Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: The Social Experience

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom and the development team behind The Secret World chose to engage players in a whole new way prior to the game's release later this summer. Playing The Secret War allowed players to participate in the game using social media to do so. We caught up with Erling Ellingsen to talk about The Secret War. See what he's got to say and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG: You have been really creating an amazing story with The Secret World, how much of that did the social game bring into light?

Erling Ellingsen: I would say The Secret War focused primarily on the conflict between the secret societies, rather than the ‘everything is true’ theme of the MMO. We definitely linked a lot of the game content into The Secret War, particularly the assets participants could share with their friends including screenshots and videos. The most important thing has been the secret society experience, from the new personality test to the actual mechanics of The Secret War social experience. Deploying agents into territories, seeing the territories turn from one secret society to the other, and to actively working together with other community members on tackling the weekly War Challenge – that’s what The Secret War primarily focused on.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Secret World: The Social Experience.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think their social game was actually kind of cool. I'd like to see them somehow roll the world ownership into the game, without the multi-level marketing aspects of the Facebook game.

Perhaps daily or weekly missions, where being successful contributed to your factions overall goals in some way. So if you complete your mission, this adds a point in your faction controlling half of the Indian sub-continent or something similar.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621
    While TSW may be very social outside the game my experience in 2 BWEs found it to be the most unsocial MMORPG I have ever tested in 12 years.
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by AlienShirt

While TSW may be very social outside the game my experience in 2 BWEs found it to be the most unsocial MMORPG I have ever tested in 12 years.

Thats ok because its a trans-media franchise.

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

Being social totally lies with the player.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

unfortunatelly, people nowadays want the game to talk for them too...

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

The Secret War was pretty fun (except having to click through a few hundred people to deploy them one at a time).  I ended up getting a lot of sweet unlocks for the upcoming game.

I think if more MMOs made pre-launch games like this with unlocks I'd probably play them.

• KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by rpgalon
    Originally posted by Soandsoso

unfortunatelly, people nowadays want the game to talk for them too...

I wont play an MMO nowdays unless it goes to the bathroom for me and fixes me grilled cheese sandwhiches. Jussayin

• MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I think their social game was actually kind of cool. I'd like to see them somehow roll the world ownership into the game, without the multi-level marketing aspects of the Facebook game.

I agree.

Erling Ellingsen: "I do think there has been a level of resistance to the experience due to it using Facebook Connect as a platform. It’s just not everyone’s cup of tea, and some expressed their wish for the experience to be accessible for those without a Facebook account. That’s value feedback and we understand the concern, but it was a conscious decision for us early on to use Facebook and its social networking functionality."

It's good to know, that they know, how some of us feel about it too. A good sign. With this kind of thinking and the ingame web browser, I am really liking the direction this is going in. Best of luck with this guys.

• Fuel68Fuel68 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Machination
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I agree.

Erling Ellingsen: "I do think there has been a level of resistance to the experience due to it using Facebook Connect as a platform. It’s just not everyone’s cup of tea, and some expressed their wish for the experience to be accessible for those without a Facebook account. That’s value feedback and we understand the concern, but it was a conscious decision for us early on to use Facebook and its social networking functionality."

It's good to know, that they know, how some of us feel about it too. A good sign. With this kind of thinking and the ingame web browser, I am really liking the direction this is going in. Best of luck with this guys.

Agreed.

I refuse to intermingle my Facebook contacts--exclusive friends & family--with the gaming platform stuff The Secret War is on.  I find it intrusive and prefer separation of my gaming and social media anyways.  I'm hoping Funcom gets feedback here also to seriously consider another platform away from FB--i've mentioned it already on their main forums.  Cannot wait for The Secret World gold release! ;)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I enjoyed this Facebook game, for the time it went. Nice idea to form a faction identity. Too bad we Templars pretty much lost, lol.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Elikal

I enjoyed this Facebook game, for the time it went. Nice idea to form a faction identity. Too bad we Templars pretty much lost, lol.

I thought the Templars won the War Challenge the last week of the war?

• SoandsosoSoandsoso Member Posts: 533

I did not participate because I had to use Facebook, which I avoid at all costs.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by cutthecrap
    Originally posted by Elikal

I thought the Templars won the War Challenge the last week of the war?

Really? It felt like the map was always green or blue. Any source?

