Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the most populated free MMORPG?

Envee17Envee17 Member Posts: 6

Please do not include LoL

Comments

• CcDohlCcDohl Member Posts: 65

World of Warcraft. Free for the first 20 levels!

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I'm betting its Aion.  Game seemed very healthy when I logged in last.

Also, the keys for the pets simply flew off websites... soo many people wanted em.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832
    I'm thinking it could be LotRO, actually. It always seems to have a healthy population.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Well if you can consider it free I feel like Runescape is extremely populated. At least compared to most MMORPG's. Aion and Lineage 2 are up there now too since you don't really have to pay anything for them at all.

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354

Maplestory.

Why you think Nexon is making so much money?

• DefectDefect Member Posts: 246

Runes of Magic had a huge population last time I played. It has been a few years though. Since Aion is now Free to Play it would have to be the largest Free to Play MMORPG at this time. http://www.mmodata.net is a good place to research subscription numbers.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Originally posted by Defect

Runes of Magic had a huge population last time I played. It has been a few years though. Since Aion is now Free to Play it would have to be the largest Free to Play MMORPG at this time. http://www.mmodata.net is a good place to research subscription numbers.

ROM lost a lot of people. I don't know why, I wasn't ever really a player, I just occasionally logged in to try out some stuff but every time I logged in there was less people. Now theres still a community there it just isn't nearly as big as it once was.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Having played all of the games mentioned in this thread in the last few months except RoM I would say without a doubt Aion has by far the biggest population right now. There are players freaking everywhere in that game right now. Second would be Lineage II followed by LotRO and Runescape. This has been my own personal experience over the last 4 months anyways for what it's worth.

I think NCsoft really has something with their "Truly Free" F2P model. The whole freaking game is free and you don't need to buy anything to be competitive. The Cash Shops in those games are 95% cosmetic items like pets, dyes and clothes which change appearance but add no stats. The other 5% is stuff like EXP boosters to help you level faster through PvE. There are no stat or health boosting items at all. When they do have an item like that (Usually a stat boosting Title in the case of Aion) it's usually during an event and it's free to everyone.

This has led to their F2P model being dominant in the F2P market right now. You don't have to pay for content, classes, quests, character slots, bag space, bank space or anything else that should be in the game already. In other words they don't nickle and dime you to death just to play the freaking game. You get to play the whole game for free and if you choose you can pay them to pimp out your character or your house with some cool cosmetic stuff.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

facebook!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Runes of Magic got bunch of their population back after its last big update and if you get onto the Euro servers you will see even more people. There is somewhere around 4 million playing it.

Aion may be second...maybe. Vindictus isnt far from it. there are always a ton of people on in that game but it is NOT open world, its all instanced...combat is great in that game and is a great break from the normal MMO flow. Lineage 2 is also popular still.

I wont place LoTRo on the list because its a pay trap game, not a F2P game. Any game that has parts of it closed to those that pay...is not a free game.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson