Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Worst of Diablo 3

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

The guy made some pretty valid points and is spot on with all of them . Story, Itemization and Difficulty Scaling are just 3 of the major issues that plague Diablo 3. Thoughts ?

Pt 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8CBbeSAjVo 

Pt 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI4peeO3yzY 

Pt 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4lX-MKrgI 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

This guy does make some pretty valid comments.  He does so in an articulate and concise way with good information to help support the pointd he makes.  Most D3 players past normal can relate.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Hmm, he does make some valid points but he makes quite a few not so valid point.

Video 1 - this I don't understand. I've seen seen this complaint quite a few times now. People complaining that difficulty is scaled by upping stats in an RPG is a bit ridiculous. Mobs are slighly smarter in the later difficulties and they get a few extra affixes. This plays exactly the same as Diablo 2. What do you want the game to throw at you? Solve a maths equation to win?  I am very curious as to why he compared D3 to D2 in all his videos but this one. Because D2 was exactly the same but much easier. No one ever complained about this back when D2 was being actively played.

I guess he got his *** handed to him too many times and he feels bitter.

Video 2 -  He does make a valid point that classes have been turned into 2 stat monkeys - vita + main dmg stat. In D2 there were too many useless stats on the items but instead of removing them altogether they should've buffed those stats. On hit/death effects were a perfect example of this. They could've tweaked them to make them more useful. Although on death effects felt very cheap and good thing they were removed. My biggest problem with the new system is the reliance on weap damage. I have found equipping all sorts of wierd choices for my wizard such as bows, crossbows, two handers etc.

Video 3 - I was literally loling pretty much all the time through the storytelling video. He wanted morally ambiguous reasons why Diablo is doing what he was doing? Facepalm. The only thing I agreed with is that there should be an option to automatically skip cinematics.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

On one side, you have the people that say that D3 is nothing like D2. On the other side, you have people that say that D3 is too much like D2.

I think everyone is full of crap :).

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Doubt D3 will ever have the legs D2 had. The game is too centered around a business model for it to succeed for a long time.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The major issue is

THIRTY BLOODY SEVEN
  • Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

All too true, very good review.

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Hmm, he does make some valid points but he makes quite a few not so valid point.

Video 1 - this I don't understand. I've seen seen this complaint quite a few times now. People complaining that difficulty is scaled by upping stats in an RPG is a bit ridiculous. Mobs are slighly smarter in the later difficulties and they get a few extra affixes. This plays exactly the same as Diablo 2. What do you want the game to throw at you? Solve a maths equation to win?  I am very curious as to why he compared D3 to D2 in all his videos but this one. Because D2 was exactly the same but much easier. No one ever complained about this back when D2 was being actively played.

What you do is add things like new behaviours, special moves for existing enemies, and even new enemies altogether. Maybe in Hell your basic Zombies get a poisonous bite that lowers movement speed, and in Inferno that same bite also lowers armor. Skeletons with shields get a shield charge that stuns you for a second, or a shield bash that does a lot of damage with knockback. Things like that.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Overall, the problem for me is that some of the enemies and abilities simply cannot be countered with player skill. Some of it can, certainly; the exploding ice crystals and arcane lazers that some Elites summon can be devastating, but they're avoidable if you're paying attention and if you manage your defensive skill usage/cooldowns effectively.

However, a pack of Elites with Life Steal, Quickness, Extra Health and some other modifer is just a cheap, one hit killing machine with insane amounts of survivability who you can do nothing about unless you are vastly over-geared for the encounter.

And another problem is that those Elites are simply too tough when compared to everything else. White mobs are generally pansies. Uniques and Bosses, even big bosses like Belial, pose more of a challenge, but much less so than many Elite packs. I'm in Hell right now, and I just got done killing Belial with a friend, and honestly, I'd rather fight two Belials at a time than a pack of Elites with cheap modifiers.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

On one side, you have the people that say that D3 is nothing like D2. On the other side, you have people that say that D3 is too much like D2.

I think everyone is full of crap :).

I just say, "I am having fun."

To me that is all that matters, I will leave all the pissing and moaning to the usual suspects...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Mephster
    Doubt D3 will ever have the legs D2 had. The game is too centered around a business model for it to succeed for a long time.

no game will ever have the legs that D2 had ever again unless someone makes a game that is so innovated and game breaking that no other game will compare for years.

