Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game be worth the $60 unlike d3?

Comments

• gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

The PvP alone is worth the 60$ and the content in the beta I've seen so far, which is a tiny fraction of what will be in the released product.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• Sp1dersbaneSp1dersbane Member Posts: 49

GW2 is gonna be one of those games where there's going to be something for just about everyone. I'll like it purely because it pushes all the right buttons for me:

• Replayability
    • Huge areas to explore
    • Epic encounters
    • Large scale pvp
    • Visually pleasing
    • Dungeons
    • Skill based combat, gear has a lot lower impact
    • FREE TO PLAY
    • It has an effin' Necromancer!
    Add to that a living and breathing world with a break from the old standard mmo of quests and trinity and all I see is a game that will keep me geeking for a fair few years.

Sad to hear about D3, I was waiting for it to enter the sales so I didn't pre-order. Kinda glad I didn't now considering all the negative feedback i've been hearing.

I'd say read the boards stickies about the nitty gritty details then spend an afternoon browsing GW2 video's on youtube.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

Stop buying unproven multiplayer games on day one if you value your money, thats my stance.

Wait for the product to show what it can do or forfeit your right to complain if it doesn't fit you.

It's $60 for loads of entertainment. Thats one night out with a date to the movies. Tell her to stay home and wash her hair next weekend and you are setup for months of entertainement. She can make you samwiches.

edit: sp

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• johaocarljohaocarl Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by JBieber
    Originally posted by Derros

Even if it only lasts you a month, its still more than you would get from the the multitude of 8-10 hour $60 xbox/ps3 games out there.

any ideas about when it is officially released? :)

"When it is ready" (tm)

Take note that the BW are really BETA, they are not a marketing beta. They are testing stuff. IMHO, we will see more 3 or 4 BW, maybe we have an open beta (well, that will be the marketing beta), and the game will be ready for launch.

To the OP:

1- there is no NDA: just read wiki, blog sites and look at youtube;

2- if you like GW, you will problably like GW2, same world, 250 years later, but now you can play a charr, I remember a lot of GW players that wanted play a charr... or an asura... or a norn...

3- no sub, your only investment is buy the game, $60

4- if you pre-purchase you are paying for play the game and the BW (sincerelly, I think it is a bonus), but just remember that BW is really a beta, bugs happen.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Between the first Beta Weekend Event and the Stress Test in mid May, I logged 45 hours /played in GW2. I loved every minute of it, had no "game fatigue" and was left wanting a lot, lot more of a game for which I had just barely scratched the surface. Considering the average played time I've been getting the last few years from most games I've purchased, I think I already got my money's worth at $1.33/hour of enjoyable entertainment.

Not only does the game have a ton of content, but there is variety in waht you can do and how you can approach the game. So, even for those with somewhat fickle taste in games, GW2 offers you multiple opportunities to try something different in the hopes that you will find something you find enjoyable.

The professions play very differently from each other. The personal stories are highly varied based on race, biography choices and decisions you make during the key parts of the story. Each race has it's own starting areas full of content. So, for fickle PvE players, there are a lot of options you can try when searching for the proper "fit".

The game also features Structured (battleground based) PvP that you can participate in as soon as you finish the 5 minute or so tutorial zone for you character. You get a max level, max stat, all skills and traits unlocked version of your character with max stat gear and weapons. All characters start on a level playing field and build choice/player skill/team work determine the winners. Some players will play hundreds or thousands of hours of GW2 just doing structured PvP.

Then there is World vs. World vs. World PvP, that pits all servers against two other servers in a multi-zone wide, objective based warfare. You are scaled to level 80, but still have gear and skills based on your true level. You can level up just doing WvW if you wish.

Those are tow complete game modes aside from the expansive PvE experience where people can hope to find other alternative ways to have fun playing the game.

It's almost three seperate games in one, which with the other factors I mentioned exponentially increases the odds that any given person will find plenty here for their $60!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I don't see how could anyone beat gw2 in just 12 hours so yeah! Also, non linear story, repetition leads to new content not just harder (fake) difficulty.

• johaocarljohaocarl Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by gladosrev2

The PvP alone is worth the 60$ and the content in the beta I've seen so far, which is a tiny fraction of what will be in the released product.

I'm always skeptical of this argument. Between the lines I'm reading that the stuff you've seen is barely worth it, but the stuff you didnt see...you hope to be the really good stuff.

that's how mmo's die. that's hype.

However, PvP guilds really liked GW2 PvP, just look at their sites... 

And WvWvW  was at BW1 and the stress beta, they had enough time for test PvP and have a good idea how it will work. 

I just hope Anet try manage what servers that PvP guilds will be at launch, like Bioware managed TOR guilds, send that guilds to pre-choosed servers. 

A cash amount does not deter a true MMORPG Champion! What is this you speak of Sir OP?

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by woodyfly

So I wasted my money on d3 and I had never played the beta  on either games so I didn't know what to expect . Is gw2 worth the $60 in your opinion?

Yep just from the sheer amount of care they put into it to make is as fun as possible!

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Bunch of whiners in this lot...

Look, all the cool kids are bashing d3 let's hop on the band wagon.

Ffs, it's a game. If you rush through it, it'll be done in noe time. You take your time and you can experience it for a while. If you didn't feel like you got your monies worth it's because you didn't care enough to research whether or not it'd be a game for you.

Given that we've now established the laziness of the OP, I think it'd be a fair statement to say they won't research GW2 and will be back in the forums whining again after launch.
    Originally posted by Ikeda
    Bunch of whiners in this lot... Look, all the cool kids are bashing d3 let's hop on the band wagon. Ffs, it's a game. If you rush through it, it'll be done in noe time. You take your time and you can experience it for a while. If you didn't feel like you got your monies worth it's because you didn't care enough to research whether or not it'd be a game for you. Given that we've now established the laziness of the OP, I think it'd be a fair statement to say they won't research GW2 and will be back in the forums whining again after launch.

Couldn't his question be research?

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by gladosrev2

I'm always skeptical of this argument. Between the lines I'm reading that the stuff you've seen is barely worth it, but the stuff you didnt see...you hope to be the really good stuff.

that's how mmo's die. that's hype.

If people who played PvP think PvP alone is worth $60, people who played WvW think WvW is worth $60 and people who played PvP feel that PvE is worth $60, what lines are you trying to read between? That the game is worth at least $180? Actually, when you figure in the lack of subscription fees, the game is worth more than $180, when you look at what it offers vs. other MMORPGs that have offered a life time subscription for a couple hundred bucks.

I intended to test PvE/SPVP and WvW during Beta Weekend Event 1, but I was so enthralled in PvE I never got to the other two modes. I've heard similar stories from others who have started out with one of the three primary modes, intending to try the others as well, but having so much fun with what they were doing they didn't ever get around to anything else.

As far as PvE content, the game world is massive, (it has to be one of the most expansive worlds since WoW was first launched) and there is much more content than you need to level. That would be good on it's own, but the Dynamic nature of most of the content and the promise that they will be adding more Dynamic Events for free, on a regular basis, after the game goes live means that the game almost certainly has more PvE content than WoW offered at launch.

It's quality content and the game is just a lot of fun.

That there are a variety of things to do, including three major game modes, is just icing on the cake and that variety ensures that a broader spectum of players will find something worth the box price here. Most will find the game worth much more than the $60 purchase price.

All games need hype to sell in quantity, but to be a real ongoing success, those games need to live up to the hype. GW2 lives up to it's hype. It's not a perfect game, but that's ok because what isn't perfect is still well done and the scope of the game is truly massive.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

If people who played PvP think PvP alone is worth $60, people who played WvW think WvW is worth $60 and people who played PvP feel that PvE is worth $60, what lines are you trying to read between? That the game is worth at least $180? Actually, when you figure in the lack of subscription fees, the game is worth more than $180, when you look at what it offers vs. other MMORPGs that have offered a life time subscription for a couple hundred bucks.

I intended to test PvE/SPVP and WvW during Beta Weekend Event 1, but I was so enthralled in PvE I never got to the other two modes. I've heard similar stories from others who have started out with one of the three primary modes, intending to try the others as well, but having so much fun with what they were doing they didn't ever get around to anything else.

As far as PvE content, the game world is massive, (it has to be one of the most expansive worlds since WoW was first launched) and there is much more content than you need to level. That would be good on it's own, but the Dynamic nature of most of the content and the promise that they will be adding more Dynamic Events for free, on a regular basis, after the game goes live means that the game almost certainly has more PvE content than WoW offered at launch.

That there are a variety of things to do, including three major game modes, is just icing on the cake and that variety ensures that a broader spectum of players will find something worth the box price here. Most will find the game worth much more than the $60 purchase price.

All games need hype to sell in quantity, but to be a real ongoing success, those games need to live up to the hype. GW2 lives up to it's hype. It's not a perfect game, but that's ok because what isn't perfect is still well done and the scope of the game is truly massive.

Nice post again fiontar.  

There are other categories to break down too.

Crafting is worth about $40 to me. I started a newly released game and it's crafting system was poor at best. GW2s crafting in the short time I have played is worth the a thumbs up! 

Mini-games, I can't put a price on yet because I haven't played any, but they are unique to my knowledge and no other game has them.

Replay value due to different starting locations and the DEs being what they are, and the devs abilities to move and mix them up in new locations, has to be the value of the game in itself.

I for one can't put a dollar amount on the exploring, to me it is one of the greatest features of the game. Exploring and finding jumping puzzles, underwater caves, hidden crafting nodes, and being entwined with dynamic events are just awesome! 

If you think this game isn't worth the flat fee of $60, then you are not a true MMORPG Champion and should move on, there is no room for mediocrity in it's playerbase.

edit: spelling

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Should live up to a $60 price tag.

Hope in the long run it doesn't turn out to require some CS spending to remaine up to par. There is much wiggle room to keep it from being non-P2W but still justifing some CS spending.

The issue with the CS as I see it is not on ANET's end but the players end. If there are enough players that spend in the CS for boosts and the like, their actions will "encourage" the non spenders to feel compelled to spend. hmmmm I almost sound like I'm making a "GW2 is a sandbox" argument lol.

• LagozLagoz Member Posts: 92

Definately worth the price and D3 will be aswell once they get the beta tests done.

D3 was released very unfinished, which is suprising coming from Blizzard.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

Diablo 3 is all about grind. the objective of the game is farm for better stat items.

GW2 have the opposite philosophy, dont have any kind of gear stats farm.

if GW2 worth 60% unlike D3? well, that will depend on your tastes. for me yes it worth, because i like much more MMORPG and i hate grind

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Beta tested Diablo III - and I didn't buy it.

Beta tested GW2 - and I own a prepurchase version of the game now, even though we don't have a release date.

I let you guess my answer to the thread title question ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Nice post again fiontar.  

Crafting is worth about $40 to me. I started a newly released game and it's crafting system was poor at best. GW2s crafting in the short time I have played is worth the a thumbs up! 

Mini-games, I can't put a price on yet because I haven't played any, but they are unique to my knowledge and no other game has them. Replay value due to different starting locations and the DEs being what they are, and the devs abilities to move and mix them up in new locations, has to be the value of the game in itself.

I for one can't put a dollar amount on the exploring, to me it is one of the greatest features of the game. Exploring and finding jumping puzzles, underwater caves, hidden crafting nodes, and being intwined with dynamic events are just awesome! 

If you think this game isn't worth the flat fee of $60, then you are not a true MMORPG Champion and should move on, there is no room for mediocrity in it's playerbase.

