Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some advice if you are downloading the digital version

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Hey all,

I thought what the hell and went and purchased the digital deluxe version of GW2.

Just thought I would highlight some of the small issues (my confusion not GW2).

• when it asks for the key to be put in, it already shows the key inputed. However it came back saying it didn't recognise it. So I checked my mail and I had an email with the exact same number and after punching it in manually it worked.
  • The file is HUGE!!!! I have it going now for 9 hours and its only at 24% done. The avergage download speed is 160kps. So its not that slow. 
  • My wife shut the laptop cover by accident and when I went to install the game again it seems you can only do it in one sitting. Even though it was around 10%, it went straight back to the start.  So theoretically, its going to take 36 hours to download the whole game and hopefully it doesn't drop out mid way through.
Question: has anyone downloaded the game and agree with the above? Only want to know because if it cuts out and starts from scratch I will go nuts. 

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Back when I installed it the download was pretty fast and had no issue with restarting the downloader. Had to restart it a few times after getting to 100%. But overall pretty smooth.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Been going at a steady 2MB/s using the downloader atm.

No issues so far!

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by evilastro

Back when I installed it the download was pretty fast and had no issue with restarting the downloader. Had to restart it a few times after getting to 100%. But overall pretty smooth.

Can I check something. Is the downloader a semi large white box with the logo on the right side?

I followed instructions and clicked on download client and there was the 20mb initial download (assume loader) and there is about 180k files to download. 

What I can't see is a downloader logo that you sometimes see on the desktop and it auto connects from where you left off. 

After the first time it dropped I couldn't find a GW2 folder or logo etc.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Hmmm.  When I continued the download myself, the percentage reset to 0, but if you pay attention to the actual amount of files being downloaded, that's 0% of what's-remaining.  At least, when I was downloading it.

Hopefully you're not installing it to multiple directories!

... but even if you're at like 80, 90%, it'll pretend it's at 0%, but it means 0% of the 10% that needs to be downloaded.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by chryses

Can I check something. Is the downloader a semi large white box with the logo on the right side?

I followed instructions and clicked on download client and there was the 20mb initial download (assume loader) and there is about 180k files to download. 

What I can't see is a downloader logo that you sometimes see on the desktop and it auto connects from where you left off. 

After the first time it dropped I couldn't find a GW2 folder or logo etc.

That's normal to not find a gw2 folder. it's the way the client installs itself for beta.

there should be a "gw2.exe" someonewhere on your computer...defaulted to "My Documents/Downloads" for me. Open that, and you get the downloader. And yes, white box red sylvari chick on the right.

• Darkahn21Darkahn21 Member Posts: 20

As some people have said, it's normal for the downloader to restart at 0% if it gets closed and reopened. If you look at how many files are left, it should be starting where it left off. So it's 0% of whatever is left to download.

Also, 160kp/s? Not sure what speed that is (unless it was a typo and you meant kb/s) If that's the case that's not all that fast, my download was done in 2 1/2 hours with a steady 1mb/s download speed (1000kb/s).

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Hey all,

I thought what the hell and went and purchased the digital deluxe version of GW2.

• when it asks for the key to be put in, it already shows the key inputed. However it came back saying it didn't recognise it. So I checked my mail and I had an email with the exact same number and after punching it in manually it worked.
    • The file is HUGE!!!! I have it going now for 9 hours and its only at 24% done. The avergage download speed is 160kps. So its not that slow. 
    • My wife shut the laptop cover by accident and when I went to install the game again it seems you can only do it in one sitting. Even though it was around 10%, it went straight back to the start.  So theoretically, its going to take 36 hours to download the whole game and hopefully it doesn't drop out mid way through.
    Question: has anyone downloaded the game and agree with the above? Only want to know because if it cuts out and starts from scratch I will go nuts. 

1: didn't have that problem when I got the key, copied and pasted directly from the email I got. Be sure that when you copy and paste you didn't leave a space before or after it.

2: Yep, it's huge (not huger that lots of other games these days, though). My internet is slower than yours (I don't think it ever went above 90 kps) and took me about 2 days or so to download the whole thing. I just left the computer downloading continuosly.

3. Don't worry, it resumes. See the number of files, when it starts at 0% it's 0% of what you had left to download, it doesn't start over again.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

Thanks people, hopefully it goes through fine now. I don't care if it has to run for a day, as long as I don't lose it all.  Now you mention it about the 0% vs files to be downloaded, that makes sense.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Yeah, everyone is right, the % meter resets to zero on a restart, but you don't actually lose your progress.

As far as the game files. The downloader is the launcher for the game. You will have GW2.exe GW2.DAT and, I believe, GW2.tmp. Just keep them all in the same directory and you'll be fine. When I downloaded the .exe, I ran it from my general download directory. I wanted to have it in it's own directory, so I copied all three files to the new directory, everything ran fine and I deleted the originals with no issues. So, most people should be able to move the completed DL as long as all three files end up in the same directory. Then you can create a short cut, move it to your desktop and you'll be all set.

(If you move it to a directory on the same HDD partition, the copy/move is very quick, despite the size, because it's only three files).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Thanks for this, Chryses!

