Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MASSIVE population drop in last 2 weeks!

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Just go to the official Server Status Page right now and see for yourself.  It's a depressing sight.

On US: Only fatman is heavy (no suprise) plus two standard load. Rest is Light.

On EU: Two server Standard load. Rest is Light.

It is now in middle primetime here in EU. You do the math.

I don't think they can turn it around anymore. That ship has long sailed now.

They waited way way too long with server transfers / mergers, which still seem to be at least 1 to 2 months away!

By then, even the Fatman server won't be heavy load anymore.

This game will go down in the history books as the biggest and most expensive feck up of all time!

What a display of sheer missmanangement! /Facepalm

• DromedarrDromedarr Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Rommie10-284

Everything is pointing to the ship snapping in half, but man, I still didn't quite think I'd see it happen.  How can a developer with the string of successful releases foul up an IP like Star Wars?  And yet there is water pouring in everywhere.  The post-mortems should be brutal and not mince words.

I'm soo looking forward to those post-mortems. 200mill game dead in less then a year. That's gonna be epic to read.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

well, Diablo is not really the same player type as SWTOR. some of them perhaps. but in May we had betas from Tera, TSW and GW2. people simply let run out their subscription due to these new upcoming games.

This is nearly the dumbest thing anyone can say.  Oh not the same player type?  You're kidding right?  So if I play MMOs I can't play Games like Skyrim or D3, what about Dragonage, how about plants vs. zombies?

I happen to play all of the above and I think a LOT of people do.  Especially with a HUGE title like D3, people are going to stop other games and play.  Just because it's not an MMO doesn't mean MMO gamers aren't playing it.  You seem to think MMO gamers are 100% ONLY playing MMO's EVAR and that they only change up games when another MMO comes along, that's foolish.

A gamer is a gamer.  Genre rarely matters if the game is fun and they want to play it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Gurpslord
    Originally posted by UsulDaNeriak

well, Diablo is not really the same player type as SWTOR. some of them perhaps. but in May we had betas from Tera, TSW and GW2. people simply let run out their subscription due to these new upcoming games.

This is nearly the dumbest thing anyone can say.  Oh not the same player type?  You're kidding right?  So if I play MMOs I can't play Games like Skyrim or D3, what about Dragonage, how about plants vs. zombies?

I happen to play all of the above and I think a LOT of people do.  Especially with a HUGE title like D3, people are going to stop other games and play.  Just because it's not an MMO doesn't mean MMO gamers aren't playing it.  You seem to think MMO gamers are 100% ONLY playing MMO's EVAR and that they only change up games when another MMO comes along, that's foolish.

A gamer is a gamer.  Genre rarely matters if the game is fun and they want to play it.

lol yea I see this argument a TON.. I never knew a gamer who only played one type of game and hated all others.. I know some who hate FPS or hate rpgs but saying diablo 3 isn't taking a chunk of gamers away from any game is just silly

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Tor has not been steady at all on Tor Status.  It has had massive decline every day since January.  With the exception of a 3 day stretch shortly after 1.2 released where there was a posoitve gain fro 3 consecutive days.  But that was immediately followed by bigger and bigger drops each day.  The Tor Status shows the total amount of the drop from all servers in the bottm left corner.  That has been dropping of late as there are so few peoplle left and almost all servers are dead.  There is very little room forit drop nowas it only has a handful of servers left that are not dead.

Originally posted by Zippy

Tor has not been steady at all on Tor Status.  It has had massive decline every day since January.  With the exception of a 3 day stretch shortly after 1.2 released where there was a posoitve gain fro 3 consecutive days.  But that was immediately followed by bigger and bigger drops each day.  The Tor Status shows the total amount of the drop from all servers in the bottm left corner.  That has been dropping of late as there are so few peoplle left and almost all servers are dead.  There is very little room forit drop nowas it only has a handful of servers left that are not dead.

yes, there's been decline, but not anything alarming

look at the graphs

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg821/scaled.php?server=821&filename=torstats.jpg&res=landing

feb till mid May - BLUE

it's pretty steady both EU and US

ORANGE - massive drop in last 2 weeks, now it's so low that torstatus can't even detect the drop. it's prety much LOW all the time on most servers

• Trol1Trol1 Member Posts: 175
    Originally posted by Bardus
    Originally posted by Trol1
    Originally posted by mikahr

SWTOR's biggest issue was/is that people didn't get the alt system clear enough as the basis that SWTOR is build upon:

if people were still working their way thru creating new characters by following their storylines, nobody would see a big issue.

