Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Inferno Launch Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Inferno, the latest in a long string of expansions to EVE Online launched earlier this week. We managed to catch up with CCP's Lead Game Designer Kristoffer Touborg and Senior Producer Jonathan Lander to talk all about Inferno and what it brings to EVE. Read on!

MMORPG: This is a free expansion for players, tell us about how it impacts the game?

KRISOFFER TOUBORG: It should keep that wonderful and healthy war machine going. EVE’s ecosystem relies on ships being built regularly and then getting blown up, so giving players the tools to do this is essential. In faction warfare, we’re now actively rewarding players for killing other players. Apart from the usual rewards of modules and salvage, players will now receive loyalty points which they can use in their factions loyalty point store. Mostly we’ve put a reward on contributing to your faction in a multitude of ways, to make sure war is indeed great business. We’ve also started balancing the frigates in EVE and will be shipping the first batch. New players get better tools to participate and join the action, so if you’re worried about not being able to contribute off the bat, jump in the new frigates and go shoot someone. We’re going to balance all of them and Inferno is the first round.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's EVE Online: Inferno Launch Interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RaffertyRafferty Member Posts: 9

As one of those old accounts that voted with my "pocket book" during Monacle Gate, the leak of the internal company newsletter, along with the amazingly pigheaded response by the ceo about how to read the player base, I have got to say current events in Eve look promising. It looks to me they are making good on recent promises. Is everything rosy? Not in the least, but for me it has always been about trust. In a game like Eve, and after you invest literally years of subscription fees, not to mention time, having faith in the direction the game is being steered is all important.

Yep it looks promising. May just have to take a closer look here soon and see how the old crew is doing. Or instead of getting caught up in all the old crap, have some fun while testing out the faction warfare for the first time :)

Nice interview...thank you

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Resubbing stat!!!

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Species5021Species5021 Member Posts: 44

The new missile animations are georgeous, pvp looks a hell of a lot different graphics wise, being shot by a kestrel is a beautifull sight :P

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Yup, getting more and more tempting to resub for me too.

They are on the right track with this stuff.

Does anyone know what they did with the Concord bribes for war decs? Did they change  much?

I can see how the ability to easily find mercs is something which will benefit especially fresh player corps when they get lol-decced by high-sec pseudo pirate corporations.

Also the new 'splosions and missile effects are very appealing. (As if Caldari wasn't popular enough, *shakes fist*)

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

the change on EvE product management was a good thing (look at fanfest videos)

BestSigEver :P

• JakuzaJakuza Member Posts: 14

Time to check the anger how growing up on EVE forum because of new crap and unusable Unified Inventory system.

• GreenzorGreenzor Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Jakuza

Time to check the anger how growing up on EVE forum because of new crap and unusable Unified Inventory system.

The new UI is great. They added functionality and the "unusability" was due to a bug already fixed in the last patch. You may find a few confused peeps who keep ranting tho.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

"We have seen EVE ships firing down onto planets in support of the foot soldiers in DUST 514, and that, along with a tie-in to our factional warfare system and other features we are building, will make 2012 an amazing year for both EVE and DUST."

Holy crap - nerdgasm! From a pure technology standpoint, this is simply amazing.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

the new inventory system and t1 frig revamp are great ... let's hope they follow with cruisers and BCs ...

Originally posted by Greenzor

The new UI is great. They added functionality and the "unusability" was due to a bug already fixed in the last patch. You may find a few confused peeps who keep ranting tho.

Really great ? That's why wrote thousands and thousands players on eve forum why hate it, because the new inventory system is crap, unusable and horrible.

• RaffertyRafferty Member Posts: 9

Always good to keep an eye on the forums while sifting through all the crap posts. As I stated above "Is everything rosy? Not in the least, but for me it has always been about trust." the unified inventory issue will be a good test to see if CCP is listening or not. It appears that they are judging by recent posts from the devs. I decided to create a trial account and chat with old corp mates before resubbing and I have got to tell you that I did not hear any complimentary words coming from my old mates concerning the new unified inventory. =P

Over all though they seemed to be more that supportive of the expansion. Time will tell.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Greenzor

Really great ? That's why wrote thousands and thousands players on eve forum why hate it, because the new inventory system is crap, unusable and horrible.

I see a few dozen people on the forums, not "thousands and thousands".

I wonder how much of the "thousands and thousands" campaign is due to one significant effect of the new inventory in particular: http://nosygamer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/inferno-botting-launch-day-blues.html

Give me liberty or give me lasers

You tell untruth things. The few players is 99.5 percentage of the active players.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=112481&p=39

Just +39 new pages born within 2 days almost all user on this forum wrote hate posts from new UI.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=104383&p=48

Just +23 new pages born within 2 days almost all user on this forum wrote hate posts from new UI.

Let's see the last posts:

"The inventory system is crap crap crap and for those who say it can't go back are totally wrong."

"basically PERFORMANCE is still veeeery poor, well....as I posted this, i transfered a semisized chunk of items and
    I would go as far as say its EXTREMELY horribly terribly poor.
    If the PERFORMANCE of transfering/trading items isnt improved (meaning the actual raw speed of transfering items), please
    give Old Inventory as an option."

"please don't trickle in fixes, restore old one and if you feel you still want to have new one make it optional. It is really terrible for anyone that shifts and sorts their inventory frequently or uses any kind of POS services..."

"They deserve the egg on the face.
    This crap was tagged as being crap since when it appeared on the test server."