Be patient, it may not go fast at first but you've got time. ;-)

And remember that you can copy the client to a USB stick and move it from machine to machine if that is an option for you!

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by OldManFunk

Thanks for this, Chryses!

Be patient, it may not go fast at first but you've got time. ;-)

And remember that you can copy the client to a USB stick and move it from machine to machine if that is an option for you!

I am pretty sure you can also just run directly off whatever you are using to move the files, but that is obviously slower as everything is bottlenecked by your USB.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363

Well it appears to be going fast enough for me, so far 15% in an hour at 350kb/sec.

But yes going directly to external storage when I have it.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Wonder if they'll stick to their 'one humongous file' system after the beta like they did with GW. Nearly 14GB is getting a bit on the ridiculous side.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I doubt it will stay 14GB it will be a lot more at release.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156

Hey all,

ok first off if you have 5000 files to download and you downloaded 4550 files and then shutdown your computer go to sleep and on the morning wake up and start downloading again you will only download 50 files that you needed to download, and btw the copy and past or manuel entry code will work it dosent matter, what matter the most is you dont want to forget your Email and Password thats the important one =).  Back on guild wars 1 when you go to another city you have to download the Files again and is the same way you download the Guild Wars 2 Beta 2 Test on the Client the sweetest think is when Guild Wars 2 is release and they have a update on the client you can still be playing Guild Wars 2 and the update will be downloaded on the background cheers =).

It's worth mentoining something that caught me out - probably because I wasn't paying attention.

I set up my GW2 account then realised I could link it to my existing GW account. When I did that, the details I used to register the GW2 account were wiped (quietly) so it took me a few failed attempts to log in before I realised I needed to use my original GW account details. Not a problem really, and probably quite obvious after the event...

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by korat102

Wonder if they'll stick to their 'one humongous file' system after the beta like they did with GW. Nearly 14GB is getting a bit on the ridiculous side.

I am confused, GW1 did not have a 'one humongous file' system. It downloaded the bare minimum and then patched as you went to new areas. Basically only downloading what you needed to play in each area.

I am confused, GW1 did not have a 'one humongous file' system. It downloaded the bare minimum and then patched as you went to new areas. Basically only downloading what you needed to play in each area.

Yes but it stuffs all the data in one huge file instead of having lots of smaller files in folders like most other games. The file grows to accomodate the extra data it downloads as you encounter new areas and things.  Was just wondering if they plan to stick with that method with GW2. Bit of a pain having to download all that data again if something gets corrupted whereas with individual smaller files only the damaged files need to be re-downloaded. Have to do more backups of the games files I suppose...

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

They will. Simply because it is very well implemented and saves a lot of space compared to 10.000 2kb files.

I have never (nope, not even once) experienced file corruption during my 7 years of GW and the ease of movig stuff to another PC is great.

Mine is 12.7 Gb after updating today. I guess we all want loads of content, textures and music - And we wan't it in 5 Mb or less :P

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640
    • My wife shut the laptop cover by accident ...

Wifes dont do such things unintentionally, dude ...

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

• grimmlibertygrimmliberty Member UncommonPosts: 41

man this thing is slow,

I'm only getting 4.78MB/sec download speeds on average....

it will take me a whole 2 hours.

Of course that's not the Worst part...

then I have to wait 6 days to 'test' the beta.

(for those that didn't recognize it, it's called 'a joke'. I am very pleased with the d/l speed and can wait another six days... lol)

Sincerely,
    Grimm Liberty

To be honest I've never had any corruption problems with the large GW1 file either but the GW2 one is going to be somewhat larger. Anyway, as you said, it's a tried and tested method so not expecting any issues.

Guess i'm just asking pointless questions while waiting for the beta next weekend so I can try it out for the first time  *sigh*

I'm off to do some pointless button mashing...somewhere...

Hey all,

Its finally finished and all in one go. Took about 20 hours but hey, not that bothered.

Only thing that is slightly freaking me out is that I can log in and see that my password / account works etc. However I can't find any files at all on my system relating to GW2 except a document folder.

- > Guild Wars 2

sub item/folders - > Music folder & local data file (20mb)

I am pretty savy with computers and files etc and even searching or going manually through absolutely everything I can't see anything relating to GW2.  I am afraid if I cancel the log in screen I won't be able to get it started again.

Anyone come across this? Or am I just missing some and I am being stupid?

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Hey all,

Its finally finished and all in one go. Took about 20 hours but hey, not that bothered.

Only thing that is slightly freaking me out is that I can log in and see that my password / account works etc. However I can't find any files at all on my system relating to GW2 except a document folder.

- > Guild Wars 2

sub item/folders - > Music folder & local data file (20mb)

I am pretty savy with computers and files etc and even searching or going manually through absolutely everything I can't see anything relating to GW2.  I am afraid if I cancel the log in screen I won't be able to get it started again.

Anyone come across this? Or am I just missing some and I am being stupid?

What was your install directory? Go look in there. There arent many files for GW2 at this stage, just a massive .dat file called GW2.dat. Should be about 13.3GB

The files you mentioned are just the files in your my documents folder. You need to look for where you actually told the game to install. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Just in case you missed the info, the install directory would be whatever directory you ran the launcher in.