Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WvW: What will the Meta Game look like?

FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

Featured article can be found here: http://divinitysreach.blogspot.com/2012/05/battle-of-dreaming-bay.html#more

With siege weapons, keeps, towers, guards, supply, NPC factions, 3 realms, and massive battles, it can be a very difficult to imagine what WvWvW really looks like, especially if you have never played the game.  I have prepared an article that provides a brief image of what the meta game might look like; a warzone that centers around supply, siege weapons, and the coordination of skilled guilds and groups of players.

My question for you is, what do you think the meta-game of WvW will look like in several months post-launch? Will it only center around a few, elite guilds, or do you think there is room for the random player? Please share your thoughts with us!

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

Comments

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

It's not really a "featured article" so much as 2 paragrahs that slightly describe an imbedded video.    The imbed isn't that great as it's so small that one must click on the the "Watch in Youtube" button to view it properly.    Also, the way that the paragraphs read, it seems that there's no relation between the author and the guild video other than it being one random one found on Youtube.   Using this to plug your own blog isn't very.....well, let's just say it needs a lot of work.

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145
    Originally posted by Siphaed

It's not really a "featured article" so much as 2 paragrahs that slightly describe an imbedded video.    The imbed isn't that great as it's so small that one must click on the the "Watch in Youtube" button to view it properly.    Also, the way that the paragraphs read, it seems that there's no relation between the author and the guild video other than it being one random one found on Youtube.   Using this to plug your own blog isn't very.....well, let's just say it needs a lot of work.

I do not know of a better way to imbed videos in Blogger.  If you do know a better way please provide some tips, I would love to know.  Second, the video is a great showcase of the potential of WvW, and provides a glimpse at what end game WvW might look like.  I disagree with your view, but your input is definitely noted.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Several months after launch?

I think we will see WvWvW playing out exactly as we did with Daoc .... large zerg tug-of-wars. Some of those will be spearheaded by decent guilds, while other guilds will be doing what mine will .....  surfing and backdooring.

In Daoc you had two type ofs guilds when it came to pvp , the roamers and the zerg leaders. I'd wager the system will be the same in Gw2.

Originally posted by Redemp

Several months after launch?

I think we will see WvWvW playing out exactly as we did with Daoc .... large zerg tug-of-wars. Some of those will be spearheaded by decent guilds, while other guilds will be doing what mine will .....  surfing and backdooring.

In Daoc you had two type ofs guilds when it came to pvp , the roamers and the zerg leaders. I'd wager the system will be the same in Gw2.

With 2-week long games, and the amount of time it will take for Realms to be adequately rated, I would say 2-3 months is not a bad guess.  We won't truly know who the best realms are, and thus the top quality of end-game WvW PvP, until the top realms  face off with each other.  Many other MMOs have continually evolving end-game PvP that adapts to flavor of the month type builds and strategies, I don't see why Guild Wars 2 would be too different in that respect.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

First off, thanks Finit for posting that video. That fight was nearly everything I hope for WvWvW to be.

I'm curious to see how the easy server migration policy will affect things.Yes you have a couple weeks you can't help, but after that, I could see a flashmob migration to/from a sreuggling server changing the game bigtime.

One of my REAL fears for WvWvW is if it stagnates, and we find there's 2-3 "good" servers that always win, so everyone jins them or refuses to fight against them.

Originally posted by terrant

First off, thanks Finit for posting that video. That fight was nearly everything I hope for WvWvW to be.

I'm curious to see how the easy server migration policy will affect things.Yes you have a couple weeks you can't help, but after that, I could see a flashmob migration to/from a sreuggling server changing the game bigtime.

One of my REAL fears for WvWvW is if it stagnates, and we find there's 2-3 "good" servers that always win, so everyone jins them or refuses to fight against them.

I truly think the deciding factor for a "good" server will be if the server has a good leader. Servers who aren't united under one common leader or "tribunal" will simply get shut down by those who are.

^ Prediction based on BWE and Daoc.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

A small nitpick: why people still use metagame to describe simple game/strategy development? Strategy, tactics, builds, etc, are not metagame, they are game.

Metagame pertains to things outside the game's boundaries.

To answer the question: I have no idea. Really, there are too many variables and too little information available for us at the moment. I think what the other poster wrote here is true, though: it should be similar to DAoC's RvR, with lots of fodder and some spearheads popping up here and there.

I know I'll be fodder for a while =P But what's a war without casualties, right?

Originally posted by StrixMaxima

A small nitpick: why people still use metagame to describe simple game/strategy development? Strategy, tactics, builds, etc, are not metagame, they are game.

To answer the question: I have no idea. Really, there are too many variables and too little information available for us at the moment. I think what the other poster wrote here is true, though: it should be similar to DAoC's RvR, with lots of fodder and some spearheads popping up here and there.

I know I'll be fodder for a while =P But what's a war without casualties, right?

I think guilds, community, and strategy developed outside of the game count as metagame, but I could be wrong.  I'm not sure if zerging will be as effective as it was in other games.  The limiting factor is blueprints, supply, money, and siege weapons and doesn't scale entirely to a player.  From my experience, 3 players in a well-defend keep, with pre-built siege engines can defend 20 invaders utilizing one siege engine.

One thing I hope they do is severly nerf Seige weapon damage, and do something with Arrow Carts. 

I do enjoy the idea behind Arrow Carts .... but it clearly needed some work.

Originally posted by Redemp

One thing I hope they do is severly nerf Seige weapon damage, and do something with Arrow Carts. 

I do enjoy the idea behind Arrow Carts .... but it clearly needed some work.

Agreed, at least nerf siege weapon damage to players, not necessarily doors.  I remember seeing a post that said Arrow Carts cooldown on attacks was getting nerfed in the official forums.  I would go and find it, but they cleared all posts a couple of weeks ago.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Easy server migrations is only for PvE. In order to switch servers for WvW, as in change your home server, you must pay a fee and it's on a cooldown.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

because people are stupid and want to destroy the argument by making false links.  Like people who say WoW is a sandbox game.  Don't react to what they do just be informed about them.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Master10K

Easy server migrations is only for PvE. In order to switch servers for WvW, as in change your home server, you must pay a fee and it's on a cooldown.

That's actually what I was talking about. The fee, iirc, is about 5 dollars. It's on a 2 week cooldown.

Compared to some other games, that's pretty simple. especially since you can buy gems with ingame currency.