Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IMO I think this game could attract a lot of mature players

Comments

• StrangeEyesStrangeEyes Member Posts: 119

There is no loot stealing mob stealing nomore i have better gear then you or im stronger then you.

Bottem line is who cares GW2 will not have bragging epeen anymore or slow pace fast pace matter anymore.

It will attrack alot different players it dont matter if there young or old as long we all have fun.

Im NOT in the camp of i hope for more mature players, im in the CAMP of  ALL AGES having fun with Guild Wars 2.

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz
    GPU:ASUS HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP
    MB:ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE
    Case:Cooler Master HAF X
    RAM:Corsair 16GB 1600
    PSU:Corsair gold 850
    HD:SSD OCZ 256 GB vertex4

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

My "biggest" complain against the OP's argument is that the game is rated T

That means we won't see any dark/moody content in the game like for example in Dragon Age. I can understand why and I'm ok with it, but it could've been "better" imo

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

From the outside, the community will be bad, like any MMO, but once you make an effort to get to know people and join a guild you realize it's the immature children that talk the most and the community in general is pretty good.

This can be said for all MMOs.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Internet Anonymity + Free to Play + PvP = recipe for catastrophic community.

Just wait until all the kiddies who will ask this as XMas present arrive... parents are often limiting pay to play games, but since GW2 doesn't require to enter a credit card number...

I'm very optimistic about GW2 in general, but not about the community. I predict this to be worse than WoW. The safe heaven of mature people will be their guild, and also the fact that the game doesn't encourage griefing (it actually makes the usual PvE griefing almost if not completely impossible).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

Offcause this game can attrackt alot of mature players. Among my circle of friends any day that GW2 is delayed will make more of my friends play it.

And that is because they are really causal gamers bying max 2 games a years, and 1 is already bought this year and thats Diablo 3.

To get them on the GW2 wagon, they need to grow a little tired of Diablo 3 first. It will happend with some time.

With Diablo selling that much as it has, i think that might actual be alot of players in a simmilar situation.

For that huge segment of players (old gamers that have waited years for a good causal game) Diablo i right now the GAME.

Guildwars 2 will be, and will benefit from those players getting a little less excited about Diablo 3.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    46'ish, Luv the no sub, I run a small game group called the, “MISFITZ” only 5 local guys make up the group,( aged between 18 to 46) and were all looking forward to not having to worry about paying subs, we don't always have time to play and nothing is worse than paying a sub and then the boss tells you your off work in another part of Australia and you end up missing nearly the whole month, as for paying for expansions that's fine, having no subs still makes it a winner of a game and way cheaper than any other.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by palulalula
    Originally posted by Skarecrow7
    Originally posted by palulalula

Well wrong! Bzzzzzzzzzz. It is harder for kids to pay sub and to own credit cards but free to play will atract kids and it was always like that. If you think that serious behaving has to do something with age you are again wrong, bzzzzzz. People start to troll when they get bored after some time and that is in every mmo.

So I take it you are planing on playing then?

Not really. Not a gw fan, but ok my behaving is trollololololo in every game and i have over 40. I am the pride of  bad adult trolls. My son have 16 and  plays like mature guy and he is always polite to everyone

you should take your son as an example......being polite aint that hard, other people playing are also real people.

Roleplaying a bad guy is ok imho but talking about someones mom ingame is personal......if you dont know what i am talking about you better ask your boy :)

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Nethriil
    Kzaske - what people fail to understand is that gw2 will come with content updates every 4-6 months which will cost another 50 bucks. So og you want to keep up with content like you do in a sub game you will actually end up paying the same ish

First of all GW1 on which you are basing your assumption had only ONE Expansion and that was Eye of the North!

Other than that it had several FREE Updates along with 2 Stand Alone games (Factions and Nightfall) that you could play through no matter if you possesed Prophecies or not, while you could still play with people that had the other games you didn't had in pvp and other general areas!

So what ANet always gave to us players were choice!

You didn't got forced to buy factions or nightfalls, you could buy it if you wanted to enjoy its content or other classes that were based on the lore and areas involved in this games.

With that said and since GW2 is a open world mmo now, there will more than likely be content updates and expansions instead of stand alone games like Prophecies, Factions and Nightfall was.

