Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DF promo information.

RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

This week unfortunately there is nothing new to report from our development team as we have already covered all their current tasks.

We have been asked however to pass on some information about the Darkfall promotion we are preparing.

This promotion comes with both purchasing and game play relayed changes and it will last until the launch of Darkfall 2.0. We will be removing the client purchase fee and to start playing Darkfall you will only need to pay the monthly fee. We are also preparing something that has to do with skill gains.

We still need to setup a few things and perform some tests within next week so the promotion will be launched in the week after next.

We will get back to you next week with any development news.

Thank you.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

Comments

• ChaosChestChaosChest Member UncommonPosts: 97

This is really braindead "promotion"....

They plan to give away the client for "free".. but you must SUBscribe monthly to start playing it?

So Which MMO has done this successfully?? Anyone?

And is AV the type of company that comes up with their own great genius ideas? Do they have a track record of great ideas? Or awful ideas?

They basically want people to PAY to trial the game now. This just seems crazy. Will this have a positive effect on DF1 and its playerbase? Unlikely. Very unlikely.

We can only assume what will happen is DF2.0 will also be free client.  WHY? Because AV announced that if you already bought the DF1.0 client that you wont have to pay for DF2.0.... This would mean DF2.0 is free client as well.

Although this "promotion" will last all the way up until DF2.0 is released.. So something will change..

Either. DF2.0 will be totally FREE TO PLAY (no client, no monthly fees, instead microtransactions and priemium/paid unlocks)

Or DF2.0 WILL charge for the client.. But wont have a monthly fee ? Or will have both?

It is amazing to me how these people first started off Razorwax and took years using up investors money only to go bankrupt while transfering over and creating Aventurine..

This last investment will give AV some time to find even more investors money, and continue doing very little on the game in the mean time. Although it seems AV now has a dead line of getting out DF 2.0 sometime Mid 2013 from this new investors money that they managed to get a hold of.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

umm dont alot of mmos now use this system??? the client is free to download gives you an X days trial and then you sub... i believe AOC uses it, hell even WoW is basicly a free client

seems odd to "promote" this when its pretty common place. i dont see it really generating them any extra rev simply because people who play DF or wish to play it.. already do :/ free client or not really wont change that too much

• ChaosChestChaosChest Member UncommonPosts: 97

There are no free days attached to the free client...

If there was. Then it would be fine. As you said others have done it or do it currently. No big deal.

But to have a free client.. with no free days.. no way to try out the game??? And you must subscribe to play/try it??

That is why its a really strange "promotion"

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

I have not bothered looking into DF 2.0 in a long time (AV moves at glacial speed, I can't stand it), so forgive me if this is known, but I am assuming now that when 'DF 2.0' comes out, we will have to re-buy the client?  I own a DF account already, paid for the game, since they are giving it away free now that means we will have to re-buy the client again.  No thanks. 

Ok back to ignoring this game.  Will check back in 2015.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

When they announced that there may be a wipe of all toons when DF2 comes out thy should have gone completely FTP.  Then once the mystical 2.0 arrives and its perfected, start the monthly subs up again.  I know all the arguments as to why everyone shouldnt be detured by the possible wipe but obviously it has effected the population.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

For how little service they are actually providing saying a free client (when anyone really interested already own it) is a total joke.

They should drop the sub fee in about half to like $7 usd / mo.

All the promotion really sounds like (darn AV and never actually saying what they mean right out) is fast skill gain.

When I left my toon was near max so what does this promotion give me?

Answer:  NOTHING!

If the game goes free to play I have very little interest in it as hacking will be worse then it was when I left and cheating and player population were there reasons I left.  That and AV doesn't hardly do a damn thing other then keep the server up.

I can't believe I actually read people on the forums saying they haven't seen any cheaters in a while I guess even they got sick of AV lol.

Lag switching insta death from arrows, lagging warhulks in water, creative use of macros for rays jugling and water travel, the edited robes with better armor then any in the game, etc.  For a game is its nature it was to much to take at times.  Same people would be back posting on the same you tube account that took AV 6 months to ban on a new purchased character within a week.

Even if DF 2.0 sees the light of day I don't think I will come back unless a different company has taken over (and I don't just mean same people new name).

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Ichmen

umm dont alot of mmos now use this system??? the client is free to download gives you an X days trial and then you sub... i believe AOC uses it, hell even WoW is basicly a free client

seems odd to "promote" this when its pretty common place. i dont see it really generating them any extra rev simply because people who play DF or wish to play it.. already do :/ free client or not really wont change that too much

You're wrong.

They usually let you play for free and than, you pay the sub. Or, the game is free, but you can't go over level 20. Than, you pay the sub to cross that level.

