Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Review-in-Progress Part Two

2»

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    [mod edit]
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

If you are not playing this game in hardcore then you really need to ask yourself " why am i moaning about gameplay when i am in the Arcade mode ".

There has only ever been one way to play Diablo games and that is on the edge of your seat, with death around every corner.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

honestly legendary gear sucks and is overpriced nothing about legendary stuff is legendary other then  how much people charge for it

Originally posted by sibs4455

If you are not playing this game in hardcore then you really need to ask yourself " why am i moaning about gameplay when i am in the Arcade mode ".

There has only ever been one way to play Diablo games and that is on the edge of your seat, with death around every corner.

cool story up until the shitty server lags and you die

diablo3 is a must buy just dont expect to get months of content out of it itsa single player game with online aspects nothing more i will suggest if someone is interested in the game to start now so when  the pvp  update comes you can take part in it

• trembulanttrembulant Member Posts: 101

During the beta i was thinking the game was going to suck, or at least not live up to the Diablo name.

I was wrong.

I love Diablo 2 and some things about it better than D3 and some things about D3 better than D2. But make no mistake this is Diablo and i think is has done justice to the franchise.

The crafting turned out to be a dud, at least for your first character, but can be helpful for secondaries, but it should have been better at launch. Stuff will get tweaked over and over, but at launch the game is worth the money and very much what you would expect from Blizzard, .. a AAA title polished to the max and full of lore and treasure . It will only get better with time.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Just love the logic that posters on this website have, remember other games that had huge initial sales, yeah that should teach you all that sales =/= quality. The content matters big time. I can tell you from personal experience that D3 compared to D2 is a shell of it's former glory. I have it, and i've played TL2 the beta, D3 was obviously made (content only) by hirelings that Blizz brought in to try to capture the nostalgia of the game. D2 and TL2 is far superior. The problem with D3 aside from the obvious 2 (RMAH and Persistant online play) is that they didn't add enough side content, randomization is what made D2 the game it was, it was replayable over and over, and aside from the occasional tiny porthole of a dungeon where you may or may not find treasure, this game really doesn't have what D2 had in content and it's disappointing that they took 12 years and this is what they come up with. 

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Just love the logic that posters on this website have, remember other games that had huge initial sales, yeah that should teach you all that sales =/= quality. The content matters big time. I can tell you from personal experience that D3 compared to D2 is a shell of it's former glory. I have it, and i've played TL2 the beta, D3 was obviously made (content only) by hirelings that Blizz brought in to try to capture the nostalgia of the game. D2 and TL2 is far superior. The problem with D3 aside from the obvious 2 (RMAH and Persistant online play) is that they didn't add enough side content, randomization is what made D2 the game it was, it was replayable over and over, and aside from the occasional tiny porthole of a dungeon where you may or may not find treasure, this game really doesn't have what D2 had in content and it's disappointing that they took 12 years and this is what they come up with. 

Skyrim had huge sales. MW2 and MW3 had huge sales.

Maybe sales =/= quality, but that goes both ways: high sales may not necessarily be a sign of the highest quality, but neither is it a sign of low quality.

For the rest I agree, I don't think that Blizzard's current teams have much left of the original teams. But even if I don't like a game, I'm not gonna say that the quality is bad nor that it's a wrong thing that a majority of gamers likes such games as D3. Besides, I played Torchlight, I found it an ok game but nowhere near as spectacular as some fans were making of it. If Torchlight 2 builds further upon the same base as TL I don't think it will be that phenomenally spectacular, for me.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I think the worst part is, that Normal is too easy! but that the next difficulty level (Nightmare) immediately forces Perma death on you as well!

I find that highly dissapointing!

Why not have at least one more difficulty level above normal that doesn't force perma death on you?

I like a good challenge, but especially with the whole online only (issues with disconnects, lag, etc) and the fact that everyone can make a mistake and die, that I will be forced to start from scratch again.

Fun maybe for the fetish hardcore fanatics, but not for me. As a family man I just don't have the time to invest that kind of hours into games anymore to reach the required skill level.

Practically also why I stopped playing FPS games (eventho I love them), as it's impossible to compete with young peeps among us that have all the time in the world. Been there, done that, enjoyed it!  But that time is over for me.

