Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

worth coming back as a miner/orca flyer

khurjan786khurjan786 Member Posts: 7

just need some advice. i havent played my toon since 2010. I had just learnt to fly orca, my problem is at time i was in aussie guild which had base in 0.4 sector with a 0.2 sector between that base and so called safety of a 0.6 system. I dont know if i can make it out safely and secondly what can a casual player with few hrs a week achieve with a orca?

Comments

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Wait a few days, the miner massacre is almost at an end. It went on for a whole month this year. I am not sure about what advice I should give you. Right now the people on the official forums spew their propaganda about how miners are bad for EVE and how their ultimate goal is to make every miner quit by ganking them in hisec over and over again. Wait a while until it simmers down.

• khurjan786khurjan786 Member Posts: 7
    Why so much hostilities towards miners? When. I use to play before. I would use money earned from mining to help friends and Guilford. On occasion players who were decent sort and were struggling.
    Originally posted by khurjan786
    Why so much hostilities towards miners? When. I use to play before. I would use money earned from mining to help friends and Guilford. On occasion players who were decent sort and were struggling.

Goons and their sycophants...

One even wrote a 2 page manifesto on how miners must be destroyed. The pvpers want everybody to play the game their way and keep using the sandbox argument.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Lowcaian

Wait a few days, the miner massacre is almost at an end. It went on for a whole month this year. I am not sure about what advice I should give you. Right now the people on the official forums spew their propaganda about how miners are bad for EVE and how their ultimate goal is to make every miner quit by ganking them in hisec over and over again. Wait a while until it simmers down.

Im a bit confused, don't you get concorded in high security areas,   dont you mean low sec?    Last time I took somebody out in high sec i got nailed like 5 seconds later.  However that was back in 2009 last time i played. 

• ShinseiYamaShinseiYama Member UncommonPosts: 40

Eric its called suicide ganking of miners, at such events i was on both sides, as miner and as ganker,.

As ganker i had multiple (30-50+) ships ready to suicide to get kill on miners.

As miner i tried to survive but many times i lost entire fleets as well.

But hey its eve, either survive or die!

HTFU

www.extremenastytossers.com

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109

Talk about removing the local chat channel in null sec and watch them cry or watch them rage about cloak not having a counter effect.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

I resub/logged in my miner and within an hour found out how miners were being focused on. Also had ppl bumping my orca nonstop. As a casual player i dont need that shit so cancelled sub. Might try again in 12 mths maybe. Goons are getting there wish so it seems.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Miner killing event?  This is why I'll never return to that game.  I wasn't even a miner but yeah, sandbox is great until a mob forms and then it's just a contest of who gets bullied, who can survive it, and who lowers themselves enough to join the mob.

Not interested in games where a crew of psychotic ego tripping maniacs hold way too much sway over things that can and cannot be done reasonably in the game.  

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too tho.

• Redon1973Redon1973 Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Miner killing event?  This is why I'll never return to that game.  I wasn't even a miner but yeah, sandbox is great until a mob forms and then it's just a contest of who gets bullied, who can survive it, and who lowers themselves enough to join the mob.

Not interested in games where a crew of psychotic ego tripping maniacs hold way too much sway over things that can and cannot be done reasonably in the game.  

Agreed. Miners have always had a role in EVE. Make 'em quit? I'm sure there's some kind of logic there, but it eludes me.

EVE seems more and more about the E-peen, kinda ridiculous.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

if the miners quit whos gonna supply the crafters the ores needed to build theyr ships ave they thought of tht?

for without ore no new ships or weapons so it sounds idiotic to me unless they wanna mine the ore thmself :)

unless ofc they wan monopoly on th market

• SophusVirSophusVir Member Posts: 44

EVE has always been full of scummy people. There ARE a few good ones but for the most part its full of scum and they do nothing but use the mechanics of the game to cause you grief. Lets let eve start to die and maybe then they'll see that its time to fix those bumping, corp blowing up griefing idiots.

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

One even wrote a 2 page manifesto on how miners must be destroyed. The pvpers want everybody to play the game their way and keep using the sandbox argument.

I just say: f*** them all. Goons and simmlar r just loosers scared of real pvp. They r just boolies just taking pride in kill ppl that cannot defend themselfs (i.e. miners, haulers, etc). I wonder how they will be getting the minerals for their ships if miners stop mining. From ratting? Good luck with that. 

