Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resub to RIFT or Play WoW for first time?

Comments

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Oh cmon, how can people suggest he play Rift over WoW?

WoW is obviously FAR superior.

I would suggest he plays the free 20 levels, I'm sure that will be enough to hook him.

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

I'll keep this short.

Rift.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I'd say try WoW. Rift is much more linear than WoW. WoW has a starter area for each race which makes playing alts or just starting over again giving it a higher replay value. WoW has more content and if your into PvP there is way more to do. The dungeons are bigger and blah blah blah. I'm not saying Rift is a bad game, I like it, but if you haven't played WoW you owe it to yourself to play it. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

WoW... and shoot for a higher population server.  If you roll on alliance, goblin is a race to get a good feel for the modernization of WoW.  Amazing starting zone.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by XAPGames

WoW... and shoot for a higher population server.  If you roll on alliance, goblin is a race to get a good feel for the modernization of WoW.  Amazing starting zone.

I think that for the first time playing WoW they should either play in the human starting near Stormwind or an Orc near Orgimmar. That would set the WoW scene better than the confusion of the goblin starting area. Although I liked the goblin area (not as much as the Worgen story) it just didn't feel like it fit in with the rest of the game. Once off the ship, and in Durator I was at home! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

I think you meant worgen image

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I'm kinda surprised so many are saying Rift....IMO WoW blows Rift out of the water for everything except graphics.....  If you've never played WOW I'd suggest playing it.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Ghabbo

I think you meant worgen image

Doh!  thank-you, yes I did.

I do that too often lately.  I think I need my meds adjusted.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • DobahDobah Member Posts: 8

From what I've experienced from WoW from 1-20 for the first time:

*Getting my face owned in PvP (Twinks are crazy)

*Decent leveling

*Fun with addons

*Dungeons are more advanced than RIFT

* High Activity and constant groups forming

But I feel that I cant really judge the game at all until I'm 85 and idk how long that will take from level 20

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I'd say sub WoW. It is the top MMO for a reason and you may be one of the people who finds it to be their favorite. While it isn't my favorite I have played all of the expansions to Level Cap and have raided/PvPed all of them.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Sinaku

I'd say sub WoW. It is the top MMO for a reason and you may be one of the people who finds it to be their favorite. While it isn't my favorite I have played all of the expansions to Level Cap and have raided/PvPed all of them.

And McDonald's is one top selling restaurants for a reason too. Doesn't make it the best food or even food that you should even eat.

Both WoW and McDonalds are top for the same reason. You get in, get what you need and get out.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Dobah

Currently on the line about Resubing to RIFT with all the new things they have added, but at the same time I've never played WoW before and I was thinking about buying the game (now that all of the Expansions are $60) and playing it for the first time. 

What do you guys think?

If you havent played WoW i suggest you try it. Its definitely worth the try and play.  Once you do that, then its only up to YOU to decide which one you want to stick with.... We all try to brainwash peoiple with what we like... which most likely is not exactly what you like too. I played about 3 months of Rift and the game sure is not for me. On the other hand i played WoW for some time and liked it. I dont sub and resub to any mmo with payments but i end up buying 1 month of WoW here and there (every few months in between). If you like PvP then Rift is getting a new content for 3 faction pvp soon. Its great thing but im a PvE person and PvE in Rift is far form what i want (including Lore).

Try both games then decide. You might find a home in one game, and after months of playing you feel like switching for a while to have a break from the same.

People have different taste, opinions, and suggestions. That was mine. Whoever tells you Go with X because Y is a joke, is a troll. Follow your taste.

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

+1

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Currently on the line about Resubing to RIFT with all the new things they have added, but at the same time I've never played WoW before and I was thinking about buying the game (now that all of the Expansions are $60) and playing it for the first time. 

What do you guys think?

Your post made me sign into mmorpg.com to give you my insight...

Wow is a more polished game, smoother gameplay, probably better raids, better pvp for sure.  Catacylsm was a stinky joke, and dont let the promises of MoP fool you.  Do you want to pay 15$ a month for rehashed raid content, farmville, and pokemon/Michel Vicking your pets?  Scenarios, which I was excitied for, actually look completely boring.  I do not think the expansion will do well, and I can say almost for a fact that it is the most controversial WoW expansion to date.  I played wow for years, I miss WoW, but I do not like the direction it is headed, and even though my friends nostalgiically play the game still, I cant spend 15 a month on it knowing what else is out there.  I miss what the game USED to be...2-3 years ago.  Even back in BC...now THAT was WoW.  MoP is going to suck harder than cataclysm.  And 9/10 people hated cata.

Onto Rift.  Its talent system is interesting.  Graphics are good if your computer can run them (only game my computer has issues with), combat is clunky and I think at times is shitty, dungeons give you a read dungenony feel, story sucks, but the endgame content is SECOND TO NONE.  Trion is BY FAR the best Endgame Content developer out there.  I dont care if you play SWTOR, WoW, GW2, Tera...these guys pump out content and different features and gaming systems faster than you can believe it.  Other than the typical dallies, raids, pvp, hardmode dungeons...they have:  Onslaughts(build defenses and defend against waves of mobs), invasions (mobs spawn and run rampant in the world destroying things), Rifts(same as invasions but you can attempt to close these), Instant adventures (queue up for "invasion" like combat, in the real world, not instanced...very fun), Chronicles (1-2 man dungeons that take 20-30 minutes and are story driven).  Upcoming : you know the open world PVP stuff they announced. 

