Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO the game of Can't and Impossible

LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

After reading through all the articles from the developers of TESO, instead of the normal whats included and what we know will be in the MMO, we are bombarded by information of what they can't do instead and what will not be in the game.

Therefore I think someone ( who is more internet savy than I ) should make a sticky of whats impossible in TESO, and what can't be included in TESO. Because it seems to be the only thing they are willing to talk about.

I just can't believe that TESO might be the first unhype MMO made possible by the developers.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Comments

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I think they half-expected everyone to jump on board the hype train from day 1 and when there was some very vocal unhappy TES gamers after the big reveal they went into "lets lower expectations" and have stayed there since.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I think they half-expected everyone to jump on board the hype train from day 1 and when there was some very vocal unhappy TES gamers after the big reveal they went into "lets lower expectations" and have stayed there since.

Mission Accomplished!

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I believe you are right.

Zenimax Then:

Hey, with the success of Skyrim we want to announce our Elder Scrolls Online game.

It will be much like the mainstream standard games youve come to love like WoW and SWTOR.

We are even using the Hero Engine!

Zenimax Now:

Well we cant follow The Elder Scrolls games like Skyrim and Oblivion exactly as the mechanics of those games are too hard to translate to a MMO.

We are limited in our ability to make the game look like an Elder Scrolls game.

We arent really using the Hero Engine for the game. Its just a whiteboard. We have an in-house created engine specifiaclly designed for TESO.

We can't do the punitive gameplay that they did in the days of EQ and older games

Cant do Free Targeting, must do TAB. Cant do First Person view. Cant do housing. Cant do Skill based instead of Class based. Cant choose Faction independant of Race.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Some people are surprised by the backlash against The Elder Scrolls online. But I can pinpoint when the change in the MMO world came. It came with Alganon Online. A subsription game (When it came out) that was a WoW Clone. That isn't to say Alganon is a bad game, It is just saying that, that was the point gamers said. Stop giving us the same old same old and charging us a subscription.

Basically the Dev's that are making the Elder Scrolls Online are really just making another Alganon.  Let's make a game and give people the same old same old. We can't be original, we can't do anything different. We are going to give you WoW set in the Elderscrolls Universe and charge you a subscription. Great, that'll go over well. Just ask the guys over at Alganon how that will be received.

There has been a trend lately of releasing "classic" MMORPGs; games that veterans would recognize as similar to MMO classics such as EverQuest, Dark Age of Camelot, and World of Warcraft. When it met the press, Alganon was introduced as a game that would grow and develop alongside its players, a game that offered both "innovative" elements and the things that everyone loved about other MMOs.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

ive said it before and ill say it again. if they announced a Lord of the Rings TV show that was going to be a Sitcom, is it still really Lord of the Rings?

The answer is no.

If TESO is anything but an open class, free form non locked into story progression game with free form aim based combat with a massive spell learning and crafting systems....it is not TES...and if it isnt TES, dont call it TES.

By doing so they are telling me they are not capable of original thought and thus shouldnt be making a story based game in the first place.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Or you could just stay tuned to their website until they release something that you can complain about. Right now its all just talk and marketing so not sure how anyone can get their panties so far up in...

You know all of you are going to be buying and playing it anyway, you all wasted so much time talking about it its obvious your all obsessed with it.

This is all we got so far

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/elderscrollsonline.aspx 

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Lucioon

I just can't believe that TESO might be the first unhype MMO made possible by the developers.

I felt the same way. It's like they are down playing the game. Like it's too early for hype.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Fearum

You know all of you are going to be buying and playing it anyway,

Spoken like someone with no willpower at all. Kinda sad really.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

If they can't make an Elder Scrolls MMO then they should kill it and come back when they can. 

This "technology isn't ready" line is a bunch of crap. Outsource it to Adventurine.

No good will come to the franchise by making a half-assed attempt and throwing an Elder Scrolls sticker on it.

You know all of you are going to be buying and playing it anyway

I love you're quote Fearum, they should put that on the box when it is release.

"We phoned it in and gave you the same old same old, but hey;  you know all of you are going to be buying and playing it anyway."

That quote works perfectly.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Could cry about it, maybe they could make the game more like you want it.

Poor Fear, he just doesnt get it.  Nice baby pic though, handsome lad.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

No I get it, I see where all the complaints are coming from and can agree to a point but... I'm looking forward to what they are selling so far, not because of the title as some of you think, but because it sounds like something that is not out now that I would enjoy playing. I'm not into anime games and TESO is not anime art. GW2 is very cartoonish but the game play makes up for it enough for me to over look it.  I liked it better then Tera which was too over the top and I couldnt get into the art or char models because the game play is not for me.

