Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody else afraid to buy this game, since it's releasing in the shadow of SWToR?

Yeah, I played the beta weekend. Mostly liked it, but it is, without a doubt, story oriented and not as social as some might like it to be.

The content, being so solo-oriented and story driven seems like a recipe for disaster just like SWToR. Sure, it might be fun the first time you play it through, but.. when you can basically get all of the skills and see all of the content, where is the replay value?

At least SWToR had rolling alts to see alternate stories going for it and the class stories were unique. This game has 3 mini starter areas until you get to the meat of the game, which is uniform for everybody, at least from what I've played.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is a lot to do in the game with people and groups you can form to conquer challenging foes, but none of that was present in the beta in Kingsmouth, at least not to any appreciable degree.

The whole story trend is starting to become disturbing. I like this games atmosphere and point and click elements, but ... does it really have any longevity, or will it just be a flash in the pan?

Comments

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309

No...one has nothing to do with the other

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

No, I'm afraid to buy TSW because it's made by Funcom. 

Definintely holding off until post-launch to see what sort of quality they manage to deliver.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

The longevity question again? To you OP, i ask you the same thing i asked to those who ask that: What's the difference with any themepark mmo?

What happens when you do all quests, all dungeons and reach the end of the story? Harder dungeon modes, pvp, crafting, metagaming, minigames, achivements, lore pieces, theatre in London to RP, and , maybe, if Funcom is awesome, large scale,community wide, really hard, ARG events.

Basicaly, the same thing has every themepark. Drain content, do the smaller amount that's left and wait for more updates. Can you please name me 1 mmorpg without player created/driven content that isn't like that?

I'm sorry if this came of has rude and offensive, btw, but it's not.

Originally posted by Kyleran

Definintely holding off until post-launch to see what sort of quality they manage to deliver.

Seriously?!?!?

Are you just one of those Funcom haters then? Because they have one of the best track records for MMOs unless you are a hater.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Kinchyle

Seriously?!?!?

Are you just one of those Funcom haters then? Because they have one of the best track records for MMOs unless you are a hater.

If AoC and AO are "the best track records for MMOs" than you and I have a VERY different definition of the word "best."

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

The story line/cut scenes in star wars are rated G.

They are rated R in TSW.

:D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

Originally posted by BadSpock

Seriously?!?!?

If AoC and AO are "the best track records for MMOs" than you and I have a VERY different definition of the word "best."

I'm sorry...but since I tested AO and it is STILL GOING and AoC is one of the BEST going....what world are you living in?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Seriously?!?!?

What world do you live in?  Here on this planet AO was reputed to be terrible at launch, (I wasn't there) and AOC was definitely terrible at launch ( I was there).

Both games might have improved as time passed, but I was long gone (as was most of the rest of gaming world)

I'm not a hater, past performance frequently is a good predictor of the future.

I'll wait and see how it goes first, then make my decision.

Edit: and if you think AOC is "best" then you and I have very different ideas about what makes an enjoyable MMORPG, in my case think more along the lines of DAOC, EVE, and you'll understand more of what I'm looking for.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Then you must either be fanboy or a troll cause they definately don't have the best track records for MMOs. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

TSW is no different than SWTOR...  same model.   Lean on story and cut-Scenes instead of gameplay.   garbage. Just like ToR is.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

No I don't it will either fail or it wont...

My problem however is if Funcom does the same thing that Enmasse has done with Tera.

When I purchased Tera, I expected to have a very fun experience and a great game to enjoy/play but within its first two weeks of launch Cash Shop asking me to pay $9.99 USD per character customization after that.

Their TOS/EULA was misleading/ misprinted site on the back of the manual therefore I agreed to nothing because I had made my account before they updated it to show agreement on registration.

Then I find they list their products as Electronic Downloads which are false listing, and do not say one time use on a lot of their products the way they are it misleads me making me think I can use them as much as I want.

TSW, it will fail or it won't but I am buying due to the fact that G1 as a company has killed Fallen Earth, and because Tera fails and I dropped my subscription.

At least I have been made away by FunCom unlike Enmasse that there will be a Cash Shop.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I'm sorry...but since I tested AO and it is STILL GOING and AoC is one of the BEST going....what world are you living in?

I am curious to know what you used to determine that Funcom makes the "best" MMO's?  Both their MMO's received poor reviews when released, have less subscribers than other big titles like Aion, WoW and ToR and have not been released as long as Ultima or EQ. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

PVE concept...developer isn't smart enough to realize in this day and age you really need to have both pve and pvp servers...with that mindset...I see fail in the future.  Wish them all the luck in the world, never want to see a company fail...so I hope i'm wrong.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156

I never played AO or AoC. 

