Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera combat is similar to NGE combat

arrannycarrannyc Member UncommonPosts: 7

I like the combat in Tera. It is fun.

I can't help but think how similar it is to the combat in the NGE though.

Anyone else noticed this or has my memory faded with time?

Comments

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I bought TERA cause it was on sale today for half price. So far I find it to be the opposite of what my friends and the site have told me. Everyone and everything screamed action MMO.. Yet I feel rooted in place when doing 90% of the moves in the game.

Can't move and swing a great sword.

Can't move and fire an arrow.

After coming off the GW2 betas.. This feels like a step in reverse for me.

-shrug- I am going to keep at it for a bit longer.

• Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133

It does seem a lot like the nge combat , but its still fairly fun 

Yes it does root you in place , I don't think they advertised " true action combat " as a character running around in circles flailing a giant sword in front of him as if he was trying to trim down bushes. 

It was meant as more of a dodge and counter attack players type of true action combat , as opposed to two players standing in front of each other slapping one another. 

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

I bought TERA cause it was on sale today for half price. So far I find it to be the opposite of what my friends and the site have told me. Everyone and everything screamed action MMO.. Yet I feel rooted in place when doing 90% of the moves in the game.

Play street figther and preform a special attack, what happens to your character?  People need to learn what an action game truly is before buying TERA and not understand who the game works.

You can, like in many action games, cancel attacks into evades or chained attacks.  Slayers do this. Warriors do this. Lancers do this.  Almost every skill moves your character forward or backwards and can be controlled   which way you go by facing your character in the desired direction.

Iceskating is not what makes a  game an action game.  GW2 is coming out soon enough you guys can skate all you want over there.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725

Ive been playing since release and also find it clunky. I'll play it for the rest of the month, but I just cant make myself like the combat.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

You do move when your perform melee attacks.  It's just that you move forward, so if there's a mob in the way, it stops you.  Try aiming off to the side when you fight.  It's an unusual sort of mobility, but its not as rooted as it seemed to me, at first.

(most attacks have a wide enough arc that they still land, even if you're aiming to move around your opponent, instead of right at them.)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• SfaliaraSfaliara Member Posts: 438

This is how combat is in action games maybe with the exception of Mount & Blade. It makes the combat more tactical.

I'm sorry, but I can find "tactical" combat in other titles that feels much less restrictive. Being "tactical" and restricting movement do not have to go hand in hand.

Edit - I understand that is what TERA is based on ( at least now I do ) and I understand that some of you like that. I do feel however, that you will find yourself in the minority on this front. Both now and even more in the future. I had two friends drum this up to be a bit more than it was and I plan on taking my 30 dollars out on their hides later.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

just play a sorc.

you get one "blink forward" a jump back and a jump back attack that slows...so you have 3 forms of skill based movement.

On top of that, other than the brief pause to cast, most of you skills are meant to be used while moving.  You even get a lock on skill that can select multiple targets and you briefly stop to cast then keep moving.

I think melee is what gets it rough, but then, they have built in survivability.  That said...it takes me a whole lot of running around and attacking as a sorc to kill a melee class...when that melee class just has to get one or two of those "locked in animation" skills off to kill me...usually one.

If you wanted stickybacking while whailing on people with skills you chose the wrong game...and theres many, many games out there like that for you.

This game has a unique approach that doesnt favor people with hand/finger FPS dexterity...the person who zig zags and bunny hops the most while mainintaining the cross hairs ont he other guy doing the same isnt guranteed to win...

It actually, the "aww i can run while attacking with skills" is great because it actually makes for good dodge strategy...notice the animation thats may cause that character to stay locked up for a few seconds, move then use a skill with quicker animation.

Not all of melees skills make you locked up for a perverbial lifetime...just the ones that facerape...and my sorcs the same way, the one shotter skills takes ages to cast, is very obvious and even lights up a ring of fire ont he ground while charging to give you an oppertunity to move. (granted your not rooted )

Very entertaining combat system once you get over the fact that its diffrent.  Its a shame its in a feature-less game and a mediocre themepark.  In time it might be a really solid mmorpg, but right now its all about the scenery and combat and not much else.

Originally posted by Crunchy221e.

Very entertaining combat system once you get over the fact that its diffrent.  Its a shame its in a feature-less game and a mediocre themepark.  In time it might be a really solid mmorpg, but right now its all about the scenery and combat and not much else.

Yeah I am kinda bumbling around it atm, waiting for something to grab hold of me. Oddly enough I am on a sorc atm.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Crunchy221e.

Yeah I am kinda bumbling around it atm, waiting for something to grab hold of me. Oddly enough I am on a sorc atm.

It definately takes some getting use to, and i think some time after level 20 it gets pretty good.

