Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeon Overlord: If You Loved Dungeon Keeper...

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Ack! A Facebook game review? What ARE we thinking? It appears that there is actually a reason to check out Dungeon Overlord and we have tons of reasons why. Keep reading!

I know what you are thinking: why in the hell are we reviewing social network games? As a virtual enthusiast myself, I feel your anger and your pain. I remember the days when the best entertainment a flash website could conjure was "Strip Snake", but as Dylan once sung "the-times-they-are-ah-changin'". Now we must suffer through the age of Facebook; the time of knowing exactly what everyone you have ever known is doing at any point; a time of being unable to shake those people you would rather forget from high school; and definitely a time when virtual cowboy hats, unthinkably boring farm simulators, and requesting "cabbage" from others is classified as "gaming" as well as social.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Dungeon Overlord: If You Loved Dungeon Keeper...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Dungeon Empires ( http://dungeonempires.gamigo.com/ ) is another great browser-based MMO for people who enjoy Dungeon Keeper.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

Saw this post and after playing Dungeon Keeper along time ago i decided to give it a whirl, and to my surprise i've found myself glued to the screen for the past hour it's quite entertaining for a FB game :)

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    With all thise Facebook jabs, it seems like someone still hasn't found the privacy settings.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• AristabulusAristabulus Member Posts: 6

This game is nothing more than Foo*Ville with a fantasy wrapper.  Once upon a time I gave it an hour, and then ragequitted because of the "click all the things!" gameplay.  It boggles my mind that these glorified Skinner boxes are called games by anyone.

If you loved Dungeon Keeper... then go play Dungeon Keeper, seriously.  GOG has DK1 & DK2 for cheap. (separately, iirc)

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

DK was a great game I remember you could zoom into the FPS perspective of the monster you selected and control the thing directly. Very ahead of its time

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Ahh Dungeon Keeper... I loved Bullfrog... Yet another studio EA bought up and raped to death.

They seem determined to kill good things.

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

"Like coming out of the closet of sexual preference, I must admit I find it difficult finding the strength and bravery to make this admittance "

what the hell kind of allegory is this?  reminds of somthing Tobias would say on Arrested Development.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by vesavius

Ahh Dungeon Keeper... I loved Bullfrog... Yet another studio EA bought up and raped to death.

+1

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

I got up to about 20 Dungeons in it,spent 30 bucks total was fun but was taking too much micro-management time so stopped playing. I booted up DK-2 a few months ago was a fun game indeed. A DK-3 is really over due,sure it would have good sales,as long as they did it right and kept the humour in it.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Totally. I can't wait to say "I saw it coming" when EA starts to take Bioware for granted and pump their creativity like a jacked-up oil well.

Anybody up for Dragon Age 3, 4, and the 2012 Olympics edition? Maybe Madden'll make an appearance as well.

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Zillen

Totally. I can't wait to say "I saw it coming" when EA starts to take Bioware for granted and pump their creativity like a jacked-up oil well.

Well, not to get off topic so it's allI will say here, but some would say thats already happened.

The only difference really is that Bullfrog was merged into a generic UK studio while other devs EA own are being merged into the Bioware brand. It really isn't the same studio it was a couple of years or whatever ago, except in name.

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

Ok, I remember Dungeon Keeper, and this isn't anything like it. To say this game is horrible doesn't describe it at all. If your eyes are glued to the screen, it's because of the insanely long waiting period between builds just for low level rooms. On top of that, your severely limited as far as how many rooms you can build at once. Even worse still, you have to upgrade rooms in a big square. Great... at least until you have to upgrade that same room, or at least overlap into another room because you had to sell those tiles. Seriously, Night Owl, please don't sit there and swear up and down that this is just like DK, because your game falls painfully short of that. Did I mention that you don't get to train your imps in this game? Unlike in DK, you can train your imps so they work faster.... Talk about falling short...

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

For a lot of these flash games, what kills it for me is the forced pvp.    I would enjoy them a lot more if there were pure pve versions.

• GrnfrflygrlGrnfrflygrl Member Posts: 1

SwampRob, the major problem with the forced pvp in this game is that defence is so OP that players NEED to attack ONLY those players much much weaker than them.  This prey on the weak and new mentality means that a lot of big players move to new areas to find the best dungeons and then cause people to rage quit.  You can look in many sections of the game and see nothing but inactive accounts now.

The game is broken, come midgame there is a massive upkeep issue, that means only those players with a ton of support from other players can have end game creatures. They don't even have all the endgame features yet, notably dragons!  So to say this game is not in beta anymore is a total joke.  

The fact that they solicit advice from players and then use it to patch the game, but then charge a monthly subscription fee to that patch is laughable and was partly the reason I finally quit.  Coupled with all the other broken aspects of the game, it was just too much and I was done.  It's not a hardcore game, it's not a social game, it is a facebook ville game with a lot of issues.

The fact that they closed their facebook wall so that players cant comment, good or bad, and that they delete and ban people who post negative reviews on their forums (yes me in my goodbye post) just drives another nail into their coffin for me.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

Thanks for the update.   Now I'll know to definitely avoid this game.

I'm frequently bummed out by the forced pvp that some games have.   I never, EVER, want to pvp, not one battle or duel, it's just not something I enjoy.   I'd probably still be playing EVE today if the PVP gang-mentaility wasn't so rampant and non-optional.   I've lost any interest I had in Secret World because of it's heavy PvP influence.   I got an invite to the beta and then couldn't be bothered to even download it because of this obvious bias.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Both dungeon keeper games were great for their time. Dont think I could get into a new one without vastly improved graphics along with new play options though.

But it does look decent for a facebook app...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

Is this the typical FB game where you need to have 8 million FB friends to get anywhere??...If so, not interested.