EDIT: Found it myself. Wow, you were right! We won. Yay us! XD

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=31863

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
     Originally posted by AlienShirt

Yeah it was pretty quiet when I played also...You'd get the occasional quest question, but that was about the extent of chat....Also everything was soloable so there was no need to group up.....ALso the whole 3 factions set up is pretty worthless...You cant tell one from another  and, except for the short starting zones, they all have pretyy much the same quest lines.....TSW just felt like alot of talk and little substance.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Theocritus
     Originally posted by AlienShirt While TSW may be very social outside the game my experience in 2 BWEs found it to be the most unsocial MMORPG I have ever tested in 12 years.
              Yeah it was pretty quiet when I played also...You'd get the occasional quest question, but that was about the extent of chat....Also everything was soloable so there was no need to group up.....ALso the whole 3 factions set up is pretty worthless...You cant tell one from another  and, except for the short starting zones, they all have pretyy much the same quest lines.....TSW just felt like alot of talk and little substance.

There was only one faction available in the BWEs. Too much of this these days. People making up lies to prove a point about something they have no experience with. Makes discussion pretty difficult.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by AlienShirt While TSW may be very social outside the game my experience in 2 BWEs found it to be the most unsocial MMORPG I have ever tested in 12 years.

There was only one faction available in the BWEs. Too much of this these days. People making up lies to prove a point about something they have no experience with. Makes discussion pretty difficult.

Except that you can't engage the other factions in open world PvP so for all intents and purposes everyone is on the same side.

[mod edit]

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by Theocritus  Originally posted by AlienShirt While TSW may be very social outside the game my experience in 2 BWEs found it to be the most unsocial MMORPG I have ever tested in 12 years.
    Except that you can't engage the other factions in open world PvP so for all intents and purposes everyone is on the same side.

Except for the faction specific scenarios which the dev team has disclosed in multiple interviews.

Except for the faction specific scenarios which the dev team has disclosed in multiple interviews.

You mean like battlegrounds? That's all fine and dandy but from what I've gathered, most of the PvE content is the same for all 3 factions.

Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by heartless Originally posted by DannyGlover   Originally posted by Theocritus  Originally posted by AlienShirt While TSW may be very social outside the game my experience in 2 BWEs found it to be the most unsocial MMORPG I have ever tested in 12 years.
    You mean like battlegrounds? That's all fine and dandy but from what I've gathered, most of the PvE content is the same for all 3 factions.

the tokyo fashback is three different viewpoints and storylines based on the faction you choose. the same goes for other quest chains where you will be playing different roles in the scenario based on your faction. Raqnar Tornquist has commented on this a few times in past interviews

the tokyo fashback is three different viewpoints and storylines based on the faction you choose. the same goes for other quest chains where you will be playing different roles in the scenario based on your faction. Raqnar Tornquist has commented on this a few times in past interviews

But most of the content is the same, correct?

But most of the content is the same, correct?

I dont know. If I had to guess Id say yes since this is a story driven themepark.

• cutthecrapcutthecrap Member Posts: 600

TSW in contrat to AoC won't have open world PvP, setting is one of cooperation between factions to deal with a bigger threat while being in a cold war with eachother on the side. So no open all-out warfare, but a number of contained conflicts, like in the structured PvP and the persistent PvP area.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

Funcom and the development team behind The Secret World chose to engage players in a whole new way prior to the game's release later this summer. Playing The Secret War allowed players to participate in the game using social media to do so. We caught up with Erling Ellingsen to talk about The Secret War. See what he's got to say and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

MMORPG: You have been really creating an amazing story with The Secret World, how much of that did the social game bring into light?

Erling Ellingsen: I would say The Secret War focused primarily on the conflict between the secret societies, rather than the ‘everything is true’ theme of the MMO. We definitely linked a lot of the game content into The Secret War, particularly the assets participants could share with their friends including screenshots and videos. The most important thing has been the secret society experience, from the new personality test to the actual mechanics of The Secret War social experience. Deploying agents into territories, seeing the territories turn from one secret society to the other, and to actively working together with other community members on tackling the weekly War Challenge – that’s what The Secret War primarily focused on.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Secret World: The Social Experience.

The Secret War was an utter joke. Basically, Funcom wanted fans to spam their friends with their marketing material and change their profile pictures.