Instead kids today want to be at the top in no time so creating a second (or heaven forbid 3rrd, 4th 6th 8th) character if they've already completed the game once is pointless to them.

I'll give you the kids part but it stops after "today", the rest of that....WUT?

We don't get the system? How about the system sucks and we get it perfectly. They created a game thats only content is leveling toons. On top of that only about 10% of each toon leveling is different than the one before it if it's in the same faction. The only variety is one toon on this faction and one on the other. There's not even variety in the missions. They are all kill X this many times and return. That is fun? let me ask that again. Is that fun?

I think the people that have given up has seen the big issue clear as a bell. The game is not designed to STAY fun.

Wow there! You may not like/get the alt system, others do. Does that mean it's bad? Nope.

And yes, BW made the mistake of not giving more class unique quests which of course would have made playing any class a more unique experience.

Yet, there is a fact that BW sadly failed to point out: you don't need to do every quest available to get your toon to lvl50!

So, if you know this, you can actually reduce the number of re-used quests quite a bit: skip that Heroic 4, instead do that Heroic 2+, with the next toon then do the Heroic 4 but skip the Heroic 2+, etc.

Plus there are factors like PvP and space missions.

I have only ever done 1 space mission on any of my toons, so if I were to start a new one and get him to his ship, yeah, I'd have a whole new playground, the space missions to level my char up with.

Oh, and excuse me, but how many games have missions/quests that are something else than "kill X this many times"? If you say GW2, I'll laugh my arse of and send it your way! GW2 is just as "kill X this many times" they just hide it via a progress bar and by adding some alternative thing you can also do to complete the quest (which usually are things like "erase X of those graffity" or "stomp on X hornets nests").

And again, just because you aren't having fun doesn't mean other people can't have fun. I mean nobody is forcing you to play the game, right?

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    snip

Less and less people are having fun by the day.

But...everythings fine, amirite?

And by the looks of it...you are having more fun here than playing it :)

Originally posted by k1klass

i left in april, declining population and declining guild and no matter how much i tried i lost my fanboi ways and just ended up hating the game, mainly becouse i spent 130 on the ce edition for a really poor game which i did sort of see coming when they announced and showed off the flash space game on rails, i just hoped the rest would be better but take away the great storyline system and you left with a below average mmo.

on further reflection the best star wars mmo was shutdown, i had 3/4 years on/off subs in that game and now see it was a far better game, just wish they had relaunched that with graphics update lol

Bravo! Well said!

You ordered the CE.

You hated the game when they told you that space compat is on rails.

You are now complaining that you bought the CE.

You know, this is what I don't get: when you already have an inkling that something in the game is bad - maybe even as unimportant a cog as the space missions - why did you stick with the CE?

I mean I'd understand if you'd downgraded to the deluxe or the regular, heck, if space combat was as important to me as it seems to be to you, I'd even cancelled the order completely and waited for the reviews/trial options to come in...

I would not have kept the CE!

Unless of course you reallyreallyreally wanted all the other stuff that came with it?

In that case, well, you got what you paid for: a game that would have cost you just as much in either the reg. or deluxe version, with the deluxe giving you a few more extras, and all the other junk you bought the CE for.

Stop complaining and man up to the calls you make!

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

It's too bad.. BUT it was bound to happen. You know things are going to go real bad when the company blames all their problems on the customer.. The same thing happened when SWG got the NGE..if you ..the paying customer..didn't like the new game. it was because you were stupid ..and probably fat..and stupid. It couldn't possibly be their product  that was at fault.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Wow there! You may not like/get the alt system, others do. Does that mean it's bad? Nope.

And yes, BW made the mistake of not giving more class unique quests which of course would have made playing any class a more unique experience.

Yet, there is a fact that BW sadly failed to point out: you don't need to do every quest available to get your toon to lvl50!

So, if you know this, you can actually reduce the number of re-used quests quite a bit: skip that Heroic 4, instead do that Heroic 2+, with the next toon then do the Heroic 4 but skip the Heroic 2+, etc.

Plus there are factors like PvP and space missions.

I have only ever done 1 space mission on any of my toons, so if I were to start a new one and get him to his ship, yeah, I'd have a whole new playground, the space missions to level my char up with.

Oh, and excuse me, but how many games have missions/quests that are something else than "kill X this many times"? If you say GW2, I'll laugh my arse of and send it your way! GW2 is just as "kill X this many times" they just hide it via a progress bar and by adding some alternative thing you can also do to complete the quest (which usually are things like "erase X of those graffity" or "stomp on X hornets nests").

