Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will mmorpg.com ever do another review of the game.

Delsus1Delsus1 Member Posts: 48

So looking at the last review on mmorpg.com seems like the outdated review will stay up forever, here is a quote from the second paragraph of the review:

Here at MMORPG.com, we are aware that games are always patching and game updates are pending pretty much forever. However, until those changes are live on the servers, we cannot anticipate how they will affect the gameplay or community, and therefore those rumors and announcements do not affect the score card detailed below. We feel we’ve waited more than long enough to give FFXIV a fair shake.  Check back with us later this year for an update after those changes are live.

Um... yeah this update never came, I am posting after this review was released http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Final_Fantasy_XIV/index5.html which is putting the game in a decent light.

Mmorpg never delivered on this update on the changes the said they would give, could it have been because the game is getting better, and they did not want to post a half way positive review?

Comments

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

I hope they wait until after 2.0 launches if they do.  Right now, reviewing the game in it's current state of transition won't really do much good.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Mishakai

I hope they wait until after 2.0 launches if they do.  Right now, reviewing the game in it's current state of transition won't really do much good.

Agreed, not much point until the game is 'ready for rerelease' according to square enix

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Delsus1Delsus1 Member Posts: 48

I think it could be beneficial, to post a review asap (whilst playing a decent amount of the game) there are so many haters on this site that will not listen to anyone except reviewers, even at 2.0 if the haters are still calling the game a "trainwreck" based on outdated thoughts it will not do much good, I would say the game feels alot more complete now than the last mmorpg review, and the rpg gamer review reflects that, we need a few more reviews from the end of 1.xx to show how far the devs have come with it.

Then when 2.0 goes live (not beta) do another review, there have been alot of changes that I believe more people will like, but judging by the welcome back thread people aren't even willing to try the game for free because they haven't read an up to date review (so many comments mentioning "I read this, that and the other, so I will not go back until 2.0")

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by spankybus

Agreed, not much point until the game is 'ready for rerelease' according to square enix

I agree, I returned for the free week and the game is still not ready for release. At least they are taking some time on the relaunch, its not due until the end of the year.

At the moment the game doesnt deserve more than a mediocre score just because combat and the UI is so terrible, which is a shame because the graphics and world are amazing.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Just a simple answer, all cryptic like... YES.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Originally posted by evilastro

I agree, I returned for the free week and the game is still not ready for release. At least they are taking some time on the relaunch, its not due until the end of the year.

At the moment the game doesnt deserve more than a mediocre score just because combat and the UI is so terrible, which is a shame because the graphics and world are amazing.

I'm just wondering, where did you do combat? normal mobs solo, or Ifrit/Moogle/Garuda/Cutters Cry/Aurum vale?

The endgame places are awesome for combat with the different skills needed, Ifrit you have to avoid attacks while doing combos to pump out the damage (timing a frontal combo just right so you don't mpk the tank is awesome) Moogle is just a shit storm after memento moogle, Garuda requires tons of dps or arial blast will wipe you, cutters cry the mass of crowd control, while damaging the bosses is cool, aurum vale the poisoned air while fighting really adds to it.

If you didn't like the combat, I can't believe you actually did endgame content because thats where the changes really show.

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Sorry for the double post, but is this Yes you will be doing one, or Yes you are working on it? I really liked the rpg gamer review (not because it was positive) because it showed the reviewer played the whole game which (and I'm not trying to troll, and no one can deny) the mmorpg review did not seem like, it seemed like they played 1hr most.

I just hope it will be a review of all the content.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Though some would appreciate the improvements, you could still argue it’s a mess, the combat and targeting is the worst I’ve ever seen, and the leaves are still bad, and for some with certain GPUs you can’t even play it the optimization is so bad.

I acknowledge that this is still the legacy of Tenaka's brain numbing stupidity, but until Yoshida can remake this in his own image even a positive review could backfire as a lot of people will be disappointed by its current state, (as I was). It’s best for FFXIV to stay below the radar for all but the truly dedicated till 2.0.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Delsus1

If you didn't like the combat, I can't believe you actually did endgame content because thats where the changes really show.

