Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO's Failing HORRIBLY

2»

Comments

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Experience, loot, skills, anythhing that advances your toon is required to get any MMO player to do anything so a game without it is doomed for longevity despite what casuals that can't keep up state.

Lately what has been killing MMOs is the lack of end game,  when I max out my 1 toon, I'm done and unsubscribe if it only takes a week or two.

I played Call of Duty for hours today with my brother they added an MMO system of prestige and ranks, each level unlocks something new.  MMO and RPG stuff is going to other games.   Achievments on XBL and other games are a form of that as well.

SWTOR's endgame guy came from EA, he was the endgame guy from warhammer.  No point in feeding bad choices,  take any endgame guild member of WoW, DoaC, EQ, Rift, the space ship MMO, and anything else with some form of endgame and they would do a much better job.   WoW stole EQ players to get the endgame ideas developed.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

It's heading in a direction I certainly don't like. Aside from a couple of weeks in a occasional f2p or an older game i've already played through., I haven't seen a game in this genre that i've really wanted to play in quite awhile now.

Been moving back to lobby-based games for PvP, and single player games for good RPG gameplay.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by jaywikid

I want a fighting game where you can block and counter not just press buttons to do moves. The WOW era is dead but yet game companys keep creating games that are just like it.

Even such combat gets boring when you've killed 50,000 mobs. There's just no way around that. Making combat feel skill based over time, would require it to constantly change, else you WILL get used to it and it will feel repetitive. Making combat feel skill based and varied over time, would be extremely hard for a developer, if possible at all.

The WoW era dead? Sorry, but WoW still has over 10m subs and is nowhere near dead, and though we all are sick and tired of companies trying to copy WoW, it isn't hard to see WHY they try.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

mmo's arent failing horribly.the community that plays them are

star wars the old republic is pretty much an example.sure,you can argue that the game was a quick cash grab,but it would of been a ton better if the community would of stuck with it

Haha, thats pretty funny.

If they made a game that people could have had fun with then most of the people would have stayed. I was only able to get to 46 before I just had no desire to log on anymore.

• letsxhatletsxhat Member Posts: 156

Let's hope swtor was an anomaly. 

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

The day I look for anything to do with console games is the day I pack in gaming.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

star wars the old republic is pretty much an example.sure,you can argue that the game was a quick cash grab,but it would of been a ton better if the community would of stuck with it

But there are mechanics built that do not encourage the players to form a community and socialize.  How can you even say that they've made an honest effort in making it a community oriented game?

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

This thread is a good example of why you should not do drugs children. Learn don't burn....

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

Well OP you are a very unique duck... You play a very small sample of game types and if you want an MMORPG like those fighter games you play there is only one currently being developed that I know of. It is called Blade and Soul and I am not even sure it is going to have a North American release.

But to the real point of the matter..... You dont like MMORPGs you like fighting games. So asking companies to make a MMORPG based on fighter game combat is really pushing it. RPGs are by the very basic nature more mature games then fighter games.. They are about Min maxing, number crunching, spec building.... Fighter games are about ohhh can I press my buttons faster then the other guy in the right order to pull off my uber attacks.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568
    Originally posted by uohaloran

But there are mechanics built that do not encourage the players to form a community and socialize.  How can you even say that they've made an honest effort in making it a community oriented game?

well look at swtors community

i hated the wow community when i played wow,so id hate the swtor community.id rather not socialize with a bunch of sobbing,immature,crybaby casuals.id rather tell them to stop complaining and give them a boost in the ass