Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No asura/sylvari in BWE2

Comments

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Roin

Am I the only one that finds this hilarious? I mean if any and I do mean ANY, other developer did this.  There would be no end to the amount of post commenting on how they are hiding something.  Post on how stuff untested by the majority is bad.  As well as various other conspiracy post.  Yet Anet does it, and everything is "right as rain".  The amount of hypocrisy when it comes to Anet is just mind blowing.

That's because most of the devs are hiding something FROM THE BEGINNING.... So far ANet actually backed up everything they were saying with proof and they've been open and honest about everything up to this point. For me that's more than enough to not be bothered by this... :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by fiontar
    Great MMOs are very rare, so why back one's self into a corner where you get stuck having to defend your pre-judgement, rather than being open to enjoying a potentially great game?

I've got a friend who runs a raid guild. He hates GW2 because GW2 doesn't have raids. He doesn't want anyone to like GW2 because if some of the more "casual" players decide that GW2 is a good game they'll stop showing up to his raids.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

That is a good thing. Civilization just learned how to manage gardens to keep them tidy. Last thing we want is having plants trot all over the place to have sex with bees.

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by DrWookie
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by letsxhat

What if they charge for those two? Did they ever say they wouldn't?

They are 2 of the races that will be playable at release. They will not charge for them. Please read ALL the A.Net posts before you post.

Devil's advocate here. Two things.

1. Have they ever CONFIRMED all 5 races will be free? Being "playable" at release DOES NOT mean free. If they charged 5 bucks to play Asura on release, the Asura are still PLAYABLE at release, you just have to pay 5 bucks.

2. I highly doubt you have read "ALL" Arenanet posts before you have posted. Don't use the word "ALL". It actually means well...ALL. 100%. Every. Last. One. You don't even define what kind of posts, making that task even more impossible. All of the twitter, facebook, website, EVERY article where they comment on things? Should he read them ALL? 

:)

There you go: Link

FiontarFiontar2008

GuildWars2 Can you squash the silly rumor that Asura and Sylvari will be sold separate from the box price?

Guild Wars 2GuildWars2

fiontar2008 The asura and sylvari races will not be sold separately. They will be part of the game for everyone. ~RB2

Haha. I don't actually follow the game that much (though I enjoyed the BWE). I didn't know it was an official "rumor" that they felt they had to comment on.

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

They are 2 of the races that will be playable at release. They will not charge for them. Please read ALL the A.Net posts before you post.

1. Have they ever CONFIRMED all 5 races will be free? Being "playable" at release DOES NOT mean free. If they charged 5 bucks to play Asura on release, the Asura are still PLAYABLE at release, you just have to pay 5 bucks.

2. I highly doubt you have read "ALL" Arenanet posts before you have posted. Don't use the word "ALL". It actually means well...ALL. 100%. Every. Last. One. You don't even define what kind of posts, making that task even more impossible. All of the twitter, facebook, website, EVERY article where they comment on things? Should he read them ALL? 

There you go: Link

FiontarFiontar2008

GuildWars2 Can you squash the silly rumor that Asura and Sylvari will be sold separate from the box price?

Guild Wars 2GuildWars2

fiontar2008 The asura and sylvari races will not be sold separately. They will be part of the game for everyone. ~RB2

Haha. I don't actually follow the game that much (though I enjoyed the BWE). I didn't know it was an official "rumor" that they felt they had to comment on.

It was an answer to a player, not like they decided to comment it. Its a very silly rumor lol

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by korent1991

Well since I read every facebook/blog/web post from arenanet / gw2 / gw1 I'm sure there's alot more people who actually check those sites daily and even more than once a day for the past few years (I'm doing it still)...

So if something seems impossible to you, it doesn't mean it's impossible for someone else... So ALL - possible...

I would still maintain that "ALL" in its literal definition is still impossible. THere is some amount that you have missed somewhere. The internet is a big place.

EDIT: I'm not even evoking the literal definition of the word "post" either...which would include all posts on paper that they had at every gaming convention or event or place they have ever been to.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Well, if Asura cost money I guess that would make my decision between Charr and Asura that much easier.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Irus

Well, if Asura cost money I guess that would make my decision between Charr and Asura that much easier.

Or you could read the twitter post Fiontar linked up there, realzie that isn't the case, and not worry about it.

From waht I've heard, there were some major unfinished or problematic areas in the Asura and  Sylvari starting areas, and they chose to take them offline to revamp them. I suspect it isn't going well, or at least not quickly. But there's no big dark conspiracy.