I am playing TSW now. It's hard to belive the company that I'm dealing with now is the one people speak of having such a bad track record. 

Young independent company matures? 7 years refining the dream engine and working with nividia over that time maybe? I don't know but what they have now is pretty damn special. Runs great, great systems, tons of content. Sandbox heart in a themepark body.  Awesome customer service. Constant dev interaction. 

They kid that used to smoke weed and get bad grades and dress bad, quit smoking went to school and now is running for office? Idk lol.

Originally posted by Talonsin

I am curious to know what you used to determine that Funcom makes the "best" MMO's?  Both their MMO's received poor reviews when released, have less subscribers than other big titles like Aion, WoW and ToR and have not been released as long as Ultima or EQ. 

Never said best. Just disagreed with the moronic statement that Funcom is bad. You can read...right?

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I'm not really afraid to buy it. I thought the game was ok until I did an investigation quest that took me like 3 hours to complete.  I've always wanted a game that has a few quests that can possibly take a few hours or so to complete.  While it may not be perfect or my ideal MMO, the lore the time period and the investigation quests have really got me infatuated. 

Most of us have only seen the tip of the iceburg and the people who've seen more can't let us know how it is because of the NDA. Yeah Funcom srewed up but I'm willing to give them another chance on TSW. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

t/his game won't do better than SWTOR, it doesn't have the same market appeal, and the game play isn't innovative enough to attract new gamers.  

SWTOR will be fine, EA is not afraid to trim down staff and make their profit.  Thus keeping the game going with what they have. 

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by afhn2110

PVE concept...developer isn't smart enough to realize in this day and age you really need to have both pve and pvp servers...with that mindset...I see fail in the future.  Wish them all the luck in the world, never want to see a company fail...so I hope i'm wrong.

Wait for NDA to lift. When I heard there was no pvp server, I was like wtf too.  Trust me there is no need for one.  Sounds crazy I know... The persistant WZ, battle grounds, and fight clubs plus 500 abilities to mix and match, plus 3 factions warfare? =  a lot to do for a long time for any pvper. The fight clubs are huge. It's like Closed World PvP.  This game is a sleeper PvP smash hit.

If they did make one (said the might) holy shit, it would be the craziest login never leave blood bath you ever could imagine. Not now though, it would e to much to ask for any new game. Sounds crazy I know... NDA will lift soon.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Seriously?!?!?

One of the most ridiculous statements ever posted on these forums... 

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Seriously?!?!?

Thank you for making me laugh!  Your sarcasm is on point. That is very funny.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Never said best. Just disagreed with the moronic statement that Funcom is bad. You can read...right?

He can read.  You did say best. 

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Originally posted by simplyawful
    Yeah, I played the beta weekend. Mostly liked it, but it is, without a doubt, story oriented and not as social as some might like it to be.The content, being so solo-oriented and story driven seems like a recipe for disaster just like SWToR. Sure, it might be fun the first time you play it through, but.. when you can basically get all of the skills and see all of the content, where is the replay value?At least SWToR had rolling alts to see alternate stories going for it and the class stories were unique. This game has 3 mini starter areas until you get to the meat of the game, which is uniform for everybody, at least from what I've played.  Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe there is a lot to do in the game with people and groups you can form to conquer challenging foes, but none of that was present in the beta in Kingsmouth, at least not to any appreciable degree.The whole story trend is starting to become disturbing. I like this games atmosphere and point and click elements, but ... does it really have any longevity, or will it just be a flash in the pan?   

I'm afraid to buy it, but not for that reason. I'm afraid to buy it because it's a Funcom game and they have yet to release a game that doesn't take three months to make it playable. I still remember the Anarchy Online release. lol

• VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

I am more concerned they are rushing another game out the door before it is ready as they did with AO and AoC.  What they are showing you now in beta is what they want you to see.  For example in AoC the first 20-30 levels of the game or so were fantastic then the game fell apart completely.   

Any game that offers up a "lifetime sub " screams do not buy this game at launch.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

Didnt play AO but was there for AoC. Very sketchy launch and never a very strong community. They didnt earn the nickname "Failcom" for nothing, but I truely wish them success this time around. They have great ideas, they just never seem to bring it all together in such a way that keeps people around.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Seriously?!?!?

id like to know what world your living in that says aoc is one of the best going

its free to play,if it was so great.then why isnt it a sub fee mmo right now