Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: To Be Unveiled as SOE Title at E3

Comments

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Even SOE recognizes you can't do permadeath in a MMO with current state of internet connections, so if you were counting on that feature you can forget it.

As to a MMO world strictly of dungeons, that would get very old fast.

The entire game is designed around permadeath, it wouldn't work without it.  All you are doing is stateing a (wrong) opinion as fact with nothing to back it up.  An mmorpg set up as a massive maze with completely open pvp and permadeath would probably be the most exciting and difficult game on the market.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

from googling around,

this game has been "live" in Japan for the last 8 months

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=18304

Japanese MMO Publisher Seeks Partners for Worldwide Distribution

Los Angeles – Oct. 17, 2011 – Leading Japanese massively multiplayer online (MMO) game publisher Gamepot Inc. is continuing its march to bring Wizardry Online to gamers around the world. Launching the open beta in Japan last week to an overwhelmingly positive response, Gamepot quickly added multiple new servers to accommodate the more than 100,000 sign-ups acquired on the first day of testing alone. Commercial service is now live in Japan and Gamepot is working to deliver an English version to fans in the U.S. and Europe in early 2012.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080

If there's perma-death it's not going to be very successful, just sayin.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Even SOE recognizes you can't do permadeath in a MMO with current state of internet connections, so if you were counting on that feature you can forget it.

There are several games that do permadeath. You obviously hav eno idea hwo the system works either. You travel back to your body in the spirit realm. If you make it back to your body in time you recover, but you can only do this so many times. I will lay it I played Diablo 2 on Hardcore for years with Dial up so don't tell me that perma death isn't popular because you were still squirting in your shorts the last time a major game featured it. I'm pretty sure there are tons of D3 hardcore players as well so please tell me more about how no one likes perma death.

Well games like Diablo can do it because they really don't have GM support, you just cannot believe what a support nightmare is for GM's with permadeath in MMO's.  Bad enough in games like Eve where they lose items.  So no, SOE knows better, they will not have permadeath in the game it will become some other form of losing items or some such.  BTW spirit form is not permadeath, you might learn what the term means.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Asamof

heart sank when I saw SOE's name

so much for this game

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Ozmodan spirit form is not permadeath, you might learn what the term means.

the death is permanent if you fail to get a spirit shrine

permadeath = loss of character forever

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

The permadeath is Wizardry Online is more complicated than you people think.  I've been reading badly translated reviews for a while now.  When you die you go into spirit form and have a chance to get your body back, if you get it back then you aren't permanently dead.  However, each time you do this there is a ever increasing chance that the character dies permanently even if you get your corpse back.  Die too many times and you are dead.  However, in addition to standard character advancement the game also features a Soul Level.  This is advancement that your characters will retain even in permanent death.  Your overall soul level will never be taken from you so advancement monkeys won't necessarily just freak out when they lose a character. 

All areas of the game allow for PVP, so yes, you can get ganked and killed.  Towns have guards that will attack players flagged as outlaws though, so gankers have to stay out of the major cities.  

Permadeath is something we have been missing in mmorpgs for a while and this game will carve out a solid nitch for itself if it sticks with the hardcore principles forged in Japan. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Interesting, I wonder how much of the spaceship stuff they will be keeping in the game.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

oh yeah!! finally a mmorpg that i want to play, hope Sony dont screw it ( i know they will)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

with ther soul levels it doesnt seem too harsh even with permadeath.  it kinda reminds me of getting kerpodded in eve (which has happened many a time heh)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Waiting for it anxiously. Surely its something new . Not many well known mmorpgs walk the path of permadeath.Hoping it will also have something of the magic of the 90's rpgs that used to came out and made us rpgholics.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by EndDream

The fastest selling PC game ever that was released last month disagrees.

Yeah, and in that game permadeath is an option and not forced on everyone. I can guarantee that if it was forced permadeath you would alienate the vast majority of those customers.

Having a permadeath server? Sure why not....

Having permadeath for everyone? Say goodbye to the majority of your potential subscribers. 

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Love or hate SOE, you gotta give them this:

They are trying to break the mold. They definitely are trying to advance the genre in lots of ways.

Sandbox MMOs, Mmofps, kids MMOs, free to play, action based combat, their in house engine, etc.