You just re-confirmed my desire to play the game through once for the story and then be done with it (I'm only in Act II).  I'm not into permadeath in ANY game, so....no thank you.  I thought that there was a mode BETWEEN normal and nightmare....like hardcore or something....and then inferno was last.  Guess I was wrong.  Boy howdy was that a quick play through for 60 bucks.  I dare say if I had to do that again, I'd save my money and wait for Torchlight 2 where you can set your difficulty right from the start.  I wish I could UNSPEND that 60 dollars.  The story is good and all, but value in play time and money.....not so good for a game, in my opinion.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

It took me 22 hours and 13 minutes to beat Diablo 3 on normal and that is with exploring everything and doing side quests. It took Blizzard 11 years to make 20 hours of content for casual players. What is wrong with this picture ? I would suggest playing Diablo 3 with friends, online pals because it ramps up the difficulty alot and it is great playing with friends.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by JeroKane

I think the worst part is, that Normal is too easy! but that the next difficulty level (Nightmare) immediately forces Perma death on you as well!

I find that highly dissapointing!

Why not have at least one more difficulty level above normal that doesn't force perma death on you?

I like a good challenge, but especially with the whole online only (issues with disconnects, lag, etc) and the fact that everyone can make a mistake and die, that I will be forced to start from scratch again.

Fun maybe for the fetish hardcore fanatics, but not for me. As a family man I just don't have the time to invest that kind of hours into games anymore to reach the required skill level.

Practically also why I stopped playing FPS games (eventho I love them), as it's impossible to compete with young peeps among us that have all the time in the world. Been there, done that, enjoyed it!  But that time is over for me.

You just re-confirmed my desire to play the game through once for the story and then be done with it (I'm only in Act II).  I'm not into permadeath in ANY game, so....no thank you.  I thought that there was a mode BETWEEN normal and nightmare....like hardcore or something....and then inferno was last.  Guess I was wrong.  Boy howdy was that a quick play through for 60 bucks.  I dare say if I had to do that again, I'd save my money and wait for Torchlight 2 where you can set your difficulty right from the start.  I wish I could UNSPEND that 60 dollars.  The story is good and all, but value in play time and money.....not so good for a game, in my opinion.

You're opinion was re-confirmed by a lie. Nightmare is not permadeath. It's just hard.

Difficulty levels are Normal->Nightmare->Hell->Inferno, where each difficulty expects you to have beaten the game on the previous difficulty.

There are two seperate types of characters: normal and hardcore. Hardcore characters have permadeath. You have to makea hardcore character from scratch at level 1 on normal mode if you want to have a hardcore character. Very few people play hardcore characters.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    Originally posted by unclemo

If you want to make normal mode more difficult then make some challenging changes on your own.  I suggest trying any one or a combination of the following.

1. Attempt to beat Normal mode using Grey items only.

2. Do not use a hirling.

3. Do not use potions.

4. Refrain from using slots 2 - 4 

5. Simply try other builds that you would consider less than optimal.

These methods of play may not have actual sanctioned rewards, but if you really desperately want a challange on Normal mode then give it a try.  

Artificial self-induced difficulty is such a fucking a cop out. Oh hey, make the game easier by ignoring half of the mechanics. Yeah, that'll be fun.

Actually, Nightmare difficulty should have been normal difficulty. Playing with others, I wiped on the final boss (don't wanna spoil anything lol) like 8 times before beating it, but it was definitely doable. Normal mode is just a casual mode for people who just want to see the story and plow through enemies. Afterwards it starts getting challenging, but the challenge just isn't any fun in my opinion. You go from destroying mobs, to running into group after group of champions that take like 15 minutes of everyone constantly dying and running back into the fight to do a little more damage before dying again and wearing them down a little bit at a time. That's really not fun.

The difficulties beyond Normal were poorly designed, and Normal is believed to be too easy. In the end, listening to the people on forums, the entire game is just poorly designed from the ground up and needs some major fixes.

That being said, it's probably the most fun poorly designed game out there at the moment. While game mechanics might be messed up, the base gameplay is fun and addictive. I really wonder how the game is going to progress from here..

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Regarding the Auction House, at least in Hard core, is MASSIVELY broken. Down for hours at a time. Taking your coin for purchases that never arrive. Items that cannot be listed for sale. The limit of 10 items per account, and then not having the ability to cancel an un-bid upon sale.