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

You ever consider that people participating in hulkageddon might mine themselves? It is a great way to make ISK now. Funny thing about killing miners, it is much easier in high-sec. I've killed far more hulks in empire than I ever will in null-sec largely due to the false sense of security people have built up. In fact the only time I've ever killed miners in null-sec was by awoxing, they tend to dock up the moment a neutral enters system.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Honestly if your gonna cry like ever other miner in EvE when something doesn't go as carebear as you want it to no I wouldnt, but honestly the focus on miners is decreasing rapidly so.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Redon1973
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Agreed. Miners have always had a role in EVE. Make 'em quit? I'm sure there's some kind of logic there, but it eludes me.

EVE seems more and more about the E-peen, kinda ridiculous.

Now take what Im about to say with a grain of salt. And yes, I heard from a friend (a good friend), who heard from his friend that the purpose of the "event" is to drive out the legitimate players from the game (or from mining) so that it decreases the competition for mining. And the only people who are allowed to mine in safety are people who have paid real money to say safe. So its not direct in game RMT and thus cant be tracked thru the game.

Do I believe that? Seeing as who the event organizers are...yeah I actually do.

Does it seem far fetched? Yeah. But I can see how RMT mining botters could actually increase their profits in the real world by increasing their profits in game.

But as I said, its something a friend of a friend indirectly overheard or something like that.

So as Ripley said "Believe it, or Not!"

Or maybe its just to increase the event organizers profits in mining. I mean if they're heading up the gank gangs would it be that hard to tell their own miner/alts to log off when they're heading that way? No.

Hell maybe they sacrafice a few barges to seem like "everyone is a target". That honestly I find more probable.

Get the rest of EVE to do your dirty work, while increasing the profit on minerals or more likely a bigger profit on ships. Sell more barges after and more suicide ships.

But to me it definitely sounds like there is something neferious going on.

Which is sad, because EVE was designed to be an MMO Elite, thats the Dev words not mine. And its degenerated into just a blowing shit up kind of game.

And even though I dont play it any more its still, in my opinion, the best MMO ever made.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

The big problem is not open pvp which I actually like, the big problem is Goons. They are not a problem because they are asshats (which many of them are) but because they are the single largest powerblock in the game. If another equally large powerblock would rise and act as a counterweight I believe things would be much better.

CCP likes them because they create PR for EVE but I can't help but wonder if it will eventually backfire on them. Goons have actually political influence when it comes to dealing with the devs and the direction of the game (how strong influence can be debated but no matter how small, it is more than other players have), add to this that they can do whatever they want in game and I am not sure it's a good situation if you want to draw more new players.

They always use the "it is sandbox" to justify their actions and their behaviour is not only tolerated but actively encouraged by CCP. What happens if they are so sucessful that they actually manage to drive out enough players that it shows on the bottom line? Ten, even five percent would have an impact. CCP can't do a 180 then as to what is griefing and what isn't, they have esentially painted themselves into a corner.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354

The big problem is not open pvp which I actually like, the big problem is Goons. They are not a problem because they are asshats (which many of them are) but because they are the single largest powerblock in the game. If another equally large powerblock would rise and act as a counterweight I believe things would be much better.

CCP likes them because they create PR for EVE but I can't help but wonder if it will eventually backfire on them. Goons have actually political influence when it comes to dealing with the devs and the direction of the game (how strong influence can be debated but no matter how small, it is more than other players have), add to this that they can do whatever they want in game and I am not sure it's a good situation if you want to draw more new players.

They always use the "it is sandbox" to justify their actions and their behaviour is not only tolerated but actively encouraged by CCP. What happens if they are so sucessful that they actually manage to drive out enough players that it shows on the bottom line? Ten, even five percent would have an impact. CCP can't do a 180 then as to what is griefing and what isn't, they have esentially painted themselves into a corner.

So Goons have ruined your game?

This is the new trending topic on CAOD, Goons have won EVE and CCP needs to step in and stop them somehow. It is beyond pathetic. They got to where they are by busting up the superpowers before them and instead of doing the same, high-sec bears whine that CCP needs to nerf them instead. Last time I checked, they started off as just scrub alliance in Syndicate when BoB tried to wipe them out of the game entirely. They didn't cry to CCP about mean ole SirMolle griefing them, they fought back and eventually took apart not only BoB but every incarnation of it since.

They are pathetic. Kill a miner in losec, ok because it's a dangerous place, kill a miner in hisec if your corp/alliance is at war with his, ok because then you are a strategic target as a miner.

Suicide ganking for lulz or for the purpose of driving other players out of the game is pathetic.

