Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ten levels to decide if you like an mmo ? (poll)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Whats Your opinion ?

Can you decide if you like an mmo in just 10 levels ?.....I seem to be able too.

Often a Tutorial is enough, or shortly after.  Many mmo's use the standard level 10 then again level 20 where you get your cool abilities.  But besides that I could get that inner feeling if I would like an mmo.

I could go on with examples, but that would change the topic and start arguements..........So how about you ?

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It's enough for me to know if i might like it, it doesn't really take much to get a feel for a game. A game could have the best end-game in the world but if i don't enjoy the getting there then it's not a game for me. I never used to care about the leveling process but my tastes have changed over the years.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

A mmo tryout in 10 levels.. hrm voted no, just becouse I know that most mmo's have radical shifting game play experience toward the "endgame" but sometimes I do simply not like a game for its art style or the way combat flows ..then 10 levels usaly is enough.

still voted no since usaly 10 levels aint even enough to find some play friends and thats basicly the only thing that makes a mmo more fun then a singleplayer game.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I can't, and shouldn't judge mmo's, video games, books, movies, etc, only from the first 10%. You can never know this for sure. Not hating on Funcom here, but just look at AOC. If you used that same example, the same would be amazing at launch. What i always do is wait for any video game to launch first and then read impressions and reviews (taking them always with a grain of salt) from people who have actually played most of the content (looking at you IGN). Making a "final verdict" on an mmorpg of all genres based on the first few moments of a game is just not right IMHO.

If one doesn't like what he has seen, cool, walk away, but don't walk away thinking "well that sucked now so it will suck all the way until the end"

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

You can decide really rather quickly whether the asthetic properties of specific aspecs of the game appeal to you, even within seconds of playing the game. You can even instantly say you like or dis-like a game overall (as an amalgum of scrutiny of each part).

The discussion however is usually around the fact that those aspects which are being judged are subject to change at different times throughout the game, be it level or story wise.

Seeing as how that's the case I don't see how the poll really makes sense because you can decide whatever you like whenever you like, others may argue that your decision is hasty due to alterations later, but given that the later time is arbitrary, the 'level 10' mark is irrelevant both in terms of time and progression.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Several games have all ready tried this.  EQ2 and other all had done this way back in the day.  It still happens, even rift had a play to a certain level.

Honestly I don t think it really works how do you know what all a game has to offer if you can get to level 10 in under a day.

Just saying I don't think that works.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Not really. I can usually decide after a few hours if the game is good enough to keep playing, but the real decision comes after playing 1-3 months.

10 levels can help you sort out the games that are a really bad fit but they are not enough to see if you will play the game for years.

As an example have I played GW2 longer than 10 levels and really like it so far but I still have no clue if it is one of those games I will play for years or if I just will play it for 6 intensive weeks.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Now I must say that doing pre-research helps a lot before I even began.

At times I have maybe half my decision made before I even start.  Sometimes I'll try one anyway.

Now here are three examples for me :

The Secret World - with out even playing, it's a no.  Clues, doing net research and googling, and zones are not for me.

SAWTOR - Played Beta for 10 levels and hated it. Video clips, and leaner game play are not for me. And should not be in an mmo.

GW2 - Without playing yet at all, I already say that it's a good chance I will like it.

Sooooo.....Often pre-judging in my own mind helps along with 10 levels.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

i have tried EVE many times and i still dont know do i like it or not ,so yes and no.

Let's internet

• davchadavcha Member UncommonPosts: 130

I can decide in three levels that I don't like a mmo....

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269
    Originally posted by delete5230

At times I have maybe half my decision made before I even start.  Sometimes I'll try one anyway.

The Secret World - with out even playing, it's a no.  Clues, doing net research and googling, and zones are not for me.

SAWTOR - Played Beta for 10 levels and hated it. Video clips, and leaner game play are not for me. And should not be in an mmo.

GW2 - Without playing yet at all, I already say that it's a good chance I will like it.

