Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scrap the Elder Scrolls MMO, make a DayZ type mod for Skyrim.

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

That's right stop wasting money.

let us Host Skyrim Servers with a 50 player cap.

Drop everyone into the world, add perma death, pvp and survivability mechanics like needing to eat to survive ala New Vegas.

make the mobs harder.... yadda, yadda, yadda... seriously this MMO is going to fail look at all the negative press and player responses.

Who's with me? DayZ mod for Skyrim?

I would jump all over that.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• JellytoezzJellytoezz Member UncommonPosts: 26

Ignoring all the problems that COULD arise, that sounds brilliant.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Sadly. The Elder Scrolls games don't provide Multiplayer functionality. :-(

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by JeroKane
    Sadly. The Elder Scrolls games don't provide Multiplayer functionality. :-(

Skyrim online is kinda a joke, but its a start

Atleast they have the item syncing down now, pitty it suffers from horrible lag.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

gameplay wise, would would be interesting about a multiplayer Skyrim?

doesnt make sense....

Skyrim is Themepark RPG by design. So boring. Only thing interesting about Elder Scroll games on consoles has been the Open World feel to them. thats it.

the gameplay is a bore. Nothing about the gameplay is better or even close to that found in a standard themepark MMORPG.

sad but a reality. most of you that keep asking for a sandbox TES MMO, dont realize what you are asking for....

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709

Um....uh huh.

Arena, Daggerfall, and the gigantic Morrowind were huge leaps in the CRPG department in terms of open world gameplay. It was a solo thing, no party like in Might & Magic and Wizardry. I'm assuming you've played those games too AND thought they were boring?

How about Ultima Underworld? Arx Fatalis? The solo open-world first-person RPG WITH SKILL BASED GAMEPLAY are godsends to alot of RPG fans.

Boring? Sure thats your opinion. I think the games you like are fucking boring. My opinion.

• MajorBiggsMajorBiggs Member UncommonPosts: 709

But back to the OP, i think i know what you mean...If DayZ added say some sort of skill-based improvement i.e. your aim improves a little after enough shooting exp, you dont have to eat as much after a while of play(that is if you SURVIVE).

No overall leveling, just small little attributes that improve. This could work for a huge mod or TC for Skyrim lol.

I love elder scrolls games (after oblivion it started to get a little more...accessible to people) but I have no hope for the MMO. They need to stop with this shit.

Originally posted by MajorBiggs

Um....uh huh.

Arena, Daggerfall, and the gigantic Morrowind were huge leaps in the CRPG department in terms of open world gameplay. It was a solo thing, no party like in Might & Magic and Wizardry. I'm assuming you've played those games too AND thought they were boring?

How about Ultima Underworld? Arx Fatalis? The solo open-world first-person RPG WITH SKILL BASED GAMEPLAY are godsends to alot of RPG fans.

Boring? Sure thats your opinion. I think the games you like are fucking boring. My opinion.

Skyrim MMO with large scale multiplayer wouldnt last longer than even APB... please!!! come back to reality... we miss you..

• INFWarpathINFWarpath Member UncommonPosts: 3

To MMOExposed-----You sit there and say "we" like everyone shares your opinion. Making stupid statements like this isn't helping you prove any points. Some people would like to see such a game, just because you aren't one of them doesn't mean that the concept alone wouldn't work. 

Of course adaptation would need to be made, but to sit there and scoff at the idea of such a game working is downright foolish. Have you studied the market? Are you in-tune with the target demographic? Are you a game dev? No, so don't sound so sure. 

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

ARMAII had the advantage of having mutiplayer already built into the game so modding it for DayZ was much easier than trying to mod Skyrim for Multiplayer

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• INFWarpathINFWarpath Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

ARMAII had the advantage of having mutiplayer already built into the game so modding it for DayZ was much easier than trying to mod Skyrim for Multiplayer

Very true. I personally don't think it would be possible with Skyrim, but a similar game type with a multiplayer component would be extremely engaging. Hell, I would settle for 2-player coop within a game world as beautiful as Skyrim. 

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

doesnt make sense....

Skyrim is Themepark RPG by design. So boring. Only thing interesting about Elder Scroll games on consoles has been the Open World feel to them. thats it.

the gameplay is a bore. Nothing about the gameplay is better or even close to that found in a standard themepark MMORPG.

sad but a reality. most of you that keep asking for a sandbox TES MMO, dont realize what you are asking for....

Whats so interesting about Arma 2? The Dayz mod dropped 50 people on a large map, turned pvp perma death mode on and added in zombies. While you wouldnt do the zombie thing with Skyrim you can just increase the difficulty of the monsters.

