Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the AH bad for the game?

Comments

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by dead2soon

I think once the RMAH goes live cash will be the intermediary currency. Sure the best items will only be on the RMAH but you will also sell your best items there too. It all sounds a little scary to me.

That is what Blizzard is banking on. No pun intended. They will be laughing all the way to the bank with this.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I think it's fine, I'd rather have the AH than be without it since I only care about hell and inferno difficulties. I like to trade in AH, I buy and I sell, it's part of the gameplay for me, and I'm very used to it since I play (used to play at least) a lot of mmorpgs.

A big reason why I like this system is that I get to build my gear now, instead of getting lucky. I build very specific gear sets for my chars and I really love the AH feature where I can set search parameters for what the gear should have. I hate some of the visual effects on certain damage types and love others, with AH I can use the ones I like and skip the ones I dont. Certain builds also needs certain stuff, others need +crit and others need something else, it would be impossible to support these builds with the right gear if there was no AH.

Though, if it would be very important for me to get awesome drops rather than playing the AH then the game would suck, the drops are so random that I barely even take a good look at them, so if you are a player looking for actually get stuff your self on the battlefield, you might want to skip this game since it happens very rarely.

Originally posted by Kuinn

I think it's fine, I'd rather have the AH than be without it since I only care about hell and inferno difficulties. I like to trade in AH, I buy and I sell, it's part of the gameplay for me, and I'm very used to it since I play (used to play at least) a lot of mmorpgs.

A big reason why I like this system is that I get to build my gear now, instead of getting lucky. I build very specific gear sets for my chars and I really love the AH feature where I can set search parameters for what the gear should have. I hate some of the visual effects on certain damage types and love others, with AH I can use the ones I like and skip the ones I dont. Certain builds also needs certain stuff, others need +crit and others need something else, it would be impossible to support these builds with the right gear if there was no AH.

Though, if it would be very important for me to get awesome drops rather than playing the AH then the game would suck, the drops are so random that I barely even take a good look at them, so if you are a player looking for actually get stuff your self on the battlefield, you might want to skip this game since it happens very rarely.

What happens when the RMAH releases though? Are you going to pour your money into this game to be able to progress through inferno? Is it worth it?

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

biggest issue i have with AH is that gear you farm until act 3 inferno sells for crap in the AH. its pretty bad, gear you find in act 1 inferno is like worth less than 200k while act 2 and above suddenly its worth millions. theres gotta be some way for lower level players to find items that can sometimes be worth something to higher level players (like rare commodity items or whatever).

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

The only thing I fear is that everyone will be selling for money, rather than ingame gold, thus making items scarce in that department.

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

What happens when the RMAH releases though? Are you going to pour your money into this game to be able to progress through inferno? Is it worth it?

Why would I need to? Hundreds of people are playing inferno and there is no RMAH yet. Why wouldn't I do what they did?Play the game.  

They bought their good items on the gold AH. You know how many good items are going to be on the Gold AH when RMAH comes around? You guessed it, 0. 

Why would I need to? Hundreds of people are playing inferno and there is no RMAH yet. Why wouldn't I do what they did?Play the game.  

They bought their good items on the gold AH. You know how many good items are going to be on the Gold AH when RMAH comes around? You guessed it, 0. 

No they didn't. Until you reach inferno you don't get that gear. The first people in inferno  ground it out because there wasn't any gear that level on the gold auction house. Many people still don't buy things on the AH. IT's inferno. Man up you don't have to buy victory.

The items that drop in Inferno are rarely useful. Blizzard themselves have stated they've lowered drop rates / stat rolls to encourage people using the AH.  So yea, the first people in Inferno used Bugged combos (4 monks, Wiz, etc) to get through it. Now that those combos are nerfed, the AH is the only way left.     How you doin in Inferno btw? How much of your gear is from the AH? Thought so.

No they didn't. Until you reach inferno you don't get that gear. The first people in inferno  ground it out because there wasn't any gear that level on the gold auction house. Many people still don't buy things on the AH. IT's inferno. Man up you don't have to buy victory.

The items that drop in Inferno are rarely useful. Blizzard themselves have stated they've lowered drop rates / stat rolls to encourage people using the AH.  So yea, the first people in Inferno used Bugged combos (4 monks, Wiz, etc) to get through it. Now that those combos are nerfed, the AH is the only way left.     How you doin in Inferno btw? How much of your gear is from the AH? Thought so.

