Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: The Aion 3.0 Review

Comments

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165

Originally posted by elrusoloco

Am I the only one who found Aion's combat to be unbearably slow?  Having to go through the full skill rotation 5 times on every single mob was enough to get me to stop playing around level 22.  Or was I doing it wrong?  This was the case both on a templar (socketing +block for tanking) and a cleric (socketing +crit).

Ok... 2 diferent things. To try a game, you choose the 2 most important support classes?! Hummm ok it's a choice, i would choose a Glad or even a SM, but ok.

Even with these, Temp and Cler, you have 2 options to play it.

As a Temp, when you want just to grind quests alone, you probably need a great sword, with all the set equiped with crits. And when you become a true tank on a party, thats the game with sword and shield with block/crits or even hp.

With the Cleric, you can do the same, with a staf and equipping the set with magic boost. On a party as a true healer, you probably need much HP and a mace with shield.

My opinion :P

• xSagaixSagai Member CommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

LOL.  Look at that tiny head i nthe first pic.  I really don't like asian art style in MMO's.  Major turn off.

Head size is controlled completely at character creation. The tiny head you speak of is the product of the player who created it.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I may actually give Aion another go seeing as how dissapointing Tera is...So Aion doesnt have ACTION combat...at least it has a decent story and deep gameplay along with it.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Durray

I agree the visuals have aged slightly and it is beaten by: TERA and....? And that is worth 7?

Also explain how it is worse then SWTOR's hero engine given that was given 9/10 and is absoultely hideous. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178

Aion beats TOR in animations and character models; barely.  But Aion's textures are some of the worst I've seen. The textures in that game get stomped by games like WoW, TOR, and many others. People have been over-hyping Aion's graphics since it was announced... It never had good graphics, only decent character models. Want proof? Play the game... Those that preach about Aion having some of the best graphics, are nothing but fanboys. It was never a top 3 mmo in graphics, even at launch.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

This game looks just as fruity as I remember it being.

• EvokerzEvokerz Member UncommonPosts: 37

AION CONS (END-GAME):

- RNG (GEAR ENCHANTING & MANASTONE SOCKETING)

- ENDLESS PVE GRIND FOR KINAH TO BUY SUPER EXPENSIVE ENCHANTMENT STONES AND MANASTONES

- ENDLESS PVE GRIND FOR AP & MEDALS TO BUY PVP GEAR

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180

This might be a good game to play until Guild Wars 2 is available. Never really thought about it until this review. Is there a huge population due to the F2P? I know Lineage 2 grew substantially since it changed.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I was one of the big fans of aion when it released, I got it the first week and played the first free month, I really loved it alot.

I since recently just patched my client and jumped on my old character which was nice to see it was still there after all this time.  The game really looks amazing with the graphics turned up and DX10 enabled.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

When I originally played Aion I was looking for a long-term MMO home.  I played to level 30, but I was hearing so much screaming and moaning and rage about the upper levels that I decided it wasn't worth investing a ton of time and subscription cash in a game that was ultimately going to piss me off.  I hadn't found anything that I didn't like about the game, but I moved on to avoid the rage that other people were feeling.

Now that Aion is free to play and I am much more broke than before, it is a whole new situation.  I feel like I am quietly sneaking in to an MMO and no one has noticed that I am not paying the monthly subscription fee.  I am enjoying it much more just based on the fact that I am getting for free what I once paid for.  Besides, it is not a bad game at all.  I am just hitting level 40, so I haven't experienced much PVP yet, but I hear that it is pretty decent.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

Just in case...

The first cry engine is 10 years old not 8... it was finished around 2002 and the game took around 18 months to be finished...

• RosenthorneRosenthorne Member UncommonPosts: 94

2 words...TRULY FREE.

My husband and I always play mmo's together which before the recent change to the aussie dollar used to involve about $40 a month to play, well...anthing.

We still cannot get over the fact that we are playing this game that has decent graphics, a HUGE world, crafting, housing, a large community, decent PVE, Decent PVP, not too much ganking because its realm vs realm...and ITS FREE!..Totally, completely free.

No other game out there at the moment beats that.

• GrunimGrunim Member UncommonPosts: 172

Aion 3.0 is the first F2P MMO where I feel immersed.   I played MUDs for years and as I play Aion 3.0, I find myself becoming excited again.  So much to explore and achieve.  Aion is even getting me interested in delving into some PvP and I'm generally more of a PvE gamer.

I agree with the reviewer that one of its strengths is that Aion offers a player so much CHOICE.   I don't see myself becoming bored with this game any time soon.  

Also, I don't like action style combat, so I'm quite happy with the combat system that Aion offers.  For me, the combat controls are smooth in comparison to most other F2P MMOs I've tried.

This is a fantastic game for not having to pay a thing to play.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220
    My final score a 4.5 this kinda MMO is played out. I wish someone would make a true next gen.. A MMO with balls something we have never seen before, more sandbox please!
  • nilsangawennilsangawen Member Posts: 6

Best F2P mmo ever!

Nobody should miss this

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by Belly1974

My first post *waves small flag*

I've never tried this game... I may give it a go. :)

Welcome to the site ^^  Aion is definitely worth a try now that it's f2p.  I played beta and one month after release then stopped, but that's par for the course for me these days with most mmo's.  Same thing happened with Rift.  I still play Aion on and off, but GW2 is what really holds my interest (so far).

• kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

This game brings back memories. Played for over 2 years.