Rift is great.  Id be playing it if I ddint like Tera so much, if Rift wouldnt run like shit and if GW2 wasnt around the corner,.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

You already hit Rift 50. Move on bro. Expand your XP.

Go and play WOW - GW2 - The Elder Scroll Online - Firefall - Archeage.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by Sinaku

It is the top MMO because when it came out, the devos did a better job than EQ did (WoW "copied" its basic architecture from EQ).  Everyone flocked to WoW, it became a phenom for 5 years.  Now look at the genre,.  People clamor for better PVP content, more PVE content, DIFFERENT PVE CONTENT...  Blizzard is FINALLY getting to it with Scenarios and from the looks of it, it fails.  Scenarios do not cause you to break a sweat or think.  Boring stuff really. 

Not saying that Trion provides content that is uber more challanging, but they provide more systems and things for you to do at end game, when you hit max level.  Instant adventures and chronicles alone plunge you past the run of the mill endgame BS that WoW shovels. 

People, at least the people i know, play wow for nostalgia.  They are narrowminded and too stubborn to see what else is out there.  They are afraid if they drop WoW for a month, try Tera for the combat, try GW2 for the leveling experience, try Rift for the dynamic world...they are afraid they will realize that these devos are doing something right and what is Blizzard doing for them?  When people suggest things, state things wrong with the game, complain... Blizzard says "We disagree, we think this..."  Trion and others say "We've heard you and as a result we are implimenting XYZ system into our game in an upcoming patch".

Big difference right there.

From what I've experienced from WoW from 1-20 for the first time:

*Getting my face owned in PvP (Twinks are crazy)

*Decent leveling

*Fun with addons

*Dungeons are more advanced than RIFT

* High Activity and constant groups forming

But I feel that I cant really judge the game at all until I'm 85 and idk how long that will take from level 20

Not caring much about PVP but addressing the other few points:

-Leveling in Rift is better because you do your boring quests as in WoW, but also close Rifts(dynamically forming anywhere in game), and participating in invasions in any zone in the game.  Those two things provide more content and diversity than WoW can ever hope for.

-Fun with addons...please dont tell me you need an addon to have fun.

-Dungeons may be more "advanced"...not at lower level thats for sure.  Want an advanced dungeon?  Run Golden Labyrenth in Tera.  Thats a fun one.

-High activity....doubt it.  People solo quest.  Noone does group quests cause there are NONE>  They removed them.  There are more group quests in SWTOR, Rift, Tera.  Not to mention, GW2 semi forces group content via dynamic events. 

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I would suggest WOW

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

having played both (wow for aboutr 5 years and rift for about 9 to 12 months) i'd say this.

wow if the vibrance of your surroundings is important to you... unless you're into steampunk in which i woujld give rift the nod.

rift if you're a fan of tinkering with your "build"

wow if humor and lightheartedness is something you enjoy in your games

rift  if supporting a company who "does it the right way" (IE trion) is important to you

either if you enjoy raids

wow if you want to steam roll thru the earlier levels to get to the maxlevel stuff, rift if you want to take it slower.

neither if you want a house for your character (play eq2 for that  or LOTR ^^)

wow if going through the same early zones on alts bothers you

rift if you want to be aBle to play "nonstandard" archtypes, such as a tank rogue or ranged DD cleric.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Rift has some unique features WoW doesn't have such as public quests, multiclass talent trees,  and solo and duo raids, but the real meat and potatos of the game (questing, 5-mans, and raiding) are done better in WoW I think.

Expand your MMORPG horizons and give WoW an honest look.  Pound for pound, WoW may not be unable to compete with Rift graphically; however, Azeroth feels like a living, breathing world and Rift can't quite match WoW's art direction zone-by-zone.

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279

What do you guys think?

Why not just try the starter game  for wow first 20 lvls free then make a better informed choice.

You ask question here all the answer you get are from lover and haters of each game claiming thier game is better, maybe just make your own mind up.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

As many have said, do the WoW trial. Try out the different classes to level 20 for free. If you can get over the horrible graphics for this day and age, you might enjoy it. Nothing lost and if you don't like it you can resub to Rift.

imageimage
  • MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331

Despite it not being my cupt of tea, WoW is still a well built game, I would strongly recommend it if you have not played it... It can also help with perspective later on, and comparisons... etc..

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Ares31
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

WoW is a far superior game and is much more enjoyable while leveling.  The quests are much better, and the world, although cartoonish, is much more lively and engaging.  

Go with WoW.  

LMAO

Your kidding right?

RIft blows away Wow in every way. Its no contest. I just resubbed to RIFT and the devs have been hard at work. The game is AMAZING now. You have to check it out.

Many people are coming back due to Conquest, and the server im on, Wolfsbane is very very active. I cant believe how much has gone on since I left.

Wow? Give me a break. Its nothing more then a cartoon with 12 year olds playing these days. People are leaving it in droves, everyone is sick to death of it.

Rift has a more mature player base as well. You dont hear the LRNHOWTOPLAYNOOBSLOLROFLCOPTER hurp durp crap as well.

Rift or WoW?

Puhlease...>RIFT all the way........

Fanboy... Not even a comparison, graphics are nearly irrelevant in this case... I dislike both games, and I can't believe I'm defending WoW, but sadly Rift is a grindfest wow clone, nothing more. Pathetic.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

i agree i like the game abit but i still agree with many posters here try it out and make your own mind up.

you might like it but then again you might not so if you try it and fin d out its not for you then you havnt lost more then some time.