Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

M-rated: Expectation VS Reality

SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Has the ESRB lost their mind?  For me at least, a certain level of expectation comes to mind when I see an "M" in black and white letters on the box. 

Here are some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8MFkSJMvTU 

...And... here is an example of Diablo 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XgOQDKLtjA

... another E-rated game with an M just randomly stamped on the box, just like Halo.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I think the severed heads flying across the screen constantly pretty much clenched it an M rating. It's a better reason than tits anyway.

The way I figure it, there are 3 possibilities here:

#1 You have a modded version of D3.

#2 You do not see things correctly:  hallucinations, drugs, bad vision.

#3 You were talking about another game, not Diablo 3.

If you can show me a version of diablo 3 with severed heads constantly on screen, I'd buy it.  Since even the few guillotines the game has are turned away from players, I doubt you can find one.  The game does have a few splats of blood, but considering how utterly juvenile the story is, I think it's safe to say that those aren't enough to warrant an M-rating.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

I think the severed heads flying across the screen constantly pretty much clenched it an M rating. It's a better reason than tits anyway.

how utterly juvenile the story is, I think it's safe to say that those aren't enough to warrant an M-rating.

Story doesn't affect the rating that much. 

There are hanged corpses and quite a bit of blood.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

If you can show me a version of diablo 3 with severed heads constantly on screen, I'd buy it.  Since even the few guillotines the game has are turned away from players, I doubt you can find one.  The game does have a few splats of blood, but considering how utterly juvenile the story is, I think it's safe to say that those aren't enough to warrant an M-rating.

It certainly isnt hardcore gore by any means, but to say there is a few splats of blood is an understatement. There is constant blood and body parts flying across the screen. It may not be as freakishly detailed as you would like ... but it is still there. There are also hung bodies and corpses scattered throughout Diablo 3 ... that isnt going to get under an M rating by any standard.

• MerdurMerdur Member UncommonPosts: 27

You also have to understand that the plotline is about "hell", the esrb is most likely full of religous nuts and this is why it would get an M rating. Also the blood and gore and all around setting.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

The problem is with your expectation, rather than the reality. There is more than enough blood and gore going on this game to warrant the M.

You wanted nudity and were disappointed. Are you old enough to be here?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I'm very happy it doesn't fit "top 5 most violent games". I would probably stay the fuck away if it did.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

Not sure what game you're playing. When I wander through the Cathedral, I'm constantly stepping on dead villager/adventurers/soldiers. Then there're the section where a few townmembers are speared to the wall and all.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

/shrug

Deserves an M rating. Is it the goriest thing there is? No...not even close. But plenty there to deserve an M.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I don't think the American agency who rates games and such look at how cartoony it looks or how adult it feels or even how much the focus is on brutality (see your first video with the zoomed in murder)

They just tick boxes and look at how much (volume) and what kind of brutality there is.

That's how you end up with Left 4 Dead and Manhunt getting the same rating as cartoony Diablo 3.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Diablo 3 is full of blood, dismemberment, decapitations, and dead bodies. It's not quite as "in your face" because of the view distance and the art style but it's obviously there.

OP I really doubt if you've even played the game based on what your saying...

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

There are a few blood smears here and there, but not that much.  Most of the dead bodies you come across could just as easily be sleeping bodies. No blood or other signs of violence, though there are a few, minor exceptions.  Compared to Diablo 1, this seems pretty mild.  In that game there were naked, mutilated boddies all over the place, and the Butcher's chambers was completely covered in blood from floor to ceiling. You knew why he was called the Butcher.  In D3, the Butcher's chamber is  a nearly pristine room with fire instead of blood.  It does seem pretty mild in comparison.

The "gore" people are talking about is not very impressive to me.  Maybe if I hadn't played God of War or Manhunt, it would be impressive.  Moreover, the 2008 alpha footage was FAR more impressive, where body parts flew into the air instead of going across the ground, and with death animations which were removed out of sheer laziness.

