Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZeniMax 'unapologetic' about making Elder Scrolls MMO

ZeniMax devs 'unapologetic' about making Elder Scrolls MMO

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/01/zenimax-devs-unapologetic-about-making-elder-scrolls-mmo/

"ZeniMax Online recently called in to the Game Informer podcast to talk up its Elder Scrolls Online title. Game director Matt Firor and creative director Paul Sage were the devs of record, and the 30-minute chat featured some interesting tidbits.

Firor mentions that the game will release simultaneously on PC and Mac, but ZeniMax has no plans for a console version. Sage talked a bit about the progression system, which, while level-based, does feature skill-based advancement as well. In the current build, characters gain experience in skills that are slotted. Sage also mentions that you do get better with weapons as you wield them, though the gain is not 100 percent usage-based.

There's also a bit of discussion about art style, camera modes, and the decision to MMOify the Elder Scrolls IP. "We're making an MMO, we're unapologetic about that. This is the Elder Scrolls MMO. It's not Skyrim, Skyrim already exists and you can go play Skyrim. We're making the MMO version of the Elder Scrolls, and with that comes some conventions that are different from a console RPG," Firor says."

Me: Oh no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no yes no no no

No need to apologize! At least not yet...

Comments

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Im slicing onions here...

Well elder scrolls online sounds gre.......dinners on the table...brb!

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

They can be unapologetic all they want. That doesn't guarantee their game will sell. And if the condition of a major IP title like SWTOR is any warning, they'd be well advised to reconsider some ideas. I don't think we know enough about their game to completely dismiss it, but they cannot develop a game without regard to the consumer's tastes. They have multiple audiences to appease and cannot automatically assume that every gamer will jump with glee at their announcements. 

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118

Well if they want to try a new route with Elder Scrolls thats cool. But I hope they dont fall off the road on the way.

I like the games,  but so far- it just dont sound good....

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

The first time I read information on this from pc gamer I was shocked and interested. As I read on thou I lost interest instantly, the issue I have here is ... "Another generic MMO clone". Sorry but till they say something innovative, I just don't see it happening.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Destai

They can be unapologetic all they want. That doesn't guarantee their game will sell. And if the condition of a major IP title like SWTOR is any warning, they'd be well advised to reconsider some ideas. I don't think we know enough about their game to completely dismiss it, but they cannot develop a game without regard to the consumer's tastes. They have multiple audiences to appease and cannot automatically assume that every gamer will jump with glee at their announcements. 

They obviously have a target audience in mind.  I don't see them saying in any way or form that everyone should be happy with what they intend for the game.  Every MMO that that has or will release have their primary player base in mind.  It's the general gaming public that seem to think every game that releases should be targeted specifically at them.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

The only saving grace in my eyes atm is they have a lead developer from the old DAOC game, if they implment any of the rvr seige and such into this game for say guild vs guild of factions vs factions in a seige setting like DAOC with npc hiring henchmens on the wall mounts etc, I could definitly get into something like that. However, the basics of gameplay (from what we know) and the questing just seems like another generic MMO, it will take some innoviation from these guys to bring many to the fold. I hope this guy helps bring some good old combat into this game like that, If so, that might change many peoples opinions.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Great link, thanks for the heads up on the quote.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by chaintm

The only saving grace in my eyes atm is they have a lead developer from the old DAOC game, if they implment any of the rvr seige and such into this game for say guild vs guild of factions vs factions in a seige setting like DAOC with npc hiring henchmens on the wall mounts etc, I could definitly get into something like that. However, the basics of gameplay (from what we know) and the questing just seems like another generic MMO, it will take some innoviation from these guys to bring many to the fold. I hope this guy helps bring some good old combat into this game like that, If so, that might change many peoples opinions.

I wouldnt call that a saving grace. Matt Firor was the Lead Developer for the Trials of Atlantis expansion. Regarded as the expansion that began the downgrade of DAOC.

Also, DAOC wasnt that great of a game. If it hadnt been for the RvRvR it actually would have been quite lame.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/01/zenimax-devs-unapologetic-about-making-elder-scrolls-mmo/

"ZeniMax Online recently called in to the Game Informer podcast to talk up its Elder Scrolls Online title. Game director Matt Firor and creative director Paul Sage were the devs of record, and the 30-minute chat featured some interesting tidbits.

