Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

MMO's Failing HORRIBLY

jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member

I am starting this thread to find out if I am the only one that is begining to feel ashamed with how MMO's are being developed. I am tired of MMO's were all you do is press buttons to do combat, leveling up and quests. For example Dragon Ball Online, it was a button smashing game and yet now real battling. What would be so hard with developing a game like console games. I want a fighting game where you can block and counter not just press buttons to do moves. The WOW era is dead but yet game companys keep creating games that are just like it. Were is a game like the ninja gaiden games or Naruto games for console. I want a game that is action pack, not one were they say theres action but yet it just pushing 1-0 on the keyboard to do moves. I have an idea for the perfect Naruto mmo but yet no game company will even consider making it because it is qoute "Not whats in right now". If anyone knows of a game company looking for a great fighting mmo idea please post links or emails below.

«1

Comments

  • ozmonoozmono Not tellingPosts: 1,211Member

    This is probably going to end up in me being involved in the same discussion/arguement in two different places but here goes. Have you played Tera? or I hear Vindictus also has action combat but I haven't played it.

    Tera is very much like WoW but with action combat and I cannot comment on Vindictus.

  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member

    I have tried Vindictus and was even more ashamed with it then games like Zone4 and Splash Fighters. I havent played Tera only because I will not pay for a game unless I get a free trial. Even then I doubt I will pay monthly server time to play any game, I would rather just play my Naruto games on my Wii. I want a game based solely on fighting were you have to do combos to do moves or have built up energy to do the move. Not these button mashing games. I have played hundreds of MMO's and have never found one I even deem worthy to continue playing let alone pay for it. I want a MMO like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Naruto Revelution, or DBZ Budokai. I would even settle for seperate combat, just make it to were I can create a personal fighter and fight people, but NOT LIKE POKIE NINJA, that game is WHACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • xDayxxDayx St Charles, MOPosts: 712Member

    You could try Mortal Online. www.mortalonline.com

    All first person, Combat is mainly with the mouse.

    Its the complete opposite of a facerolling themepark. Make sure you put on your sportsbra before playing though.

    Been playing myself for 2 years about. The game keeps improving.

  • pacovpacov Saskatoon, SKPosts: 311Member

    Looks like this genre is not for you. MMORPGs do not have big history on revolving around action combat like in naruto games you so desire to play. The only things failing horribly here is your expectations for what MMORPGs should be. Sure many new ones are evolving a little bit, but no one said that WoW era is dead. You do know what happens to MMOs that stray too far from the norm right?

    image
  • rdrpappyrdrpappy Hamilton, OHPosts: 325Member
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    I have tried Vindictus and was even more ashamed with it then games like Zone4 and Splash Fighters. I havent played Tera only because I will not pay for a game unless I get a free trial. Even then I doubt I will pay monthly server time to play any game, I would rather just play my Naruto games on my Wii. I want a game based solely on fighting were you have to do combos to do moves or have built up energy to do the move. Not these button mashing games. I have played hundreds of MMO's and have never found one I even deem worthy to continue playing let alone pay for it. I want a MMO like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Naruto Revelution, or DBZ Budokai. I would even settle for seperate combat, just make it to were I can create a personal fighter and fight people, but NOT LIKE POKIE NINJA, that game is WHACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     So why do you haunt a site dedicated specifically to mmorpg's?

  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member

    I am looking for a fighting game like console games not first person, thats only good for shooters, also I stated I wont pay server time for a game.

     

  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member

    Because I am looking for a good fighting mmo, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

  • rdrpappyrdrpappy Hamilton, OHPosts: 325Member

    Oh that clears it up, but are you willing to "pay server time to play"

  • rdrpappyrdrpappy Hamilton, OHPosts: 325Member
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    Because I am looking for a good fighting mmo, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

    Mmorpg stands for massively multiplayer online roll playing game, you need an mmofps site.

    I think the closest thing around here is Planetside 2, but it's still in developement and it will have a subscription fee.

  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member

    If it is wat I am looking for it I would consider it but it would have to exactly like console fighting games, dont even have to be 3d

  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member
    Originally posted by rdrpappy
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    Because I am looking for a good fighting mmo, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

    Mmorpg stands for massively multiplayer online roll playing game, you need an mmofps site.

    I think the closest thing around here is Planetside 2, but it's still in developement and it will have a subscription fee.

    Well it would be an RPG because you would get to personalize you character and moves.

  • vee41vee41 TamperePosts: 191Member
    Originally posted by rdrpappy
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    Because I am looking for a good fighting mmo, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

    Mmorpg stands for massively multiplayer online roll playing game, you need an mmofps site.

    I think the closest thing around here is Planetside 2, but it's still in developement and it will have a subscription fee.

    Last I checked ps2 was f2p

  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member

    Yeah but there is no customization in fighting games

  • IAmMMOIAmMMO LondonPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    Because I am looking for a good fighting mmo, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

    Go play Darkfall 1 or Tera

  • ozmonoozmono Not tellingPosts: 1,211Member
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    Yeah but there is no customization in fighting games

    Might run into the same problem but the new street fighter v tekken game has some very limited customisation in regards to changing the colours of costumes but also in choosing "gems" to give perks to your fighters. It also has a fairly extensive online ranking systems and such.

    That said it definitely isn't a MMO or even a RPG.