***Possible Spoilers***

Moreover, the most annoying part is that the story is not mature, at all.  Characters like Magda should go back to Power Rangers, or wherever they came from.  Every time we kill the Butcher, we are reminded that this is now geared toward's that audience, not the core fans of Diablo.  It was so bad, that I didn't even buy the death of Deckard Kain.  When he died, I remembered thinking that there was alpha story content which we saw in 2008, and he'd be back for it.  I also felt detached, as if they somehow got the character wrong and didn't portray him correctly this time around.  This is a character I had known for 16 years, and when he died, I felt like "meh."  Now, when Dom Santiago died, I cried.  That was an emotional investment. Nevermind that Tyreal went from being a major badass to being a whiny idiot. D3 just does not have an emotionally investing, mature story.

I guess it's as much of a thing of dropped mature content/features as it is about the rating itself.  But I digress, these two videos are far more mature than all of the M-rated content in Diablo 3 put together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwUAv-SSZqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYAaGKOhzI

Originally posted by Merdur You also have to understand that the plotline is about "hell", the esrb is most likely full of religous nuts and this is why it would get an M rating.

Sadly, you are probably correct.

Originally posted by Irus I'm very happy it doesn't fit "top 5 most violent games". I would probably stay the fuck away if it did.

If you would rather see a company change an IP than use violence, then you are part of the problem. Diablo is supposed to have mature content, anti-religion themes, horrror, and gore. It's part of the series. Err, it was for the first two games, anyway.

Originally posted by kiern There are a few blood smears here and there, but not that much. Most of the dead bodies you come across could just as easily be sleeping bodies. No blood or other signs of violence, though there are a few, minor exceptions. Compared to Diablo 1, this seems pretty mild. In that game there were naked, mutilated boddies all over the place, and the Butcher's chambers was completely covered in blood from floor to ceiling. You knew why he was called the Butcher. In D3, the Butcher's chamber is a nearly pristine room with fire instead of blood. It does seem pretty mild in comparison.

Exactly. The Butcher is about the best example. See, Doom 3 was a proper example of a sequel.  Doom 1 scared people and had hellish themes.  Doom 3 did too. We should be SCARED of Diablo on the first go around... not "There's the crook, let's get him."  This was supposed to be a horror game!

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

What?

When my wizard uses one of her abilities, ememies are diced into 5 pieces and their limbs and heads go flying all over.

When my monk does a strong punch he literely punches the skin off the enemy and a bloody skeleton goes flying off the screen.

Right before you kill the butcher there's torturing devices where a fat corpse gets grinded up in a wheel and there's buckets of heads that you can hit that cause little heads to go flying all over the place.

In the beginning of act 2 there's dozens of impaled bodies all over the screen and in general THERE'S DEAD BLOODY CORPSES ALL OVER THE WHOLE DAMN GAME.

Go watch some snuff films or something man cause you seem to need a bigger fix.

Either that or quit playing gogogogogogo Inferno 16 hours a day and slow down to look at the screen for a few minutes.

Originally posted by loeslein

What?When my wizard uses one of her abilities, ememies are diced into 5 pieces and their limbs and heads go flying all over.When my monk does a strong punch he literely punches the skin off the enemy and a bloody skeleton goes flying off the screen.Right before you kill the butcher there's torturing devices where a fat corpse gets grinded up in a wheel and there's buckets of heads that you can hit that cause little heads to go flying all over the place.In the beginning of act 2 there's dozens of impaled bodies all over the screen and in general THERE'S DEAD BLOODY CORPSES ALL OVER THE WHOLE DAMN GAME.  Go watch some snuff films or something man cause you seem to need a bigger fix. Either that or quit playing gogogogogogo Inferno 16 hours a day and slow down to look at the screen for a few minutes. 

You grossly exaggerate the level of blood and gore in the game. Body parts occasionally do fall to the ground, with a tiny splat of blood and minimal details. Additionally, Maghda doesn't even fit thr game. Expectation: Game of Thrones. Reality: Power Rangers. Like I said, it's supposed to be horror ala the Doom series. Lord of Terror? My ass!

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

In the halls of agony there is a dead body on some crazy grinding thing and when you hit it it literally grinds the lower half of the body.  It's pretty cool.

Originally posted by Arawulf

In the halls of agony there is a dead body on some crazy grinding thing and when you hit it it literally grinds the lower half of the body.  It's pretty cool.

Filed under: too little. Additionally, the STORY of D3 has no mature content in it, at all.

• scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

go play manhunt or mad world if slaughtering demons into little pieces is not enough for your blood lust

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

What?