Firor mentions that the game will release simultaneously on PC and Mac, but ZeniMax has no plans for a console version. Sage talked a bit about the progression system, which, while level-based, does feature skill-based advancement as well. In the current build, characters gain experience in skills that are slotted. Sage also mentions that you do get better with weapons as you wield them, though the gain is not 100 percent usage-based.

There's also a bit of discussion about art style, camera modes, and the decision to MMOify the Elder Scrolls IP. "We're making an MMO, we're unapologetic about that. This is the Elder Scrolls MMO. It's not Skyrim, Skyrim already exists and you can go play Skyrim. We're making the MMO version of the Elder Scrolls, and with that comes some conventions that are different from a console RPG," Firor says."

Me: Oh no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no yes no no no

When they say "MMOify", they mean "WoWify". I think that says it all.

This game will probably crash worse then SWTOR.

Hype train -> Reality

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor

When they say "MMOify", they mean "WoWify". I think that says it all.

This game will probably crash worse then SWTOR.

"MMOify" sounds to me like the same Dev speak that SOE used to make SWG more "StarWarsy"

/inc NGE:TESO

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I interpreted their statement as a sort of bravado-driven one. I also do not feel it was appropriate given the current skepticism from the community. Whether they like it or not, Skyrim and Oblivion have garnered a lot of attention for the series and have established the expections of what an Elder Scrolls game is. Of course they cannot appease every player, but they must at least entertain some features that match with those expectations.

The Elder Scrolls fanbase is extremely skeptical of this endeavor and the last thing they should be doing is being unapologetic. Rather, they should be addressing the concerns and make every effort to remind players this will be a true Elder Scrolls game. It's in their best interest to do so. That being said, several of the videos the community has been given have made strides to doing this. My initial reaction to the game was negative - but the footage I have seen has turned that dismissive attitude into a wait-and-see attitude. 

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

When Skyrim came out there was a lot of talk about it on MMORPG, gamers were saying that Bathesda made a single player game that out MMO'd the MMO's that are currently out.

The consensus was, if they could take Skyrim (Or at least what was good about it) and make an MMO out of it, it would be a great MMO. Better than the stagnant games that are prevalent throughout the MMO-verse.

Now Zinimax is saying, We are not making a Skyrim MMO, we are going to make The Elder Scrolls Online, like the MMO's that currently out there. 

After the anger dies down, there is going to be a lot of head scratching, Why did ZiniMax take a game that people wanted to be made into an MMO, why did they take a game people were pointing to as, "That's how it is done" then take away what was good about the game and announce, we are going to make a generic MMO and we aren't going to apologizing about it.

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156

This dude is confident enough in his idea to sanbag the games features. I'm telling you watch out for this one.

Dedicated engine built from scratch, True RvRvR, Ability progression, whats next? 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

When Skyrim came out there was a lot of talk about it on MMORPG, gamers were saying that Bathesda made a single player game that out MMO'd the MMO's that are currently out.

The consensus was, if they could take Skyrim (Or at least what was good about it) and make an MMO out of it, it would be a great MMO. Better than the stagnant games that are prevalent throughout the MMO-verse.

Now Zinimax is saying, We are not making a Skyrim MMO, we are going to make The Elder Scrolls Online, like the MMO's that currently out there. 

After the anger dies down, there is going to be a lot of head scratching, Why did ZiniMax take a game that people wanted to be made into an MMO, why did they take a game people were pointing to as, "That's how it is done" then take away what was good about the game and announce, we are going to make a generic MMO and we aren't going to apologizing about it.

Because they started working on it so long ago.  Same issue TOR had.  Times change and people are tired of that model but it's too late to change anything now.

Originally posted by letsxhat

This dude is confident enough in his idea to sanbag the games features. I'm telling you watch out for this one.

Dedicated engine built from scratch, True RvRvR, Ability progression, whats next? 

My question would be; why call it The Elder Scrolls, if the all features that make it Elder Scrolls have been sandbagged.

Originally posted by Alders

Because they started working on it so long ago.  Same issue TOR had.  Times change and people are tired of that model but it's too late to change anything now.

I guess my problem is, they say, "we are Making an MMO," as if MMO and WoW clone are synonimous. The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 were in development for a long time and they seemed to say, how can we make our MMO different. while, ZeniMax seems to have said, how can we make our game, the same.