Sure endgame may rock, but what about the journey there? I can't even bare to get to lvl 20. The combat mechanics are clunky, slow, redundant and very counter intuitive for keyboard users, and this is comparing to every mmo and even console ports I have ever played, and given the bad questing endgame is not worth grinding for at this stage.

Extra tactics from bosses will not make the frustrating targeting any better. You shouldn’t have to get to endgame to enjoy the game. Besides all the changes and additions have been made to mid to end game to keep the current players, it’s not worth it for beginners or low lvl as they won’t be addressing that part of the game till 2.0. From launch until this week there are no changes to lvls 1-20 at all, it’s still the same leaves and behests, and the combat (apart from the positioning) is the same.
    Originally posted by zevni78
    Though some would appreciate the improvements, you could still argue it’s a mess, the combat and targeting is the worst I’ve ever seen, and the leaves are still bad, and for some with certain GPUs you can’t even play it the optimization is so bad.

I acknowledge that this is still the legacy of Tenaka's brain numbing stupidity, but until Yoshida can remake this in his own image even a positive review could backfire as a lot of people will be disappointed by its current state, (as I was). It’s best for FFXIV to stay below the radar for all but the truly dedicated till 2.0.

If the reviewers stress that 2.0 is round the corner and that is an entire rebuild it shouldn't, and seriously there are people reading up on the game wanting to come back to see the changes but arent reading anything, another review just before the welcome back campaign would have been ideal to show what changes there have been.

SE's real marketing will come at and after E3, but if the reviewers keep reviews up to date, it will show people what is really going on ingame, rather than reading outdated reviews.

These outdated reviews being updated could help the game, the more people playing means there are more people to voice concerns, rather than the few people we have now.

Originally posted by zevni78

Sure endgame may rock, but what about the journey there? I can't even bare to get to lvl 20. The combat mechanics are clunky, slow, redundant and very counter intuitive for keyboard users, and this is comparing to every mmo and even console ports I have ever played, and given the bad questing endgame is not worth grinding for at this stage.

Extra tactics from bosses will not make the frustrating targeting any better. You shouldn’t have to get to endgame to enjoy the game. Besides all the changes and additions have been made to mid to end game to keep the current players, it’s not worth it for beginners or low lvl as they won’t be addressing that part of the game till 2.0. From launch until this week there are no changes to lvls 1-20 at all, it’s still the same leaves and behests, and the combat (apart from the positioning) is the same.

There's Shposhe is leves and behests aren't your cup of tea, go there low level make a party and kill things, party play is where the game really starts to shine, because you can use the new combat mechanics alot more efficiantly, and yes I agree low level content is lacking, but if you can get to the point where you can start to party thats when you will see the game shine.

FFXI was grind based leveling people didn't mind about that which is probably where SE are working from, but if you find a decent party the game is alot more enjoyable, it was never designed to be a fun solo grind, its more focused on party play, and if you don't like party play, then maybe MMOs aren't for you.

I'm just wondering, where did you do combat? normal mobs solo, or Ifrit/Moogle/Garuda/Cutters Cry/Aurum vale?

The endgame places are awesome for combat with the different skills needed, Ifrit you have to avoid attacks while doing combos to pump out the damage (timing a frontal combo just right so you don't mpk the tank is awesome) Moogle is just a shit storm after memento moogle, Garuda requires tons of dps or arial blast will wipe you, cutters cry the mass of crowd control, while damaging the bosses is cool, aurum vale the poisoned air while fighting really adds to it.

I was midlevel, but you are confusing boss scripts with the actual combat.

As it stands, the way combat is executed is not intuitive or fun in any sense of the word. This all goes back to the horrible UI that they have set up. Designing this as cross platform by limiting the UI was the biggest mistake they could have made.

Unless I magically get a new UI which is fun to use when I start doing those end game encounters, I dont see how a boss script would make the game any more fun for me?

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

As it stands, the way combat is executed is not intuitive or fun in any sense of the word. This all goes back to the horrible UI that they have set up. Designing this as cross platform by limiting the UI was the biggest mistake they could have made.

Unless I magically get a new UI which is fun to use when I start doing those end game encounters, I dont see how a boss script would make the game any more fun for me?

Well in 2.0 the server/client fixes are supposed to address the responsiveness of using abilities which is a big complaint.