So you're complaining it's just too hard for you. Guess what most people never finished Diablo 1 or 2 in nightmare mode. I don't use the AH. I'll be ready for inferno when I get to it. I don't play games 16 hours a day. Either that or I won't complain because I'm just not good enough to do what others have done before me. Suck it up and soldier on.

Haha so you aren't even at Inferno yet? No wonder you have no idea what you are talking about. Go from Act 1 Inferno to act 2, and then you can join the big boy conversation.

So you're complaining it's just too hard for you. Guess what most people never finished Diablo 1 or 2 in nightmare mode. I don't use the AH. I'll be ready for inferno when I get to it. I don't play games 16 hours a day. Either that or I won't complain because I'm just not good enough to do what others have done before me. Suck it up and soldier on.

Haha so you aren't even at Inferno yet? No wonder you have no idea what you are talking about. Go from Act 1 Inferno to act 2, and then you can join the big boy conversation.

Why would I need to have been in inferno to know what it is? You can watch people do it live 24/7. You just don't have a leg to stand on so you're resorting to ad hominems.  Toughen up mate you can do it.

So watching people that have bought gear from the AH / used bugged abilties to get through it is the same as playing through it on your own without the AH? Yea, makes complete sense.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

I haven't used the auction house to buy or sell anything yet.  Just started Inferno difficulty now so we'll see if I can keep that streak up.  The other infamous streak I am on is, unfortunately, I have not yet found a SINGLE legendary item through all of Normal, Nightmare, and Hell.  But I guess the 4th try (Inferno) will be the charm!  They should have an achievement for completing the game without ever finding a legendary item...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Why would I need to have been in inferno to know what it is? You can watch people do it live 24/7. You just don't have a leg to stand on so you're resorting to ad hominems.  Toughen up mate you can do it.

So watching people that have bought gear from the AH / used bugged abilties to get through it is the same as playing through it on your own without the AH? Yea, makes complete sense.

Not at all. If you watch them they'll show you what they're using. Still doesn't change the fact you think the game is just too hard for you to finish. Maybe it is. That doesn't mean they should, or will change it. Maybe I can't do it either. That doesn't mean I won't try. The faint heart never won the fair lady.

The game itself was TUNED around buying/selling on the Auction House. Blizzard's words, not mine.

• davinci179davinci179 Member Posts: 13

While I agree that AH can cheapen the game experience for alot of us out there who prefer the excitment and experience of being reward for killing a boss or hacking and slashing their way through a dungeon I do feel that the AH is fine in the game because it is totally up to us to whether or not we use it or not. That is what I do not understand with the constent complaints over the AH and RMAH its all up to us to use it or not. People think because it is in there they are required to use it. I am sure its tempting to scourer the AH and if you see some nice stuff to get it for your character, but its totally up to us to purchase it or not.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Im still not far enough into the game to tell wether it will be good or not. Im sure folks with more experience have made their minds about it. A gut feeling says it won't be that great for the game though.....

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Whats bad for the game is all my friends getting hacked and rage quitting.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

The game itself was TUNED around buying/selling on the Auction House. Blizzard's words, not mine.

What's your point? That because it's "tuned" you can't play without it? Horsefeathers.

The point of the discussion is not that the AH makes the game unplayable, but the fact that drops are tuned towards getting people to use the AH, but that the AH makes the game less fun to play. When all my drops are either 10 levels below me or have completely useless stats, essentially making drops useful only for selling to make gold to use the AH, the game is less fun to play than if I could have some reasonable expectation that drops within the game might be valuable to me.

Originally posted by Paradigm68

What's your point? That because it's "tuned" you can't play without it? Horsefeathers.

The point of the discussion is not that the AH makes the game unplayable, but the fact that drops are tuned towards getting people to use the AH, but that the AH makes the game less fun to play. When all my drops are either 10 levels below me or have completely useless stats, essentially making drops useful only for selling to make gold to use the AH, the game is less fun to play than if I could have some reasonable expectation that drops within the game might be valuable to me.

All of the drops aren't  Most of the drops in diablo will always be trash. It's a game of farming. If you don't like farming it's not going to be enjoyable. You don't need the best gear to beat the game. If they change the drop rates or dumb down the game it's going to make it less fun for the rest of us. The truth is they're not much different than they were in diablo 2. I respect your well stated opinion I just completely disagree with it. If there were no auction house  the game should be no different than it is.

Except it's not our opinion you are arguin with, its facts stated by the game developers / producers.

