Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you know why everyone plays LoL right now?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Ares31

Wrong...........

Just

Wrong

RIFT has blown away the MMO competition.....If you dont like RIFT/TRION, you dont like MMO's....period

I thought the same at first but then i made a macro.......

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Z3R01

Can't really be a Dota style game without being a variation of Dota. Its like Match 3 puzzle games. You can alter things but mostly you just match colors the whoel time.

I guess people feel strongly about MMOs because they off a deeper experience and usually have some subscription attached? 

For me I think LoL, Dota 2 and HoN are awesome and I look forward to Blizzard All-Stars & lesser known MOBAs like SMITE.

But Bejeweled is different from Triple Town.

With DOTA2 and HoN, they're like if you took Bejeweled and changed the gem colors, and tried to pretend it was a new game.  They are virtual carbon copies, with a few extra features.

Whereas RIFT or TOR definitely aren't carbon copies of WOW.

And yes, I look forward to Blizzard All-Stars because it (like LOL) applies some design muscle to moving the genre forward instead of just releasing a copy to turn a buck.  Also I surprisingly ended up enjoying SMNC, which is similar to what Smite will be (which I'll also try.)  Hi-Rez makes some solid games (Tribes is amazing.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I don't play LoL atm. Haven't played it since like January. I briefly subbed to Rift, then ended up playing SCII, and now DIII came out so I'm playing that + checking out some closed beta tests.

RIFT has blown away the MMO competition.....If you dont like RIFT/TRION, you dont like MMO's....period

Err... wait, what?

Originally posted by Axehilt

I am not sure about RIFT, but TOR is definitely a carbon copy of WoW. Down to the UI details.

• InfinityDInfinityD Member Posts: 33

You are absolutely correct in my case, at any rate.

Quit WoW. Started playing LoL. Nothing else has held my interest since. Rift is bland, SWTOR was fun for the one month, Diablo 3 was fun through normal and nightmare and then meh. Tera got dull before the beta was over.

At this point im inclined to think that perhaps I just enjoy MOBA gameplay more than MMO gameplay now. Maybe my MMO days are over. Or maybe Guild Wars 2 will do the trick. But i've hyped over way too many games to do it again. I'd rather not care, and be pleasantly suprised later.

Originally posted by InfinityD
    Diablo 3 was fun through normal and nightmare and then meh.

Diablo III is not an MMO.

I think including that proves you didn't go through an MMO cycle as much as you just went through "a bunch of games I don't like" cycle.

• FalconiumFalconium Member Posts: 20

I'm currently satisfied with WoW, RIFT, and Spiral Knights, but mainly Spiral Knights. Haven't touched LoL since I decided to try doing games against real players instead of the bots and found out just how anal the community is. The gameplay itself was nice and was a fun game, but I need something more. The community didn't help much though.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

LoL is full of ADD ridden twitch kids who spend a majority of the time callign other players in the match names rather than actually be a team player. LoL is not that great...at all.

Rather play Anno 2070, Skyrim, Stronghold Kingdoms...amonst others.

• InfinityDInfinityD Member Posts: 33

Originally posted by Irus

I think including that proves you didn't go through an MMO cycle as much as you just went through "a bunch of games I don't like" cycle.

Certainly. But the vast majority of those (including well over a dozen I didn't list) were MMO's. Diablo was simply listed because its currently relevant.

I'm certainly not one to say that all current MMO's are bad or the genre is dying. Just that i'm more or less tired of them. And not even in a jaded or trollish way. I just log in, play for 5 minutes, and feel like im not really having any fun anymore. I've done this even with LoL a couple times at this point. But currently its holding my interest moreso than anything else.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

So? The play style is close enough. You either solo, or go into a dungeon with a small group. The only difference is the lack of a persistent city as the lobby. There is a AH and even crafting.

