will change thier ways.

Totally agree.

1 of many flaws of DF is jack of all trades. Everyone can be "gm" of every single skill. Means every character you run into is exactly the same. Sure you have the differences of how long character 1 has played/macrod vs character 2. But bottom line is every player character has the same skill sets which results in the same pvp fights over and over again.

A skill cap just like UO would be nice. Added to MAJOR upgrades to melee and archery attacks/skills. By the way 2009 devteam says archery will be getting weapon types and skills (they never came... along with those prestige classes which never came)

They did mention sometime in 2011? that they want to limit mages from having every single magic school. While I guess that would be a start.. That still has nothing to do with the major problems of archery and melee being awful in pvp if you dont have magic to back it up your worthless.

A melee with 30k+ value in armor vs a naked mage or ajust a robe on and the mage will knock up the melee and destory em, and bunnyhop away. The values for being naked or robes or in shitty armor need to be corrected and make it dangerous to be in such shit armor.  In the end major overhauls really need to occur to all three attack types. Give HUGE bonuses to be spec'd into 1 type of attack.  They sort of started things with the little specd options they introduced a long time ago but it wasn't enough to make a big enough difference.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

HONEST?

PLEASE... this is a company that still to this day... 2 years after release.. has not shipped the promised "release" discs to customers that foolishly bought the boxed version of the game.  Their CM was on these very forums MONTHS ago promising that they would have compensation for the affected players in days.

Darkfall has it's own issues for sure, but IMHO SV is one of the most unethical companies I have ever seen.  Heck.. even their CS guy used to use the name CS_SHADY.

We will see what is in store for Darkfall.  When the new version releases I will check it out.  My hopes for a good sandbox have shifted to Archage though.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

MMOs dont get a second chance!

You start and stay big or grown incremental - if this is not happen there is no way to recover bcs the market is unvorgiving and saturated to a degree that is simply beyond imagination.
    So while it took you years to develop the magic expansion 5 to 15 new mmos have arrived and the market is even more saturated.
    The new mmos have at least the greener gras honeymoon phase until they fail while the old mmo has lost credibility already and nothing but doubt.

In todays market magic patches must be applied within the first 2 weeks and magic expansion within the first 3 months.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

although its true that many people have left what still remains true (at least in my view) is that despite all its flaws its still the best MMO. I cant think of another MMO I would rather play. I know that sounds crazy, sure you get more 'dings' in other MMOs but none of them give you the same feeling of being in the world like Darkfall does. I know people will make jokes but like I say, I cant think of another MMO that is better. At least for me.

Ironically, I have zero competitive spirit in me which might have a lot to do with it.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me