Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My account hacked..

GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

I logged in to find all of my money gone and only a few crappy items left.. I started the battle.net account just for this game. I've not been to any shady websites and I havent opened any emails.  I've been waiting two days for a response from Blizzard and so far nothing.  This is definately not my fault so please don't try and say that it is...

My question is about the Authenticator. I didn't know there was one so I just downloaded it for my Iphone. Will that be enough to keep my account safe or am I just wasting my time grinding money just to have it stolen again?  Thanks for any advice..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Comments

• darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111

Well to start off

Ask Blizzard

and second, ye that mobile thingy will just work fine...if not then ye yer doing something wrong

• gorro187gorro187 Member UncommonPosts: 234

Spend the 5-6 dollars for a phyiscal one. and make a password thats 30 things long. or whatever the cap is.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

There are no confirmed reports of people with authenticators being hacked, that I know of.

Yes, the hacking was your fault.  It doesn't matter how secure you think you are.  If you used your password for any other site or game, they probably have it. 

• rooster99rooster99 Member UncommonPosts: 30

my wow account got hacked 3 times till i got one

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The authenticator is a good thing to have and offers a way to secure your account beyond the username/password. I've not heard of anyone having their account compromised once they have an authenticator.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

It was a unique password..  Only thing that is somewhat my fault is I didn't know about the authenticator..  Still don't see how this is my fault...  I've never used a password close to what I used.

edited: This was directed at Syntax

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    It was a unique password..  Only thing that is somewhat my fault is I didn't know about the authenticator..  Still don't see how this is my fault...  I've never used a password close to what I used. edited: This was directed at Syntax

What Syntax means is that it's just so unlikely that you didn't do something to allow this to happen, that the odds may as well be 0.

Nobody guessed your password, and nobody spent the 15 days or so it would take trying to log into your account with the correct password. That's just so unlikely, it's silly.

You did something. You may not be aware of what you did, but you did something to allow this to happen. What sucks is that you probably didn't do anything dumb, it's just that your OS or your Browser have flaws and they can be exploited by people with nothing to lose.

For instance, if you went to a programming website, to get information on the Lua programming language used to write macros in WoW (very common if you wanted to write an interface mod), you could have seen advertisements that run along the side of the page. Along with annoying images, the adverts come with Javascript, that if you're running a specific browser, will exploit a flaw, download a trojan and then log all your keystrokes. The keystrokes are then sent to a server someplace and then you lose all your stuff in Diablo 3. And so on.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I use 16 digit (or whatever the Battlenet maximum is) encrypted passwords via KeePass changed on a 30 day basis. No authenticator. I challenge those hacking fools to crack my account!

Originally posted by lizardbones

It was a unique password..  Only thing that is somewhat my fault is I didn't know about the authenticator..  Still don't see how this is my fault...  I've never used a password close to what I used.

edited: This was directed at Syntax

What Syntax means is that it's just so unlikely that you didn't do something to allow this to happen, that the odds may as well be 0.

Nobody guessed your password, and nobody spent the 15 days or so it would take trying to log into your account with the correct password. That's just so unlikely, it's silly.

You did something. You may not be aware of what you did, but you did something to allow this to happen. What sucks is that you probably didn't do anything dumb, it's just that your OS or your Browser have flaws and they can be exploited by people with nothing to lose.

For instance, if you went to a programming website, to get information on the Lua programming language used to write macros in WoW (very common if you wanted to write an interface mod), you could have seen advertisements that run along the side of the page. Along with annoying images, the adverts come with Javascript, that if you're running a specific browser, will exploit a flaw, download a trojan and then log all your keystrokes. The keystrokes are then sent to a server someplace and then you lose all your stuff in Diablo 3. And so on.

I see what you are saying.. It just sucks I have to deal with this. I'm playing a SINGLE PLAYER game!!!

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

I logged in to find all of my money gone and only a few crappy items left.. I started the battle.net account just for this game. I've not been to any shady websites and I havent opened any emails.  I've been waiting two days for a response from Blizzard and so far nothing.  This is definately not my fault so please don't try and say that it is...

My question is about the Authenticator. I didn't know there was one so I just downloaded it for my Iphone. Will that be enough to keep my account safe or am I just wasting my time grinding money just to have it stolen again?  Thanks for any advice..

Your account is very safe with authenticator. I'll be you used the same password for your battle net account hat you have for other accounts. If that is true you need to go change those passwords right now.

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

Your account is very safe with authenticator. I'll be you used the same password for your battle net account hat you have for other accounts. If that is true you need to go change those passwords right now.

Thanks for the info. I changed the password right before I installed the authenticator. So far so good:)  Back to grinding money. It's painful in nightmare wth no clothes..

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by syntax42

There are no confirmed reports of people with authenticators being hacked, that I know of.

Yes, the hacking was your fault.  It doesn't matter how secure you think you are.  If you used your password for any other site or game, they probably have it. 

I saw a reviewer that got hacked with an authenticator and many more forum goers claiming to get hacked with an authenticator.  Blizzard said that they had no claims that they had already investigated where the authenticator was bypassed, and confirmed that in the past blizzard accounts with authenticators have been compromised.

For myself though, putting one on stopped the person who was accessing my account.