"Considering how intregral part of the gamer expirience the UI is, its a potential make or break gamechanger.
    At the moment its in the "breaker" part of town with regards to my personal gamestyle.
    I completely understand that for some the new UI is very convinient and even helpful, but for others it completely
    ruins it. I belong to the latter group."

"Incarna all over again. Maybe some of the people behind the new UI will get made redundant this time...
    We dont want fixes to the new UI, we dont want it at all."

"CCP does not listen to their players (customers) at all...!?!?!?!

The UNIFIED INVENTORY is the worst idea I have seen in all the upgrades/patches since I started playing the game many years ago. Why would CCP fix a system that worked well and had no problems? And best of all, it failed on SISI and the players all let CCP know about it and they still forced it on us anyway.

I am seeing between 95% to 99% of comments in the forums asking for a return to the old true INVETORY SYSTEM with persistem windows. In my own personal experience the game is now unplayable, I can not manage my POS, or actually do Ratting or Mining in 0.0 with out considerable time and effort. Tasks that used to take only a few key clicks now take me an hour to perform. Then once I leave the station or the POS and return I have to do it all over again, what joy!!!

When the game ceases to be fun and is now a frustrating and extremely time consuming, I no longer desire to spend time in it..."

"CCP Punkturis wrote:

I was working on War Dec and Kill Reports this release - hope you like that stuff!

WolfSchwarzMond answer:

This was on the 1st page of the EVE Online: Inferno - Feedback thread. Post number 10. This tells me that CCP knew we'd hate this new Inventory. There a is Dev going "Don't blame me. I was working on something else.!"

So after 25 pages here and 50 pages in the Feedback Thread, 90% of them saying this thing is "CRAP" or "junk" or "Stupid" or that is just "SUX" the question is simple. Why can't CCP learn from it's own mistakes? We've been here before......]

"Red flags raised by very smart people both at CCP and in the community went unheeded because of my stubborn refusal to allow adversity to gain purchase on our plans." -Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO

And so CCP have repeated the same mistake. Making a change, testing it, getting feeback from players that said "THIS SUCKS" then ramming it down the player's collective throats anyway.

"The greatest lesson for me is the realization that EVE belongs to you, and we at CCP are just the hosts of your experience." -Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO

Well Sir, this was a lesson you didn't learn. You are proving it. The new inventory has made Looting from Wrecks, Player Owned Station operations, Jetcan Mining, Corporate Hanger Ops, and dealing with large amounts of items into a tedious, time wasting, torture sessions. The new system lags. It in some cases makes it harder to find things. It makes you repeat the same actions over and over and over where before it was once. Your people were told time and again during Sisi testing that this change was not a good idea, but you did it anyway. Again....

I would humbly suggest that you either Rollback this change or make it optional as you did with the whole Captain's Quarters fiasco. Let us not take this latest lack of good judgement and turn it into International news.
    Prove to us you can learn from your mistakes. And stop repeating them.

Quotes taken from here http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=2672"

"CCP Punkturis wrote:

I was working on War Dec and Kill Reports this release - hope you like that stuff!

WolfSchwarzMond answer:

This was on the 1st page of the EVE Online: Inferno - Feedback thread. Post number 10. This tells me that CCP knew we'd hate this new Inventory. There a is Dev going "Don't blame me. I was working on something else.!"

So after 25 pages here and 50 pages in the Feedback Thread, 90% of them saying this thing is "CRAP" or "junk" or "Stupid" or that is just "SUX" the question is simple. Why can't CCP learn from it's own mistakes? We've been here before......]

"Red flags raised by very smart people both at CCP and in the community went unheeded because of my stubborn refusal to allow adversity to gain purchase on our plans." -Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO

And so CCP have repeated the same mistake. Making a change, testing it, getting feeback from players that said "THIS SUCKS" then ramming it down the player's collective throats anyway.

"The greatest lesson for me is the realization that EVE belongs to you, and we at CCP are just the hosts of your experience." -Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO

Well Sir, this was a lesson you didn't learn. You are proving it. The new inventory has made Looting from Wrecks, Player Owned Station operations, Jetcan Mining, Corporate Hanger Ops, and dealing with large amounts of items into a tedious, time wasting, torture sessions. The new system lags. It in some cases makes it harder to find things. It makes you repeat the same actions over and over and over where before it was once. Your people were told time and again during Sisi testing that this change was not a good idea, but you did it anyway. Again....

I would humbly suggest that you either Rollback this change or make it optional as you did with the whole Captain's Quarters fiasco. Let us not take this latest lack of good judgement and turn it into International news.
    Prove to us you can learn from your mistakes. And stop repeating them.

Quotes taken from here http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=2672"

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Dont worry Malcanis is well known hardcore eve fan if not eve employee .

Not related to malcanis but i had always suspect before CCP using employes/contractors at forums for schiling but after this UI crap im 100% sure . Btw posts to CCP soundvawes reply cencored as usual .

For people unknown to situation new inverntory sytem they brought make thing very tedious and creates lag  and they putted this crap while they warned before at Test Server .

Things we can make with just one click waste our time now ,warping to a POS ( player space station for unfamiliar ) drops 50% FPS when inventory opened  (with just one person at there )  .I dont want to think while hundreds/thousands where at a pos for a titan bridge .

Moving things around became a pain .

You tell untruth things. The few players is 99.5 percentage of the active players.