They will also allow more customization (more bars displayed at once, drag and drop items to hotbar etc.), and custom UI add-ons.  I don't care about any of these as I don't use them in games that have them since I prefer macro'ing which FFXIV already supports.

That being said what else would you change about the UI to make combat "fun or intuitive in any sense of the word".  Some parts of the UI annoy me, but I don't see their connection to combat.  You seem to just be regurgitating buzz words to me, especially with the whole "cross platform blah blah blah worst mistake EVER" crap, so what is your actual issue with combat currently?

Maybe use more descriptive terms than "fun".

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523

Please don't do it until after 2.0

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

Originally posted by Murugan

Well in 2.0 the server/client fixes are supposed to address the responsiveness of using abilities which is a big complaint.

They will also allow more customization (more bars displayed at once, drag and drop items to hotbar etc.), and custom UI add-ons.  I don't care about any of these as I don't use them in games that have them since I prefer macro'ing which FFXIV already supports.

That being said what else would you change about the UI to make combat "fun or intuitive in any sense of the word".  Some parts of the UI annoy me, but I don't see their connection to combat.  You seem to just be regurgitating buzz words to me, especially with the whole "cross platform blah blah blah worst mistake EVER" crap, so what is your actual issue with combat currently?

Slow, clunky, non-responsive... pick whichever buzzword you want, they are all true. Aside from some class streamlining and an autoattack, have they even done anything to the combat? Because it feels just as bad as it was at launch, and everyone knows how bad that was.

You cant honestly say with a straight face that the intended cross platform isnt the primary cause of all the UI failures. Just look at it, its clearly designed to be played on a Playstation and not a keyboard.

White knight the game all you want, but lets not be naive here, the game is still not up to scratch in terms of combat quality and everyone knows it.

Slow, clunky, non-responsive... pick whichever buzzword you want, they are all true. Aside from some class streamlining and an autoattack, have they even done anything to the combat? Because it feels just as bad as it was at launch, and everyone knows how bad that was.

You cant honestly say with a straight face that the intended cross platform isnt the primary cause of all the UI failures. Just look at it, its clearly designed to be played on a Playstation and not a keyboard.

White knight the game all you want, but lets not be naive here, the game is still not up to scratch in terms of combat quality and everyone knows it.

Yeah, because it still takes 6 seconds to use an ability after you hit the button, it still takes 10 seconds to sell one item,  yes there are improvements needed and we are reaching the limits of the client, which is why 2.0 will use a new client.

Also yes the UI was designed around being a controller/keyboard hybrid, (people actually play PC games with a controller /shocked) if it was designed around a controller how come I can press buttons 1 through 0 to use actions, how come I can map keys to bring up inventory, journal, achievements windows etc?

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

See this is what I mean, you are posting these angry rants but they really have no substance.  "White knight, cross platform ruined this game etc."  "nothing has changed". 

Lots has changed to combat:

-Movement now interupts spells

-They added an MP regen

-They completely redid enmity

-They added combos

-They removed basic actions (each class used to have multiple TP building actions which made up the bukl of actual combat)

-They changed the way buffs worked

And no cross platform has nothing to do with the bad UI, the poorly designed UI and engine are to blame for the UI.  This is a major point of revision in 2.0 that they have stressed they are going to improve on.  And the concept screenshot shows ways that they are going to do that, what is your issue with the UI?  Maybe I can tell you if they have told us they are fixing that or not.

You say things like "just look at it" and ""combat is not fun or intuitive in any sense of the word" as if those statements are supposed to mean something.  But you don't actually say anything about what you don't like about combat in this game, so I don't know what you are talking about. 

For example here is how you do it:

I dislike the following things about combat in FFXIV.

Combo System

I would rather that the directional requirements on melee combos simply added a bonus rather than being requried for a continuation of the combo altogether.  This issue is compounded by server/client issues on the current version, and in fast paced fights, and especially fights that include models which have a thinner profile such as Garuda/Moogles it makes getting off combos much harder on melee.

This makes melees drastically more difficult to play well on these encounters than jobs like Black Mage or Archer whose combos do not have a requirement for example that you be at the left or right side of the mob when performing the first or second step in the combo.