I thought that was the whole point of a lot of the design choices in GW2, to allow the medicore players to enjoy the game just as much as all those "pro-gamers", in short your final thought there iseither incredibly wide of the mark, or so poorly worded as to not convey your real thought & instead conveys something entirely different to what you intended it to.

Originally posted by Skuz
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Nice post again fiontar.  

Mini-games, I can't put a price on yet because I haven't played any, but they are unique to my knowledge and no other game has them. Replay value due to different starting locations and the DEs being what they are, and the devs abilities to move and mix them up in new locations, has to be the value of the game in itself.

I for one can't put a dollar amount on the exploring, to me it is one of the greatest features of the game. Exploring and finding jumping puzzles, underwater caves, hidden crafting nodes, and being intwined with dynamic events are just awesome! 

I thought that was the whole point of a lot of the design choices in GW2, to allow the medicore players to enjoy the game just as much as all those "pro-gamers", in short your final thought there iseither incredibly wide of the mark, or so poorly worded as to not convey your real thought & instead conveys something entirely different to what you intended it to.

Nope it is simple enough what I said.  I was saying that their gameplay, or the complexity at which they play, has nothing to do with the playerbase as I wrote. I was merely trying to point out that if you can't understand the entertainement value for the price you need to move on. The discussion is about the game being worth $60, not the actual skill or investment time of the players. :)

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by iller
    Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by woodyfly So I wasted my money on d3 and I had never played the beta  on either games so I didn't know what to expect . Is gw2 worth the $60 in your opinion?
      Based solely on the limited information in your post, Id say no. You will probably feel like you wasted another 60 bucks on GW2.

Should be pointed out that the above poster doesn't know anything about it personally and is just here to attack the game and start fights.

Regarding the OP who actually liked Gw1...  I think Gw2 is currently missing a few of the key quality of life features from Gw1 or atleast a few things that were added later on in Gw1's lifespan.  But regardless, Gw2 seems already has a lot more robust Content  in it and larger better designed zones/movement.  ...atleast that's what I've gotten from the 45 hours I spent in it so far.  It will absolutely be worth retail price once we get it to Launch and do all the proper Stress testing that Diablo failed to do.

Regarding Diablo3....   I loved Diablo2... infact I spent last week playing it for like 60 hours in all just to relive it.   But I knew Diablo3 was going to be bad for the past year or so.  There was a lot of warning signs, especially if you followed the gaming business news about Blizzard and Activision and the path they've gone down lately.  ....sorry to hear you lost $60 to them, I think everyone who fell into that trap should have been able to get a refund.

Not true. I actually think GW2 is a good game. But based on the OP, who paid 60 dollars for a game he didnt know anything about, played for a couple weeks tops, then came to a forum and made an "I wasted my money" thread, he probably will do the same thing with GW2. Has nothing to do with the game itself. Please stop being so paranoid. Not everyone is out to get your game.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

So I wasted my money on d3 and I had never played the beta  on either games so I didn't know what to expect . Is gw2 worth the $60 in your opinion?

I would suggest for you either waiting six months post release to purchase or to never purchase it.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It really is up to you if a game is worth it's money or not.

What is clear is that GW2 do have a lot more content than D3 and even if you only PvE you wont max out and do all the dungeons in a few days. But if it is worth it or not still is up to you.

To me it looks really good so far and I don't see myself not getting out 60 bucks worth.... And yeah, I played the beta.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

It's worth a sub, which it doesn't have one.  So yes, it's worth the $60.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i own both (pre-purchased GW2) and think both are worth it to me. especially considering the crap rehashed console games being sold for the same price. but that's the thing, its all about personal preference. some people think its worth it to spend $60 at the bar in one night, i am not one of those people.

to each their own.

• orgashorgash Member Posts: 67

Going by your title....umm TONS of people believe D3 is worth $60 so really what does it matter what people think about GW2?

You kinda just sound like you wanted to bash Diablo 3 rather than find out what GW2 is worth....but Guildwars 2 worth $60? that is easy :  YES---I---NO (pick either side depending on what you think of it after buying/wasting money on it)