Honestly you do nothing in Day Z but roam around and survive as long as you can. This can't be done in Skyrim to the same effect?

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by Z3R01

doesnt make sense....

Whats so interesting about Arma 2? The Dayz mod dropped 50 people on a large map, turned pvp perma death mode on and added in zombies. While you wouldnt do the zombie thing with Skyrim you can just increase the difficulty of the monsters.

Honestly you do nothing in Day Z but roam around and survive as long as you can. This can't be done in Skyrim to the same effect?

BECAUSE,,, its no longer Skyrim if you do all this. why not make a game built around that kind of gameplay. Because what you are asking for, is noting to do with TES games. So whats the point of using TES IP at all?

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Well they have that new Dawnguard expansion coming.  I'd think someone could probably make a great mod using that.  Alter it up a bit.  Seems they have flying vampires and all sorts of crazy stuff. 

Id be for hunting down vampire lairs added in the mod during the day with monsters guarding the vamps.  Meanwhile at night the sky is filled with bats, flying vamps, and all sorts of horror and you just try to survive.  Doing it with other people would probably be a blast. 

Would be nice to have the towns mostly uninhabited and desolate.  Giving a feel of desperation.  Sure you'd need some vendors and stuff maybe.  But Id take out people walking in the open and give the idea of a society under seige.  A sort of apocalyptic scenario to it all.  Throwing in a few werewolves here and there for good measure.  

Converting Skyrim to a horror centric game via a mode would take a ton of work, but sure would be interesting to play.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Yes plx.

Or for Fallout NV.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I'd like to see a "Land of teh Dead" server that has a large central hub with the sandbox elements fromthe life servers. Each faction could have it's own capital city. Then it wouldn't seem so pointless. imagine if there was a place you could trade yoru baked beans in safety, and buy bunkers or humvee with HMG. Would sure beat running around seeing how long you can not die.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I cannot believe you can say that in all in basically the same breath....

Skyrim is boring, but a standard themepark MMO isn't? I could argue all day about the combat alone, let alone presentation, world design, etc, etc.

Millions disagree with you.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

Skyrim is boring, but a standard themepark MMO isn't? I could argue all day about the combat alone, let alone presentation, world design, etc, etc.

standard Themepark MMO has WAY MORE FEATURES THAN SKYRIM ALONE!!!!

you seem to ignore that.... Rift has more content than Skyrim themepark RPG gameplay. The World is big only on a singleplayer console game terms. Its nothing to be excited about once you play MMORPGs....

and the world feels empty at that.

explain to me, how Skyrim is anymore exciting gameplay wise than any crapfest MMO, or even any sandbox low pop MMO like Darkfall or MO?

it isnt. the gameplay is boring. Even Demon Soul has more fun gameplay. the quest are boring, just like traditional questing in a themepark MMO. And the Dungeons are a bore fest copy paste over and over. I seen better Dungeons in a Themepark MMO. and at least they have Multiplayer to keep things dynamic and entertaining. Skyrim does not!!!!

come on,,, show me something that Skyrim does better than a Themepark MMO!!!

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

you seem to ignore that.... Rift has more content than Skyrim themepark RPG gameplay. The World is big only on a singleplayer console game terms. Its nothing to be excited about once you play MMORPGs....

explain to me, how Skyrim is anymore exciting gameplay wise than any crapfest MMO, or even any sandbox low pop MMO like Darkfall or MO?

it isnt. the gameplay is boring. Even Demon Soul has more fun gameplay. the quest are boring, just like traditional questing in a themepark MMO. And the Dungeons are a bore fest copy paste over and over. I seen better Dungeons in a Themepark MMO. and at least they have Multiplayer to keep things dynamic and entertaining. Skyrim does not!!!!

Because at no point am I required to achieve an objective laid out by the developer. 

Which is the only thing that seperates a themepark from a sandbox.  The lack of structured goals, otherwise known as an objective, that can't be ignored. 

But I can see from the tone of your post that the only reason you have this absurd idea of what a sandbox is is because you have some sort of issue with sandbox gameplay.   You're last sentence clearly shows that you would prefer to chase carots instead of growiing your own.

PS: someone is working on a multiplayer mod for Skyrim.  Just need someone to take it a little further and host it on servers that allowed for more then 3 or 4 people.

Originally posted by Uhwop

Because at no point am I required to achieve an objective laid out by the developer. 