Hate Transfer

Since the recent nerf of Collusion there is a lack of a very effective hate transfer mechanic in game.  I believe one of the DD jobs should be given hate transfer, somethign similar to FFXI Thief's Trick Attack.  This just adds a much appreciated layer to party combat that I miss.  Collusion itself before the nerf though very powerful was really only half of this, since it just transfered the hate of the next attack of that person to the warrior.  It is the reason that warrior was such an immensly powerfult hate generator (it still is, but less so).

Battle Regimens

Are coming back in an improved form, but some sort of sympathetic party dmg system is missing from this game until it does.

Elemental Spells

I'd rather that Black Mage relied more on various elements rather than spell lines focusing on different aspects.  Right now Thunder is single target dmg, fire is AOE/DoT, and Ice is Bind/Enmity reduction.  You want to avoid certain types of magic on some abilities, but since they are each so specialized it really just would make BLM less desirable for example if they introduced an endgame encounter that was heavily resistant to Thunder.

See how that works?  Now you try.  What do you dislike about combat in FFXIV?  Can you elaborate on "Slow, clunky, non-responsive... pick whichever buzzword you want, they are all true.

Maybe instead of using others' buzzwords try and use your own words and thoughts.

For example what do you mean by slow?  Do you mean it is literally slow when you hit a button and the action is performed as in responsiveness of the client/server?  Or do you mean the pacing of combat.  At 50 with non caster jobs I am hitting an ability at least once every few seconds, and during combos obviously I'm using a string of attacks and buffs together so it speeds up considerably.  As a caster I am using a spell every 4-5 seconds with buffs grouped closely together to make use of combos.

Example:

As a Monk when focusing just on dmg

First 30 seconds

Invigorate, quelling strike, shoulder tackle wait 2-3 seconds, pounce>demolish>call for collusion>blood for blood>blindside>Howling Fist wait 3-4 seconds for TP pounce>move to side>Sucker Punch>Keen Flurry>Quelling Strike>Dragon Kick

Second 30 seconds

Pummel>move to side>concussive Blow>Simian Thrash.  Auto attack, Pounce>move to side>wait 5 seconds (DK timer)Sucker Punch>wait 5 seconds (DK timer)>Dragon Kick

1:00-1:30

Shoulder Tackle>Pounce>(wait 5 seconds HF timer)>Demolish>wait 5 seconds (HF Timer)>Blindside/Blood for Blood Howling Fist

repeat (with featherfoot thrown in, and haymaker and other things as necessary depending on encounter)

As a monk on a fight like garuda it is much more hectic as I'm also toggling fists of fire on and off to do dmg to plumes and garuda/chirada and moving around a great deal.

As a BLM on most fights (which I consider the most boring job it is still fairly fast paced)

thunder>parsimony>thundara>elemental seal/quelling strike>thundaga>thunder>wait 2 seconds>thundara>hate dump>thunder>wait 5 seconds>thundara>wait 2 seconds>thunder>wait 5 seconds thundara>wait 2 seconds>thunder>wait 5 seconds thundara>elemental seal/quelling strike>thundaga etc. etc. until I have to thunder>thundara>convert/elemental seal/necrogenesis>burst/second wind

So I find no problem with the pacing.  I'd like more variety in abilities which I'm sure will come as it does in all MMO's as they mature, but I dont' see how the pacing itself could be any faster than it is currently without just becoming entirely mindless spam.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by GPrestige

I am pretty sure MMORPG as well as other major MMO media outlets (online or magazines) are going to give Version 2.0 a go. Chances are they won't put up the updated review until a couple of weeks or up to a month after it is released, so I don't think we have to worry about that.

Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    Originally posted by GPrestige

I am pretty sure MMORPG as well as other major MMO media outlets (online or magazines) are going to give Version 2.0 a go. Chances are they won't put up the updated review until a couple of weeks or up to a month after it is released, so I don't think we have to worry about that.

Sorry but MMORPG has posted most of thier reviews 1 or 2 days before a major patch will be released (when we already have the confirmation that there will be maintanance to implement the patch) I remember thier review 2 days before 1.18, then a review 4 days before 1.19, then they stopped reviewing the game.