I never played any of the TES series and could care less if this is a true ES game. Its not, its a spin off of it, they tell you that so nobody is expecting that from the start. IF it was a straight money grab they could have not been so honest as they seem to be trying so far, also they hired some people with pretty good track records so I have some confidence in them. If many people buy the game expecting it to play like a single player TES game, its their own fault for not looking into what they are buying. 

This is a different game like when world of warcraft went to a mmo, I'm sure they got alot of shit from the og warcraft purist's when they took that leap but it was the best thing that happend to Bliz. 

Who knows how the game is going finally be, it might be the best thing for them or it could flop. I just like to mess with you guys because your doing the same thing but on the other side, I like to bet on the underdog, not they are an underdog by any means with the TES name attached. haha.

Have fun.

No I get it, I see where all the complaints are coming from and can agree to a point but... I'm looking forward to what they are selling so far, not because of the title as some of you think, but because it sounds like something that is not out now that I would enjoy playing. I'm not into anime games and TESO is not anime art. GW2 is very cartoonish but the game play makes up for it enough for me to over look it.  I liked it better then Tera which was too over the top and I couldnt get into the art or char models because the game play is not for me.

I never played any of the TES series and could care less if this is a true ES game. Its not, its a spin off of it, they tell you that so nobody is expecting that from the start. IF it was a straight money grab they could have not been so honest as they seem to be trying so far, also they hired some people with pretty good track records so I have some confidence in them. If many people buy the game expecting it to play like a single player TES game, its their own fault for not looking into what they are buying. 

This is a different game like when world of warcraft went to a mmo, I'm sure they got alot of shit from the og warcraft purist's when they took that leap but it was the best thing that happend to Bliz. 

Who knows how the game is going finally be, it might be the best thing for them or it could flop. I just like to mess with you guys because your doing the same thing but on the other side, I like to bet on the underdog, not they are an underdog by any means with the TES name attached. haha.

Have fun.

I am glad you like to bet on the underdog and on these forums, judging from the reaction to the announcement of the TESO they are the under dog.

However The Elder Scrolls is one of the biggest names in the gaming community and the makers of the new Elder Scrolls Online game have decided to Phone it in and give us a half assed game.

I do understand how someone who never played the Elder Scrolls games might not care what they are doing. So let me put it this way. They are NGE'ing the Elder scrolls. They are taking something millions of people love, taking away the good parts and then giving us back something we don't want. And their excuse? that's the way everyone else is doing it so we are just going to copy them.

Really, that's their excuse for NGE'ing the elder Scrolls franchise. Doing it right would just be too hard.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Have fun.

I am glad you like to bet on the underdog and on these forums, judging from the reaction to the announcement of the TESO they are the under dog.

However The Elder Scrolls is one of the biggest names in the gaming community and the makers of the new Elder Scrolls Online game have decided to Phone it in and give us a half assed game.

I do understand how someone who never played the Elder Scrolls games might not care what they are doing. So let me put it this way. They are NGE'ing the Elder scrolls. They are taking something millions of people love, taking away the good parts and then giving us back something we don't want. And their excuse? that's the way everyone else is doing it so we are just going to copy them.

Really, that's their excuse for NGE'ing the elder Scrolls franchise. Doing it right would just be too hard.

Wow you are so right.

Zenimax is taking the Elder Scrolls and giving it a "New Game Experience"

Oh... I just threw up in my mouth a little

I just realized something Zenimax CAN do. FUBAR the Elder Scrolls

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Hmm.

Well, I must admit. I was happy to hear about the three faction PvP. Having watched the various press releases over the week or two since I gotta tell you the first thing that comes to mind when I hear TESO "Another generic fantasy themepark mmo". Sure, it has the ES skin. But the day to day play sounds just like every other themepark WoW ancertored mmo to release in the last few years.

If that's what they think the majority players want...well, they are wrong. It's their IP, though, so if they want to flush it, by all means go right ahead.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

The thing is, they'll make an MMO, people will play it, they'll have a revenue out of it, market will say they were right seeing people will give money to play this MMO.

In the end , nothing is gonna change this result. 

Probably most of the ones that like the single player TES might not play it, seeing is, after all, a totally different game, and will just wait for the next single player about TES. Some will just enjoy both.

Zenimax will gain so from the MMOers that will go to the "new" MMO and continue to get money from the ones that like the single player.

Win win situation for them.