Which is the only thing that seperates a themepark from a sandbox.  The lack of structured goals, otherwise known as an objective, that can't be ignored. 

But I can see from the tone of your post that the only reason you have this absurd idea of what a sandbox is is because you have some sort of issue with sandbox gameplay.   You're last sentence clearly shows that you would prefer to chase carots instead of growiing your own.

what? using that logic, all Themepark MMO are now Sandbox, because I can run off and do whatever I want to instead of endgame raiding 24/7....

HEY EVERYBODY RIFT AND GW2 ARE SANDBOX MMO!!! SPREAD THE WORD!!!!....

/end sarcasm

addressing that last part of your post.

sorry but Carrot on the Stick, is only in the head. You can have fun regardless. in Skyrim, you could say, getting stronger was your carrot on the stick. logic applies here. its alll in the head. I can play the way I want to. thats not what makes a game themepark or not.

Sandbox are known for player made content. Skyrim's only Sandbox element comes from the open PC version of the game's modding. thats it.... nothing gameplay wise about Skyrim is sandbox. its themepark.

• SuperdoodSuperdood Member Posts: 3
    Fallout DayZ mod would actually be possible. Since multiplayer is possible in Fallout.

IT would be awesome.
  • yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

Um....uh huh.

Skyrim MMO with large scale multiplayer wouldnt last longer than even APB... please!!! come back to reality... we miss you..

You are the same person who would say "WarCraft MMO with large scale multiplayer wouldn't last longer...etc" you know you would be wrong because you have no clue what the devs THEN at Blizzard were planning to do.

My point, ANYTHING can work as an MMORPG IF done right. Unfortunately, The Elder Scroll Online sounds like same old crap. They even want to make it a 3rd person with WoW like User Interface.

An MMORPG like TES: Skyrim CAN work, you would be an idiot if you want them to exactly mimic the single player game (just like thinking World of Warcraft wouldn't make sense coming from a RTS franchise).

Almost 90% of all MMORPG based on current IP or even new ones failed. Not just because YOU think TES: Online would fail just because of Skyrim (the Single Player RPG). Problem is I agree with you but not because it's based on Skyrim (or TES) but because there are NO developers with a hint on what an MMORPG should play like.

I was surprised by Biowares announcements 2-3 years ago and I even wrote a reply here and on my blog. A lot of game designers are CLUELESS and that's the ONLY reason why these games fail. They just want to make the same game everyone is bored playing already. They also forget an essential part of why MMORPGs are created and how people would want to spend years (not only months) playing the game.

doesnt make sense....

Gameplay is boring?

You're a clueless gamer, but then again you probably are someone who likes those games that I disgust. I guess the reason why you don't like it is because you don't even know what you're talking about.

Game play is close to that found in standard themepark MMORPG? Are you kidding me?

1. First Person compared to Third Person View

2. Non Linear approach to the world  (WoW-like MMORPGs are too linear)

3. Left Click / Right Click and Z for Shouts (compared to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and an action bar filled with skills)

4. Single Player Experience compared to Respawning/FedEx Questing from Crappy MMORPGs

5. Power Attacks by holding mouse button

6. Casting by choosing the spell to go on either hand or both (yeah that's something we always see in MMROPGs right?)

I'm not a Skyrim fan and I don't give a damn if anyone bashes it. But bash it for the right reasons. What I hate the most is retarded comments people saying fallacies like this. It's hilarious.

Skyrim is not a "Themepark" RPG and it's not a Sandbox. If WoW is a Themepark Skyrim cannot be categorized themepark because WoW is linear and put you in specific path (for instance you cannot go to from a level 10-20 zone to a level 30-40 zone despite the fact it might be just neighboring the zone) the quest lines take you step by step from zone to zone. In Skyrim and TES you're FREE to go anywhere, any town, do whatever you want. That is NOT themepark. Stop being retarded.

Originally posted by yewsef

Um....uh huh.

You are the same person who would say "WarCraft MMO with large scale multiplayer wouldn't last longer...etc" you know you would be wrong because you have no clue what the devs THEN at Blizzard were planning to do.

My point, ANYTHING can work as an MMORPG IF done right. Unfortunately, The Elder Scroll Online sounds like same old crap. They even want to make it a 3rd person with WoW like User Interface.

An MMORPG like TES: Skyrim CAN work, you would be an idiot if you want them to exactly mimic the single player game (just like thinking World of Warcraft wouldn't make sense coming from a RTS franchise).