Not fun...

As far as difficulty, normal on HC is more risky and satisfying than the "Oh I died and rez back 10 steps" easy mode.

As to the character progress, maybe the skills progression in Normal mode has different priorities, but in HC many if not most of the skills have no use or purpose at all. I find myself using Elective mode, using 2-3 skills out of one set, and NONE of the skills in a few sets.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Sorry, apparently I cannot edit my post/comment...

As to the character progress, maybe the skills progression in Normal mode has different priorities, but in HC many if not most of the skills have no use or purpose at all. I find myself using Elective mode, using 2-3 skills out of one set, and NONE of the skills in a few sets.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Mephster

It took me 22 hours and 13 minutes to beat Diablo 3 on normal and that is with exploring everything and doing side quests. It took Blizzard 11 years to make 20 hours of content for casual players. What is wrong with this picture ? I would suggest playing Diablo 3 with friends, online pals because it ramps up the difficulty alot and it is great playing with friends.

It didn't really take that long. First Blizzard North had an almost ready game when they were scrapped, and so was their game.

Knowing Blizz they might have started out from scratch more than that, D2 was remade from scratch 3 times...

Not saying that some more content would hurt though, but Blizzard did not put 11 years into the game you got.

it was most likely 3 years of actual game development  considering how badly balanced the classes and the mechanics are

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

They were probably mainly working on the RMT shop for 3 years. I did not buy the game and I encourage others not to support this type of behavior if you like games.

Go ahead and buy this game if you want all your single player / co-op games to force you to play online without LAN play (did you enjoy the servers being down?). Go ahead and buy it if you enjoy developers adjusting drop rates to encourage you to purchase items for a real money cash shop.

I say boycott greedy game companies such as these till they come back down to earth with more customer friendly money models. Buy Torchlight 2 and say no to Diablo 3.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by qombi

They were probably mainly working on the RMT shop for 3 years. I did not buy the game and I encourage others not to support this type of behavior if you like games.

Funny enough cash shop isn't out yet and the AH itself is a bit messy. Honestly if this was your problem I assume you didn't play D2, becuase RMT was huge... seriously, if you google search you can probably find the remains of a couple dozen RMT websites that made a killing off selling diablo items. While I don't normally like to support an RMT, for this genre of game its better to just put it up yourself or have spam fill your box as people do it anyways outside the game giving no funding to the developers who made the game.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

To make normal mode less boring: naked, signature spells only.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think another thing to bear in mind Michael is that Diablo 3 does feel very linear in its story. It's a fun ride while it lasts, but not really one you want tyo go down more than once or twice. 

• DaddyDarkDaddyDark Member Posts: 138

Yeah - auction house is just total failure... when it works (and it happens rarely) you can't put more than 10 items on sale... and unless you put a very attractive buyout price on an item it takes you 2 days to ... well... sell it. In 2 days I completed the hardcore normal difficulty ...which makes AH effectively useless, unless you buyout - as you will probably outlevel any item you bid for before it arrives... oh yeah - you can bid on an item 10 levels higher than yours - but then you don't know if you will find a better one by the time... TOTAL TRASH...

as for the difficulty, I can't agree with the author... Just play hardcore ... and play with a party, so the monsters will get a boost...

• DaduHulkDaduHulk Member UncommonPosts: 28

AH did for me as stated : I was doing great but was missing some dps for my weapon, quick trip to AH, got a rare for 1000 credits that up my dps from 24 to 49. And the game was a breeze from there on. So, as many have said, it makes normal even easier if you can just go and pick that one item that won't drop for you. Mixed feelings on this : it takes the "find it yourself" out of the game, yet solves your issue when you need that one piece.

The only thing I find a bother right now is the small stash.  I try to save some items for my other alts, but space is reduced. I already expanded to the second tab, but the thid one costs 200K.. :-P

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

It was fun for a few hours. I beat it i'm done. it had it's shitty parts but most of blizzards games these days suck.but fanboys keep the reviews postive and keep the real reviews of the game buryied in the hype.

My question to blizzard is ........What happened to you guys? all these years and this is what we get?

Sad stuff but hey back to real MMOs and a large pizza with everything.