On the forums a guy suggested that a suicide ganking would result in a gcc for weeks. You know what happened? Cry whine, I don't want to be killed anywhere anytime, that was the answer from the Goon. Oh so risk and sandbox is only good as long as they are not at the recieving end I take it.

• SlaverHoundSlaverHound Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by mWo4life

I just say: f*** them all. Goons and simmlar r just loosers scared of real pvp. They r just boolies just taking pride in kill ppl that cannot defend themselfs (i.e. miners, haulers, etc). I wonder how they will be getting the minerals for their ships if miners stop mining. From ratting? Good luck with that. 

They have massive mining operations running at all times unless somebody shows up in the local chat channel and then they shout "stranger danger" and dock up and hide under their mommy's skirt until the stranger goes away.

"Lectroids? Planet 10? Nuclear extortion? A girl named "John"?

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by Wycliffe

So Goons have ruined your game?

This is the new trending topic on CAOD, Goons have won EVE and CCP needs to step in and stop them somehow. It is beyond pathetic. They got to where they are by busting up the superpowers before them and instead of doing the same, high-sec bears whine that CCP needs to nerf them instead. Last time I checked, they started off as just scrub alliance in Syndicate when BoB tried to wipe them out of the game entirely. They didn't cry to CCP about mean ole SirMolle griefing them, they fought back and eventually took apart not only BoB but every incarnation of it since.

So what about new players like me that think about getting into the game, but hear crap like this? First EvE is huge, and a steep learning curve, so I know i have my work cut out for me if i join. But say i decide to mine in the begining, am i going to get targeted out by these asshats? I understand having a large guild being able to do what you want, but it's seriously killing my desire to even try the game out.

PvP is one thing, griefing is a whole other thing, and this sounds like griefing. Not something i'm sure i want to try out. If i get 3 months in starting to make headway, is some goon clown going to destroy everything i've put to work?

Look EvE isn't my game i'm just saying, is it realy justifiable with what they are doing just cause it is a sand box?

(And i really am thinking of trying EvE out)

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

If I were contemplating joining EVE right now I'd wait for another game.   EVE right now has an over abundance of asshats, plus it seems CCP is letting the asshats do whatever they like.  Sorta like a prison letting the prisoners run the place.     Null sec has become a boring place of fleet blob warfare.   Most alliances are just sitting on their sov held space for the time being.  Goonswarm is sitting back mining moons for all they are worth.    Even though high-sec is a mess, null-sec and low-sec are just as bad.  

I'd avoid EVE right now as a miner profession.   Go run missions and do PvP.  

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by SophusVir

EVE has always been full of scummy people. There ARE a few good ones but for the most part its full of scum and they do nothing but use the mechanics of the game to cause you grief. Lets let eve start to die and maybe then they'll see that its time to fix those bumping, corp blowing up griefing idiots.

A lot of enjoying EVE has to do with being able to appreciate schadenfreude, once you 'get' that you will 'get' EVE. You don't have to be any particular profession to delight in the failure of others.

• AqueAque Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Calfis

A lot of enjoying EVE has to do with being able to appreciate schadenfreude, once you 'get' that you will 'get' EVE. You don't have to be any particular profession to delight in the failure of others.

Another phrase with a meaning similar to Schadenfreude is "morose delectation" ("delectatio morosa" in Latin), meaning "the habit of dwelling with enjoyment on evil thoughts".

Sad really- sounds like people who enjoy giving grief to other's over games.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

If you are a pure mining I would stay far far away for awhile.  Goons have extended the mining ganking event forever now.

The main reason they are going after miners is because the GOONs own all the Tech Moons which is a major part of building the Hulk mining ships and Since the GOONs are paying others to kill Hulks and they are killing Hulks and making a mint at the same time. 

Also EvE is not a Sandbox, EvE has sandbox elements but is not a Sandbox.  A True Sandbox allows players to play the game how they want to play the game.  EvE allows pvpers to rule the game and is not a true sandbox when one set of players can rule the game.

Sooner or Later

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Oh, come on, all of you!

You're on this site erryday going 'I WANT SANDBAWKS GAMES THAT ARE HARD AND PLAYER INTERACTION MATTERS!!!!' and now you're unsubbing because the Goons made you mad?

Figures.  Whenever it's convenient for you to have a difficult game, it's perfectly fine.  You like the pride that comes from claiming that you're part of a 'difficult' game.  However, when the difficulty starts to impede how you play, it's a whole new tune from this site.

Goons definately deserve a commendation for this.  Uprooting all the weak trash, so only the strong survive.  Now that's a proper sandbox to me.