Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Conquest Preview and Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Trion Worlds revealed some of the first information about Rift's upcoming 3-faction PvP called "Conquest" and hosted an event on the public test server. We've got a preview of that event and some thoughts to share about Conquest. Read on!

Rift’s Conquest has me very excited. I’ll admit it. I’m a Trion fan and I’m not ashamed of it. I believe Trion served to raise the standard on how a Triple-A MMO should be released in this decade when it launched Rift. I’m not a Fanboi though and will acknowledge their short comings with Rift on launch. The account security issue was very frustrating on release. I did not personally have my account compromised but I knew a few people that did. Trion did manage to rise above though and their customer service came through. Because I had a ticket open with customer service and was not answered in less than 24 hours I was awarded a full set of resistance runes and a free month of game play. Bravo Trion. They also run a great veteran’s rewards program which I am a huge proponent of.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Rift: Conquest Preview and Impressions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

one thing that for me stood out in this game was the chronicles..if they introduced a load of them in-game i would go back in a heartbeat..me and the wife loved doin those together,if anyone knows how many chronicles there are please let me know..last time i played they only had 3 if i remember correctly.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm a RiFT  fan also and think although they have done a few things wrong in RiFT but the vast majority of things have been done right and Trion always impresses with the sheer commitment to the game and players.

With so many cool things to do in RiFT and the anticipation of a forthcoming expansion, its really a great time to check the game out again. 

1.9 is set to be a pretty nice patch but it makes you wonder what they can possibly add next as they seem to have added so much content and systems to the game since launch now theres little left they can add (well maybe except housing! ).

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

TBH I was praising the game and it's changes when I re-subbed for the past 4 months, but Trion has pushed me away and I can no longer recommend this game to anyone that follows Lore. First the mercenary PvP additioin killed the immersion for me and now this? Doesn't seem right for real RPG and lore gamers. I've unsubbed and uninstalled. Great game otherwise. One of the best I played.

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

I never been fond of rift´s lore. Found it uninspired.

However I think its a great game, the graphics, sounds, zones, music.... I really like rift and trion, there are so many things to do in game that sometimes I feel overwhelmed.

You know a game with a wonderful lore? Warhammer online.....

We all know what happened right?

• MesfenlirMesfenlir Member Posts: 208

Oh, sorry!!

I forgot about swtor, also great lore but....

Well I know you are getting the point.

I played lotro but never felt in love cos the scarce pvp.

That game could have been great if open pvp was allowed.

Sadly lore won so lotro´s pvp is fail.

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

Rift is a bunch of namby pambies. I love the game, but they are too soft on cheaters and too hard on people having a good time.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

Hmmm.. I thought conquest was going to be persistant PvP.. But it's still essentially a match with winning coniditions?

Bleh. I suppose the fact that it's 3 sided is interesting, but I was hoping for an area with more permenant implicaitons, such as RvR zones in DAoC.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Drealgrin

Rift is a bunch of namby pambies. I love the game, but they are too soft on cheaters and too hard on people having a good time.

that makes zero sense. What cheaters, and what were they hard on. 

Do people just have to be negative to be negative? Does it make their day?

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by kevjards

they only had 3 if i remember correctly.

You do.

They have since added in a fourth.  River of Souls.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I can't believe I'm saying this, but that looked horrible.

One of the worst features, I felt, in the game was PvP rifts; which rarely ever consisted of doing any pvp, and I played on a pvp server. 

This looks like they created an instanced zone and used an element of pvp rifts.  I watched almost an hours worth of standing around beating on static objects.  I know there's more to it then that, and that it's only the test server, but I can't help but feel like it's not going to be to much more then that.

Trion's a great company, and in my opinion rift is the best themepark mmo available.  That was rather dissapointing though.

I feel like I've become really cynical lately. 

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by kevjards

they only had 3 if i remember correctly.

You do.

They have since added in a fourth

• ValhalidValhalid Member UncommonPosts: 25

I played Rift on release. My initial impression was that this game was exceptionaly boring and bland.  I have heard really good things about Rift, and a co-worker of mine is an avid player. Looking at release 1.9 I don't see anything that looks outstanding or revolutionary and yet thats is all I hear about this. What is the big draw to this game? Why do people think these guys are on the bleeding edge of MMO technology or advancement? I promise not to put your opinion down, IM just really trying to understand whay a game I ditched after 2 weeks has such a good review... Thanks in advance.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

@Valhalid For me a lot of it has to do with the company behind the game.  They have released enough content that they could have called it an expansion, and they did it within a year.  They game has only been out for about 15 months and they are about to release their 9th major patch and each one has had pretty substantial changes.  

They have also strived to give the players what they have asked for.  The first few raids were not that difficult but HK came out and changed that.  They probably made it a little to hard.  They also added in miniature two man version of these instances called chronicles so not just the top 10%, or the raiding crowd, was able to see the art and the lore these instances offered.

They made Rifts and they were dynamic.  Have they grown a little predictable?  Absolutely, but they are still creating new types on a pretty frequent basis and trying to push what they can do with this mechanic each time.

