Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll - What kind of genre do you want to RP in the most

ArshoonArshoon Member UncommonPosts: 71

With the advent of Kickstarter.com and the fact that the RP community STILL has no MMORPG dedicated to it, I was curious as the the direction I should go in persuing the creation of a role-play-centric online world. If such a game actually got made, what genre would you prefer?This would be a game made by a role-player, for role-players.

The genres don't assume any specific culture as a focus (i.e,. western Europe vs the orient)

If you aren't actively part of the solution, you have no right to complain about anything.

Comments

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

What I'm convinced really needs to exist is a SteamPunk themed MMO. Its flexible, imaginative, and would overall be a blast to try and roleplay in.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

What I'm convinced really needs to exist is a SteamPunk themed MMO. Its flexible, imaginative, and would overall be a blast to try and roleplay in.

Sign me up :)

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I prefer fantasy. Though, the way superhero games handle things is starting to grow on me as they tend to leave things open enough to accomodate many different genres at the same time.

• CamthylionCamthylion Member UncommonPosts: 220

I would pre-order and live on a game like Dark Age of Camelot 2...  Take that concept and build on it, more features, little more sandbox...  freaking mythic were douchebags for not making DAOC 2.  I have been waiting on that game for a lonnnng time, when something is working right, don't change it. Warhammer Online = nothing compared to the launch and the first few years of Camelot. 

The game has the perfect RP enviroment and the races/classes everything is really perfect down to the tiny bits of lore.  You know its just to bad idiot mythic wasted their time and OURS on Warhammer Online. :(

• ArshoonArshoon Member UncommonPosts: 71

My vision is a world rich in back story, but set in a place of the world where the players shape the events (i.e. a new land). There would be terraforming, enforced RP that was community and staff monitored and events run by special GMs called Storytellers, player-made and run settlements and a rich and engaging crafting system where players could even submit content such as new clothing styles (the thoughts would be to have a design screen pop up when your character gets to a Master level of skil)l.

The world would be done with voxel technology, allowing a full 3-dimensinal world where one could mine and shape the land as they saw fit coupled with realistic character and creature models. Everything would be done with a sense of realism in mind, a true environment to lose yourself in for hours, immersed in the world around you. Lastly, a minimalistic GUI, with things like time in the world told by sundails in game, or maps your character makes as they explore.

Just some ideas and thoughts of what I'd like. The Steampunk genre would be a fantastic setting, coupled with rich fantasy elements. Done right, the world would have a wonder waiting around every corner without technology making things too "modern" (A thought of a steampunk style Eberron world came to mind, melding magic with the clockworlk and steam era). 

If you aren't actively part of the solution, you have no right to complain about anything.

• LiancaLianca Member Posts: 10
    I'm a big fan of the medieval fantasy, but properly done steampunk, perhaps Victorianesque era could be really fun if done well. Thinking clockwork but not electronic. If it goes the electronic route it ends up merging into modern, and that just isn't quite as fun!
  • MisterpuppyMisterpuppy Member Posts: 18
    While my personal experience may differ from yours, I seldom see successful RP on a large scale in games other than fantasy games with strong, universally famliar lore. WoW and LOTR for instance had very successful RP servers,guilds, and participation, at least early on, I don't know about recently. While I never really understood how RP would really work successfully in a game like SWTOR. It seemed to be missing both strong lore (not a movie story) and the feeling that you lived there. You seemed like an observer, not a resident. Even Rift , though a fantasy game with what would seem to be all the necessary components seemed to lack that special feeling of belonging, and the Lore never seemed compelling. Good game though.

Don't be a Menace to MMORPG While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.

• lsomblsomb Member Posts: 4
    My personal experience is mainly with traditional fantasy, and I currently only play a couple of fantasy text MMORPGs. But breaking aside from what I'm familiar with, I'd love to see a gritty post-apocalyptic low sci-fi MUD, maybe with a bit of steampunk thrown in. Mutants, wasteland, wandering with a focus on survival, less on hack'n'slash... -swoon-.
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Tough call.

Grew up playing AD&D 2nd edition, so I'd have to go with something along that line, yet a world like Shadowrun would be epic and easier to RP for those who may want something a bit more relevant. 

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

True world fantasy more in the vein of Vanguard where there are different cultures, especially the humans. I am so tired of fantasy worlds that are nothing but "Planet European". A friend of mine's custom D&D world is the best ive ever seen. It has all the stuff we love, elves, dwarves, etc. but its also filled with the same cultures or equivalents of the ones from earth with their myths included. One moment you could be fighting Wendigo in the French Canadian/Inuit areas, to fighting side by side with Paladin-Warrior Monks that use Capoiera in the Brazilian area fighting demons to dealing with the undead in Germany to fighting mummies in Egypt. The world is pure sword and sorcery with flying airships and such as well and its purely fantasy/almost victorian age era.

