Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why.

NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Its not even a game. its a mod. This is getting ridiculas.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I'm with Niith. I voted no. Reason being? What the heck does it have to do with MMORPG.com's theme of MMO's? Been wondering the same about Diablo 3. If I wanted to go to a general gaming site, this wouldn't be the one I went to. I come here because it's about MMO's. Just my two cents.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by AliceKaye

I'm with Niith. I voted no. Reason being? What the heck does it have to do with MMORPG.com's theme of MMO's? Been wondering the same about Diablo 3. If I wanted to go to a general gaming site, this wouldn't be the one I went to. I come here because it's about MMO's. Just my two cents.

Because its MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER, which is the key here. Not only that but the vote was a landslide.

I guess since it has a persistant world, it's technically an MMO of some sort. It's freakin' weird, being a mod though. Well, whatever. In the long run it doesn't matter. I find it odd, but I also find it odd yet interesting that a mod to ARMA can be made into something like this. Pretty cool actually.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Because DayZ has a more persistant world and more actual role playing than most games listed on this site? 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

Originally posted by BigHatLogan

Because DayZ has a more persistant world and more actual role playing than most games listed on this site? 

I changed my previous statement.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Amana
    Check this thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/352457

The site has 1,598,418 members, and only after polling 120 people you added it?
    More over, i'm beginning to think this site lacks integrity..I mean you have a sister site for such games as these? why not post it there?

Originally posted by Deathenger
    Originally posted by AliceKaye I'm with Niith. I voted no. Reason being? What the heck does it have to do with MMORPG.com's theme of MMO's? Been wondering the same about Diablo 3. If I wanted to go to a general gaming site, this wouldn't be the one I went to. I come here because it's about MMO's. Just my two cents.

Because its MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER, which is the key here. Not only that but the vote was a landslide.

I think we really need to start thinking about the definitions of massive.
    Servers that can hold 100~ people are not massive in my book.

Expansive open world yes. Massively Multiplayer? No.

Hey it looks like an awesome game, I thought about picking it up the other day. But i just don't think it should be here.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ReskaillevReskaillev Member CommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Amana
    Check this thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/352457

The site has 1,598,418 members, and only after 120 polling people you added it?
    More over, i'm beginning to think this site lacks integrity..I mean you have a sister site for such games as these? why not post it there?

Originally posted by Deathenger

Originally posted by AliceKaye I'm with Niith. I voted no. Reason being? What the heck does it have to do with MMORPG.com's theme of MMO's? Been wondering the same about Diablo 3. If I wanted to go to a general gaming site, this wouldn't be the one I went to. I come here because it's about MMO's. Just my two cents.

I think we really need to start thinking about the definitions of massive.
    Servers that can hold 100~ people are not massive in my book.

Expansive open world yes. Massively Multiplayer? No.

Hey it looks like an awesome mode, I thought about picking it up the other day. But i just don't think it should be here.

Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 don't belong here as well according to your definition.....but they are still here...

Maybe mmorpg.com should post their definition of the "mmorpg"? :p

"Isn't a raid plundering villages in WoW or something like that?" - Robert Desable

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

It's a persistent world. It feels more like a mmorpg than most games on this site.

1.So only having a persistent world qualifies for an mmorpg?
    2.What have you got to support that claim.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

I don't see the issue here... honestly.  Why do people have to be so narrowminded?  Even if you don't consider it a mmorpg is it really an issue that affects you personally if they add an area for people to discuss the game? 

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261

I think it should absolutely be here. And maybe get fans of the genre who discover and enjoy this game to let devs know how a single zone persistent game like this is more mmorpg like to some of us than the drivel that has been released in the past year.

This game feels more like a mmorpg to me than TOR did for example , much more like an actual open virtual world than just a fleet hub and cutscenes and loading screens between segmented areas.

FFA , friendly fire , persistent world , perma death , mix of npc enemies and players who may or may not be enemies , etc etc makes it feel very much more like an online world than many triple AAA games in the past few years to me.

And Dayz has a real time day/night cycle and weather , apparently something that multi million dollar online games cannot pull off for some reason even though the 90's mmorpg's did.

I'd say Dayz has more true mmorpg features in fact most recent games on this site.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

1.So only having a persistent world qualifies for an mmorpg?
    2.What have you got to support that claim.

it doesn't only have a persistent world,  it has pve,pvp, crafting. loot. what else does it need to qualify as an mmo?

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Without even making an argument for it (which many here are already doing), how does this harm anyone? If you are not interested in the game, simply don't click on the link to the forum. It has little to do with "Integrity" and more to do with a spot for fans to discuss the game. I honestly believe some people will try to get on their soapbox about absolutely anything.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

This game feels more like a mmorpg to me than TOR did for example , much more like an actual open virtual world than just a fleet hub and cutscenes and loading screens between segmented areas.

FFA , friendly fire , persistent world , perma death , mix of npc enemies and players who may or may not be enemies , etc etc makes it feel very much more like an online world than many triple AAA games in the past few years to me.

I'd say Dayz has more true mmorpg features in fact most recent games on this site.