D2 released at a time when online gaming was just starting out.

also(this isn't aimed at you), its funny when people complain about there only being two stats that matter. in D2 it was no different except you had to stack dex and str just to wear items, that's it.

even energy rarely got stacked, it was all about one stat....vitality.

i think the way D3 does it is actually better and i also think the people that complain that you cant distribute stats are also hilarious because you actually can do that by gearing your character with the stats that you want.

you can gear your character to have whatever stats you want, you are just not locked into like you were in D2

seriously, if people are going to complain, have a legit argument at least.

the lack of PVP, balance, and the server stability issues are really the only legitimate gripes IMO

all of that can (for the most part) be fixed and at least improved as far as the balancing goes.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by baphamet

also(this isn't aimed at you), its funny when people complain about there only being two stats that matter. in D2 it was no different except you had to stack dex and str just to wear items, that's it.

Meelee damage, block chance, attack rating (ever tryed a one handed axe only barbarian requiring no dex? :) ), ability to fuel several whirlwinds on skeletons...

You cannot really compare the uber cookie-cutter or hardcore approach with "normal" battle.net, tcpip or singleplayer gameplay.

Flame on!

:)

Originally posted by Banaghran

Meelee damage, block chance, attack rating (ever tryed a one handed axe only barbarian requiring no dex? :) ), ability to fuel several whirlwinds on skeletons...

You cannot really compare the uber cookie-cutter or hardcore approach with "normal" battle.net, tcpip or singleplayer gameplay.

Flame on!

Everyone stacked vita be it softcore or hardcore. Still there were a few things which people had to consider. For example, ES sorc always >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than vita sorc even though for some reason 95% of the sorceresses used mass vita and no ES lol.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by baphamet also(this isn't aimed at you), its funny when people complain about there only being two stats that matter. in D2 it was no different except you had to stack dex and str just to wear items, that's it. even energy rarely got stacked, it was all about one stat....vitality.

Flame on!

you only stacked dex to meet the min requirement for your items or to get 75% chance to block(not every build required that), i never stacked str for any other reason other than to meet the min level to use items, even with a barb.

point is, you only stacked one stat and it was always vit other than the energy shield sorc that other person mentioned.

also, never would i stack energy just so i can WW a skelly LOL

honestly, if you played D2 you know damn well that everyone just stacked vit, everyone just put the required points in the other areas that they needed for their build and put every single other point in vit.

at least people that knew what they were doing.

Originally posted by fivorothEveryone stacked vita be it softcore or hardcore. Still there were a few things which people had to consider. For example, ES sorc always >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than vita sorc even though for some reason 95% of the sorceresses used mass vita and no ES lol. 

es sorc when taking a lot of damage basically drains your health and mana instead of just your health (since your mana is your health and you need mana to kill the stuff killing you), thats why i was never a fan myself.

Originally posted by fivorothEveryone stacked vita be it softcore or hardcore. Still there were a few things which people had to consider. For example, ES sorc always >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than vita sorc even though for some reason 95% of the sorceresses used mass vita and no ES lol.

es sorc when taking a lot of damage basically drains your health and mana instead of just your health (since your mana is your health and you need mana to kill the stuff killing you), thats why i was never a fan myself.

Sorry that's only for PvP. 

Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by fivorothEveryone stacked vita be it softcore or hardcore. Still there were a few things which people had to consider. For example, ES sorc always >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than vita sorc even though for some reason 95% of the sorceresses used mass vita and no ES lol.    
    Sorry that's only for PvP. 

i especially didn't like it in PVP, i would take huge bursts of damage in pvp (especially sucked when taking a lot of poison damage) and it would drain my mana. not saying which one was better, just saying i personally didn't much care for the ES sorc.

•  

Some very good points, well articulated and made with a certain gravitas. Clarified for me why I am playing this game so slowly compared to D2. The itemization plain sucks. Diablo has been wowified. :(

Anyway Blizz already has my money but they are not getting another damn cent. I am not recommending the game to anyone else. In fact the opposite. I will not be using the RMAH.