They definitely aren't churning out your average eq/wow clone over and over. Well, EQ3 might be the exception to that, but we really don't know.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I've played all of the Wizardry games.  I won't be playing this one.  I never considered the series to be hardcore, but that sure seems to be the spin they're going for and I'm not up for it.

• phoonzangphoonzang Member UncommonPosts: 22

I have been waiting for news about this game... squeel!

I don't think the game is made to appeal to everyone hopefully SOE doesn't try to make it fit for everyone.

This whole conversation is getting weird ... Just plain weird

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by dubyahite
    Love or hate SOE, you gotta give them this:

They are trying to break the mold. They definitely are trying to advance the genre in lots of ways.

Sandbox MMOs, Mmofps, kids MMOs, free to play, action based combat, their in house engine, etc.

They definitely aren't churning out your average eq/wow clone over and over. Well, EQ3 might be the exception to that, but we really don't know.

Lets look at SoE's major releases:

Everquest.  Obviously unlike anything thats come before it

Planetside.  MMOFPS

SWG.  Sandbox with a true player driven economy and amazing crafting and social aspects

EQOA.  Console only MMORPG, they squeezed a hell of a lot of life out of that frontiers disc

Everquest 2.  Technically the first 'themepark' game as we know it today, although Blizzard was obviously on the same wavelength

DCUO.  A stab at more action oriented combat

Thtas a pretty varied slate, and the only one that was considered bad is DCUO, and even that one has gained respect somewhat.  

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

I have very fond memories of staying up all night, playing the FIRST Wizardry (Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord) with my father. You had to make your own maps with graph paper, and it was FUCKING AWESOME. The game was so primitive, yet the experience was the best I have had with any game since. Those were the days...

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

DCUO isn't remotely bad.  Just not the right type of gameplay for a sub fee or overly restrictive cash shop.   It lacked a good end game is it's major pitfall though.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by finnmacool1
    Originally posted by Asamof

heart sank when I saw SOE's name

so much for this game

ditto

This.

/endthread

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

While I'm intrigued, I'm somewhat taken aback due to SOE being involved. However, I'll keep it an eye on it. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

f2p at release with probably a revive potion that can be bought through station cash to restore your character.

just a guess.

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

Why are so many here comparing Wizardry with Elder Scrolls?

Wizardry was released in 1981.

Bethesda Softworks was FOUNDED in 1986.

The Elder Scrolls - Arena was released in 1994.

By the time Elder Scrolls ONE came out, Wizardry SEVEN had been out TWO years.

The both series built upon the earlier releases, and when Wizardry started, if your computer had 16k ram (Yes, 16 KILOBYTES !) and a double density single sided 5.25" floppy drive  you were doing good. So called 'open world design' wasn't even a catch phrase, it was science fiction.

Both games were products of their times, and were good. But to try and compare them based on modern games (The last wizardry was 8 in 2001) is just plain silly. Try finding out what the features of the MMORPG are, especially since that's what's supposed to be discussed, and see how that compares to current MMORPGs, not some relic (though loved) software titles of the ancient past.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

SoE will probably launch it at permadeath, then realize the numbers are lower than they should be for a new game, then either reduce the death penalty or get rid of it all together in effort to reach a larger audience. Perma-death in non-MMO setting (Diablo 3) isn't a good comparison to one in an MMO, and Sony isn't a small time Indie company willing to take financial risks, either. 

To those who were looking forward to perma-death, this is probably not good news for you. Now if Konami or Atlas decided to get in on this, that would be different.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

SoE will probably launch it at permadeath, then realize the numbers are lower than they should be for a new game, then either reduce the death penalty or get rid of it all together in effort to reach a larger audience. 

Sorry but no. Hard game difficulty, getting lost in dungeons and permadeath is what Wizardry franchise IS. They won't be getting rid of one of main features that attract people to Wizardry :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

well i played the first  wizerdy game fr years and liked the ones after  now im not to into the perma death is this going to be just going to be a loot whore game runnign around trying to keep your loot ya i can see the ragers going crazy in this game oh crap ran into 4 people who killed me took all my loot ug not to fun i rember in uo oh we get piised if are fave wep got taken before the insurence was added so ya going be a rage fest