In fact many mmo players r playing d3, including at least 1.2m wow players.
  • SpardaXSpardaX Member Posts: 46

LOL is a great game i also heard those bitchings when i started because its a team game, you noob you fuck the game of 4 other people you gonna ear alot of trashing, but when i got veteran, im playing almost since the beginning, yo dont ear trashing almost anymore rather sometimes i do the trashing lool :P

Its really depressing you joining a game for 30 to 40 minutes and lose a game because a guy doesnt know the basics of the game. And dont compare the community of LOL which is a very competitive game, with mmo communitys that is just stupid.

But simplifying what i mean is get some experience turn a better player, and most of the trashing will stop, just the ignore people who trash they are just writing anyway and probably really angry with something you did.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

So? The play style is close enough. You either solo, or go into a dungeon with a small group. The only difference is the lack of a persistent city as the lobby. There is a AH and even crafting. In fact many mmo players r playing d3, including at least 1.2m wow players.

*facepalm*

Really? I really love the recent trend how suddenly all the lobby games with trading elements became MMO's.

Newsflash: WoW is not an MMO because it has a bunch of people in a persistent city who can join up 40-man instances. You can do that in Guild Wars. There's a reason Guild Wars is not an MMO.

WoW is an MMO because of the level area you sit in from 1 to max level. Because Azeroth is persistent and you can have shittons of people simultaneously across Azeroth.

Diablo III is a lobby game. Not because it lacks a city, but because it lacks a world. It's not "close enough". The only reason you think it's close enough is because you do not actually play MMO's like MMO's, you play them as lobby games, but that's your problem (or, I guess, the low availability of non-lobby gameplay in MMO's).

Maybe you just dislike lobby games?

Originally posted by SpardaX

But simplifying what i mean is get some experience turn a better player, and most of the trashing will stop, just the ignore people who trash they are just writing anyway and probably really angry with something you did.

Not happening. Most people thrashing are very, very stupid people with deep mental problems who will thrash you regardless.

Granted, HoN is worse. Not only are people madder, but you also get to hear their nasty voices over voice chat. Ugh.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I didnt see what was so thrilling about LoL....Point and click PVP just blows and hte players quit often during battles.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

LoL is full of ADD ridden twitch kids who spend a majority of the time callign other players in the match names rather than actually be a team player. LoL is not that great...at all.

"Damn whippersnappers beating me in my video games!"

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

"Damn whippersnappers beating me in my video games!"

Doesn't surprise me this is the rebuttal I get. Express you don't like a game and you must be terrible at it right?

Much like WoW...it wasn't as much the game I disliked...but the cesspool community within.

So? The play style is close enough. You either solo, or go into a dungeon with a small group. The only difference is the lack of a persistent city as the lobby. There is a AH and even crafting. In fact many mmo players r playing d3, including at least 1.2m wow players.

*facepalm*

Really? I really love the recent trend how suddenly all the lobby games with trading elements became MMO's.

Newsflash: WoW is not an MMO because it has a bunch of people in a persistent city who can join up 40-man instances. You can do that in Guild Wars. There's a reason Guild Wars is not an MMO.

WoW is an MMO because of the level area you sit in from 1 to max level. Because Azeroth is persistent and you can have shittons of people simultaneously across Azeroth.

Diablo III is a lobby game. Not because it lacks a city, but because it lacks a world. It's not "close enough". The only reason you think it's close enough is because you do not actually play MMO's like MMO's, you play them as lobby games, but that's your problem (or, I guess, the low availability of non-lobby gameplay in MMO's).

Maybe you just dislike lobby games?

Still ... it is just semantics. Many players do NOT play in the "world' portion of a MMO, and focus their play-time in instance, small group dungeons, and AH. So what is the difference between their play style and D3?

You can call it something else .. it does not change the fact that the core of the gameplay is roughly the same (except combat mechanics).

Lastly, i DO like lobby games. In fact, i like the fact that i can play many MMOs like a lobby game.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

Wrong...........

Just

Wrong

I laughed so hard!

Rift was only a 2 week mmo, not only that it is a gear grind at max level. True gamers know this is just a cop out by lazy devs in the first place. Don't forget now they are taking the blizzard model and putting everythig in their game that is popular.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

Wrong...........

