Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You lost me at Hero Engine

Comments

• DissolutionDissolution Member Posts: 210

I do not know how TESO will pan out, but to say that the game will be a failure based solely on the use of The Hero Engine is akin to saying that because I do not like powdered donuts it was the doughs fault. Or that because at one restaurant their spaghetti made me vomit, that no restaurant can make good spaghetti because they are using the same noodles.

SWTOR's failures were based on developmental and creative ideas along with poor decision making as far as class balancing for PVP and improperly used instancing which destroyed any chance for an immersive environment, Among other things that did not have anything to do with the engine.

A good example given prior was Vanguard. I have come to enjoy that game immensely. However the use of the Unreal engine in Vanguard and its use in other games has had a dramatically different outcome. Even with the same engine, overtime and with attention they have been able to transfrom the game into a different gaming experience.

If TESO fails, I honestly doubt it will be based exclusively on the use of the Hero Engine but because of their vision of what to do with the TES IP in the MMO genre.

SWTOR could have been an entirely different game given a few different key creative decisions.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

The Hro Engine is just awful for mmos. TOR looked so bad with it. They must have got a lease discount or something to use the Hero Engine because if anything I personally like CryEngine 3 so much better.

CryEngine 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TtgW20IEm0 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

Already, you can read between the lines and see they're using the same cash-cow, money grab mentallity that killed SW:TOR. 

Key terms to look for:

We want everyone to have a good 'gaming experiance' (which means it not a real mmo, nor single player). Trying to please everyone pleases no one.

"No Player Housing"

"PvP" (This should not be a 1st priority in TES)

etc,...

Another "cartoon" 'gaming experiance' is on its way.

.adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}
    .adslot-overlay {position: absolute; font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.65); border: 2px solid rgba(0,0,0,0.65); color: white !important; margin: 0; 2147483647; text-decoration: none; box-sizing: border-box; text-align: left;}.adslot-overlay-iframed {top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; bottom: 0;}.slotname {position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 13px; font-weight: bold; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertical-align: middle; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); text-overflow: ellipsis; white-space: nowrap; overflow: hidden;}.slotname span {text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-transform: capitalize;}.revenue {position: absolute; bottom: 0; left: 0; right: 0; font-size: 11px; padding: 3px 0 3px 6px; vertial-align: middle; text-align: left; background-color: rgba(0,0,0,0.45); font-weight: bold; text-overflow: ellipsis; overflow: hidden; white-space: nowrap;}.revenue .name {color: #ccc;}.revenue .horizontal .metric {display: inline-block; padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .horizontal .name {padding-right: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .metric {display: block; line-height: 1.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em;}.revenue .vertical .name, .revenue .vertical .value {display: block;}.revenue .square .metric, .revenue .button .metric {display: table-row;}.revenue .square .metric {line-height: 1.5em;}.revenue .square .name, .revenue .square .value, .revenue .button .value {display: table-cell;}.revenue .square .name {padding-right: 1.5em;}.revenue .button .name {display: block; margin-right: 0.5em; width: 1em; overflow: hidden; text-overflow: clip;}.revenue .button .name:first-letter {margin-right: 1.5em;}a.adslot-overlay:hover {border: 2px solid rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}a.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(81,132,210,0.9); background-color: rgba(58,106,173,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover {cursor: not-allowed; border: 2px solid rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .slotname {border-bottom: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}div.adslot-overlay:hover .revenue {border-top: 1px solid rgba(128,128,128,0.9); background-color: rgba(64,64,64,0.9);}

I tend to agree. It feels like the same key phrases indeed. So sad. I mean, we know little, so I gonna wait and see. But it feels so like SWTOR 2.0

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Pezant1973Pezant1973 Member UncommonPosts: 8

Not sure if this has been posted yet but it sounds like after reading this post there not using the Hero Engine for the ESO game.

http://n4g.com/news/1004584/why-the-elder-scrolls-online-isnt-using-heroengine

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Pezant1973

Not sure if this has been posted yet but it sounds like after reading this post there not using the Hero Engine for the ESO game.

Anyone else notice the multitude of New Accounts created and replying for the fist time in a TESO related thread.

90% of them throwing nothing but positive and incredibley bias, comments concerning anything to do with the game?

Viral Marketers hard at work?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Anyone else notice the multitude of New Accounts created and replying for the fist time in a TESO related thread.

90% of them throwing nothing but positive and incredibley bias, comments concerning anything to do with the game?

You've spent a ton of time trying to market this game to fail, you're just not getting paid for it. (or are you?) People often create new accounts for a new game that was just announced. I did.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

There are many reasons to not like what has ben presented so far about this game, but the engine seems off. We havn'tseen it in action properly yet.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by wartyxwt

There are many reasons to not like what has ben presented so far about this game, but the engine seems off. We havn'tseen it in action properly yet.

The engine seems off? Based on the 5 screenshots you've seen? We know nothing about this engine as of yet.

And btw, the SS's I've seen don't look anything like the Screenies from SWTOR, or any other HeroEngine game, so it makes a lot of sense to me.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

You do realise that the person you are replying to created their account in 2004 yeah?

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

Originally posted by Qallidexz

You've spent a ton of time trying to market this game to fail, you're just not getting paid for it. (or are you?) People often create new accounts for a new game that was just announced. I did.

You spend an awful lot of time following me around quoting my posts and then telling my my opinion is wrong.

Why do you care about what I have to say so much?

Stalker?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT

Originally posted by Silverbarr

You do realise that the person you are replying to created their account in 2004 yeah?