To the OP:

I hit the 42 a month ago and GW1 was one of my whole time favorite mmos!

Even after I had tested and played 300+ mmos it will always be. I still can enter it whenever I have the time and the mood for it and in the 5+ years I spent in it before, I had a great guild, great alliance and were surrounded with lovely mature people of all ages without having a single issue at all.

No matter if it was luck or not, I totally enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the Betas community in game so far cause GW2 is designed a way in which no matter how people are in real life, they always help each other in game without spending  any time on having a second thought!

At least that was my experience on it so far.

Of course there were other games in which daily drama was always on the menu but the games itself promoted such drama so it wasn't surprising that the people in it acted partially like this either.

In my guilds on various games and no matter if they were p2p, f2p or b2p (GW1), I had whole families with me (father, mother and a 11 years old boy), older people between 56 and 65 as also teenies.

Some people are selfish and behave badly, others are enjoying a good community and friendship.

However, all of this has nothing to do with ones age but rather with their Character.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by chryses
    I am no fanboy of GW 2.  Never played the first one but I am thinking that there could be a higher proportion of mature gamers in this MMO.  Its not so much the game itself but the payment model its based on.Myself and several other gaming friends are in the age bracket of 35-42.  All of us are married and most with kids.  We have travelled the MMO path for many years but its tailed off significantly in the last 2 years with the introduction of partners and kids.We can all afford subs but like my mates I get annoyed if I can't log in for a week or two and I know there is a sub coming out every 4 weeks.  It also creates a feeling that you 'need' to play and as time is limited we all turn into leveling freaks in the time we do have, as we try to reach some of the more interesting content.GW2 has changed all that.  Most of my friends including myself have no subs anymore but we are buying GW2.  Its refreshing to feel that I can play a game a lot or as little as I want, knowing I am not paying each month.  It also means I will take my time and explore/experience the world a lot slower and therefore engage more.Just wondering if its my own pocket of friends or is this something other people are thinking also?  I can just see a load of adults married with kids, playing this game. 

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I don't think any of your examples guarantee a more mature player base. Your income, age, marital status, number of children, or impartiality to monthly mmo fees aren't signifiers of maturity. Maturity is more than a social or economic status. Im sure there will be plenty of mature players in any game for any number of reasons. Its a state of mind. Anyway, glad you are excited to play. Hope you and your friends have a lot of good times.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Originally posted by chryses

I am no fanboy of GW 2.  Never played the first one but I am thinking that there could be a higher proportion of mature gamers in this MMO.  Its not so much the game itself but the payment model its based on.

Myself and several other gaming friends are in the age bracket of 35-42.  All of us are married and most with kids.  We have travelled the MMO path for many years but its tailed off significantly in the last 2 years with the introduction of partners and kids.

We can all afford subs but like my mates I get annoyed if I can't log in for a week or two and I know there is a sub coming out every 4 weeks.  It also creates a feeling that you 'need' to play and as time is limited we all turn into leveling freaks in the time we do have, as we try to reach some of the more interesting content.

GW2 has changed all that.  Most of my friends including myself have no subs anymore but we are buying GW2.  Its refreshing to feel that I can play a game a lot or as little as I want, knowing I am not paying each month.  It also means I will take my time and explore/experience the world a lot slower and therefore engage more.

Just wondering if its my own pocket of friends or is this something other people are thinking also?  I can just see a load of adults married with kids, playing this game.

The payment model will make no difference to the type of people that end up playing GW2. Infact most kids/young gamers dont have money to fork out on regular subscriptions either and I am sure any parent who does their research would rather buy this for their child knowing it is a one off expense than another title that requires $15 a month payments making GW2 superior value for money as far as pay for box MMO's go.

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

To OP: Its a valid point but i dont tottaly agree.

Im 42 and all my friends that play mmos are all around 35 - 45 and not me neither any of them pick a game because its F2P, B2P or P2P.

We all pick games because what the game IS and then acept the payment model (if its free better, if not oh well we pay).

In the end, if the GW2 community will be mature or not im sure its because of the game itself, not because its B2P.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

Whether or not GW2 actually attracts a more mature player base, the question is, how are players going to act "immature" in the game, other than saying immature stuff in chat? They can't grief you; they can't kill-steal; they cant bogart your resource nodes; they can't ninja loot; they can't exclude you from content.