And again, just because you aren't having fun doesn't mean other people can't have fun. I mean nobody is forcing you to play the game, right?

nobody is forcing you to come on to these forums and defend a sub par mmo but you still are... either way point me to a decent somewhat recent sci-fi MMO and ill be on my way to play that but till then ill complain about swtor and the broken shell of game it turned out ot be compared to what it could of been. Also comparing actual gameplay questing from swtor to GW2 is laughable yes the VO in swtor is nice but actually getting from point A to point B is mind numbingly boring in swtor

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

This is the price of arogance.  I stil remember how beta players (and fedback) were treated the first month -thanks to fanboys of course they didnt feel the need to listen to anyone.

Originally posted by Dromedarr

look at the graphs

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg821/scaled.php?server=821&filename=torstats.jpg&res=landing

feb till mid May - BLUE

ORANGE - massive drop in last 2 weeks, now it's so low that torstatus can't even detect the drop. it's prety much LOW all the time on most servers

How is that not alrming they want from Very heavy to standard to the lowest possible poin light or 1.0.  One cannot get lower than a one which is essentially where they are now.  All servers are dead except 13 (10 US and 3 Euro)and of the 13 8-9 more will be dead within month.  Essentially they will be left with 4-5 viable servers out of the 200 they started with.  How can the drop off not be any steeper.

Originally posted by n3v3rriv3r

This is the price of arogance.  I stil remember how beta players (and fedback) were treated the first month -thanks to fanboys of course they didnt feel the need to listen to anyone.

Sadly I was one of the fanboys. Not anymore. The game's going down, big time.

Originally posted by Rocketeer 

What a rant. Look, some of us have been in this situation before. Picked the wrong server in WHO, rerolled on a higher pop one. Then that became low pop aswell, and i rerolled on the next, then that one went down the drain again ... Im just not up for a repeat of that.

Besides if everyone would do as you told and recruit people from other servers(which won't really work since they are a) alts of 50s with legacy tree they like to keep, or b) don't see the point of rerolling from a low pop server on another low pop server just cause you say it'll be fine) then there would still be servers that would be low pop and everyone would still be unhappy(you ninja players from server x to your server y, and someone taking your advise from server y ninjas them from your server x, yeah nothing changed). There are just too many servers period, and no amount of players shuffling their seats around will change that.

Besides its not like BW is posting warning signs of "do not join" on low pop servers. New people will roll their toons on them because they believe low pop servers will eventually turn into med and high pop servers, since the game is new and all.

Telling people to reroll is no solution because you simply don't know which server will die next, server mergers are the solution. 

You know, you should probably stop playing MMOs with more than 1 server, otherwise the same story you had with WHO may repeat again... and again... and again...

Sorry, your points are are a bit of a joke:

I read "ninja" as stealing from someone.

So, who would you be stealing players from? What person? The server?

D'oh... isn't that server merger just that? "Hey, I picked The Swiftsure, if I wanted to play on The Fatman I'd picked that one, now you are telling me that my Swiftsure is merged with The Fatman? And the result is called The Fatman because that is the stronger of the two?" 

Nobody does "ninja" players, all you do is offer them a better home. Which they may see as true or not afterall you are saying that they should rather join you than you giving up your toons and join them (or any other server for that matter).

And why would BW have to put up warning signs to stop people from joining low pop servers?

Iirc this game is rated PG12/Teen... now if I (and BW) can't trust someone age 12 or older to look at the server pop information and make their own choice, maybe MMOs should only be available for purchase after you have completed some training and gotten yourself MMO cerified...?

Anyhow, yes, "server mergers" will probably happen (or something like that... in the long run...) but the whines are now... so, here are your choices: stop the whine until BW comes thru with what they say they will (eventually) be doing, or find an alternative to do now...

If you pick the first, well, do you really think BW will say "oooh, Rocketeer is whining again, maybe we should do the transfer thing a week early?"

look at the graphs

feb till mid May - BLUE

How is that not alrming they want from Very heavy to standard to the lowest possible poin light or 1.0.  One cannot get lower than a one which is essentially where they are now.  All servers are dead except 13 (10 US and 3 Euro)and of the 13 8-9 more will be dead within month.  Essentially they will be left with 4-5 viable servers out of the 200 they started with.  How can the drop off not be any steeper.

ok, once again: last 2 weeks were extremely bad for population. it's so low, it's not even possible to measure it anymore. The last 2 week are alarming. 