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
    KiX0@Steam/Raptr

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by xSagai

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

LOL.  Look at that tiny head i nthe first pic.  I really don't like asian art style in MMO's.  Major turn off.

Head size is controlled completely at character creation. The tiny head you speak of is the product of the player who created it.

Good point, xSagai, and one that the reviewer didn't mention.  Customer characterisation has more options than any other game I've played and that can lead to some odd looking characters, especially when people mess with proportions.

• doodler222doodler222 Member UncommonPosts: 112

Originally posted by Psychow

One day...the servers where down for 2 hours when I wanted to play...therefore...the game deserves a ZERO!!!!!!!!!! Just like Diablo 3!! /Rage

I like the new AION and will continue to play off and on for a very long time.

It's called "planned updates" and they annouce these on their website, on the screen where you choose the game, and on the actual login screen.

I started playing AION on Day-1. At first, yes it was a very slow grind and I would come back and play now and then, but mainly for the crafting, and exploring.

That is something not mentioned here - the massive maps. These maps just go on and on and on. Sometimes you find a road that simply stops and BAM - it leads to another city through a portal.

Many of my friends left PWI (Pay-To-Win) and the difference is night and day. They were hooked around lvl 16 when they hit their first instance and got to explore more and more.

I have played every class, made 2-3 each actually, crafted everything and still am not bored. That is since what September 2009?

Most MMORPGS I can play 3 months max.

For me, I would still like to see the two big things shown in the video discussing the upgrades, one is swimming and one was the taming of some mobs for mounts.

It is simple - you have your lands, you can rift into enemy lands and kill them (and like-wise) or you call can hit up the Abyss and even fight the games race. Maybe even have an airship of them come after you.

The wars are totally epic. The help you get ingame, the knowledge of the long-term players - there is just so much happening here.

I do NOT agree with the part about the graphics. Even with mine turned down to lowest, they are just .. amazing.

And you know if you do get bored - roll the other faction and explore their lands... they are totally different.

If you like social games, if you like the THEM against US, if you like seeing a group of enemies rift in and a region shout go out, marking their location on the map and literally watching 20+ smaller levels go to fight them with a "ohhh no you don't" - pushing them off OUR land, while others scout for their kisk (portable save point) well ..its epic.

I had been telling a group of friends for a year about this - then the expansion - the great things that came w/ it and the F2P - and one came over, he pulled in more and them more and they still are trickling over - and staying.

I am a hard core cash shopper - but not in AION. Sure, I got my pets, got a few exp items, waiting to get my wings but its all casual stuff - not really pay-to-win cs.

AION is... really everything almost anyone could want. PvE zones, extensive crafting, its a game totally based upon being self-sufficient, exploring and of course later in the game, grouping up to get things done - which honestly, let's you meet some of the coolest people. Yeah you run into jerks but generally I tell them how GREAT the other race (faction is) and suggest they reroll.. (evil giggle).

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

The core elements of the game are essentially unchanged.A little glitter here a little glitter there.Just anoterh pve game....unless you want to go into the abyss when you are high enough and get ganked by groups of high levels. Sounds like fun doesn't it.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

The thing that really did for `Aion in Western markets was the way the grind really kicked in about level 25. between level 25 and 35 most then realized this was just another Korean grinder mmo and gave up and unsubbed. Game wasn't bad, just standard generic high fantasy kind of thing, visuals and sounds were alright for the day, and gameplay wasn't bad. Nope, it was the grind that did or Aion, and that is why verion 3.0 is F2P now.

• DurrayDurray Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by AvsRock21

I agree the visuals have aged slightly and it is beaten by: TERA and....? And that is worth 7?

Also explain how it is worse then SWTOR's hero engine given that was given 9/10 and is absoultely hideous. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178

Aion beats TOR in animations and character models; barely.  But Aion's textures are some of the worst I've seen. The textures in that game get stomped by games like WoW, TOR, and many others. People have been over-hyping Aion's graphics since it was announced... It never had good graphics, only decent character models. Want proof? Play the game... Those that preach about Aion having some of the best graphics, are nothing but fanboys. It was never a top 3 mmo in graphics, even at launch.

Oh ok I will play the game and find out. Wait I have been playing since November 11th 2009.

Trust me with the advanced engine on and everything on max (I run a gtx 570, I7-2600, 6gb RAM), it is only beaten by TERA currently. And before you ask yes I have played: WoW (seriously outdated graphics, but amusing for short bursts of time), TOR (still want a refund and am boycotting EA games). 

I find your view frankly mind boggling. I use WOW and TOR as examples of games with some of the worst graphics in the industry. 

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Aion is alot of fun right now, alot of people playing lots of pvp.

As for the astetics this game still looks a good bit better than SWTOR imo and doenst cost a monthly sub.

• Lord_AthonLord_Athon Member UncommonPosts: 165
    (...) I use WOW and TOR as examples of games with some of the worst graphics in the industry. 

Man, thats not fair :P

Agree with you.

• TanissaTanissa Member UncommonPosts: 7

I want to play the version the OP is playing, I must be on the old step child edtion. Mine is not soo 10/10 or even 7/10 since Korean Devs will not change anything for the western market

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

YOU CAN TELL FROM THE SCREENSHOT THAT HIS COMP CANT RUN AION AT MAX SETTING YET HES CALLING THE GRAPHICS OUTDATED? you serious bro?    XDDDDDDDDDDD