Honestly its the best damn fantasy world ive ever seen in my life because its so inclusive. And being an african american gamer inclusivity is what matters to me most. I wanna fight russian demons/wendigo/chinese vampires that hop/chupacabras/african evil witch doctors/european vampires all on the same world with magic and sorcery and swords and flying steam powered ships that are made by dwarves.

And I want to explore places that feel vastly different from one another, not just reskinned places. And I want to be able to pick from many different races of humans.

Another series of rpgs that does the "multiethnic thing" right is the Elder Scrolls Series. GW1 did this right as well. GW2 I can't stand when humans get that "we are all under one banner" trash (and the banner is under the home of the "Euro-opolis banner).

Give me multiple starting areas like vanguard, multiple human factions/countries like GW1 and Elder Scrolls. Give me cool kick ass elves and dwarves that's hearts are as hard as rock and goblins that are crazy pigmy cannibals that attack like army ants. Give me Incredible vistas with flying Kukolan Dragons in the psuedo "mexico" areas and evil chinese wind dragons to fight over the skies of the asian area. I wanna run into the Fenris Wolf and have one of the bosses be the Midguard Serpent. I want to be able to have a phoenix as a mount at endgame and fight in a world defining three day battle on my phoenix next to the guy riding the Thunderhawk as the entire server teams up to fight off your psuedo Cthulu giant monster demon squid over the equivalent to the Marianas Trench, and have a team of GM's controlling the bad guys.

Make the world feel goddamned epic I say, and that is the world I would spend 50 dollars a month to play in and rp in.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Faires6Faires6 Member Posts: 14

I'd love to see a Stone-Aged MMO - PVP-System xDD

Like: Who's got the better rocks in battle and the finest monkey-cloaks :D

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

I like the setting Maquiame described, and something that sorta goes along with it is the Witcher universe. Dwarves and elves are second-class citizens, with a faction of the elves turning to guerilla terrorism. Humans are all vile too, with this side wanting to screw that side over with all the backstabbing and treachery of a GRR Martin tale. It blends in elements of fairytales and turns them on their heads (Snow White was an assassin and the dwarves her henchmen, for instance). It's high fantasy but with the conventions screwed up and realworld folklore thrown in for good measure. Would love to see it on an MMO scale.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well sci-fi and fantasy even more so has been done to death..

So i voted for western i would be really hyped for a western sandbox mmo i think it would be awesome :) tho it looks like im in the minority LOL

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

forget star wars, or startrek, i'd like to see some real 'space opera' type MMO, if only the Traveller universe was more popular image

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517

I went with fantasy as really most games in mmos are atleast partial fantasy based, with only really sci-fi styles being the execptions. Though in truth i want a genre/style much more like the gothic dark fantasy of a ravenloft, dark sun, wod, or H.P. Lovecraftian style trully right now. Though a game setting/genre that would go closer to the vampire hunter D or trinity blood setting/style would be great ass well. Also settings like firefly, Tekkaman blade, casshan, stargate, and such would be interesting too. Though the one true setting i want is a good transformer setting that would actually do it justice with alot of good reasons for the war and to fight in it, or taking place before the waar happened.

• kolamerkolamer Member Posts: 4

I dont know why, but I find it a lot easier to RP in a fantasy based setting than anything else.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

That would be a nice change for once. But, in the end, it those not matter what setting would that mmo be, only important thing is, that it would be a "real" RP mmorpg world. Just that, for once.

• Chaos_AmunetChaos_Amunet Member Posts: 9
    I can play anything as long as there are cutthroat politics, but I prefer roleplay with a "period" feel - either high fantasy, or something set in the medieval, renaissance, baroque, regency, or victorian eras. I'm not a big fan of modern or futuristic roleplay, though I've had a bit of fun doing modern pen-and-paper in the White Wolf franchise, and with a couple of Star Wars MMOs. My enjoyment of a game is really dependent upon the quality of my fellow players, especially my character's adversaries. I love having a good enemy.
  • nemurubakaaaanemurubakaaaa Member Posts: 3

I'm fed up with fantasy focus themes. I like to see a game which is oriental. NO MAGIC.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Tough choice, in my opinion they all have potential.

I eventually wound up voting on "Modern" though, I had a great time RPing on City of Heroes, especially once the Mission Architect system was added, allowing players to write, design and play their own created missions - the closest I've ever seen an MMO come to Neverwinter Night's beloved DM client.

Not to mention, World of Darkness also fits into the Modern category.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/