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777
    Ao is really the only true sci fi game, it just looks old that is the only problem with it, but it is getting a update*this time for real* EVE is ok i guess but it is sci fi, if you like only ships.
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

It seems any MMO sucks atm including WoW if we look at Xfire which is a trendindicator.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

Originally posted by Greyhooff

Well, isn't that precious?!

Okay, if you are such a big hero character, ever considered to try helping those people who feel alone on their server and have only 1 lvl50 (if at all)?

All it takes is less than 10 secs to roll a random toon on another low pop server, then go to Fleet and fire off a bit of spam telling people who'd like to start a new character on a different server (read: yours) that you'd support them.

Who knows, maybe you can even get a guild behind that movement?

But no, you'd rather sit on your arse and whine and tell BW to fix it.

You know, I'd perfectly well understand if BW doesn't care about their "target audience" if the target audience is like you.

So you blame "lazy players" for playing on empty servers, saying they should "just reroll all their toons" on a more populated server? What blame would you assign to Bioware-EA who destroyed their own game through sheer incompetence, dishonesty and laziness?

For a while I thought no one could be that dumb.

Then I checked and found that since joining these forums last month you have done nothing but make long posts criticising GW2 and praising (or deflecting blame away from the developers of) SWTOR.

I guess it's obvious what you are.

A person who tasted the hype that is GW2 and found it yuck? A person who actually has fun playing SWTOR?

Oh my, I must be some sort of alien, a mutation, a pod person out to get you... oh, wait, those are the GW2 fanbhoys... nevermind...

Yes, I do blame "lazy players" for not being able to change things - things that they could change themselves! - but rather start whine and cry for BW to fix things.

Which is even funnier considering that you are saying that BW destroyed the game?

For a moment I was tempted to return the "dumb" compliment, but rather I'll leave you to the dreams that the moronic handyman who just broke all the water pipes in your kitchen is the right person to turn to when it comes to the gas leaking from the oven...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I guess that's what happens when you combine a major release (diablo 3) with a public announcement that the company basically doesn't give a crap about the game anymore. I was honestly surprised TOR kept it's population as high as it did for so long.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Rocketeer 

What a rant. Look, some of us have been in this situation before. Picked the wrong server in WHO, rerolled on a higher pop one. Then that became low pop aswell, and i rerolled on the next, then that one went down the drain again ... Im just not up for a repeat of that.

Besides if everyone would do as you told and recruit people from other servers(which won't really work since they are a) alts of 50s with legacy tree they like to keep, or b) don't see the point of rerolling from a low pop server on another low pop server just cause you say it'll be fine) then there would still be servers that would be low pop and everyone would still be unhappy(you ninja players from server x to your server y, and someone taking your advise from server y ninjas them from your server x, yeah nothing changed). There are just too many servers period, and no amount of players shuffling their seats around will change that.

Besides its not like BW is posting warning signs of "do not join" on low pop servers. New people will roll their toons on them because they believe low pop servers will eventually turn into med and high pop servers, since the game is new and all.

Telling people to reroll is no solution because you simply don't know which server will die next, server mergers are the solution. 

You know, you should probably stop playing MMOs with more than 1 server, otherwise the same story you had with WHO may repeat again... and again... and again...

Sorry, your points are are a bit of a joke:

I read "ninja" as stealing from someone.

So, who would you be stealing players from? What person? The server?

D'oh... isn't that server merger just that? "Hey, I picked The Swiftsure, if I wanted to play on The Fatman I'd picked that one, now you are telling me that my Swiftsure is merged with The Fatman? And the result is called The Fatman because that is the stronger of the two?" 

Nobody does "ninja" players, all you do is offer them a better home. Which they may see as true or not afterall you are saying that they should rather join you than you giving up your toons and join them (or any other server for that matter).

And why would BW have to put up warning signs to stop people from joining low pop servers?

Iirc this game is rated PG12/Teen... now if I (and BW) can't trust someone age 12 or older to look at the server pop information and make their own choice, maybe MMOs should only be available for purchase after you have completed some training and gotten yourself MMO cerified...?

Anyhow, yes, "server mergers" will probably happen (or something like that... in the long run...) but the whines are now... so, here are your choices: stop the whine until BW comes thru with what they say they will (eventually) be doing, or find an alternative to do now...