M

LOL

You know I didnt notice the join date, only the 1 post count.

He made an account 8 years ago and just now decided to post for the first time?

weird

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by castamir11

Don't they see what limitations this engine has shown in SWTOR? 

Can you provide some examples and elaboration about those engine related limitations?

Thak you and I agree.

Regardless of one's opinion of SWToR the game runs rather well on my machine.

the only thing I can think of is limiting the amount of players on the screen for large battles? but then, will TESO actually have massive battles or just battlegrounds?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Sovrath

the only thing I can think of is limiting the amount of players on the screen for large battles? but then, will TESO actually have massive battles or just battlegrounds?

The true issue is bandwidth. Bandwidth requirements increase exponentially with people on grid and no engine or programming language can help it.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

Bioware bought the HeroEngine when it was not close to complete. HeroEngine told them it would not be a good idea, and recommended not to do it. This article is on HeroEngine.com blog page from one of the owners of HeroEngine, Neil Harris. Also was not posted any time recnetly so they are not trying to cover up anything. This thread contains zero facts and is all speculation. Hero is a great engine just because Bioware set out to make a WOW clone with cutscenes and failed has nothing to do with Hero's strengths and weaknesses. Get your facts straight OP.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428

the game isnt using the hero engine

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by fascism

the game isnt using the hero engine

You know, I should probably be taking my own advice and not even be posting on ESO as its already a worn subject for me, but im sorry I have to comment on how hypocritical everyone on the opposition in this thread has been. 

So lets see here, since I posted this thread, all I got from the Pro-ESO crowd was, "You have no proof the hero engine sucks!", even though another poster listed the many games that have already failed that used the hero engine. And you know what thats a somewhat valid point, maybe because all those developers (With the HUGE exception of TOR) were indie devs and had little to no experiance, thats why all their games failed and its not the Hero Engines fault at all.

But this above post right here is why im so pissed right now (Not at the poster just its content). So you mean to tell me, everyone on this thread has been die hard defending the hero engine as a great engine with no veritable proof that its inadequete to stand on its own feet in the triple AAA MMO market, and what??? ZENIMAX ISNT EVEN USING THE HERO ENGINE!?!?

So Zenimax outright says that they wont be using the hero engine because they are trying to make "A world class MMO", and that the hero engine is more something you would use as a templete rather than a full game engine.

So Please, Defenders of ESO/Hero Engine, flock back and explain to me how you can defend both the game engine (That the devs wont be using because even they claim its a poor way to make a triple A MMO) and ESO at the same time???

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

We are all adept programmers, engineers and architects who specialize in game engines.

Also, i'm trying to drive this nail in to my skull but it hurts. This nail sucks and i'll never recomend it to anyone.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Silverbarr

M

LOL

You know I didnt notice the join date, only the 1 post count.

He made an account 8 years ago and just now decided to post for the first time?

weird

So? look at my join date...I joined to get a beta promotion code and didnt come back for a year...for another code. Only had around a dozen posts up until late last year.

No rules state you have to post in the forums to become a member.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Could someone specifically list the actual problems the hero engine has caused in SWToR?

Are there collision issues?

Are there ai issues?

Are there animation or sound issues specifically attributable to the engine?

And if so what are the specifics.

I have seen nothing in SWToR that makes me think the engine is the problem, so I'm wondering, specifically what I'm missing.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Could someone specifically list the actual problems the hero engine has caused in SWToR?

Are there collision issues?

Are there ai issues?

Are there animation or sound issues specifically attributable to the engine?

And if so what are the specifics.

I have seen nothing in SWToR that makes me think the engine is the problem, so I'm wondering, specifically what I'm missing.

Skyrim was very lifelike and detailed while the Hero engine was very "cartoonish" I guess or as SWTOR was termed "Plastic Legoland" or something like that.  It was very bland imo and there could have been tremendous improvements.  Even WoW had better graphic details imo or at least gave it a run for it's money which is pretty sad considering how old WoW is and that they lower their sights of quality in order for a wider consumer audiance.

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46

Let's say it one more time:

Zenimax is using an in-house engine built from the ground up for this game.  They are NOT using Hero Engine.

For the record:  I have never been pro hero engine.  I have been pro-Zenimax.  The only thing I said in their defense when we thought they were using HE was that we should give them a chance to show us what they could do with it.  The only evidence we had in the past of HE sucking was how badly Bioware used it.

That said, I'm very glad that ZOS is making their own engine built for this game because they will know it inside and out, and there won't be any extra bits slowing down and clunking up performance.

I'm pretty stoked that ZOS is pro enough to do this.  Kinda makes you wonder what Bioware did with those hundreds of millions.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

You lost me at "Comfortable for MMO players".

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• RophezRophez Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Oh, so you are one of those guys who would make a new car with a triangular steering wheel or something?  Maybe put the lane change signal in the glove box?

Originally posted by Rophez

Oh, so you are one of those guys who would make a new car with a triangular steering wheel or something?  Maybe put the lane change signal in the glove box?

Your analogy is a bit extreme and kinda silly.

But if you want to use it..

No one is asking for some standard part to be made weird or put in an incovenient place.

What some are asking for is NOT just another "from the factory" stock vehicle with vinyl seats, am/fm radio, steel rims with hubcaps, rubber mat flooring. etc.

We dont want a stock utility vehicle with an Elder Scrolls paintjob

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by Rophez

HELL YEAH!!!!

This discussion has been closed.