  • ozmonoozmono Not tellingPosts: 1,211Member
    Originally posted by IAmMMO
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    Because I am looking for a good fighting mmo, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

    Go play Darkfall 1 or Tera

    He doesn't want to play a game with a sub. Might still be able to trial darkfall though I suppose. Is Darkfall running trials still? Personally I  wouldn't recommend darkfall to someone looking for good combat though but that is just my own taste I suppose.

  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member

    I just wished someone would take my idea for a naruto MMORPG and make it a reality. I dont have the time or money to develop the whole game alone. I dont even want to work on it either I just want to play it.

     

    I would work on it if the developer wanted me to, I just dont care if I work on it.

  • Crunchy221Crunchy221 Trollsberg, ILPosts: 489Member

    I think a large part of the problem with mmorpgs is that people dont realize that they are RPG's and dont realize they dislike RPGs.

    At least this guy gets it, rather than complaining that the mmorpg industry is dead/fails/ect

    I think there is a big future in making non RPG games with the open world enviroment and character customization...given how many people who play these games dont want anything to do with progression and "grind" that is the foundation of RPGs.

     

    May i suggest Global Agenda?  If you like Thrid person shooters, its got an open world starter area, then instanced PVE group work/death matches/ guild territory combat/ and a few fun "games" where one player in the PVE instance is a double agent and another where it pits 2 players on the side of the mobs in a pve instance vs the player group.

    not exactly a fighting game though but definately has a low RPG factor to it...kind of at least.

     

  • XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,916Member Uncommon

    What I like is when progression is semi-transparent in gameplay.

     

    For example today's achievement was traveling from town 3 to town 4 and I had to fight my way through an old catacomb to get there.  ... and in the process I went up 2 levels, but that wasn't the reason I went.

     

    For me that's much better gameplay than "I went out into the woods an killed 487 boars".


    Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member
    Originally posted by XAPGames

    What I like is when progression is semi-transparent in gameplay.

     

    For example today's achievement was traveling from town 3 to town 4 and I had to fight my way through an old catacomb to get there.  ... and in the process I went up 2 levels, but that wasn't the reason I went.

     

    For me that's much better gameplay than "I went out into the woods an killed 487 boars".

    I am just tired of games being based on experiance. I posted my idea for the Naruto MMORPG here on this site here is the link.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5020496/thread/352411#5020496

  • thexratedthexrated OuluPosts: 1,368Member Common
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    I am starting this thread to find out if I am the only one that is begining to feel ashamed with how MMO's are being developed. I am tired of MMO's were all you do is press buttons to do combat, leveling up and quests. For example Dragon Ball Online, it was a button smashing game and yet now real battling. What would be so hard with developing a game like console games. I want a fighting game where you can block and counter not just press buttons to do moves. The WOW era is dead but yet game companys keep creating games that are just like it. Were is a game like the ninja gaiden games or Naruto games for console. I want a game that is action pack, not one were they say theres action but yet it just pushing 1-0 on the keyboard to do moves. I have an idea for the perfect Naruto mmo but yet no game company will even consider making it because it is qoute "Not whats in right now". If anyone knows of a game company looking for a great fighting mmo idea please post links or emails below.

    WoW was an evolutionary product as well, it was in many ways similar to the games that came before it. The era of themepark MMOs is not over. It like saying that the era of FPSs is over because you are bored with the gameplay that differs very little from game to game.

    Unlike you, I think that MMOs should focus less on combat. They should focus on changing static worlds to dynamic worlds. No, rifts and events alone aren't enough. Players need to be able to develop, design and build parts of the game world....and have the ability to destroy some of it as well. Another thing that I believe should be changed is the auto-queue system to the content. The best MMOs created the social glue by making it beneficial for players to group together in order to achieve something. It was not about jumping straight to action, but involved travelling to the location and usually getting to know each other.

    The recent MMOs are less and less about social interaction, and more about instant gratification. Generally people feel more satisfied and the satisfaction lasts longer when something was achieved that required effort. I am not saying that instant gratification games should not exist, but the fact is that there just are way too many of them in the MMO arena.

    The final thing is that I no longer even expect to stay with an MMO for years. I tend to stay for 2-3 months and find something else to play or do for a bit.

     

    "The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

  • jaywikidjaywikid OKC, OKPosts: 12Member

    I am just tired of having to gain experiance to level up, and the ability to buy with real cash experiance making the game more towards P2P then F2P.

  • maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member

    Ideas are a dime a dozen.  We all have ideas.  Implementation is hard.

  • rdrpappyrdrpappy Hamilton, OHPosts: 325Member
    Originally posted by vee41
    Originally posted by rdrpappy
    Originally posted by jaywikid

    Because I am looking for a good fighting mmo, DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

    Mmorpg stands for massively multiplayer online roll playing game, you need an mmofps site.

    I think the closest thing around here is Planetside 2, but it's still in developement and it will have a subscription fee.

    Last I checked ps2 was f2p

     PS2 (Planet Side 2) is still in developement, it will be part of the Sony Station line up, I'm fairly certain you will have to pay to play the game.

  • CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 asdasd, INPosts: 568Member

    mmo's arent failing horribly.the community that plays them are

     

    star wars the old republic is pretty much an example.sure,you can argue that the game was a quick cash grab,but it would of been a ton better if the community would of stuck with it

     

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.