Almost 90% of all MMORPG based on current IP or even new ones failed. Not just because YOU think TES: Online would fail just because of Skyrim (the Single Player RPG). Problem is I agree with you but not because it's based on Skyrim (or TES) but because there are NO developers with a hint on what an MMORPG should play like.

I was surprised by Biowares announcements 2-3 years ago and I even wrote a reply here and on my blog. A lot of game designers are CLUELESS and that's the ONLY reason why these games fail. They just want to make the same game everyone is bored playing already. They also forget an essential part of why MMORPGs are created and how people would want to spend years (not only months) playing the game.

dude/lady ,,,, smh

you want to go there....

Warcraft MMO came out at the right time, when the MMO generation was making a transtion to a new mindset, similar to how the EQ generation transitioned from the UO mindset that was the main format of MMO back then.

If a failed MMO like,,, SWTOR, WARHAMMER, AoC, were to have come out back then, they likely would have recieved the same success that WoW did.

they released later when the genre was ready for a new transition, which they didnt offer, so they failed in today's eye. simple as that. nothing Sandbox/Themepark related pal.

Originally posted by Uhwop

what? using that logic, all Themepark MMO are now Sandbox, because I can run off and do whatever I want to instead of endgame raiding 24/7....

HEY EVERYBODY RIFT AND GW2 ARE SANDBOX MMO!!! SPREAD THE WORD!!!!....

/end sarcasm

addressing that last part of your post.

sorry but Carrot on the Stick, is only in the head. You can have fun regardless. in Skyrim, you could say, getting stronger was your carrot on the stick. logic applies here. its alll in the head. I can play the way I want to. thats not what makes a game themepark or not.

Sandbox are known for player made content. Skyrim's only Sandbox element comes from the open PC version of the game's modding. thats it.... nothing gameplay wise about Skyrim is sandbox. its themepark.

I think this is not the only time you Troll me in these forums. I remember your name, are you the owner of MMO Exposed?

While you're having fun mocking them because they don't know the definition of a sandbox I find you amusing because you have no clue what a themepark is. People think if it's not Sandbox, it's a themepark.

You know what, stop saying Sandbox and Themepark ok? Games are not designed with these in mind. All the game mechanics and design vision should be AS IS from the designers prospective implementing everything he sees fit. A stupid designer is one who says "I Want to do a Sandbox!" or "I want to do a Themepark!"....

A good MMORPG is a good MMORPG... unfortunately there are none implemented well to point at as to what's a good example of what I think is a good MMORPG. Just the simple fact when you kill NPCs/Monsters you loot coin is enough for me to laugh at its game design. Economy should be more complex than "farming monsters" and economy is just one part of an MMORPG. The problem is not if it was Sandbox or Themepark... the important thing is the creative game design and vision.

Originally posted by yewsef

Um....uh huh.

dude/lady ,,,, smh

you want to go there....

Warcraft MMO came out at the right time, when the MMO generation was making a transtion to a new mindset, similar to how the EQ generation transitioned from the UO mindset that was the main format of MMO back then.

If a failed MMO like,,, SWTOR, WARHAMMER, AoC, were to have come out back then, they likely would have recieved the same success that WoW did.

they released later when the genre was ready for a new transition, which they didnt offer, so they failed in today's eye. simple as that. nothing Sandbox/Themepark related pal.

Just a note to Moderators. If I get banned or warned for Trolling; I would like to take this Exposed Entity with me... Be fair alright?

Okay you little exposed mammal.

Warcraft was an example of how stupid your perception for a game going MMORPg. When you think the developers who want to make a Skyrim MMORPG are going to copy the Single Player game exactly then you're retarded. As retarded as a person who thinks WoW would be just Warcraft 3 with a lot of people.

You thought when they will create a TES MMORPG they would just copy their games EXACTLY into an MMORPG world. You're stupid, if you don't get my point just nevermind.

I never talked about why WoW was a success. I gave the example of how un-imaginative you were. If someone wants to make an MMORPG based on a Single Player Game; it's not necessary going to be the exact same single player experience.

Of course WoW was successful for many reason and ONE of them was lack of competition.

TOR and RIFT are NOT possible to come out before WoW because WoW standardized the whole thing with its shitty Quest Driven game play and simplifying the genre. They ruined a genre that had a great potential. Made a lot of monkeys in suits (probably like you) wet their mouths wanting a piece of the pie. It's all went down hill from 2004. From the D2 itemization (Common, Uncommon, Rare) VERY ARTIFICIAL and PREDICTIBLE to the Community Killer Auction House (god forbid players want to interact to trade!).

All these game mechancis/features killed MMORPGs and NO ONE wants to break the mold.