I tend to think that GW2 will attract a more mature player base not because of the B2P model, but rather because there is so little opportunity for immature people to act out in GW2 because of the game design.

Originally posted by Meleagar

... They can't grief you; they can't kill-steal; they cant bogart your resource nodes; they can't ninja loot; they can't exclude you from content.

So, in the end there is no way to know who is "nice" and who is "rude" in matter of in-game actions?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Originally posted by Jabas

Originally posted by Meleagar ... They can't grief you; they can't kill-steal; they cant bogart your resource nodes; they can't ninja loot; they can't exclude you from content.
    So, in the end there is no way to know who is "nice" and who is "rude" in matter of in-game actions?
    You will still recognize the idiots from their behavior in chat and during groups, but they won't be able to "physically" harm you. There will still be kiddies (7 or 77 years old) who can't spell correct English and who will beg for gold or whatever else, but you can simply /ignore them and they can't follow you around, steal your kills/nodes or ninja your loot.

The worse I've seen during beta so far are the self entitlement driven kiddies who spam the local chat to get a resurrection ("can u res? can u rez? CAN U REZ? CAN U REZ? PLZ REZ ME"). Those can be easily /ignored.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

In a matter of char ofc, we see that in all games. But theres allways the silence "rude" ppl and silence "nice" ppl  image

Anyway, i still dont think this will make the game community more or less mature. Will have to wait for release and then we shall see.

• johaocarljohaocarl Member UncommonPosts: 111

Just some points:

1- PvP: everyone is level 80 with max gear, blue, red and green teams cannot talk one another (to be true, they cannot see enemy players names) - I am sure we will not see kids screaming "i owned you", the game mechanics don't permit it.

2- WvWvW PvP - people will need learn to work with everyone from same world

3- cohoperative PvE - no loot stealing, no mob stealing, no holy trinity (sorry, no healers... or tanks... learn to dodge), everyone can rez,  players need learn to cohoperate.

4- GW2 don't spoon feed you - from level 2, after tutorial, you are free to go where you want go.

I am sure we will see kids playing the game, but I am too sure they will not be a problem for mature players....

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I can see where the OP is coming from and i also believe that a lot of players will be thinking like the OP BUT by his logic that would mean the most Mature community would be found in the F2P games and well everyone who played some of them knows its far from that.

I think it will attract more immature players than mature one due to the fact that it does not charge monthly fees after all Mommy and daddy would prolly like to save the 15$ a month and if you are tight on money and still studying you prolly would not mind saving the 15$ as well so it really is very attractive for the immature crowd.

Now when i say mature i am only referring to age but age is a very bad indicator as to how the ppl behave.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

They can't grief you; they can't kill-steal

Yes they can. Troll army of 15 players making DE scale to max not being able to get participation.

On topic: OP your point aren't really valid at all. It's impossible to determine how a community will be like. There's to many factors.

SPVP is going to be Esports, FPS, MOBA style and those communties are among the worst possible. WVWVW can bring how some really competative drive in players which leads to a-hole mode. Those types of players you meantion might also just leave after 6 months and go to teh next big, shiny new mmo.

Your idead that because there's no sub the world will alwasy be populated can go both ways too. Players may just log in 1 hour a week, leaving the world empty most of the time.

Also, TSW playersbase was annoying with the whole "this game is the thinking mans mmo and is for smart people", but that seems to be going down (hope so). Now GW2 is about "skill". There's no gear grind (which i very much agree) so now to replace that it's teh skill excuse. There'll be cookei-cutter builds and players will force others to use them in dungeons. But now, a whole new dimension of troll can be added.

Imagine- A new players comes from WOW and plays a Paladin. He's not very good but is very nice and friendly. He keeps failing has a guardian so asks for help. The response is "OMG Guardians aren't paladins. there's no tanks and your gear won't save you. This isn't a game for the PWNS people. This games about skill, which you don't have. Go back to WOW noob"

Apperently, pressing a dodge button and kiting while moving means you have "mad skillz yo". BTW this isn't the attitude of all GW2 fans, but it's just a simple (and long) way to show you that a good or bad community can com from anywhere. Let's wait a few months after launch to see what community is like.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Yes they can. Troll army of 15 players making DE scale to max not being able to get participation.