I hate to steal a line from a seriously cheesy movie but Zenimax "Why are you trying so hard to fit in, when you so clearly stand out."

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

My question would be; why call it The Elder Scrolls, if the all features that make it Elder Scrolls have been sandbagged.

Why shouldn't they use their own IP and lore.  Why should they have to invent a whole new mythos?  It took a lot of work, time, and money to create what they have so far.  It's a good lore and a good story.  They should stick with it.  If anything, it would be a shame if they confined themselves to the same old thing over and over again.

An Elder Scrolls MMO doesn't mean they can't make another single player game.  It also doesn't mean they should only have to make the same single player game again.

^ /thread.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Why shouldn't they use their own IP and lore.  Why should they have to invent a whole new mythos?  It took a lot of work, time, and money to create what they have so far.  It's a good lore and a good story.  They should stick with it.  If anything, it would be a shame if they confined themselves to the same old thing over and over again.

An Elder Scrolls MMO doesn't mean they can't make another single player game.  It also doesn't mean they should only have to make the same single player game again.

^ /thread.

But the purpose of using an existing IP is so your MMO has a predisposed fan base at its release. If you use the Elder Scrolls IP but then anger the fan base by Sandbagging what they love about the Elder Scrolls, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

They don't need to apologize to me. I'm not buying the game.

Joined - July 2004

^ /thread.

But the purpose of using an existing IP is so your MMO has a predisposed fan base at its release. If you use the Elder Scrolls IP but then anger the fan base by Sandbagging what they love about the Elder Scrolls, doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Sandbag as in slow rolling, or holding out on features. Down playing what the game does have. "Yeah were just making your typical mmorpg." As information comes out this game looks anything but typical.

^ /thread.

Sandbag as in slow rolling, or holding out on features. 

Sandbag as in; that is a quote from letsxhat

Sandbagging
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sandbagging, hiding the strength, skill or difficulty of something or someone early in an engagement,

I would like to take credit but alas I can not ;)
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Few people cared about the lore, or the name, or the setting.  Such things are pretty generic when it comes to medieval fantasy.

What I think people liked about elder scrolls was how you lived in it.  How you could run from one end to the other, how you could explore.  I don't think the combat was without it's flaws, but to exist in real time, without odd cooldowns and castbars is distinctive and integral to the immersive nature of the franchise.

If they want to defend the game, counter the criticisms, clarify how the game won't be a WoW clone, then they should do that.  The fact that they've been given many opportunities to do so and instead have just said how they are fine with ticking people off indicates that it will be just that: a sad WoW clone exploiting the elder scrolls popularity.

Sandbagging
    Look up sandbagging in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
    Sandbagging, hiding the strength, skill or difficulty of something or someone early in an engagement,

sandbagging 437 up70 down

When a player in any game chooses (on purpose) to not play their best. Normally this is because they are too superior, they want to hustle you, or they are too lazy to play their best with nothing on the line.
    The Elder Scrolls single player game is a superior game. And they are Sandbagging it. They are choosing not to play their best. They just want to hustle us by giving us something with "Elder Scrolls" name on it, but not put forth  the effort it would take to actualy make an Elder Scrolls game the right way.

Sandbagging
    Look up sandbagging in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

sandbagging 437 up70 down

When a player in any game chooses (on purpose) to not play their best. Normally this is because they are too superior, they want to hustle you, or they are too lazy to play their best with nothing on the line.
    The Elder Scrolls single player game is a superior game. And they are Sandbagging it. They are choosing not to play their best. They just want to hustle us by giving us something with "Elder Scrolls" name on it, but not put forth  the effort it would take to actualy make an Elder Scrolls game the right way.

It's amazing how to people could read the samething completely different. I look at it as they are no where near any type of launch probably a year or more out, why the heck would they spill the beans now? If you have the "nuts" slow play your hand .

I played Oblivian. I adored that game, however the comabt was unremarkable to me. The freedom is what I liked. go,  do, be who you want. 

When I first heard about the release, I too was like "wtf I can't be a vampire?! Standard mmo and using the hero engine?!" As info comes out somethings have interested me. I'm a pvpr (former hardcore raider) True massive RvRvR, and ability progression seem pretty cool. All set in a wide open world.