If you pick the first, well, do you really think BW will say "oooh, Rocketeer is whining again, maybe we should do the transfer thing a week early?"

Possibly one of the most ridiculous responses I've ever read on these forums.

You've never heard of backdoor recruiting? You must be new to online gaming, sounds like you need a lesson in netiquette.

The game has been going downhill since launch and isn't improving. Stop blindly defending something because of a misplaced sense of loyalty and face the reality of the situation.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

Well, isn't that precious?!

Okay, if you are such a big hero character, ever considered to try helping those people who feel alone on their server and have only 1 lvl50 (if at all)?

All it takes is less than 10 secs to roll a random toon on another low pop server, then go to Fleet and fire off a bit of spam telling people who'd like to start a new character on a different server (read: yours) that you'd support them.

Who knows, maybe you can even get a guild behind that movement?

But no, you'd rather sit on your arse and whine and tell BW to fix it.

You know, I'd perfectly well understand if BW doesn't care about their "target audience" if the target audience is like you.

So you blame "lazy players" for playing on empty servers, saying they should "just reroll all their toons" on a more populated server? What blame would you assign to Bioware-EA who destroyed their own game through sheer incompetence, dishonesty and laziness?

For a while I thought no one could be that dumb.

Then I checked and found that since joining these forums last month you have done nothing but make long posts criticising GW2 and praising (or deflecting blame away from the developers of) SWTOR.

I guess it's obvious what you are.

A person who tasted the hype that is GW2 and found it yuck? A person who actually has fun playing SWTOR?

Oh my, I must be some sort of alien, a mutation, a pod person out to get you... oh, wait, those are the GW2 fanbhoys... nevermind...

Yes, I do blame "lazy players" for not being able to change things - things that they could change themselves! - but rather start whine and cry for BW to fix things.

Which is even funnier considering that you are saying that BW destroyed the game?

For a moment I was tempted to return the "dumb" compliment, but rather I'll leave you to the dreams that the moronic handyman who just broke all the water pipes in your kitchen is the right person to turn to when it comes to the gas leaking from the oven...

looool. seem that the company excuse for the game have an incredible drop of server population is fine for some players, even is defend. just LOL. 

"lets blame players for the low population server, much better than complain us and with some luck some troll will believe  this and defend us". by EA xDD

is because players like you that MMORPG are on the current state.

EA/Bioware complete destroyed the game ALONE

look at the graphs

feb till mid May - BLUE

ok, once again: last 2 weeks were extremely bad for population. it's so low, it's not even possible to measure it anymore. The last 2 week are alarming. 

I agree it is alarminga s the game likely only has 200k players left and is rapidly heading to under 100k.  With only 13 very light servers left it would be hard to believe any mroe than that are playing.  But the decline the [ast two months is no different than the decline that we have seen on ToR Status since January.  It has been hemeroaging quite a bit almost everyday since release.  With a small slide orleveling  in the decline when 1.2 released.  The problem  in any game like his is when people start leaving it creates a domino effect where it encourages more people to leave. resulting in hte 156 dead servers they have now.  If they acted differently and put in free server transfers they likely could have saved a lot of these people and funnled them to other servers.

But EA/BWs direction has to been to try to foolpeople into believing the game is successful hoping they can attract mroe people.  That has failed miserably and has essentially kiled the game.  Thier new idea is this mega server scam where they can pretend to put everyone on 4 big servers when they know in a few weeks there will only eb enough players to support 4 normal servers,  it allwos them to save face, pretend the game is doing well and encourages fanboys to post even more ridicoulous garbage.  But when I say that Tor is dead I do not say this in a happy way.  It is a shame and it is sad for what the game could have been.  But there may be a chance with cntinued funding Tor could have a resurgence in a year or two.  One has tolook no further than AO or EQ2 to see its possible.  But for now at least in the short term its a dead game.

• TROLL_HARDTROLL_HARD Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by ignore_me

As a rule, if I see someone use the words Whiney, Whiner, Whining, I know the post is garbage.

I totally agree with this. I learned to filter out a lot of dross here.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

Hmm, I dunno. I was curious and checked xfire (yeah, I know, shouldn't do that etc), but it looked to me that a lot of games had a drop the past couple of weeks. Sounds like a D3 effect that helps a lot. And didn't SWTOR have something like 200-250 servers or something like that, instead of 13?

I read somewhere that MMO servers usually have an average population of 10k per. But even if it'd be only 4-5k on average, that's still a lot.

This discussion has been closed.