What does this mean?  I can't be locked out of participating in any DE regardless of what any other players do.

And yes, I'm sure there will be immature people, but the question is if the GW2 game pay system (and further argued, the game design itself) will attract - in general - a more mature community.  IMO, it will on average, simply because it offers virtually no mechanisms by which associated in-game immature behavior can be actualized in any quantifiable way. I imagine that immature players would prefer to have in-game, mechanical opportunities to coerce their behavior onto others, and they already have plenty of games for that.

Why would an immature playermeaning one who enjoys inflicting their immaturity on others - even want to play GW2?  There may be ways to annoy other players in GW2, but not nearly the opportunity that so many other games offer.

• bhimabhima Member Posts: 81

What does this mean?  I can't be locked out of participating in any DE regardless of what any other players do.

And yes, I'm sure there will be immature people, but the question is if the GW2 game pay system (and further argued, the game design itself) will attract - in general - a more mature community.  IMO, it will on average, simply because it offers virtually no mechanisms by which associated in-game immature behavior can be actualized in any quantifiable way. I imagine that immature players would prefer to have in-game, mechanical opportunities to coerce their behavior onto others, and they already have plenty of games for that.

Why would an immature playermeaning one who enjoys inflicting their immaturity on others - even want to play GW2?  There may be ways to annoy other players in GW2, but not nearly the opportunity that so many other games offer.

This is true for the most part. Though I don't necessarily think GW2 will attract a different overall audience than say WoW mainly because I think it will sell at least 3 million copies in the first year. You are bound to get a decent slice of immature players but I think the game mechanics will at least tone down the douchery of those immature players. I still think we will have the barrens chat SOMEWHERE. Luckily we can just turn off zone chat and read only guild chat.

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204

i hope you are joking. if not this is Misinformation if any thing it will give you more exp and loot and not take it away from you. i did lots of DE with 20+ players and still got gold level for the event.

on topic i think the only place you will have asshole players is in chat. they may try and do thing in the game world but it will fail

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'm looking forward to GW2, but I'm not seeing how it will bring in just mature people. If it's a hit, all types of people will be all over it, Like a bum on a bologna sandwich.

I've been playing GW1 lately, I see chatter of a lot of them going to GW2, and honestly, some of the most immature, rudest, people in an mmo have been from GW1(from those I've encountered,at least 1 whole alliance of people), though WoW comes in at number 1 with the most immature/rude people I've met, and SWTOR coming in 3rd, hehe.

I wish you were right though and it brought in the more mature crowd, but a new mmo, and it being a huge hit, always seem to bring in the most horrible people along with the most pleasant.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• LagozLagoz Member Posts: 92

No matter how you twist the words:

GW2 is a B2P game without monthly subscription.

It's rated TEEN.

It's really _EASY_ to pick up and play.

The game will be infested with kiddoes who don't even have a CC.

These kiddoes have no idea how online games work so they'll act like they wish without paying any attention to others.

Sure about 10% of the population will be smart, friendly and (all the positive ways to describe a human) but the masses are going to be something different, completely different.

GW2 is the next big thing, just like WoW was and the communities will be really close to each other.

TSW will have a great yet SMALL community because it takes an hour to get to the first "levelling area" & real combat.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by MercAngel

i hope you are joking. if not this is Misinformation if any thing it will give you more exp and loot and not take it away from you. i did lots of DE with 20+ players and still got gold level for the event.

on topic i think the only place you will have asshole players is in chat. they may try and do thing in the game world but it will fail

I think what he is trying to say is a group of whatever number of people could troll others by going in the area of a DE to make it harder, while not doing anything to help.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade
    Originally posted by MercAngel

I think what he is trying to say is a group of whatever number of people could troll others by going in the area of a DE to make it harder, while not doing anything to help.

if possible, not sure why people would do that... what benefit is there to increase the difficulty level of a DE and not participate? Trolls will always find a way to be trolls, however insignificant their trolling may end up being. Case in point, GW2 not only discourages this kind of behavior, through their gameplay, but just as much encourages players to cooperate and work together. If there are any trolls out there, if you're gonna be a troll, please stick with wow.