This, you pay 15 dollars to play DF for free for 30 days and than, you play has never been done and its simply laughable. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• alf2oooalf2ooo Member UncommonPosts: 139

Paying 15$ a month for a daily manteinance, it's really too much; it's been a year till the game was last patched, why should anyone pay for this? Better support someone who's working on his game.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    Originally posted by Ichmen

You're wrong.

They usually let you play for free and than, you pay the sub. Or, the game is free, but you can't go over level 20. Than, you pay the sub to cross that level.

This, you pay 15 dollars to play DF for free for 30 days and than, you play has never been done and its simply laughable. 

um actually i am not wrong. 

several games use a free client download with sub. one of the mecha mmos has free client paid sub no free trial, as far as im aware this is pretty common on sub based games without physical clients.

again this really isnt a promo, as many games offer free client download. also the free 30 days is not free time. when you buy a game client (WoW / WAR / APB ect) your price for that client is generally wraps the 30 days in to that, as you pay X price for the client and an extra X amount for the "sub" claiming that "free X days"  is free is like saying a you get free gas every time you buy mcdonalds to a set amount .... its just a ploy to make you spend more

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

The client has always been free to download. You just don't have to pay to buy the game.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

Not much of a promotion, just decreasing the box price really(you'll pay 15$ for first month instead of however much it was before.) I wonder when the eta for the eta will come out, then get missed completely.image

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83
    Originally posted by Worstluck

I have not bothered looking into DF 2.0 in a long time (AV moves at glacial speed, I can't stand it), so forgive me if this is known, but I am assuming now that when 'DF 2.0' comes out, we will have to re-buy the client?  I own a DF account already, paid for the game, since they are giving it away free now that means we will have to re-buy the client again.  No thanks. 

Look at the OP and read it this time. :)

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144

The only way this promo could work is if they come out and say There will be no wipe (mad good skill gains till 2.0) kinda like a pre play) or something similar

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Boognishe
    Originally posted by Worstluck

Look at the OP and read it this time. :)

LOL...The whole reason they are making it $10 now. Because if you own DF you own DF2.0.

Originally posted by mrcjevans

The only way this promo could work is if they come out and say There will be no wipe (mad good skill gains till 2.0) kinda like a pre play) or something similar

What would make more sense was if they left the retail price at what it is now, and made it buy to play with no subcription. They've already given up on darkfall 1.0 and its not gona get anymore updates, so why would people pay a subcription.  Who knows when darkfall 2.0 will be here, if ever.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by jadedlevir

What would make more sense was if they left the retail price at what it is now, and made it buy to play with no subcription. They've already given up on darkfall 1.0 and its not gona get anymore updates, so why would people pay a subcription.  Who knows when darkfall 2.0 will be here, if ever.

Then they'd have no income. Most people interested in DarkFall already bought the client, so cutting the subs would practically reduce their monthly revenue to a near 0 (exaggerating a little) and Aventurine doesn't have the financial backing nor development capacity that Final Fantasy XIV has with Square Enix. Quite frankly they'd be dead before they could even announce an ETA on the ETA for DF2.0 .

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Then they'd have no income. Most people interested in DarkFall already bought the client, so cutting the subs would practically reduce their monthly revenue to a near 0 (exaggerating a little) and Aventurine doesn't have the financial backing nor development capacity that Final Fantasy XIV has with Square Enix. Quite frankly they'd be dead before they could even announce an ETA on the ETA for DF2.0 .

I seriously doubt that they are currently making enough money from their subs to keep themselves afloat from darkfall alone. Av has to been getting funding from else where or making a profit from other ventures, because I dont think their less than 1k subs is doing much for them. 

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

I seriously doubt that they are currently making enough money from their subs to keep themselves afloat from darkfall alone. Av has to been getting funding from else where or making a profit from other ventures, because I dont think their less than 1k subs is doing much for them. 

1k at 15$/month is still $1,500/month for Aventurine which is better than nothing. If they were to cut out the subs entirely but still sell the client which was about 20$ now(?), they'd need to sell enough client to break even every month, and that's unrealistic considering how bad DarkFall's reputation is. If they decided to cut the box price entirely, I'd say it's because they hardly make any box sales per month already.

• egotripegotrip Member Posts: 875

1k at 15$/month is still $1,500/month for Aventurine which is better than nothing. If they were to cut out the subs entirely but still sell the client which was about 20$ now(?), they'd need to sell enough client to break even every month, and that's unrealistic considering how bad DarkFall's reputation is. If they decided to cut the box price entirely, I'd say it's because they hardly make any box sales per month already.

1000 (subs) x 15 ($ per month) = 15,000 , not 1,500 Einstein.

Iiii-iiiiiit's.... me!!! *Hooray*