Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone seen this yet?

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/30/the-elder-scrolls-online-designers-talk-combat-and-pvp-in-a-new/#continued

There is a pretty decent youtube video in that link.  Its not well produced which makes me believe they are more honest in what they are saying.  It is different and has now got my interest in it.  

I like the concept of "finese"  Yeah its fully soloable, but that not enough to drive me away from something that still can potentially be fun.

Looking forward... cautiously.

What do you think?

Comments

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Waiting for Dawnguard, pretty much the end of that story.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Lost interest when I heard it was a third-person hotbar fan-fest.

0:22 into the video; "..elder scrolls games--the combat has.. evolved!"  Their excuse was, ES games have the mindset of "Oh--I can pause a choose new skills." Sadly, I don't see that being an excuse for losing the first person style combat that ES fans have come to love since Arena, you know, the first elder scrolls game. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

The combat didn't sound bad to me, not in the article I read or the GI interview I watched.

Then they said that depending on how well you do in combat you might be rewarded with XP or even loot. 

But it's still not a real ES game.

Maria looks like my ex; which is just depressing.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Trionicus

Waiting for Dawnguard, pretty much the end of that story.

Console love going on with that DLC, for Xbox the most. I hate consoles. Wish they never went to consoles because Skyrim could have been better. It just plays like a console game and made me wish I would of bought it for my PS3 instead, might have gotten more use out of it, skyrim and the ps3.

Great to post about the topic.

Back to OP's topic, after getting through the trash and crying

I like the finese thing they are adding, also everything they are talking about in the combat department.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Gameplay footage is the only thing that will sway me at this point.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Sora2810

0:22 into the video; "..elder scrolls games--the combat has.. evolved!"  Their excuse was, ES games have the mindset of "Oh--I can pause a choose new skills." Sadly, I don't see that being an excuse for losing the first person style combat that ES fans have come to love since Arena, you know, the first elder scrolls game. 

I hear what you are saying. But with ESO, in order to consider it, you have to let go of Skyrim first person combat.  Re-imagine ES in a third person perspective.

I see and understand the argument that its "not Elder Scrolls"  Its not.  But with that out of the way, the product they are making with the elder scrolls name still sounds interesting.  I still want to see it.

Im a combat junkie, but not a snooty one.  Just make it fun. The idea of pausing the combat brings me back to my 16bit RPGs. I dont see how that can fit in with finese but intrigued how they plan to carry this out.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

I hear what you are saying. But with ESO, in order to consider it, you have to let go of Skyrim first person combat.  Re-imagine ES in a third person perspective.

I see and understand the argument that its "not Elder Scrolls"  Its not.  But with that out of the way, the product they are making with the elder scrolls name still sounds interesting.  I still want to see it.

Im a combat junkie, but not a snooty one.  Just make it fun. The idea of pausing the combat brings me back to my 16bit RPGs. I dont see how that can fit in with finese but intrigued how they plan to carry this out.

What if they took out the Elder Scrolls name/lore? Would the game as a whole still be a good one and be a viable MMO in todays market?

Or is it going to be another generic themepark and the "Elder Scrolls" is just the hook?

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

What if they took out the Elder Scrolls name/lore? Would the game as a whole still be a good one and be a viable MMO in todays market?

Or is it going to be another generic themepark and the "Elder Scrolls" is just the hook?

That's the question.  I would bet the latter; however, I'm still interested in playing it.  I just think it's a shame that Zenimax Online didn't chose to stick closer to the series' roots.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

The combat seems very inspired from Everquest, open world/public dungeons...anyone can swing at the mob and skill up. I like that. So far this game seems to be very open, not a sandbox exactly but open. I heard talk of sieges which excites me. I haven't played an MMO that did sieges very well yet. I had high hopes for Conan, I guess DAOC would be the best and WAR totally dumbed and bored it to death. 

There are a lot of haters but I would say give it time. Most haters have been making accusations that contradict the facts that are later released. I would say I am cautiously optimistic, but excited none the less.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com