All of the drops aren't  Most of the drops in diablo will always be trash. It's a game of farming. If you don't like farming it's not going to be enjoyable. You don't need the best gear to beat the game. If they change the drop rates or dumb down the game it's going to make it less fun for the rest of us. The truth is they're not much different than they were in diablo 2. I respect your well stated opinion I just completely disagree with it. If there were no auction house  the game should be no different than it is.

Except it's not our opinion you are arguin with, its facts stated by the game developers / producers.

Pretty sure the developers never said you can't play the game without using the auction house. Quite the opposite in fact. Auction houses have always existed for Diablo. They just weren't very safe places to go. People have always traded gear in Diablo it just wasn't this easy. You're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill and there just isn't that much material. You think they should increase drops. I don't. The rest is just words in the wind. You can't always get what you want but if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need. No auction house required.

Except I've never said you can't play the game like this. This thread is about the AH being good or bad for Diablo.   In my opinion, it's bad, and I've stated the reason why. The items from Inferno Act 1 will not help you get to Inferno Act 2 99% of the time. If you want to farm that 1 percent by doing act 1 inferno 10,000 times, then have at it. You are truly the better man because you like to repeat shallow content thousands of times.

Pretty sure the developers never said you can't play the game without using the auction house. Quite the opposite in fact. Auction houses have always existed for Diablo. They just weren't very safe places to go. People have always traded gear in Diablo it just wasn't this easy. You're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill and there just isn't that much material. You think they should increase drops. I don't. The rest is just words in the wind. You can't always get what you want but if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need. No auction house required.

Except I've never said you can't play the game like this. This thread is about the AH being good or bad for Diablo.   In my opinion, it's bad, and I've stated the reason why. The items from Inferno Act 1 will not help you get to Inferno Act 2 99% of the time. If you want to farm that 1 percent by doing act 1 inferno 10,000 times, then have at it. You are truly the better man because you like to repeat shallow content thousands of times.

256% of all internet statistics are made up, as are yours. It's simply not true. I know enough people who have finished it to know it's not true. The game is what it is. Making it easier won't make it better it will cause the game to be discarded faster. There have always been auction houses and RMT for Diablo. To argue adding a safer version of what has always been there will somehow change it for the worse is absurd.

Well like I said, we agree to disagree. Some people like Blizzards garbage, others don't.   You are just as entitled to your opinion as I am mine.   As I've said, I don't think AH is a good idea for Diablo, especially an RMAH. That's my opinion. It will play out how it plays out, I look forward to hearing your blind optimism after you put more than 45 minutes into the game.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Yes, I expect the trash drops to be trash and I expect them to be the majority of the drops. But when the good drops are trash too with worthless stats, or 10 levels below mine and I know that Blizzard has tuned the good drops to be worthless to me in order to goad me into using the AH, that takes fun out of the game. Knowing with a great certainty that I'm likely to not find anything good while adventuring because Blizz wants me to use the AH is less fun than finding great gear as a result of adventuring.

If there were no auction house then the game would be different because part of the focus of the game wouldn't be directing me outside the game. The drops would be tuned towards players getting their gear from drops.

Yes, I expect the trash drops to be trash and I expect them to be the majority of the drops. But when the good drops are trash too with worthless stats, or 10 levels below mine and I know that Blizzard has tuned the good drops to be worthless to me in order to goad me into using the AH, that takes fun out of the game. Knowing with a great certainty that I'm likely to not find anything good while adventuring because Blizz wants me to use the AH is less fun than finding great gear as a result of adventuring.

If there were no auction house then the game would be different because part of the focus of the game wouldn't be directing me outside the game. The drops would be tuned towards players getting their gear from drops.

Clearly that's not true. Everything item in the game comes from adventuring. There are level appropriate drops in every stage of the game. In many cases I've come across items I could not use because the level requirement was too high.  If there were not no one could progress. If the drops are all ten levels below you then you have outleveled the content.

And thats why Inferno drops lvl 52-54 items, when you can't enter until level 60? Once again, you know nothing about this game because you've played for 10 minutes total.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Anyway, I feel like one of the huge drivers behind Diablo games is the random loot system.  Finding an awesome item should be one of the main drivers of the game, but the AH kind of takes that away, and I think that is to the detriment of the game.

Thoughts?

I completely agree Creslin. I don't see the AH doing much in terms of getting Blizzard additional money, but it is damned effective in essentially making loot drops almost irrelevant.