Just

Wrong

I laughed so hard!

Rift was only a 2 week mmo, not only that it is a gear grind at max level. True gamers know this is just a cop out by lazy devs in the first place. Don't forget now they are taking the blizzard model and putting everythig in their game that is popular.

yeah how horrible of a game developer to add "popular" content into their game for their playerbase ... those bastards.

as for the original topic eh i would rather play a modded out skyrim and wait for Torchlight 2, sorry D3 fans but any SINGLEPLAYER game that forces me to connect to the internet is on my blacklist.

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126

Why must there be some hidden reason to play LoL? Why cant it simply be played because its fun?

Maybe someone wants to play Dota2 but wants a more MOBA-newbie friendly version to get their feet wet.

I play LoL because quite frankly I find it fun. No reason other than the fact I like the game and want to get better at it and realize it takes tons and tons of time to get used to the game and to get a chance to even sample the almost 100 champions.

Also I see alot of folks that jump right in first game PvP are setting yourself up for some negativity. If you die a few times quickly to the same person very early in a match you are going to cost your team the game by "feeding". Its not a 100% sure loss but you will need some good teamwork and killing quickly and your team will have to perform well. If you want to try LoL and are new to the genre play the bots! ALOT! The beginner bots give you a chance to learn the game alot with guides are mobafire.com. The beginner bots also are pretty forgiving when you make a mistake.

Once you get some experience and summoner levels you go intermediate bots. Very unforgiving bots that will tear you apart for mistakes and make better use of their abilities and they gear up alot better. A great way to test your skills when trying new champions.

Its just my opinion but I needed the bot practice just to learn the game and get a few champions in my stable. If you take the time to read and practice practice practice you may find a really enjoyable game.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Originally posted by Axehilt

I am not sure about RIFT, but TOR is definitely a carbon copy of WoW. Down to the UI details.

UI details don't matter.  Gameplay matters.  And between the ship, the dialog, the mobs' lack of abilities, and the way each class plays, the game very obviously can't be described as a carbon copy.

Certainly not as much a copy as HoN was of DOTA1, given that they literally copied the exact values for their entire content.

TOR plays similarly to WOW, sure.  But to call it a carbon copy is just nonsensical gamer extremism.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Originally posted by Ecoces

as for the original topic eh i would rather play a modded out skyrim and wait for Torchlight 2, sorry D3 fans but any SINGLEPLAYER game that forces me to connect to the internet is on my blacklist.

Don't worry. We won't miss you. As it is right now, there is no lack of players to play with, and no lack of stuff to buy on the AH. Heck, Blizz has more D3 cusomters than their servers can handle. We won't miss you.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by Ecoces

Don't worry. We won't miss you. As it is right now, there is no lack of players to play with, and no lack of stuff to buy on the AH. Heck, Blizz has more D3 cusomters than their servers can handle. We won't miss you.

awww grats on your Bnet kiddie badge.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by emperorwings

Played it once, got called a newb for no reason so I didn't play it agian.

Getting called a "newb" is comparatively nice for LoL.  The community is far and away the worst mmorpg's have to offer.  Since the game the itself isn't that great, it's not worth putting up those kiddies.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by dave6660

Getting called a "newb" is comparatively nice for LoL.  The community is far and away the worst mmorpg's have to offer.  Since the game the itself isn't that great, it's not worth putting up those kiddies.

1) It is NOT a MMORPG. It is a MOBA .. even their own website say so.

2) you don't have to play with strangers. You can play with friends. You have friends, don't you? Who cares about community when you can play with friends?

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by dave6660

Tried it too a while ago. I think the comment I got when I joined a baby level battleground or whatever they were called for the first time went something like "What the *** are you doing? Are you a noob?".

Not bothering to answer that "Yes, just started 30 mins ago, care to give me some helpful tips friend?" I logged out and uninstalled. Not a very nice experience of a game "community". But I came away from it as a victor -  one experience richer and more appreciative of the good social experiences in online games:)