I swear to god the cash shop is like the Godwin's law of GW2: Every time there's something someone doesn't like about the game, they link it to the shop. And no not blaming you for that Irus; remakring about posters in general.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Is it possible the areas are not polished enough for Public exposure? Sure it is.

I think it's more than possible.  I'd say it's likely.  And considering the fact that there is no release date, there isn't anything wrong with that.  But of course, GW2 fans take any accusation that something isn't 100% complete in this game as hatred, and try to spin it a different way.   They aren't holding it out for release.  They just aren't ready yet.  Not sure why you guys need to defend that as if it's some kind of slight against the game.   

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Is it possible the areas are not polished enough for Public exposure? Sure it is.

I think it's more than possible.  I'd say it's likely.  And considering the fact that there is no release date, there isn't anything wrong with that.  But of course, GW2 fans take any accusation that something isn't 100% complete in this game as hatred, and try to spin it a different way.   They aren't holding it out for release.  They just aren't ready yet.  Not sure why you guys need to defend that as if it's some kind of slight against the game.   

I  know one thing for sure ....It's now costing me less to play GW2 whenever it's finished then it's costing many unhappy campers to play Tera in the state that it's in now .....and think this time next month Terra will still be costing more again (not much defense for that )

Well since I read every facebook/blog/web post from arenanet / gw2 / gw1 I'm sure there's alot more people who actually check those sites daily and even more than once a day for the past few years (I'm doing it still)...

So if something seems impossible to you, it doesn't mean it's impossible for someone else... So ALL - possible...

I would still maintain that "ALL" in its literal definition is still impossible. THere is some amount that you have missed somewhere. The internet is a big place.

EDIT: I'm not even evoking the literal definition of the word "post" either...which would include all posts on paper that they had at every gaming convention or event or place they have ever been to.

No there isn't... If you follow official sources aka. their facebook page, blog and official game sites there's not much you can miss... And every games con they've been to and I wasn't  there were videos I could've seen with their most important part and that's Q&A and live gameplay... so, yeah... not that impossible... Especially when most of the mmorpg websites and gw forums which I visit daily discuss and post about anything new that's going on for the past few years.

You said it for yourself - you don't follow the game that much, so I see why it seems so impossible to you xD

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

sylvari and asura will go be free this is already confirmed.

@fiontar2008 The asura and sylvari races will not be sold separately. They will be part of the game for everyone. ~RB2

• NatarayaNataraya Member Posts: 78

working as intended

&btwty

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Is it possible the areas are not polished enough for Public exposure? Sure it is. However, it's also just as likely, given what Arenanet have been telling us since at least last fall about their Public Beta strategy, that the Asura and Sylvari will not be revealed until launch and it won't have anything to do with the state of that content. That's why it's really a non-issue for people who have followed the game.

Detractors want to make it an issue, because there is so little they've been able to get any negativity based traction on. With the hit and (most often miss) nature of the MMORPG genre, it's a little sad to see some people pre-judge this game so negatively, when it has a much greater than average shot at being a great game on release. Great MMOs are very rare, so why back one's self into a corner where you get stuck having to defend your pre-judgement, rather than being open to enjoying a potentially great game?

Yep.  

Anyone who makes an assertion one way or the other cocerning the state of the Sylvari and Asura are merely participating in their own guesswork.  Those guesses are tailored to whatever stance they have already adopted toward GW2; and then those very guesses are presented as evidence for why GW2 is either on the right track or completely off track.  Such backwards argumentation.  

Just take information for what it is, keep an open mind, and acknowledge all possible conclusions as possibilities.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by lathaan
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

They will leave it for release I think. There has to be some mystery to the game when it goes live.

i really hope so ...

I dont I just want ONE chance like 20-30 min to play with Asura/Sylvari char creation :( I am worried I will lose my SINGLE WORD names and I still do not know which I want to play so while I am deciding.. I could lose my single word names and that bothers me :(

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by ariboersma

They will leave it for release I think. There has to be some mystery to the game when it goes live.

i really hope so ...

I dont I just want ONE chance like 20-30 min to play with Asura/Sylvari char creation :( I am worried I will lose my SINGLE WORD names and I still do not know which I want to play so while I am deciding.. I could lose my single word names and that bothers me :(

to much importance people give to  character name....