At first the ability to mix and match souls was very unique.  You had abilities you earned in the roots of the trees as well as abilities you earn as you pick skills.  People were able to make cookie cutters just like any game but you do not have to play that way.

It is not a perfect game.  I was never a huge fan of the art style for armor.  It is getting better though and I did like the new 1.9 concept art for the PvP sets.  

Just like any game Rift isn't going to appeal to everyone.  I'm sorry that you didn't like it.  I took a break for a few months and I'm just now starting to get back into it myself.  I enjoy the product Trion has made and appreciate the effort they are putting into making a quality game.  To many companies out there just want to fleece you for everything they can.  Trion let's you server transfer for free once a week.  I think that speaks volumes for their character.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Coldren

Hmmm.. I thought conquest was going to be persistant PvP.. But it's still essentially a match with winning coniditions?

Bleh. I suppose the fact that it's 3 sided is interesting, but I was hoping for an area with more permenant implicaitons, such as RvR zones in DAoC.

Sadly, it's still miles from Dark Age of Camelot as you and I both know - along with any other DAoC raider.  It's a nice effort since most developers basically drool when they hear terms like, "in depth," and "political variation," and, "no mirrored classes," and of course, "three factions."

Daoc = 44 classes and 24 races, uniquely different between three totally unique realms that each have their own pve end game unique to their culture, i.e., Norse Mythos vs Arthurian Mythos vs Celtic Mythos - I mean how epic is that in comparison to this very weak attempt to compete with GW2 on Rift's part?  Sigh.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Grakulen

Trion let's you server transfer for free once a week.  I think that speaks volumes for their character.

The free server transfer thing was Trion's attempt to not have to merge/close servers.   They arent the first company to allow free server transfers due to population issues, but they decided to make it permanent (it is good PR after all).  But they do things like this out of necessity, not because they are some amazing company.  Their strongest asset as a company isnt that they are the hardest workers or they do the most for their customers, its that they are master manipulators.  THREE FACTION OPEN WORLD PVP.   No, its a 3 team warfront.  PLAYERS HAVE ASKED FOR THIS SINCE LAUNCH.  yeah, there have been a few, but the predominant desire was for meaningful open world PvP between defiants and guardians.  The people wanting three faction PvP have said Trion should add a faction, which is not what they did.  They made a persistent meaningful wish into a minigame.  A fun  minigame, but they hype it up to be something it really isnt because of the buzz certain phrases draw.  Manipulation.  And lots of people fall for it.

Trion does a lot of things right and are still one of the better companies out there (they do have a very good customer service team for one), but they arent angelic like people make them out to be.  

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I think the 3 faction pvp layered over the 2 faction world looks like  a fascinating way to set up an MMO.  I dont play Rift, but it intrigues me greatly.  Those people have my props, and I'd love for a less themepark type of game to play with them behind it.  They are good people!

Originally posted by Thupli

I think the 3 faction pvp layered over the 2 faction world looks like  a fascinating way to set up an MMO.  I dont play Rift, but it intrigues me greatly.  Those people have my props, and I'd love for a less themepark type of game to play with them behind it.  They are good people!

Its not layered over the world, its an alternate dimension sort of thing.  Stepping through the wardrobe into narniatelara makes bitter enemies forget they are enemies and join one of the three teams in a world they care nothing about and has no bearing on their world.  

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    For people complaining for open world pvp and not this warfront style....why would groom invest a lot in open world pvp content? Most of the people play on pve servers. Same as wow. The open world pvp crowd is small compared to the pve with controlled pvp crowd.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Thupli

Its not layered over the world, its an alternate dimension sort of thing.  Stepping through the wardrobe into narniatelara makes bitter enemies forget they are enemies and join one of the three teams in a world they care nothing about and has no bearing on their world.  

I do realize that, but having a 2 faction world and 3 faction pvp in the same game is pretty cool.

• 100PERCENT100PERCENT Member Posts: 35

OK, but you gear is bad.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

this armor looks like it belongs in starwars more then the starwars the old republic armor sets do

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161

As someone who likes lore and rp, I'm actually pretty charmed by the "glimpse into an alternate world" aspect. The game already plays around with time and elemental planes, so this isn't that much of a jump. I'll be more sold on it though, if the conflicting ideals of the three factions begin to slip into the regular PVE text and NPCs later, as the game's story progresses. I think it would definitely add a layer of depth to Guardians, Defiants, and the concept of Ascended as a whole.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Rift is the best EQ clone that isn't named World of Warcraft on the market.

THey should be proud of that many games tried to do what Rift did and hardly have enough community left to fill 1 large pop server.

These changes look like they will bring thousands of people back to Rift, while I am not one of them I wish Trion luck with the new direction they're taking the pvp in their game. Hopefully they can avoid the same fate of the other games that followed traditional EQ type gameplay and failed.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Coldren

Yep same. Was tempted to resub for the 3 way persistant PvP, but finding out that it is just another battleground has dampened my enthusiasm. I guess I will just stick with other games until GW2 comes out.