On a personal note, no i will not go to play this, i like TES single player, and honeslty i don't even think there is a way to make an MMO with TES singleplayer  feats, at best could be done diablo style with 4 players togheter.                                                Maybe if technology continue to advance will allow MMOs to have player really make an impcat on the gameworld, but i don't think is there yet.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by elvenwolf

The thing is, they'll make an MMO, people will play it, they'll have a revenue out of it, market will say they were right seeing people will give money to play this MMO.

In the end , nothing is gonna change this result. 

Probably most of the ones that like the single player TES might not play it, seeing is, after all, a totally different game, and will just wait for the next single player about TES. Some will just enjoy both.

Zenimax will gain so from the MMOers that will go to the "new" MMO and continue to get money from the ones that like the single player.

Win win situation for them.

On a personal note, no i will not go to play this, i like TES single player, and honeslty i don't even think there is a way to make an MMO with TES singleplayer  feats, at best could be done diablo style with 4 players togheter.                                                Maybe if technology continue to advance will allow MMOs to have player really make an impcat on the gameworld, but i don't think is there yet.

The thing is they don't even have to make it photorealistic. I think My biggest complaint is the classes and faction lock based on race.

I like the way they have planned for the combat based on finess of combat, with the exception of not adding an Dodge key( i think is gonna be a stable for MMO in the future).

Overall, what they have stated is just not an TES game.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

The gameplay/emmersion has be to as good, if not better, than Skyrim.

If they cannot pull that off, why even attempt it, because the game will fail.

Skyrim set a high bar for these guys.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Zenimax  need to go play Darkfall online, that's shows a basic framework of how to go about an elders scroll MMO as that's the direction an Elders scrolls MMO should go. Huge seamless world, where players can build their communties with real time actions combat know in Elder scroll games.

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

Zenimax  need to go play Darkfall online, that's shows a basic framework of how to go about an elders scroll game, as that's what Elders scrolls should be, a Darkfall,but one done with more polish, but darkfall shows it can't be done. Darkfall has that element of Elders scrolls to it and you can easily see it working as a elders scroll game.

I love Elder Scrolls Games Allot but I dunno if a MMO will work becouse is going to be incredible hard for them to make the game as a MMO, but I had did a Research and I know ElderScolls have develop ther Own Engine and is a good sign the name of the Engine is call HeroEngine and they said they wont be using it on ElderScrolls Online game they maybe will be using a better engine and btw SWTOR is run on HeroEngine. I just really hope they develop ElderScroll and take ther time I just heard ther GameInformer Podcast and they have said what will the game will have but not allot of info I really Love Elder Scrolls games.

I never played any of the TES series and could care less if this is a true ES game. Its not, its a spin off of it, they tell you that so nobody is expecting that from the start. .......

Have fun.

Since you never played any of the TES series, I really don't think you understand the fan reaction at all.

This is not just mindless QQing or rage. I propose that you use Gamefly , try out Skyrim, then come back and said you are fine with Zenimax creating TESO the way they are stating they will make it.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I see the hero engine getting mentioned in a bad light again... there is nothing wrong with this engine and again im not sure how bioware managed to stuff it up so badly..

Hero Engine can do everything we want from an ES MMO.

*Can do big seamless open worlds

*Can do FPS style combat

*Can allow buildings to be built

*Can be made skill based instead of class based

*is capable of maknig a good looking world

Ok sure the graphics engine side of things are not up to par with the engine used in Skyrim but its pretty good..

here is an example of some of the normal map details the engine can handle.. this is somthing i got into the engine and it only took me a few mins really..(yeah i know its not tiled i was just testing)

Originally posted by Caldrin

I see the hero engine getting mentioned in a bad light again... there is nothing wrong with this engine and again im not sure how bioware managed to stuff it up so badly..

Hero Engine can do everything we want from an ES MMO.

*Can do big seamless open worlds

*Can do FPS style combat

*Can allow buildings to be built

*Can be made skill based instead of class based

*is capable of maknig a good looking world

Ok sure the graphics engine side of things are not up to par with the engine used in Skyrim but its pretty good..

here is an example of some of the normal map details the engine can handle.. this is somthing i got into the engine and it only took me a few mins really..(yeah i know its not tiled i was just testing)

BTW they already mentioned that Hero engine was only used as an Whiteboard, they have their own Engine developed just for TESO.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

We want to play an Elder Scrolls MMO with Skyrim mechanics. ANYTHING less and this game will fail horribly. The producers need to grow some balls and get it done. Period.

If they roll out a WoW/GW2 clone with TES storyline, it wil be the laughing stock of 2013.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

dark fall? you mean that bugged game? are you sure about that?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.