• Originally posted by DJJazzy

I've read a few posts and seen some in-game chat about this. Apparently ANet wants to hold the Asura and Sylvari until release to do just this. It's all hearsay of course, but I'm hoping that it's true.

i really hope so ...

That's why I'll use my reserved two word names and will create 1 character (no matter which class or race) just to preserve the 1 word name for my future alts :D (/evil)

i really hope so ...

That's why I'll use my reserved two word names and will create 1 character (no matter which class or race) just to preserve the 1 word name for my future alts :D (/evil)

that doesnt really help me =P I mean one thing is there is big lore/RP issues with Asura and single word names... They are pretty much screwing those that want to play Asura and give a sh!t about all that. I mean if I end up going with Sylvari my GW1 name will be perfect.. but if I go Asura like I think I probably will... yea that kills it >.< I have to panic to make the char and I think it takes a day to get to use a deleted char's name so if you mess up the char... ARG!

• akathosakathos Member UncommonPosts: 179

Im looking forward to this game, just like others...For those who are saying Areanet is hiding something,,, whats the problem? I'm not understanding why this is some massive conspiracy?  Areanet are still developing the game, the game is not finished. If they don't want to let us play two races, for whatever reasons., then so be it. They have their reasons and they will be justified no doubt, these BETA Weekends are testing phases, if perhaps the areas or races arn't complete then there is no point in having testers fine comb them.

If it is down to Areanet wanting to keep some of their game back from public view to give some mystery, and keep some of their fun held back for their massive title release...then who are we to say otherwise? People cannot complain about a game which is not finished or even released. We will be playing a testing stage of the game.  To clarify, the game IS NOT EVEN RELEASED.

Relax and wait, it will be worth it.... look at the polish already :)

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

i really hope so ...

that doesnt really help me =P I mean one thing is there is big lore/RP issues with Asura and single word names... They are pretty much screwing those that want to play Asura and give a sh!t about all that. I mean if I end up going with Sylvari my GW1 name will be perfect.. but if I go Asura like I think I probably will... yea that kills it >.< I have to panic to make the char and I think it takes a day to get to use a deleted char's name so if you mess up the char... ARG!

I'm pretty sure I was able to re-use the name of a character I created and deleted during BWE1 with in the time it took for me to re-create the character. I'll add that to a list of things to test during BWE2. (I want to try the three professions I haven't played yet, so I need to delete three characters anyway).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

i really hope so ...

I'm pretty sure I was able to re-use the name of a character I created and deleted during BWE1 with in the time it took for me to re-create the character. I'll add that to a list of things to test during BWE2. (I want to try the three professions I haven't played yet, so I need to delete three characters anyway).

I think its an anet thing I swear I read about GW2.. of course I could be wrong but I think its the same with GW1 and GW2

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by terrant
    Originally posted by Irus

Or you could read the twitter post Fiontar linked up there, realzie that isn't the case, and not worry about it.

From waht I've heard, there were some major unfinished or problematic areas in the Asura and  Sylvari starting areas, and they chose to take them offline to revamp them. I suspect it isn't going well, or at least not quickly. But there's no big dark conspiracy.

I swear to god the cash shop is like the Godwin's law of GW2: Every time there's something someone doesn't like about the game, they link it to the shop. And no not blaming you for that Irus; remakring about posters in general.

I know what you mean. I've been spending some time on the Diablo 3 forums and in every bloody topic somebody brings up either the RMAH or DRM. It's getting tiring.

In the case of Guild Wars 2, I've seen how polished the Human and Norn areas are. I've no doubt that ArenaNet will deliver the same quality work on the Asura and Sylvari starting area. Besides, having something to discover when the game gets released is always fun.

• RoqocoRoqoco Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by MikkelB
    In the case of Guild Wars 2, I've seen how polished the Human and Norn areas are. I've no doubt that ArenaNet will deliver the same quality work on the Asura and Sylvari starting area. Besides, having something to discover when the game gets released is always fun.

Yes - it's hard to believe that they would want the open beta testers to rampage over the whole of Tyria, holding nothing back for release. And as you say the Human/Norn areas were already polished before the BWE so likely they can get the same degree of polish on the Asura/Sylvari areas with just their internal testers. It's not as if the last BWE threw up many race related issues anyway - most of the problems that arose were to do with the volume of players and applied equally to all the released races. 

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

Asura/Sylvari will be part of a Day 1 expansion pack avaliable only through the cash shop! /sarcasm

This thread started out find then went down hill fast.