That's a different prospect, what you're asking now is 'Does going into a game with a bias opinion have an influence on how likely I am to enjoy it", imo it's pretty obviously yes.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

First impressions are important

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I usually know within 10 minutes if I like a game or not, don't need 10 levels.

The only time I will force myself to continue to play is if I bought the game, then I might play 20 minutes to make me feel better about my purchase lol.

• TaiphozTaiphoz Member UncommonPosts: 353

I like to level cap before i really make my mind up, either level cap or the second my initial free time runs out.

I think making your mind up on an mmo in early levels is crazy, so much of almost all mmo's opens up to the player in the later levels, so making an informed descision at lower levels is just madness, you might not like the early play but then a few levels later it might all change.

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by delete5230

And you're wrong on both games you haven't played. So much about that xP

TSW's zones are pretty much the same size as GW2's zones. The puzzles are optional. All 3 got "video" clips, TSW's are imo best, GW2's worst.

I like GW2 best, but for entirely different reasons.

Hype train -> Reality

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

I voted yes because under most circumstances i can generally tell if i like certain features and the overall "feel" of the game, however with that said a devs reputation would also play a huge part in my assessment of a game with only 10 levels to evaluate..

Certain devs i will not name would still likely leave me wondering if the game is frontloaded with nothing behind door number 2 or if it is even complete..

Playing GW2..

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

If I begin leveling and I pass lvl 10 without even noticing it usually means im really enjoying a game :)

So for me, yes I can decide if I like an MMO after lvl 10.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Certainly a "no" for me.

Far too many examples of MMOs that are fun as hell for the first few weeks, perhaps (given my playstyle) the first 1/2 of the leveling process, it's the "mid game" that really sells a game to me or not.

Obviously end-game is important to me too, but it's really the mid game that sells me or not.

WAR? Mid-game lost me.

Rift? Mid-game lost me.

TOR? End-game lost me, but I took a break from my "main" once I hit mid-game.

WoW? Gave up on mid-game a couple of times, finally got a toon to 60 (in Vanilla) and was hooked (on and off) for 8 years.

SWG? Mid-game lost me.

UO? Really was no mid-end game, still my nostalgia vessel. /love UO

What else...

Tabula Rasa? Mid-game lost me.

Earth and Beyond? Mid-game lost me.

LOTRO? Early levels lost me.

AoC? Early levels lost me.

FFXI? Early levels lost me.

EQ2? Early levels lost me.

EvE? Mid-game lost me.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

No

Now there are a few games that I did within ten levels come to the conclusion that it wasn't for me or the game had drastic issues. But I like to experience a little more than what ten levels gets you in these games anymore before I decide if a game is worthwhile at this point.

Anyone waiting ten levels though seems to be giving the game at least a go. That seems to be 8 more levels than most "official" game reviewers play before writing their review.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I voted yes, but I don't usually stop at Lv.10. Some games lets you level very quickly in the early stages so usually what happens is that I play until Lv.10 and if I really disliked my experience, I'll stop. Else I'll continue playing until Lv.20 or so and then see if it gets better/if I'm having more fun. If it doesn't, I stop and move to a different game if there's any.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

In 10 levels, I know enough to decide whether or not I want to see the 11th.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Grimm666Grimm666 Member UncommonPosts: 126

I voted yes. While the first ten levels don't tell me how enjoyable the game's progression and end/long-term gameplay is, I can still get a good idea if I enjoy the combat, presentation and UI, and these are the 3 factors which I will generally have to deal with from the first level until my 10,000th hour.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I think it depends if you look at (the game) negatively or positively.  If you're finding what you expected to see, ya, it won't take long.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Not really. I need to see the endgame.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Depends really. In general, I don't think ten levels is enough but if I've spent those ten levels running from one end of a huge zone to the other over and over and over at a snails pace I probably won't stick around.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I can usually tell if I like a game in the first couple of hours......If I dont like the way a game feels or plays, then more time or levels isnt going to change that....In fact, I dont remember any games where I hated the first few levels and loved the rest of the game.....It also might be a "leveling vs end game" question as I enjoy leveling more than end game......Some players are willing to put up with lackluster gameplay at the lower levels to reach end game......