Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: To Be Unveiled as SOE Title at E3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that it will be revealing new information about Wizardry Online, indicating that it has taken over development and publication of the highly anticipated title.

Hands-on demo with the new free-to-play MMO based on the classic Wizardry computer games. Produced by Gamepot, this latest game features countless traps and fiendish monsters that will hinder players' adventures as they cross the most difficult dungeons ever seen. Wizardry Online retains the characteristic elements of the original Wizardry and merges them with modern MMORPG functions.

Source: Email Press Release

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Intresting

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

I have been following what I can about Wizardry Online for a while now.  It will have maze like dungeons, open pvp, and permadeath.  Sounds f*ing sweet, I can't wait!

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by BigHatLogan

I have been following what I can about Wizardry Online for a while now.  It will have maze like dungeons, open pvp, and permadeath.  Sounds f*ing sweet, I can't wait!

its SOE they will probably find someway to patch those out lol.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Interesting.

Sucks that Sony is doing it, but EQ 1 suprisingly took off few months ago. Which was werid. Mabye they found something...

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

Originally posted by Ecoces

its SOE they will probably find someway to patch those out lol.

Nah, SOE is willing to take risks I think, and appealing to the hardcore is the main thing that wizardry has going for it.   The Japanese are the only people making challenging games on a large scale anymore anyway. 

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Wizardy Vs Elder Scrolls round II

Let's internet

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156

Fun times we are playing in. So many games.

Originally posted by ForumPvP

I don't get it.  They aren't even remotely similar and aren't made for the same types of player.  Elder Scroll games are about exploring a massive world and doing what you feel like doing.  Wizardry games are about exploring a horrible maze and trying not to get killed at every turn. 

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

I don't get it.  They aren't even remotely similar and aren't made for the same types of player.  Elder Scroll games are about exploring a massive world and doing what you feel like doing.  Wizardry games are about exploring a horrible maze and trying not to get killed at every turn. 

You should try Wizardy 8 ,its still really good "open world" RPG.

Anyways, what i mean is , back in the day when  Bethesha used to do some sports games and how Peterson and Lakshman was not  taken seriously about their new RPG project  by  Sir-Tech guys and many others.

Everybody knows how that ended but now its like in the old days,again,which is nice.

Let's internet

You should try Wizardy 8 ,its still really good "open world" RPG.

or

ES Arena which is a maze.

Anyways, what i mean is , back in the day when  Bethesha used to do some sports games and how Peterson and Lakshman was not  taken seriously about their new RPG project  by  Sir-Tech guys and many others.

Everybody knows how that ended but now its like in the old days,again,which is nice.

looks cool.  I put probably 200 hours into Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge.  Now that was an amazing and challenging game for it's time.  I never played 8 though. 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

heart sank when I saw SOE's name

so much for this game

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

8 is such a great game.

looking forward to hearing more about this one.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

from last years E3

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-first-look-at-wizardry-online/

On top of including permadeath and player killing, Okada's team made the conscious decision not to hold players' hands as they explored dungeons. By removing the minimap and giving players no explicit directions, he aims to encourage explorers to learn to examine their surroundings and actually look at the dungeons they're traversing.

"In Wizardry Online, the goal is to have adventure," he stated. "The players never know what's waiting for them when they turn the next corner."

The look of the game -- with its dark and Gothic European vibe -- reflects the realistic slant for which the devs are aiming.

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Originally posted by letsxhat

Fun times we are playing in. So many games.

Indeed but that in itself waters down the number of active players per title :-( Is anyone title still have stellar # of active players, MMO at least (i.e. discounting Diablo III)?

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

sony sucks when it comes to f2p by sucks i mean they lie  none of there f2p games are free to play they are extended trials 

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by Asamof

heart sank when I saw SOE's name

so much for this game

ditto

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I was following this game a bit, and talking ot the developer on facebook, but after a tech show with a superbad backdrop he stopped posting. I hope that they retain the permadeath that is in the Japanese version.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

meh...not sure if want

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

as my first RPG ever, I must support every title with Wizardry involved in it.  We owe the entire RPG and MMO gaming world to this icon imo.  Wizardry, Bards Tale and Ultima set the industry on the move

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Even SOE recognizes you can't do permadeath in a MMO with current state of internet connections, so if you were counting on that feature you can forget it.

As to a MMO world strictly of dungeons, that would get very old fast.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Even SOE recognizes you can't do permadeath in a MMO with current state of internet connections, so if you were counting on that feature you can forget it.

There are several games that do permadeath. You obviously hav eno idea hwo the system works either. You travel back to your body in the spirit realm. If you make it back to your body in time you recover, but you can only do this so many times. I will lay it I played Diablo 2 on Hardcore for years with Dial up so don't tell me that perma death isn't popular because you were still squirting in your shorts the last time a major game featured it. I'm pretty sure there are tons of D3 hardcore players as well so please tell me more about how no one likes perma death.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

as my first RPG ever, I must support every title with Wizardry involved in it.  We owe the entire RPG and MMO gaming world to this icon imo.  Wizardry, Bards Tale and Ultima set the industry on the move

on ultima case before EA put his hands on it, and wizardry 8 they sure could make the combat faster, other then that all is nice :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Well if either one is anywhere near as good as the single player games were, then I'll be playing both...... Wizardry 8, Daggerfall, and SKyrim are probably 3 of the best PC games of all time.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

The fastest selling PC game ever that was released last month disagrees.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

game site

http://www.gamepot.co.jp/wiz_en/

regarding permadeath, this was said at last years E3

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-first-look-at-wizardry-online/

the Headlock devs are blunt about your chances: "Wizardry is a very difficult game and delights in killing the player. MMOs today coddle the player, but we're taking a different route. That said, this is a fair game that rewards the strategic and skillful player."

But just how hardcore is Wizardry Online? One word sums it up: permadeath. "When you die, you become a ghost and have a chance to get your body back," the rep said. "But if you should fail, you'll lose your body forever."