Its a game where you need to have a fair amount of skills at your disposal or it is rather dry with 3-5 skills.

Think its called flame barrage, was very entertaining if you like kiting, paired with your ice missle and magma bomb ect.

What grabbed me tbh, was that it was something i needed to learn, which i liked, wasnt something you just log in the first time and have it masterd like most mmorpg combat.  That and the scenery...was very fun grinding those quests with some fantastic scenery.  That is once i got the hang of the combat.  Dungeons were a blast too, those boss fights...your not just standing back and spamming the DPS rotation you gotta move and dodge as the boss tends to be very mobile with lots of aoe and cleaves.

I'm sorry, but I can find "tactical" combat in other titles that feels much less restrictive. Being "tactical" and restricting movement do not have to go hand in hand.

Edit - I understand that is what TERA is based on ( at least now I do ) and I understand that some of you like that. I do feel however, that you will find yourself in the minority on this front. Both now and even more in the future. I had two friends drum this up to be a bit more than it was and I plan on taking my 30 dollars out on their hides later.

You like  sliding while casting and attacking as movement doesn't even matter in a tab target/aoe spam combat anyways and movement is almost completely just a fluff feature in combat when two ranged classes meet.  The majority of people that will continue playing TERA understood the combat before they even bought the game and it's why they bought the game. You bought the game because it's on sale and found out the combat isn't to your liking.  

Save yourself the time and stop playing the game.  I'd love to encourage you and tell you it gets better but you are asking  or desire something that TERA isn't and much more sounds like GW2  or some other hybrid  tab target combat.

And one last thing... Sorc is rated 2 stars = just about as boring as a class can get.  The combat is easy and so easy anyone with a brain and isn't easily amused by high numbers will not want to play.  tank a bam as any melee class and if you still think the combat is slow and clunky then like i said just quit the game as it isn't for you.  

lvl 60 Warrior 

lvl 46 Zerker

lvl 38 lancer

I will never return to a tab targetting game.

EDIT: Double posted.

Originally posted by Clocksimus

You like  sliding while casting and attacking as movement doesn't even matter in a tab target/aoe spam combat anyways and movement is almost completely just a fluff feature in combat when two ranged classes meet.  The majority of people that will continue playing TERA understood the combat before they even bought the game and it's why they bought the game. You bought the game because it's on sale and found out the combat isn't to your liking.  

Save yourself the time and stop playing the game.  I'd love to encourage you and tell you it gets better but you are asking  or desire something that TERA isn't and much more sounds like GW2  or some other hybrid  tab target combat.

And one last thing... Sorc is rated 2 stars = just about as boring as a class can get.  The combat is easy and so easy anyone with a brain and isn't easily amused by high numbers will not want to play.  tank a bam as any melee class and if you still think the combat is slow and clunky then like i said just quit the game as it isn't for you.  

lvl 60 Warrior 

lvl 46 Zerker

lvl 38 lancer

I will never return to a tab targetting game.

You make a fatal error in your accessment of GW2 (and hell plenty of other games for that matter).

"You like  sliding while casting and attacking as movement doesn't even matter in a tab target/aoe spam combat anyways and movement is almost completely just a fluff feature in combat when two ranged classes meet."

Guess what.. active dodging, los and positioning, counters, effect fields, yeah all those matter in GW2 buddy. Just cause you need to hover targetting retical over something doesn't make it drastically different or drastically better. Also yes.. GW2 has tab targetting but when your in a skirmish it also works in a similiar fashion as TERA.. IE if you don't select anyone you can manually aim.

You make a fatal error in your accessment of GW2 (and hell plenty of other games for that matter).

"You like  sliding while casting and attacking as movement doesn't even matter in a tab target/aoe spam combat anyways and movement is almost completely just a fluff feature in combat when two ranged classes meet."

Guess what.. active dodging, los and positioning, counters, effect fields, yeah all those matter in GW2 buddy. Just cause you need to hover targetting retical over something doesn't make it drastically different or drastically better. Also yes.. GW2 has tab targetting but when your in a skirmish it also works in a similiar fashion as TERA.. IE if you don't select anyone you can manually aim.

So then I ask you  this, why did you buy TERA knowing it isn't anything like GW2, knowing you want combat featured in GW2 and then complaining about the combat because it isn't the same as GW2? I would also ask you not to refer to me as buddy as I'm not your friend.  I am simply here  to  try and understand why people that clearly  want to play GW2 keep complaining other games aren't GW2 and therefore somehow critically flawed.

I'm sorry if i offended you by not praising GW2 and calling it the MMO savior.  TERA will hopefully never become GW2 and therfore i believe it's really best you just save yourself the trouble as I said in my previous post.