Except for the persistent world which is a must, I didn't know those others were considered true MMO features where as others are not.

It's simply a design direction. A direction that a number of people like in their games. Where as they may dislike other design directions that have been seen in the MMO genre itself.

FFA, friendly fire and perma death don't make an MMORPG, it just makes a game the kind of game that a number of sandbox fans and (MMO) gamers are craving for and would like to have in an MMO.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

It started as a mod, but its fast evolving into an MMO in its own right.

I think its well deserved of a place on MMORPG.com

Originally posted by tollbooth
    I don't see the issue here... honestly.  Why do people have to be so narrowminded?  Even if you don't consider it a mmorpg is it really an issue that affects you personally if they add an area for people to discuss the game? 
    Because I come here to look for mmorpgs. If i wanted to look for good fps mods i would go to the sister site fpsguru for that.

Originally posted by Istavaan

Originally posted by Nitth   Originally posted by BigHatLogan Because DayZ has a more persistant world and more actual role playing than most games listed on this site? 
      1.So only having a persistent world qualifies for an mmorpg? 2.What have you got to support that claim.
    it doesn't only have a persistent world,  it has pve,pvp, crafting. loot. what else does it need to qualify as an mmo?[/quote]

It needs to support a Large amount of players in a persistent world where you can role play. And it actually needs to be a game. not a mod.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

The fact that a revolutionary mod like this (actually a complete make-over of a game) can be added actually makes me happy about this site.

It shows that there's more ways that lead to Rome* than just existing paths and conventions, and the management realizing that. <3

*Rome meaning "multiplayer online roleplaying bliss" in this case.

Opposing this seems very narrowminded to me.

Don't be stuck on strict definitions of what a "mmorpg" is, people. Things in the online gaming landscape change over the years and this site anticipating on those changes is a strength rather than a weakness.

• Dahkot72Dahkot72 Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by cutthecrap
    Originally posted by Dahkot72

Except for the persistent world which is a must, I didn't know those others were considered true MMO features where as others are not.

It's simply a design direction. A direction that a number of people like in their games. Where as they may dislike other design directions that have been seen in the MMO genre itself.

FFA, friendly fire and perma death don't make an MMORPG, it just makes a game the kind of game that a number of sandbox fans and (MMO) gamers are craving for and would like to have in an MMO.

Maybe don't selectively leave out sections of a quote ?

I referred to those features that said made it feel more like virtual online world to me.

Then I noted that it has a day/night cycle and weather - you cut that out of your quote , and yes I say having day/night cycles is very much something a mmorpg should have.

And if you are going to Suggest "controversial" Tittles to be added. Atleast keep the post open for 7 days so you can get a clear picture of the community.

As it looks you added it within 3 days and 120~ votes.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Originally posted by tollbooth

Because I come here to look for mmorpgs. If i wanted to look for good fps mods i would go to the sister site fpsguru for that.

Originally posted by Istavaan

Originally posted by BigHatLogan Because DayZ has a more persistant world and more actual role playing than most games listed on this site? 
      1.So only having a persistent world qualifies for an mmorpg? 2.What have you got to support that claim.
    it doesn't only have a persistent world,  it has pve,pvp, crafting. loot. what else does it need to qualify as an mmo?

It needs to support a Large of players in a persistent world where you can role play. And it actually needs to be a game. not a mod.

Most SWTOR had less than a 100 people on (only a few were populated) and yes I tried recently.

SWTOR isn't persistant, it is incredibly static. In fact, the most static game I ever played.

No one role plays in SWTOR, and even the RP servers the GMs don't moderate AT ALL.

Guess SWTOR shouldn't be listed here either.

Anyway, you don't have to visit this forum section. Everyone who is enjoying DayZ that is more of an MMO than most, will enjoy being here :)

• liquescentliquescent Member UncommonPosts: 145

At one time MMORPG had an official post on what they defined MMORPG to be.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

I'll give it a try.

Because of MMORPG.com, I now know of this gem. This is my reason why I play games. To me, it feels more 'MMO'RPG than most games on this website. Why? Because as soon as you spawn, it gives the impression that you are in an actual world, instead of, again, a shell for infinite quests. Why not think out of the box? Because it's a mod, it doesn't count as a 'MMORPG'? I thought we wouldn't think like this anymore in 2012. Anyway, I would say, try it before making sheep comments because you heard it's a mod. We're just here for gaming right? Who cares if it's a mod, fps, or rts.

I do think the game list should get categories.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

If you think of a mmorpg, DayZ has the "essence" of "making your own story" right down. So on that basis it's a worthy more than a lot of technically classified mmorpgs: A good mutation in the genre.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

DayZ

Massive...the world is definitely massive in size (bigger and more open than most MMOs) and even in alpha, has more features (well, maybe more INTERESTING features, but that is all opinion) than most themepark MMOs. The game is massive in scope.

Multiplayer...definitely multiplayer

Online...yup played online

Roleplay...yup can roleplay as a huntsman, a sniper, a bandit, a wildernessman ransacking small towns and living in the woods or any number of things

Game...yup it is a game