If you can all help yourself, and you haven't already, do not buy D3. I really loved D2 so whatever warnings I read (and there were a few) I just had to play it and see for myself.

you only stacked dex to meet the min requirement for your items or to get 75% chance to block(not every build required that), i never stacked str for any other reason other than to meet the min level to use items, even with a barb.

point is, you only stacked one stat and it was always vit other than the energy shield sorc that other person mentioned.

also, never would i stack energy just so i can WW a skelly LOL

honestly, if you played D2 you know damn well that everyone just stacked vit, everyone just put the required points in the other areas that they needed for their build and put every single other point in vit.

at least people that knew what they were doing.

Does it actually become a retort to repeat the original point without any change?

I can play this game, too:

Flame on!

• DarkmothDarkmoth Member Posts: 174

I do agree about the 2-stat problem.

Here's what baffles me - Blizzard removed stats because everyone stacked VIT anyway. Ok fine. But by that logic, no one wears any gear except VIT/<DAMAGE_STAT>/+DAM or MF...why not simplify that too, and just make two gear stats called "BADASSNESS" and "PROFITABILITY"?

If you abstract away all the inefficiencies, you aren't removing cookie-cutter gameplay, you're mandating it.
  • Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I agree about the difficulty. Having the difficulty increase from Normal to Nightmare as you are still leveling means you are essentially playing the exact same game again. There is almost no difference in play. The longer I'm playing on Nightmare the more bored I'm getting. I'd be surprised if I made to Diablo on Nightmare before I lose interest.

I also agree that the dynamic Blizz has set up regarding loot, goading players into the AH has along with my first point, done a lot to increase the speed with which I'm losing interest in playing.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

I tried rerolling another Barb but I can't stand going through normal mode again. I think I am pretty much done with the game unless somehow Blizz manages to fix the boat loads of issues it has, which I highly doubt they can because everything is centered around the profitablility of the RMAH which has yet to be released.

Originally posted by baphamet you only stacked dex to meet the min requirement for your items or to get 75% chance to block(not every build required that), i never stacked str for any other reason other than to meet the min level to use items, even with a barb. point is, you only stacked one stat and it was always vit other than the energy shield sorc that other person mentioned. also, never would i stack energy just so i can WW a skelly LOL honestly, if you played D2 you know damn well that everyone just stacked vit, everyone just put the required points in the other areas that they needed for their build and put every single other point in vit. at least people that knew what they were doing.  
    Does it actually become a retort to repeat the original point without any change?

I can play this game, too:

Flame on!

i didn't play open bnet or single player D2 because it was boring playing alone and all my friends were playing online on the servers, which made it pointless to play on open. D2 was very cookie cutter as well (compared to D3), so you really have no argument here and clearly no response to my argument either.

saying online bnet didn't compare to single player and open bnet is pretty dumb considering how many more people played on bnet compared to the former.

you may have liked it better but i think you are in the vast minority there.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

i didn't play open bnet or single player D2 because it was boring playing alone and all my friends were playing online on the servers, which made it pointless to play on open. D2 was very cookie cutter as well (compared to D3), so you really have no argument here and clearly no response to my argument either.

saying online bnet didn't compare to single player and open bnet is pretty dumb considering how many more people played on bnet compared to the former.

You can't get any MORE linear than Diablo 3. 

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Coming from a complete D2 noob, I am playing it extremely casual, 32 WD and 21Wz. The worst thing about D3 is that I beat it very early on. I'm sure I have less than 30 hours in total. I am about to compare it to Titans Quest again but, I still haven't beat TQ: Gold edition.

D3 is too short in all categories, classes, mob types etc... I suppose after an expansion or 2 it may be long enough to be worth the $60+ but since I'm an optimist I'll say the game is "Alright" and only for a casual player.

The argument that it was meant to be played on all dificulties as a grind game might be valid, but I'll only accept that once the servers stop F%*^&ing up.

I'll say this again too, I'm still pissed there's no LAN, I hate having lag while playing with someone I'm sitting beside.

I said approach, because rarely you would find, outside ladder and hardcore, someone actually concerned that he dies even on a 80+ with decent gear once in a time on that "annoying" fire enchanted as opposed to the speed he kills things ad/or how much he can spam the favorite spell, much less getting to and reading the cookie-cutter guides (many of which were advocating high dex for a shield on a sorc or nec as a alternative, btw).

D2 was cookie-cutter only inside that community you were in.

D3 is cookie-cutter regardless of how you play, due to the "difficulty" later on and the inabilty to focus on specific skills.

Flame on!