Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Inaugural Subscription Discounts Extended

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Due to a glitch in the subscription system, En Masse Entertainment has announced that players will have an additional month to choose the inaugural subscription plan. The original end date to opt for this plan was May 31st but En Masse has now extended the opportunity through June.

If you subscribe to TERA by 11:59 p.m. PDT on June 30, you will receive the discounted rate—up to 40 percent off the regular subscription price—for as long as you remain subscribed to that specific plan.

Read the full announcement on the TERA page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

The game is just a month old and they already offer discounted loyality subscriptions like this.

Not a good sign.

Harbinger of Fools
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Dakeru

The game is just a month old and they already offer discounted loyality subscriptions like this.

Not a good sign.

Rift had the same plan. It certainly didn't hurt them.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Think it makes sense for them to try something like this. All new mmo's seem to have a big drop off in subs after the first month. I think this plan is trying to keep hold of some them rather than a sign that the sky is falling.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Not a good sign.

Why do people look at games in such a shallow way like this? This is a pay to play game and its very smart to offer discounts and deals.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Mannish

Not a good sign.

Why do people look at games in such a shallow way like this? This is a pay to play game and its very smart to offer discounts and deals.

The fact that the discount offer has been "extended" is what makes it notable, not the fact that  discounts were initially offered.

If there was a substantial take-up of the discount sub offer before the "closing date", would they have extended the closing date ?

Or are they just being greedy ?

Or is it just normal marketing tactics ?

As usual, people will believe whatever they choose to believe :D

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This game will be f2p before the year is out, I and a lot of others will try it then.  Just not worth a purchase and sub price IMO.  This game has less content than SWTOR and it did not make it 6 months without empty servers.

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    I wonder why mmorpg.com didngt report news about their latest patch? I wanted to hear what everyone here thinks about the new dungeon
  • Mage_FrancisMage_Francis Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

This game will be f2p before the year is out, I and a lot of others will try it then.  Just not worth a purchase and sub price IMO.  This game has less content than SWTOR and it did not make it 6 months without empty servers.

No, after a month SWTOR had less content and most of it didn't even work.  They didn't even have the casting animation/engine issue fixed after a month and lack of polish was staggeringly bad.  

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Not a good sign.

JFC image. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

With so many games going B2P or F2P, for a heavy P2P game like TERA this is a great incentive for people who were already on the fence over the sub fee.

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Mannish

Not a good sign.

The fact that the discount offer has been "extended" is what makes it notable, not the fact that  discounts were initially offered.

If there was a substantial take-up of the discount sub offer before the "closing date", would they have extended the closing date ?

Or are they just being greedy ?

Or is it just normal marketing tactics ?

As usual, people will believe whatever they choose to believe :D

The extension was made because there was a problem in their system that prevented people from changing sub plans. They are not extending it because of lack of interest or "take-up".  It's all there in the OP.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Not a good sign.

With so many games going B2P or F2P, for a heavy P2P game like TERA this is a great incentive for people who were already on the fence over the sub fee.

Ok I agree to that one. However it makes me wonder why AAA MMOs still try to get around with a subscription.

Just now a new OZ Online server opened. Since none of you will know this game. It's a silly 10 year old socializing mmo with no point other than to talk and fish together. And yet it's a success in its own way. Why? Because there are several people paying for the cosmetics in the cash shop. I had friends who would pay 300$ a month for fancy fishing rods and dresses.

If a niche game like this can make a single person pay as much as 20 subscription fees would cost - then how much could a AAA MMO grab through a cash shop?

Harbinger of Fools
  • SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

They offer $15 subs because in the past that is what the players would pay. Players aren't willing to pay that $15 sub fee anymore. Not with the AAA games out there that are free to play. Why pay a sub for Tera when Aion is free to play and has more to do.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

They offer $15 subs because in the past that is what the players would pay. Players aren't willing to pay that $15 sub fee anymore. Not with the AAA games out there that are free to play. Why pay a sub for Tera when Aion is free to play and has more to do.

Speak for yourself. The majority of F2P games are P2win games as well with very very few exceptions.

Not to mention they end up being much more expensive in the long run than their P2P counterparts. Why do you think exactly companies are on the frenzy of converting lately? Because the model is cheaper?

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874
    Originally posted by NBlitz

Not a good sign.

An incentive for people who on are then fence would be to lower the monthly sub fee, not the 3 month or 6 month sub. 

• lumbardilumbardi Member UncommonPosts: 3

The reason it was extended was because once you chose your subscription, (I chose a one month during betas so i could test it out), you couldnt change it even if you wanted to.  I contacted their customer service several times to try and get it fixed and they said it was going to be but it never was. So they are working on adjusting your plan so I can prepurchase a year, yes a year, because this game is fantastic despite the same old quests. So for all you guild war 2 fanboys trolling this forum, it is a good sign, because it shows loyalty to their customer base, something which other mmo's seem to be lacking in.