So then I ask you  this, why did you buy TERA knowing it isn't anything like GW2, knowing you want combat featured in GW2 and then complaining about the combat because it isn't the same as GW2? I would also ask you not to refer to me as buddy as I'm not your friend.  I am simply here  to  try and understand why people that clearly  want to play GW2 keep complaining other games aren't GW2 and therefore somehow critically flawed.

I'm sorry if i offended you by not praising GW2 and calling it the MMO savior.  TERA will hopefully never become GW2 and therfore i believe it's really best you just save yourself the trouble as I said in my previous post.

I bought it because it was on sale for less than 25 dollars already. I bought it because two friends misrepresented it. I bought it because I didn't pour over it in advance with my usual enthusiasm. In effect I made the fatal flaw or relying on friends and community to represent a game accurately. So in short.. Its my own damn fault.

You didn't offend me at all. I just set the record straight about "that other game" that you were in effect doing the same things others did with TERA.... Misrepresenting...

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

I bought it because it was on sale for less than 25 dollars already. I bought it because two friends misrepresented it. I bought it because I didn't pour over it in advance with my usual enthusiasm. In effect I made the fatal flaw or relying on friends and community to represent a game accurately. So in short.. Its my own damn fault.

You didn't offend me at all. I just set the record straight about "that other game" that you were in effect doing the same things others did with TERA.... Misrepresenting...

at least it only cost you 25 bucks, it costed me 70 to pay some Chinese guy to get into KOBT and the first month of release and I only ended up playing for 3 weeks out of 6 weeks and quitting out of disappointed.

it's kinda funny how most of the Tera crowd seem to think using a reticle somewhat makes combat harder even though most of the mobs have huge hit boxes that pretty much means you never miss your skills, well I never did. and most of the fight amounts to a rotation with minor movement when the mob in flashing red light tells you to get ready to dodge.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Op

I've got Friends who like to talk about the combat for extended periods of time. Then I watch videos and it's almost nothing like they describe it as for the most part. So I made the decision not to buy based on that. Maybe I'll try it another time.

I don't mind tab targeting in an mmo, but action combat sounds good to me, just not like this I don't think.

Now, Planetside 2 on the other hand... Fps combat is where it's at in my opinion.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

By NGE combat do you mean.

A FPS style targetting system hashed onto a MMO engine that didnt really work very weell,  was highly affected by pings as low as 200ms and caused 1000s of players to quit or in my case PAY to move from the server all my friends were as it was simply unplayable for a Day 1 European who had made his home on Eclipse months before the EU servers came out.

Its nothing like that :)

Seriously though yeah its pretty similar tab to target but manual aim at said target.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

you do know that in actual combat you cant run around speedly in circles while auto attacking enemys. think you been playing wow to long  and staying in place for 90% of your moves is total bullcrap even the lancer which is made for tanking, even then 90% is total bullcrap 80% also total bullcrap 70% also total bulcrap 60% also total bullcrap ect.

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

you do know that in actual combat you cant run around speedly in circles while auto attacking enemys. think you been playing wow to long  and staying in place for 90% of your moves is total bullcrap even the lancer which is made for tanking, even then 90% is total bullcrap 80% also total bullcrap 70% also total bulcrap 60% also total bullcrap ect.

I can't cast fireballs in actual combat either. Things need to be both fun and feel fluid. Don't try and pull the realism card on me when everyone is running around in thongs and carrying swords the size of a car.

I haven't even spoken of WoW in this equation, you brought that up. I do know that I am totally mobile in that game while using melee.

To humor you and myself I just created several characters and took them into the prologue. I ran around autoattacking, which in this game is just holding down mouse one (and that is fine). The warrior was the only class with any semblance of motion while attacking. I gather that is due to the fast animation of the 1handed weapons. The other melee classes were much more planted while doing their auto attack. Their movement speed being reduced drastically while the animation played out. In many cases the animation totally dictates the next second or so of combat.

I do see the appeal for some players... It is more like a console fighting game than anything else I have seen (as was stated early by another TERA fan). So in most pvp battles (lots of youtube this morning) one side or the other appeared to be hitting air for the majority of the battle.

If I could jump right into the pvp and experience it first hand it may or may not be more interesting... but I appear to be locked into the typical and rather boring questing experience that the game offers for a new players.

The only pvp I have read about thus far is guild vs guild and open world pvp on the pvp servers.. Neither of which sound as if they will be very fun (and naturally not balanced) for a fresh new character. If I am mistaken about this, please point me in the right direction and I will go try the pvp first hand.

If not (shameless plug) I do know this other game that lets me jump right into lvl 80 pvp matches and scales all my stats in wvw so that I can enjoy these activities right from the get go.