When my wizard uses one of her abilities, ememies are diced into 5 pieces and their limbs and heads go flying all over.

When my monk does a strong punch he literely punches the skin off the enemy and a bloody skeleton goes flying off the screen.

Right before you kill the butcher there's torturing devices where a fat corpse gets grinded up in a wheel and there's buckets of heads that you can hit that cause little heads to go flying all over the place.

In the beginning of act 2 there's dozens of impaled bodies all over the screen and in general THERE'S DEAD BLOODY CORPSES ALL OVER THE WHOLE DAMN GAME.

Go watch some snuff films or something man cause you seem to need a bigger fix.

Either that or quit playing gogogogogogo Inferno 16 hours a day and slow down to look at the screen for a few minutes.

You grossly exaggerate the level of blood and gore in the game. Body parts occasionally do fall to the ground, with a tiny splat of blood and minimal details. Additionally, Maghda doesn't even fit thr game. Expectation: Game of Thrones. Reality: Power Rangers. Like I said, it's supposed to be horror ala the Doom series. Lord of Terror? My ass!

What? Are you even looking at the environments as you pass through them? The poster you responded to actually listed things of which I can verify, every single one of them, with screen shots.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

What? When my wizard uses one of her abilities, ememies are diced into 5 pieces and their limbs and heads go flying all over. When my monk does a strong punch he literely punches the skin off the enemy and a bloody skeleton goes flying off the screen. Right before you kill the butcher there's torturing devices where a fat corpse gets grinded up in a wheel and there's buckets of heads that you can hit that cause little heads to go flying all over the place. In the beginning of act 2 there's dozens of impaled bodies all over the screen and in general THERE'S DEAD BLOODY CORPSES ALL OVER THE WHOLE DAMN GAME.     Go watch some snuff films or something man cause you seem to need a bigger fix.   Either that or quit playing gogogogogogo Inferno 16 hours a day and slow down to look at the screen for a few minutes.  

What? Are you even looking at the environments as you pass through them? The poster you responded to actually listed things of which I can verify, every single one of them, with screen shots.

You mean the Scooby Doo environments? Sorry, but a kid's cartoon does not scare me... I mean, zoinks, dude...

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

You're kidding, right? Sometimes when my barbarian kills people, they are hit so hard that all the flesh blasts off, leaving a large bloody smear on the ground and sending the skeleton flying. There are dead bodies all over the place, decapitations galore, large enemies which either explode, fall apart, or both when killed, bloated corpses which burst (with a really nasty sound effect) when clicked, somewhat graphic depictions of torture and torture devices, bodies cut up and hanging from hooks or pinned to walls, succubi with their tits hanging out, and more gushing blood than a group of emo haemophiliacs.

In short, what the fuck else do you want man?!? Hardcore daemon on angel action? I'm sure there's a hentai out there for ya, but Blizzard isn't that kind of company.

If this isn't violent enough for you, then you've got some issues.

Edit: This game is far, FAR bloodier than D1. I think you need your eyes checked.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

"My" version of Diablo 3 has heads and blood everywhere...

Whimshire (spelling) lets you kill unicorns and carebears... And blood splatters all of the place.  Bear heads pop off and go flying multiple screens away often...

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    The monk ability that places a dot on mobs and causes them to explode with the rune that causes it to be fire that spreads to other mobs and causes them to explode is pretty m rated.

They freaking spray blood everywhere and leave a huge splatter of blood on the ground in place of their body. Then it spreads and all sorts of demons and crap exploding are all over the place.

Couple that with the unicorns and Teddy bears in the secret level and you have a pretty disturbing sight.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

It's not the worst game I've ever played, but it still deserves an M rating just for the lore behind it, and some of the mobs do die pretty gruesome deaths.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

The "gore" people are talking about is not very impressive to me.

Well i'm sorry if the "gore" wasn't impressive to you, but why don't you take your thumb out of your ass and realize its still gore. 

• JaylanonyousJaylanonyous Member Posts: 31

Meh the game has its gore but its not horror, scary gore. When i was younger D1 Scared me. D2 was fun and some parts I hesitated because a boss came running out randomly. D3 feels like a top down WoW.  It has its blood but thats it. Not even trying to be scary.