More often than not, when something drops, it becomes a decision between salvaging it (for the blacksmithing items), wearing it (if it's clearly better than what I have), or most often just vendoring them for the gold. It's not only insanely easy to make money in this game, but as you say, it's insanely cheap to buy good gear on the AH.

Some of the 'best' gear is crazy expensive (in the millions), but the game just doesn't require players to spend that much money to be effective.

As much as I love having an AH to easily compensate for my lack of gear, I do think Blizzard kind of shot themselves in the foot w/ it a bit. Their entire reasoning for implementing such a feature (or so they say) was to both battle the hacking / duping issues D2 had, and to generate additional revenue for Blizzard. So far it's doing neither. What seems to be going on atm, is a giant game of wack-a-mole on Blizzard's end, where they are desperately trying to nerf various aspects of the game, as people continue to find easy ways to farm the game for loot / gold.

Even though I am having more fun w/ the game than I expected (I thought it was going to suck, but my friends got me to play it w/ them), it's still not very well thought out. I'm consistantly underwhelmed by the drops I find off of elites / boss mobs, even with 100+% mf gear. I hope they find a balance with that, because in D2 I would actually get excited about the drops. In D3, it's basically almost all fancy vendor trash.

Clearly that's not true. Everything item in the game comes from adventuring. There are level appropriate drops in every stage of the game. In many cases I've come across items I could not use because the level requirement was too high.  If there were not no one could progress. If the drops are all ten levels below you then you have outleveled the content.

And thats why Inferno drops lvl 52-54 items, when you can't enter until level 60? Once again, you know nothing about this game because you've played for 10 minutes total.

Nightmare drops cracked vambraces. That's not the only thing it drops though. There is gear dropped in Nightmare that will take you well into inferno. We've all seen the video. You're just falling back on ad hominems. Admit the truth. You think it's too hard for you and you want it made easier. That's all this is.

Well I have actually played in Inferno, and you haven't. That's all this is.

Nightmare drops cracked vambraces. That's not the only thing it drops though. There is gear dropped in Nightmare that will take you well into inferno. We've all seen the video. You're just falling back on ad hominems. Admit the truth. You think it's too hard for you and you want it made easier. That's all this is.

And you didn't think it was too hard. You just want it made easier for the "good of the game"

Not buying it for a moment. They need to do some balancing but that's about it.

Getting one shot isn't difficult gameplay. There IS a gear requirement for inferno Act 2 whether  you want to believe it or not.  And right now, gearing up through Act 1 isn't the answer. The answer is going to the AH.

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

And you didn't think it was too hard. You just want it made easier for the "good of the game"

Getting one shot isn't difficult gameplay. There IS a gear requirement for inferno Act 2 whether  you want to believe it or not.  And right now, gearing up through Act 1 isn't the answer. The answer is going to the AH.

I just got to Act 1 Inferno (almost half way through Act 1 now) so can't comment on Act 2 I hear its tough.  But I will say that up to this point at least I did not use the AH and have not really had any problems whatsoever.  Only a few elite mobs are tough (I seem to have trouble with the fast bomb throwers) and Belial was a bit of a pain in the ass back in Act 2, but I got past Diablo in Hell mode on my first try.

In fact I still have a couple rare items that are only in the level 45ish range but totally kick ass that I've used for a long long time now.  In act 1 Inferno I am getting drops up to level 59 so far although many are lower than that.  Haven't gotten anything really spectacular yet but if its anything like the previous 3 difficulties if you aren't getting good loot it is just bad luck on the RNG as good loot is definately rare but when it appears it can last for a long time.  I would bet the RNG will kick me out some good gear in Act 1.

Still have never found a legendary item though...

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

I just got to Act 1 Inferno (almost half way through Act 1 now) so can't comment on Act 2 I hear its tough.  But I will say that up to this point at least I did not use the AH and have not really had any problems whatsoever.  Only a few elite mobs are tough (I seem to have trouble with the fast bomb throwers) and Belial was a bit of a pain in the ass back in Act 2, but I got past Diablo in Hell mode on my first try.

In fact I still have a couple rare items that are only in the level 45ish range but totally kick ass that I've used for a long long time now.  In act 1 Inferno I am getting drops up to level 59 so far although many are lower than that.  Haven't gotten anything really spectacular yet but if its anything like the previous 3 difficulties if you aren't getting good loot it is just bad luck on the RNG as good loot is definately rare but when it appears it can last for a long time.  I would bet the RNG will kick me out some good gear in Act 1.

Still have never found a legendary item though...

The big step up comes in act 2 Inferno. It will surprise you, I guarantee it.